• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

~140gr in any 6.5mm, accuracy

Bevan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
I am hearing from a mate, that a gunsmith has told him that no 6.5mm will shoot a 140gr as well as a 120/130gr... it seems illogical to me... as long as you have sufficient twist it seems like there should be no reason why a 120/130 would shoot better.

So, how does your 6.5mm (any) shoot with 140s? as opposed to 120/130s? What twist/speed?

Re: ~140gr in any 6.5mm, accuracy

That "gunsmith" apparenly never heard of a little thing called
"twist rate". Tell you friend to take his rifle and run to a real gunsmith. The 140 grain Berger VLD will out shoot and outrange any 120-30 grain bullet IF the barrel is set up for that bullet.
Maybe that same "gunsmith" never heard of the 6.5x284 ?????

I'm gonna stop laughing now!

Was running 140gn lapua FMJBT in my sporterised swede, and they have been consistanly avereging an inch or so at 100m, good enough for me for hunting paper, and pigs.

JJ

Shoot 140 AMAX in my 6.5 Creedmoor and they shoot great. All I use. I would find another gunsmith.

Very interesting statement from your gunsmith. At best I would call it BS
wink.gif

Here in Scandinavia we've been shooting our 6.5x55's with 139-144 grain bullets with great results at least up to 600m for more then 50 years.
Over the last 10-15 years we've seen some improvements in bullets in .264 but that has mainly been in the ballistic area (better ballistic coefficents).
From a strictly accuracy point there hasn't been a lot of improvements and what improvements we've seen has also benefitted the 140 grain bullets. Bullets like 139 Scenar, 142 Sierra Match King and 140 Berger will without any doubt shoot as well as lighter bullets.
As previously stated twist rate will have a lot of influense on the final results but rest assured that given the proper twist the 140 grain bullets will shoot!!

Best regards,
Henrik

I have shot litterly thousands of 140 AMAXs and 142 sierras in my 6.5x284s an my 260s an am shooting the 139s in my 6.5x55. All I can say is they shoot GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I prefer the 123s & 130s in the 260s but not the 6.5x284 or the 6.5x55.

Maybe he was talking about the 260s?? But they will still shoot the 140s into little holes!!

well....I have to agree with all of the above posters. I have had great luck with the Sierra's in the 120 SMK, the 140 Game King and the 142 SMK in both Moly and dry. I would try other bullets but these are shooting better than I am capable of and they are available locally. I have shot these out to 300 yards with EXCELLENT results.

If the twist rate ( 1:8 to 1:8.5 ) is correct, there is absolutely no reason for the weapon not to shoot the heavier bullets ( and shoot the lighter ones as well ).

I have just finished a 6.5 x 284 that is built to shoot the heavier bullets with a Shilen Select match # 7 with a 1 x 8 twist in a McMillan A5 that has posted its best group with 142 Moly coated of .202 5 shot group when I can do what I am supposed to.... These loads are running just over 2900 FPS....

My 264 with a Krieger 1 X 8.5 twist shoots .400 groups with the 142's all day long ( 28" barrel in an HTG stock ). I think the rifle is capable of far better groups but it has no break and i am still a little "flinchy" on the bench with this one.

I would throw the bullshit flag with your Gunsmith and log onto 6MM Br or another respectable Bench rest forum and show him some of the many 6.5 records and groups with the heavy bullets.

These are just my personal experiences and opinions but it sounds like your smith is just not well versed in the 6.5 bullets.

In my 260 Rem, I have shot and tested the 140 bullets (mainly 140 VLD, 142 SMK) and 130 VLD. The 140's shoot awesome, and just as good as the 130 VLD's. So, I don't think you could say out right that the 130's shoot better. You might be able to say the 130 or less weight bullets might be easier to find a good load for than the 140's. But I don't think you can say that the 130's will out shoot the 140's in general. Sometimes when you walk into a gun store, you have to roll up your pants so you don't get it on you when you step in the BS!

I shoot the 139 grain Lapua’s & it shoots with the best of them! It sounds like this gunsmith did not know poop from apple butter. If a gunsmith would make such a broad statement with out backing it up, I would have real concerns about having that person do any work for me.

And I forgot to brag that my ancient C.1935 R.F. Sedgley Springfield (you know that obsolete action with the coned breech, two stage trigger, 5 minute lock time and wood stock) in 6.5x55
(probably the only one ever made) which is ,of course, throated for 160 gr roundnose bullets will shoot the 140 Bergers into 1/2 MOA. Now I will admit I'm glad the 03' has a 3.34" magazine as they are seated out WAY past what any 6.5x55 spec would tell you.

Here's a couple of inaccurate groups I shot today with my GAP 6.5 Creedmoor using factory 140 AMAX loads. The group on the left is 5 shots from my old lot and the group on the right is 10 shots with the new lot.
P7080622.jpg

Yep....looks like those 6.5's in 140's are junk....LOL

I cant believe someone said that the 140's wouldnt shoot....wait...yea I can.

I think maybe that the question/ smiths response may be twisted up a little. I have read on here from a very respected smith/ shooter that the 140gr bullets are a bit heavy in some of the smaller 6.5mm chamberings. The artical read that the velocity was a bit slow with the 140,s in the 260rem. Actually the article was more inclined to say that the 120-30gr bullets were a better choice in the smaller 6.5mm chamberings. Nothing was said that the accuracy wasnt there though. More like velocity Vs Range was the issue. I personally think the 140,s are a bit big for my 6.5 Creedmoor, but thats just me. I really think the Berger 130gr bullets are the perfect answer. I dont know the man that posted this or his smith so this is purely speculation, and my opinion. There are some top shooters shooting the 140gr bullets in the 6.5x47L, 260rem and 6.5CM so take for what its worth. Lee

good point SkeetLee,

I guess my mind just went straight to the bigger versions of the 6.5 family ( 6.5 x 284 and .264 win Mag ). Both of these chamberings shoot the 140's very well. Maybe the .260 would be better suited for a slightly lighter bullet....just depends on how far you plan on shooting it but I have no real experience with that round.

I've handloaded the 6.5 Creedmoor with the 140s up to 2870fps with no pressure signs so I am sure the .260 can do the same. That's a good amount of speed for the 140s in a short action. That will get you to 1200 yards pretty easy.

I do agree with everyone here. I would like to say that it does depend on how far you are shooting them. If you have the right setup and can push them the right speed they will shoot great. I find that there is a limitation to the heavy bullets sometimes depending on the case. If you are looking for excellent accuruacy at 1k sometimes the heavy bullets dont do well enough. I see very few people shooting them at 1k BR comps unless there using a 6.5x284 or some real stout barrel burner. But again if you gun likes um it likes um. Some guns just wont shoot them.

After reading the initial thread: “I am hearing from a mate, that a gunsmith has told him that no 6.5mm will shoot a 140gr as well as a 120/130gr”. I am wondering if something was lost in translation when it went from Gunsmith to mate… to mate.

I may contact the gunsmith myself to find out exactly what he said, because like I said, it makes no sense to me... mind you I use a different smith anyway

I bet you find that there is more to the story

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet you find that there is more to the story </div></div>
+1

And Rob, why are earth are you keeping a rifle that puts the second group outside of the bullseye? You better just through that thing out and then let me haul your garbage off for you.
wink.gif

Thanks for the kind offer but I'd rather just put .1 mil of left windage on for that new lot LOL
wink.gif