• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 10mm modification, expert advice needed

deepsix++

regular guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
California
For a while now I have desired a long slide 10mm 1911 . I currently have a spring field TRP operator which I also very much like to shoot . I currently live behind enemy lines in Southern California so with the current handgun roster its not as simple as going out and buying a 10mm 1911 . Is it possible to take a long slide and put it on a 45acp frame ? I understand there is some fitting with 1911's that's no problem . If it is possible is it or is it not the case that 10mm can damage 45acp frames ? is that real or a myth . I apricate the hides advice

19191919191991911.jpg

Reactions: 1mikemike0
The feed ramp would likely prohibit it. All the 10mm I've seen use ramped barrels whereas 45 do not.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Not all 10mm's are ramped, though ramped would definitely be preferred given the choice obviously.
Way back when the Colt's were cracking, it was above the hole for the slide stop. They solved the problem by just removing the metal bridge that was cracking.

I don't know if everyone does that now or not, honestly I'm embarrassed by that since I own/owned a few other makes and can't remember what they look like now.

ETA: quick peek on the net looks like the Operator has that cut.

Not all 10mm's are ramped, though ramped would definitely be preferred given the choice obviously.
Way back when the Colt's were cracking, it was above the hole for the slide stop. They solved the problem by just removing the metal bridge that was cracking.

I don't know if everyone does that now or not, honestly I'm embarrassed by that since I own/owned a few other makes and can't remember what they look like now.

ETA: quick peek on the net looks like the Operator has that cut.
ohhh ok , the cracking thing was a big problem in my mind as I would want effectively two handguns. So do you think this is possible if I don't have a feed ramp barrel ? could I mod my existing frame ramp and if that was done would it still work with the 45acp slide ?

You can have the frame sent out and milled for a clark/para or wilson ramp cut. Fit a new .45 ramped barrel to your current slide and fit a new top end(10mm) with ramped barrel and you can shoot both calibers by swapping the slide on and off.

Reactions: deepsix++
45 and 10mm ejector isn't the same, and will probably take some fiddling to get it to work well enough with both. It can be done and is, but I don't have any first hand experience with that, if it's a big deal or not.

Do some research elsewhere about non ramped 10mms first too. What your plans for the gun may play into it. If you're going to shoot standard factory ammo occasionally, it may not be worth the trouble. If you're going to shoot hot boutique brand ammo, or hand load hot stuff, it may very well be.

any one have a 1911 gunsmith they can vouch for ? I'll think about this whole thing and if its even worth it , at the very least I might just have the gun tuned , trigger job and stuff . I have been thinking about that for a while too

Reach out to Jeff at Tommy Guns USA on fb. He is an incredible Smith and machinists who primarily works on 1911s. Good guy and I’m sure he can help you. Check out some of his videos on the fb page for references.

Reach out to Jeff at Tommy Guns USA on fb. He is an incredible Smith and machinists who primarily works on 1911s. Good guy and I’m sure he can help you. Check out some of his videos on the fb page for references.
sweet just the kind of guy I like talking to

Reactions: 502Chevelle
I would call or email the gunsmith tech's @ Wilson Combat for a curbside consultation.

Hum, I'm not an expert. I have built a few 1911's around 80% frames back before Cali went full retard on such things. To my knowledge you will need a different ejector, slide, extractor, possibly a new firing pin for the new slide, barrel, bushing, lug fitting etc. also I would move from the 16/18.5 recoil spring in the .45 up to a 22 or 24 lbs spring. Additionally I would replace the firing pin spring with an extra power spring. If you want to machine the lower for a ramped barrel that will probably help reliability with hollow points. (my 10mm with a standard barrel feeds everything but my 9mm with a standard barrel is very finicky and only feeds ball ammo.)

Do they let you run double stacks? Rock Island has double and single stacks, may be worth it to grab one and just send it to a smith if you want specific things done or even just to have it generally fit, polished, tuned etc...
1679842997749.png

Reactions: Yondering
Rock Island 52000 double stack is WELL worth the $1000 price tag. It is hand fit, bank vault tight, an absolute lazer and holds 17 rounds..

RIA 52000 gets my vote

There are problems with bullets nosing over on the feed ramp and recoil issues. This is a new Video on Youtube by Alchemy Custom Weaponry that was released yesterday. They get a lot of question why they don't build 10mm 1911's. He explains all the issue with 10mm and 1911. I was going to buy a Kimber 1911 in 10mm but I kept coming across reports of bullet nosing problems. I bought a Glock 20sf 10mm instead and put a long slide on it and a KKm barrel and have had no issues so far. A Glock wouldn't have been my first choice but I I live in CA and we arn't allowed to buy much else. https://www.youtube.com/@alchemy1911/videos

Last edited:
I have a TRP 45 converted to 10mm by Nighthawk. It was absurdly difficult and a total waste of funds. They essentially had to rebuild the entire gun
I have one of nighthawks Talon IV in .45. They build one hell of a gun. I spent a bit on my Detonics so it’ll be next year but I would love to have a full size in .45. After seeing some horror stories about d/a’s making self defense shooters look malicious for using a 10 mill I am not going to risk it unless it’s a specialty for hunting or pins or something.

I have one of nighthawks Talon IV in .45. They build one hell of a gun. I spent a bit on my Detonics so it’ll be next year but I would love to have a full size in .45. After seeing some horror stories about d/a’s making self defense shooters look malicious for using a 10 mill I am not going to risk it unless it’s a specialty for hunting or pins or something.
Could always do a 10mm with a 40 S&W barrel

Reactions: Darkride
I will take your word for it but as most d/a’s know nothing of this stuff I suspect they will look at the shells rather than the barrel.
Like 45 ACP and 9 mm, the 10 mm and 40 S&W headspace off of the case mouth. So a 10mm will not function in the 40 barrel even though the rim, body and bullet have the same diameters. It is not like shooting a 38 Spl in a 357 Mag where the cartridge headspaces off of the rim.

I learned this while researching a Similar project. 3 slides and 6 barrels for different cartridges. It got shelved when I realized that I would be able to buy a new pistol for the cost of EACH slide and barrel set. Even in Komifornia.

I will take your word for it but as most d/a’s know nothing of this stuff I suspect they will look at the shells rather than the barrel.
Umm...what? I think you may be confused. A 10mm 1911 can have a 40 s&w barrel fit to it so you can fire both woth a barrel swap. Kind of like 223 and 300blk or 40s&w and 357 Sig. It uses the same mags as well

Like 45 ACP and 9 mm, the 10 mm and 40 S&W headspace off of the case mouth. So a 10mm will not function in the 40 barrel even though the rim, body and bullet have the same diameters. It is not like shooting a 38 Spl in a 357 Mag where the cartridge headspaces off of the rim.

I learned this while researching a Similar project. 3 slides and 6 barrels for different cartridges. It got shelved when I realized that I would be able to buy a new pistol for the cost of EACH slide and barrel set. Even in Komifornia.
Interesting. I have seen some strange abuse of a firearm in my time. I saw a homicide in which a Taurus Judge was loaded with two .410 shot rounds and a .45 ACP. The ACP round rattled down the barrel printing an over printed pattern of grooves. It confused the hell out of the forensic ballistics teams for awhile. But I really don’t think a barrel change would fool anybody even if it worked.
Umm...what? I think you may be confused. A 10mm 1911 can have a 40 s&w barrel fit to it so you can fire both woth a barrel swap. Kind of like 223 and 300blk or 40s&w and 357 Sig. It uses the same mags as well
I did not know that thank you. I don’t quite know I would that but I see what your saying.

Interesting. I have seen some strange abuse of a firearm in my time. I saw a homicide in which a Taurus Judge was loaded with two .410 shot rounds and a .45 ACP. The ACP round rattled down the barrel printing an over printed pattern of grooves. It confused the hell out of the forensic ballistics teams for awhile. But I really don’t think a barrel change would fool anybody even if it worked.

I did not know that thank you. I don’t quite know I would that but I see what your saying.

It still doesn't sound like you're fully grasping what's being said; a barrel swap converts the gun to a different cartridge.

Installing a 40 S&W barrel in any 10mm pistol makes in a 40 S&W. It can't chamber and fire 10mm, the casings won't be 10mm, and the gun is a 40 S&W at that point. Nothing strange or abusive about it.

Conversely, most 40 S&W chambered 1911 style pistols can be fitted with a 10mm barrel if someone desires, although some tuning is recommended.

I've been shooting 1911s chambered in 10mm since 1990. A Colt Delta Gold Cup and a custom job done with a Les Baer slide & a Clackamas Kimber frame. Both of these guns are fantastic. I have used both in many training classes with no problems whatsoever. I would recommend Wilsons 24lb flat recoil spring. I have never even once had a nosedive problem out of either of them after shooting many thousands of rounds over 30 + years.

I've been shooting 1911s chambered in 10mm since 1990. A Colt Delta Gold Cup and a custom job done with a Les Baer slide & a Clackamas Kimber frame. Both of these guns are fantastic. I have used both in many training classes with no problems whatsoever. I would recommend Wilsons 24lb flat recoil spring. I have never even once had a nosedive problem out of either of them after shooting many thousands of rounds over 30 + yea
It still doesn't sound like you're fully grasping what's being said; a barrel swap converts the gun to a different cartridge.

Installing a 40 S&W barrel in any 10mm pistol makes in a 40 S&W. It can't chamber and fire 10mm, the casings won't be 10mm, and the gun is a 40 S&W at that point. Nothing strange or abusive about it.

Conversely, most 40 S&W chambered 1911 style pistols can be fitted with a 10mm barrel if someone desires, although some tuning is recommended.

Yes I do understand. I haven’t had experience with but it sounds pretty versatile.