• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1903A3 bolt gets stuck on follower...

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
I have a 1903A3 that jams on the last round. When pulling the bolt back, it gets stuck on the follower. The follower seems to move back with the bolt and get caught. I have a stamped trigger guard. I've attached pictures of the follower.

Also, the bolt going through the magazine cutoff switch seems to work itself out.

Any ideas on how to address these issues?

Attachments

• 20200429_223656.jpg
    20200429_223656.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 20200429_223718.jpg
    20200429_223718.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200429_223732.jpg
    20200429_223732.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200429_223738.jpg
    20200429_223738.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 220
I have a 1903A3 that jams on the last round. When pulling the bolt back, it gets stuck on the follower. The follower seems to move back with the bolt and get caught. I have a stamped trigger guard. I've attached pictures of the follower.

Also, the bolt going through the magazine cutoff switch seems to work itself out.

Any ideas on how to address these issues?
Is the stock original to the action. Also is the magazine spring installed correctly? If memory serves me, and I should look it up, but there should be a 1/16 gap between the trigger guard and the bottom of the receiver.

No, the stock is not original to the action. It's a Minelli stock. I had it fitted by the CMP when they installed the barrel.

I do not have the original stock for the action. It's built from a recovered drill rifle receiver.

No, the stock is not original to the action. It's a Minelli stock. I had it fitted by the CMP when they installed the barrel.

I do not have the original stock for the action. It's built from a recovered drill rifle receiver.
I did my homework between posts and it is 1/16th of an inch. If the action is sitting in your new stock correctly there will be 1/16 of an inch clearance. I have built a few from drill rifle receivers with new stocks and it took me three weeks to fit the action. Look up the torque specs for the action screws so they are not to tight causing your problem. Make sure there is proper clearance as you may need to relieve the stock some more.

I forgot to add this and you probably know this. So pull the follower out and the bolt and assemble your rifle without them and properly torque the action screws. You will be able to look into your action and see where the action and trigger guard mate up. Measure that area.

Thanks for the response!

I'm trying to look online, it looks like the proper torque spec for the action screws is between 35 and 45 inch pounds. Does that sound right?

I removed the trigger guard, magazine spring, and follower from the rifle. Does the spring look backwards to you? I don't know much about these, but it looks like it may be.

I also noticed I have a milled follower, but a stamped trigger guard, could that be part of the problem?

20200502_194847.jpg20200502_194858.jpg20200502_194934.jpg

40 inch pounds is the recommended torque spec and it looks like the follower spring is installed correctly. I am not sure of this but from knowledge of these rifles the 1903 milled follower is thicker than the stamped a3 variant and if the gap is not correct between the receiver can cause erratic performance. Measure the gap and see where your at but look into a stamped follower as they are cheap. It sounds like your follower is hanging up and tilted causing the bolt to grab it on its way back.

There is a guy on the CMP forums that goes by Springfield3. Bob has everything you could need for the Springfield rifle and if you would like I will send his contact information to you. He would have a stamped follower to purchase and his prices are hard to beat.

I checked. In the front, I have a .0665" gap between the trigger guard and the action in the front. Then about .1535 in the rear.

The follower is getting stuck on the very top of the stamped trigger guard in the back.

Yes, if you could PM me his contact info, I'd appreciate it. I applied for an account on CMP forum, just haven't been approved yet.
20200502_204631.jpg20200502_204146.jpg20200502_204208.jpg20200502_204606.jpg

I checked. In the front, I have a .0665" gap between the trigger guard and the action in the front. Then about .1535 in the rear.

The follower is getting stuck on the very top of the stamped trigger guard in the back.

Yes, if you could PM me his contact info, I'd appreciate it. I applied for an account on CMP forum, just haven't been approved yet.
View attachment 7315374View attachment 7315375View attachment 7315376View attachment 7315377
I have his information at work in which I will be back Monday morning. I will send you his contact information then.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
I am a little late on this thread but that is the way the gun was designed. You cannot close the bolt on an empty chamber. Bad juju. In war it is hard to count to 5 when there are bullets whizzing by. the bolt locks back till you push 5 more rounds from a stripper clip. Then it will go home with a round ready.

if you want to negate that design you can always grind a ramp on the rear edge of the protruding rib of the follower.

Reactions: mudpig
I think bolt is failing to fully retract due to follower catching under bolt.

Correct! The bolt is failing to retract due to the follower getting caught under the bolt. Does this with the mag cutoff in both positions.

The top picture is where it gets stuck with the magazine cutoff off, and the bottom picture is with the magazine cutoff on. With the magazine cutoff off, I have to push the bolt forward, and then back again in order to fully retract the bolt. With the magazine cutoff on, it still catches, but not as badly, I can still pull the bolt straight back after it catches, the resistance isn't as bad.
20200506_093509.jpg
20200506_093643.jpg

When you pull the bolt out with the magazine cutoff in middle position do you have to give the bolt a hefty tug to remove from the action?

The follower looks good as it should. Your new pictures shed some light on the problem. Pull the bolt out and look at the extractor collar. Is the collar flush with the bolt body? If not it will get hung up at the rear bridge as I have a a bolt do this and needed to change the collar. First try removing the extractor and take a pair of pliers and squeeze the tabs together to compress the collar. Reinstall extractor and check if the collar is still able to be felt above the bolt body. If so try another collar.

Reactions: j-huskey
hat looks like the back of the bolt is stopping close to where the ejector is. Could it be bent and catching on the bolt. The bolt is stopping way to forward to be because of the magazine cutoff.

I did go out and check my 1903A3 and if the magazine cutoff is not fully up and seated into it little indentation in the receiver it can stop the bolt but the bolt head is still inside the rear bridge.

David

I think you're onto something on the bolt collar! I actually have a 2nd 1903A3 bolt sitting around. I swapped it in and cycled the action a bunch of times. No issues.

I swapped the bolt collar onto the correct bolt, and ran the bolt through the action a bunch, the problem almost goes away. Every once in a while, it got caught on the same spot, but instead of complete jamming where I have to push forward and then back, it just takes a little more force to pull it back. I suspect that this will wear in with use.

The spindle is where it is suppose be but make sure the small set screw on the cutoff tab is tight as that will hold the spindle in place. Also look into a stamped follower meant for the A3. It actually rid problems the milled 03 had.

Is there anything I can do about this pin? It seems to want to slowly walk out of the rifle?View attachment 7319433
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
Hopefully your A3 is running better now and glad I was able to help out. Try Bob Visscher for the follower, his prices are really hard to beat and it will be USGI.