• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

16.5" 308

rascaldog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
London Ky.
This may be a better question for the gunsmith forum, but here goes anyway. I have a Savage 10 308 with a 22" barrel that I would like to have cutback to 16-18 inches. I looked at a Ruger Fronteir with a 16.5" barrel. I liked the way it felt and handled and thought that it would be good for hunting in my area. Also would ride behind the truck seat and on the ATV well. Question is has anyone had a 308 with a barrel this short and what are your thoughts. I am not concerned with muzzle blasts or recoil. Thanks.

Re: 16.5" 308

I use a GAP AR-10 and POF 308 both with 16" barrels and they are very good.

They will hit well out to 800, including making consistent hits on a 1 MOA plate (8") at 800 in some fairly standard wind. They fall off after that, but for inside 800 yards they kick much ass.

They both have what I would consider very good barrels, I believe the POF is a Rock Creek, and the GAP is a Bartlein, so they are not stock factory barrels, but they work. if you recognize the limitation you'll never be disappointed, at least that is my experience with rifles that short.

Standard POF Predator rails and the Daniel Defense... Lite 12"
AR10-6.jpg

I shot something with a G3 once and it is now a rug... would not hesitate to get a short barrel again.

My 10FP 308 was cut down to 16" & has one of the SAS muzzlebrakes on it for use with the suppressor. I usually shoot subsonic ammo through it but it's no slouch at all with full power ammo either! This is my after dark predator rifle so maximum range was not a high concern, portability while moving around calling coyotes (with & without 9 inches of suppressor mounted on the rifle) was, and with a 16" tube and the stock folded it is MIGHTY portable LOL! Like Frank stated, as long as you know the limitation of the short barrel you won't have any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowkill is that a VS stock? </div></div>

It's a Bell & Carlson Duramaxx for a Savage. Good stock for the money at less than $120.

Frank is that the Valkyrie brake? How many of those have you mounted up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowkill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love short barrels, have no problems in the right cal.
DSC_0396-2.jpg
</div></div>

Nice lookin' stick.

(I guess there's not many places you can say that and not get punched in the face, huh? LOL)

Keith

Thanks guys. Bowkill, nice stick. Kinda gives me a better idea of what mine will look like. Mine is a standard weight barrel, but for what I'm looking for I think it will be OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank is that the Valkyrie brake? How many of those have you mounted up?</div></div>

Yes it is a Valkyrie brake, I have two of them, one on the Valkyrie and one on this rifle.

It's a very accurate effective brake, kudos to AAC for this, beats the hell out of the flash hider design they use, especially on a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank is that the Valkyrie brake? How many of those have you mounted up?</div></div>

Yes it is a Valkyrie brake, I have two of them, one on the Valkyrie and one on this rifle.

It's a very accurate effective brake, kudos to AAC for this, beats the hell out of the flash hider design they use, especially on a 308. </div></div>

I think those may be a production item now... round 150$.

I want a go-between for my AR and .308 as I'm just a poor college student and can't afford multiple cans so the option of a brake on the .308 and FH on the AR both allowing a fast attach would be really nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope. </div></div>

Those are backlogged a ways after the whole branded for life campaign.

I got one in the making
smile.gif

Apparently the dealer I ordered mine through turned in the form 3 so it shouldn't be to much longer to my dealer here in WI. Can't wait!

About how much Veloicty is lost on a 16" Vs a 22" on the same rifel at about 800yds?