• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17yr old Scotch!!

Dagsta

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
Louisiana
All right my brutha's from a different mutha, I need some help here. A good buddy of mine just had low profile wedding. I want to get him some of the aforementioned spirits!! I'm a whiskey wino so I'm clueless.

Sean(MD Shooter), Erdoc, Graham, Lindy, anyone, help me out here please!!

Thanks!!

Don

Re: 17yr old Scotch!!

Thank you sir!! I'm wanting to get him something nice, I guess, lol

How much does the nice 17yr old go for? As I said clueless about scotch!

Balvenie 17yr can run from $120 to $140.

Balvenie also has a 21yr "Port Wood Single Malt" that is great, it is usually around $130 to $160.

There are other great Scotch's as well, you can buy some damn nice ones for under $200.

Speyside Craggenmore, and Laphroig have good stuff, Glenmorangie has lots to offer too...the Nadura is tasty!
Go to a big liquor wherehouse store and ask after you see them on the shelf. If you are paying over $65 a bottle, it is probably really good, also the top two shelves are the best in most cases. Don't look fartehr down than the second shelf, but you will probably stick to the top shelf

macallan 18 is great but the 12 is not bad either if you are on a budget. .

I agree chrisdx3, I feel the MacCallan 12 year is one of the best bargains for the buck out there, a volume drinker that won't break the bank. Next would be the 18yr Glenlivet.

Do you know what his tastes are? Is he a pretty well rounded scotch drinker? If you arent sure, it might be best to avoid some of the more peaty and smokey varieties. I love the Lagavulin 16 (well, all of their releases, really), but it is a bit much for some people. The Laphroaig is even more "stout". Talisker has a nice distillers reserve out right now (Martins has it). It has a nice smoke, less peat than some others, and a very clean finish. It would be a good scotch with some character. It's hard to go wrong with a nice MacCallan, though it might be nice to stray off the beaten path a little. Balvenie has some nice bottlings. Their double wood variety has nice sherry wood notes.

Feel free to stop by the house and taste 1 or 2 (or 6 or 7) different ones.

Sean

Don

Welcome to the world of whisky!

Macallan is just up the road from me. The Head Whisky Maker told me that the best stuff is the 18 yr old. Honestly its all good.

The guys suggestions are also all good, as just like anything else it is about personal taste.

The whisky guide would tell you that the most highly rated (in their opinion, and for what that is worth) are Macallan, Lagavuilin (spelling), Highland Park .

There are loads, the 'best' are all single malts and somewhere around the 18 yr old mark.

Personally I really liked a bottle of 25yr old Macallan I had (to hell with the Whisky maker what does he know), but I also like Johhny Walker black label (shock horror it is a blend of whiskies!). You may be able to get Johhny Walker Blue or even Green label where you are. Ironically these are superb and you can't buy them in Scotland (?!). So when the Jocks go on holiday you will often find them coming back with a bottle of Blue or Green label. Says it all really

Andy

Macallan 25 year........

Wait no nevermind, that's the down payment on a new build!

But seriously Macallan 18 would be perfect depending on the budget you're trying to stay within.

Is it just me or does anyone else find the notes of a good Scotch to be similiar to a good bottle of Mezcal or a good bottle of tequila? (yes, I know, herasay )
It's a little something I been thinking on as when I get to the bottom of the whiskey glass, I start tasting the same notes as I did in a bottle of Tres Generacions Anejo. A little citrus, a bit of smokiness, a slight fruit, and a bit of residual sweetness

Switch has a good point. If you are paying more than $65 for a bottle then most would agree it is a good bottle of scotch. MDShooter also brings up a very good point. With regards to scotch there are many different tastes. I am partial to Laphroaig and Lagavulin. These are very smokey and very peaty.

This is a photo of the best I ever had.
scotch.jpg

I have a bottle of that sitting (way back) in my cabinet right now. I bought it the day my son was born. it is sublime. I have to hide it from myself. The Lagavulin 21 is also supreme.

Don, if you want we can make a run over to Martin's together and pick something out. I need to stock up anyway.

As for the tequila thing, I love a good tequila as well. Any good alcohol, aged in wood, will have some similar properties, as it takes on some of the character of the wood. A good sipping tequila will have the same qualities as many other fine alcohols. It will have subtle flavors and smells depending on the earth, the air, the wood.

Sean

Yeah I would have to hide it from myself aswell. That bottle of Laphroaig was the special guest at a whiskey tasting I went to.

Thanks Sean, Maybe we can get together next week and go to Martins, I'll pm you and we can coordinate

Thanks

Super, Don. I work 7a-7p sunday to wednesday. I could swing by afterwork. After that I am busy getting ready for my son's 2nd birthday party saturday.

glennlevit 21 (mispelled) is very good and only around $120. I know i get my pops a bottle every year for christmas. the 18 is really good to and cheeper. or glenfiddich 18 is about the same price and good. I have never met anybody that i let try a good levit or fiddich that didn't like it alot. I like them too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch has a good point. If you are paying more than $65 for a bottle then most would agree it is a good bottle of scotch. MDShooter also brings up a very good point. With regards to scotch there are many different tastes. I am partial to Laphroaig and Lagavulin. These are very smokey and very peaty.

scotch.jpg
</div></div>

I have to agree this is one of my favorites too.

It was with a good friend that I discovered the similarities with good Scotch and good Tequila. Now everytime I drink my Scotch I start thinking about Tequila, and oh boy, that is trouble with a capital T because I love me some agave water

Switch,

The 2 spirits that occupy the most space in my cabinet are scotch and tequila. I go way way back with tequila....I started gathering good bottles back in med school in Dallas. I have some discontinued bottlings that very nice. With tequila, though, I dont like it to spend a very long time in oak. It tends to tone down the characteristic agave flavor after awhile. I think about 3 years is enough....nice and smooth, some tannins, pepper, a little wood, but with the unique agave flavor. I've had some aged 5-6 years in oak and it looses a bit too much of the agave kick.

All this talking about it....I think I am going to have a little pour.

LOL - I was about to go grab a xx out of the fridge, but yall have changed my course for this evening.

I agree with all of the above -- my two cents... if you are not sure what he likes is the MacAllen 18. I have never met anyone that did not like MacAllen. The 12 is awesome, but the 18 (if the budget allows) has a little celebratory value to it (because its so freeking expensive).

Going for the Balvenie Double Wood right now.

Cheers.

One of these 3...they are all good. I've been to Scottland a couple of times, and these are my three favorites of the 25 or so i've tried.

IMG_0635.jpg

There are a ton of different single malts and blends.

Ooohhhhh, the one in the middle! LAvuglan being an Islay would have more smoke and peat, and if I am correct the one to the left, Springbank is a lowland still.
I can hear the Real McKenzies singing Loch Lomand just thinking of a good Highland Single Malt

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJIjn7ro0r0&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJIjn7ro0r0&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not everyday you get too see punk rockers in kilts LOL.

Of the 3, Glenfarclas is my favorite. Not in the picture is my open bottle of it (which is getting kind of low). All three of those are unopened. I got the Lagavulin on my first trip 6 years ago, and brought back the Springbank and 2 Glenfarclas last summer.

The Glenfarclas cost about $85 once you figured the exchange rate. I went to a local liqour store and asked if they could get it. They could, to the tune of $125 a bottle...

I brought a bottle of Highland Park back the first time as well for a friend. I think it cost about $110 after the exchange rate. I asked him if he had tried it after I had been back for a week. He said it was good, and that he had finished it in 3 days!

Scotch is a guilty indulgance, kinda like Copenhagen. It's just so much more expensive you can't have it as often as a dip LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch has a good point. If you are paying more than $65 for a bottle then most would agree it is a good bottle of scotch. MDShooter also brings up a very good point. With regards to scotch there are many different tastes. I am partial to Laphroaig and Lagavulin. These are very smokey and very peaty.

scotch.jpg
</div></div>

I have to agree this is one of my favorites too. </div></div>

holy shit a $500 bottle i wouldn't drink much either.

You can't go wrong with anything Balvenie. 21 Portwood is good, along with the doublewood, and 17 rumcask if you can find it. Highland Park 15 and 18 are very nice. My favorite right now is Glenmorangie 18. You might as well get a bottle for yourself. No reason for your buddy to have all the fun.

Ah, you gentlemen just need to find the right circumstance for demolishing a bottle in one night.
Find two or three good friends. Get some really really good cigars. Buy a bottle of (insert here) that costs $225+. Light the cigars, pour the pour, and no one leaves until the cigars are finished and the bottle is empty. Regardless of what you put into it, you will always remember that night as one of the best nights you have had in a long time

Don:
You can't beat Macallan 18 year from a Sherry Wood Cask!

We killed mine this year at the SnipersHide Cup! Just ask Lindy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carnivore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don:

</div></div>

uh, how about a Speyside Craggenmore 1992 Distiller's Edition Port Finish?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carnivore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don:

We killed mine this year at the SnipersHide Cup! Just ask Lindy! </div></div>

We killed quite a few bottles of scotch at the Cup.....about one a night for the train up and match.

That 18 was pretty good.....we wont mention the heresy you committed, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah, you gentlemen just need to find the right circumstance for demolishing a bottle in one night.
Find two or three good friends. Get some really really good cigars. Buy a bottle of (insert here) that costs $225+. Light the cigars, pour the pour, and no one leaves until the cigars are finished and the bottle is empty. Regardless of what you put into it, you will always remember that night as one of the best nights you have had in a long time </div></div>
Damn Switchblade, you got a cousin up in NY, cigars, good Scotch and BBQ are some of the best things in life.

I've been enjoying Aberlour, Balvenie, Oban, Glenmorangie all in the $45-65 range. However if you want a treat on a budget try TOMATIN, 12y Doublewood, and its $24 a bottle.

Kasumi turned me on to Tomatin - I was doubtful - but he is right on; this scotch is good ! Very similar (in my opinion) to Balvenie in many ways. If you like this kind of single malt scotch, you can't go wrong for the price.

Drink on.............

How could I have missed this Thread?!
blush.gif

If your friend is not a Scotch drinker his preference will probably be determined what what he already likes, so you need to know what else it is that he likes to drink.

Malts take on the character of their enviromnent: the water, rock and soil of the region or area. They vary in sweetness, crispness, and assertiveness. One might want a light, dry malt with a fruity nose before dinner but a full-bodied, sweet one after the same meal.

The same make of Malt may evolve in strength and character depending on the type of wood in which it is aged. Older might mean smoother but it's not always better. The age on the label simply means that that number is the youngest whisky that's in the bottle. Some with a lower age statement contain whisky in the 12-18 year old range, but can't legally be sold as 18 year-old, yet are evey bit as good as their oversold dated companion blends.

The Lowlands tend to produce the softer malts. The Highlands produce round, firm, dry malts with some peaty flavor or earthiness. There's not much any more on the west coast. Islay is the region known for the salty, seaweedy, iodine-turpentine-like tangy brews.

Among the 18 year olds a Glenmorangie is a good medium-bodied sweet, smooth malt with an aromatic and nutty finish - It is quite well liked by non-Scotch drinkers.

The 12-year old Macallan is a staple, too, with a flowery nose, full body and well-rounded finish. Not many Bourbon drinkers dislike the Macallan 12.

Because you were too busy drinking scotch instead of reading about it
grin.gif

I will get Don squared away. If he gets in a pinch, he can swing by and pick up a bottle from my house.

Some single malts I've enjoyed in recent months:

Balvenie 12
Aberlour 12 (for me, a little too much smoke)
Highland Park 12
Oban 14 (oh yes)
Dalwhinnie 15 (very light, smooth)
Glenrothes (a gift, and it's good)
Tomatin (good & not expensive)

Former bourban drinker (well, still) turned on to scotch & lovin' every minute of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know what his tastes are? Is he a pretty well rounded scotch drinker? If you arent sure, it might be best to avoid some of the more peaty and smokey varieties. I love the Lagavulin 16 (well, all of their releases, really), but it is a bit much for some people. The Laphroaig is even more "stout". Talisker has a nice distillers reserve out right now (Martins has it). It has a nice smoke, less peat than some others, and a very clean finish. It would be a good scotch with some character. It's hard to go wrong with a nice MacCallan, though it might be nice to stray off the beaten path a little. Balvenie has some nice bottlings. Their double wood variety has nice sherry wood notes.

Feel free to stop by the house and taste 1 or 2 (or 6 or 7) different ones.

Sean </div></div>

Now we're talking that's kind of the thing I've noticed about good scotch they really vary in flavor a good deal.

Once I had the Pappy switchblade turned me onto my goto beyond my means liquor deal was sealed though you can't go wrong with the Van Winkle family traditions.

Damn Graham what took you so long to get here! lol

Thanks bro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falconer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some single malts I've enjoyed in recent months:

Balvenie 12
Aberlour 12 (for me, a little too much smoke)
Highland Park 12
Oban 14 (oh yes)
Dalwhinnie 15 (very light, smooth)
Glenrothes (a gift, and it's good)
Tomatin (good & not expensive)

</div></div>Care to share your tasting notes with us?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Graham what took you so long to get here!</div></div>It's a 21-hour drive.
laugh.gif

Thanks once again to Kasumi:

Try Auchentoshan ("Och'ntosh'n") - a classic Lowland Malt, triple distilled. Very smooth, light, 80 proof, very little peat, short though pleasant finish. And, better yet, you should be able to find it for $30, more or less.

More scotch, lower price.

OK scotch lovers - here is something to consider:

I just read this AM in our local rag about the rising influence of JAPANESE scotch (both blended & single malts). Apparantly they have been at it for quite awhile. The "featured" scotch was Yamazaki Single malt (12 year), said to be "very subtle" & on the lighter side".

Anyone out there gone Japanese (scotch, that is) ???

Booze is booze, bashed is bashed, some can afford to drink conspicuously, I prefer rock bottom cheapo Crystal Palace Gin, heavy on the lime, easy on the gin, drowned with tonic in a 20oz frosted mug.

No stones thrown at good Scotch, but that's another man's drink, and not mine.

Jap scotch? Sure, Suntory (aka Yamazaki). Shopping options for New Orleans locale. You like pricey? It's pricey.

To paraphrase another; I don't always drink Scotch, but when I do, I drink Suntory