• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1980's USMC Scout Sniper gear list?

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
I am trying to put together a load out kit of everything my father would have taken into the bush when he was a USMC scout sniper in the mid 80's. Looking for list of gear such as types of packs, what goes into them, brand names, models of gear, sidearm, how did they transport their spare 7.62 ammo?, etc. Already recreated his ghillie suit from a photo and built a M40A1 clone. He talks about his days in the service all the time and he taught me a lot. I want him to relive his favorite times when he sees it all and I will be taking him to a sniper competition next year.
20201107_204825.jpg

Well, the guy you need to ask is our “Grande Fromage” himself... LL.

But first, buy and read his book! Lots of good pictures and info there!

Be interesting to know if they knew each other. It was always a small community!

Sirhr
What is the name of his book? I was originally directed to this site to sell some stocks I had laying around, and since have gotten more involved, but do not know the whole backstory on who certain people are, etc.

@lowlight is the guy who founded this place and is a former Marine scout sniper who served in the 1980s.

If anyone knows an answer to your question and perhaps knows your dad it would be him. I suspect he’ll show up here any second. We just summoned him.

Cheers, Sirhr
Thank you @sirhrmechanic . I got permission from my father to share photos of him back in the glory days. He doesn't know about this kit I am putting together for him. He makes fun of all my modern gadgets lol. I get the "back in my day" speech all the time lol. Would be cool if @lowlight recognizes or remembers him.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506842452982.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506842452982.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 18588.jpeg
    18588.jpeg
    837.2 KB · Views: 188
Normal Infantry 782 gear would be first, you want the shelter half and tent poles as we used the poles as a tripod.
IMG_0066.jpeg
The M49 Spotter and tripod, then M40A1

Otherwise we got to carry what we wanted, I have images too, but no real load out list, it's all cut up 782 gear. I even carried a PRC77 in an WWII haversack, so not a lot of standardizing was happening in the field

IMG_0026.jpeg

Then the more rank you get the less you carry, LOL at least that is how I worked

IMG_0104.jpeg

Normal Infantry 782 gear would be first, you want the shelter half and tent poles as we used the poles as a tripod.
View attachment 7466149The M49 Spotter and tripod, then M40A1

Otherwise we got to carry what we wanted, I have images too, but no real load out list, it's all cut up 782 gear. I even carried a PRC77 in an WWII haversack, so not a lot of standardizing was happening in the field

View attachment 7466147

Then the more rank you get the less you carry, LOL at least that is how I worked

View attachment 7466150
@lowlight Thank you! I will just have to sneak over to his house and go through his field box for more photos of his gear. Do you remember LCPL Vandoloski from these photos?

Attachments

• 18588.jpeg
    18588.jpeg
    837.2 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1506842452982.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506842452982.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 116
  • received_354138602547839.jpeg
    received_354138602547839.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 107
No don't recognize the name, but I deployed a lot, I did back to back floats, so I didn't interact with a lot of guys from other units

Lejeune is a big place, I only spent a few months in country when I was there, more time deployed so no.

No don't recognize the name, but I deployed a lot, I did back to back floats, so I didn't interact with a lot of guys from other units

Lejeune is a big place, I only spent a few months in country when I was there, more time deployed so no.
@lowlight Here is one more that I dug up of his class. Just for morale purposes. And due to the Birthday.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_120229_837.jpg
    IMG_20201110_120229_837.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: Charlie112
He makes fun of all my modern gadgets lol. I get the "back in my day" speech all the time lol. Would be cool if @lowlight recognizes or remembers him.

Best thing I ever did was start shooting an "M40A1" and ditch the high tech gadgets. I fell into a slump with precision shooting and relied too much on the gadgets. Once I went back to the "old school" style of shooting then I started having fun again!

Great pictures! If you're on Facebook feel free to check out my M40A1 page. I post a lot of pictures of these rifles being used. Would love to have some of your dad's photos posted as well with your permission.

Reactions: Ted Harte