• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 yards with rimfire

Yep, tried them, you'll be attempting to put lipstick on a pig.
Low quality bulk cartridges with visible manufacturing defects
along with an undesirable ES. Very sloppy mv's.

I've documented all the rimfire sold here in the US.
Included are all the Aguila varieties.
Alphabetical order with the results linked.

Thank you very much for doing this. It was very interesting to see that your results at 200 with the CCI SV were almost exactly the same as mine.
Guess I'll have to read through everything you've done.
Again, Thank you.

SPH....It was an exercise in OCD.
It started as an excuse to finish off a collection of single boxes from the bottom of the locker,
ended up being a 3 year project that taught me way more than expected about cartridge quality.
Some of the discussions in the thread led to other smaller projects that were included.
Waiting on a delivery of Norma Eco Speed, no lead 22lr, not even in the primer.
Find out what RWS made lead free 22lr can do at 50, 100 and 200 yards.

@justin amateur do you have any access or data for Aguila 60gr subs ?

My idea is in a vudoo they would perform better because of twist rate, 9 vs 16.

Any ideas or thoughts on this ? @RAVAGE88 have any input ? I don't have easy access to the 60gr here in Australia, however apparently I can order some to try, lead time will be horrible. Worth me trying or not ?
I'm not a fan of the Aguila 60 gr ammo. Low quality, a lot of variation one round to the next within the same box of ammo.

Hope this helps....

MB

Reactions: nikonNUT and iceng
Here is mine Ruger 77/22 all weather that shoots cci sv at 1/5 nra mall bore silhouette targets at 50,100,150 and 200 meters
Nothing fancy Leupold 6x18 with Hawke 25 MOA shims .It will reach 300meters no problem .

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 89
Norma Eco Speed-22, 25 grain no lead 22lr,
copper over zinc bullet, no lead primer, rated 1706 fps

AM-JKLWWOmdV2Ie7Io8-UuWKSUNgLsIdQkH4I4isKt61WVuCeL6LDOnr-GiA38YDzoN92Bh0VsoN98ISZrdxJDAZOOAR_8qKHZTorKPpmkOU7oY_IAtUQHvePuQyNOhXEpzoSD_O6_NW5R2gour2mjpi-PO3=w410-h453-no

CZ 455 Lilja, Sinclair bipod, rear bag

AM-JKLUEk-GowxhCWzO-phkjEIbeUYrzwDK7rjs65Hq44jUTJg6F1VVQHczC1vfK9XAMBGNw3hZNZTHodpHv-2oNnZsiQt_y7jvzXwQuCOWBKIIaZU-hHTvasGluigOt1k-ySddD5P_mcfmwcdX67kMDbwEs=w438-h488-no

ES in excess of 100 fps, 12.5 inches of spread, not RWS's best.
It is labeled as hunting and plinking ammo.

AM-JKLWTB1hUpm5G5GeTlpj9whifL5cwAOrR9rv_C-Hip26gAPSDz0cao1YANSqM72gI8QlzCsm0vpxU3FHE-br7xTn4PEISFUlE11bcbhB61nYdGahw374ydx_i8kJhPHdJe_4CtX1nAG_1u6r6bsECjE1O=w552-h643-no

This cartridge has an mv well above the transonic region.
Passes through the sound barrier just before 100 yards.
Yet no keyholing visible on target. Clean holes in the backer.
Spread in direct relation to distance traveled, no different than I see
from standard velocity 22lr. No big variations relative to time of flight.
Results due solely to cartridge quality, not muzzle velocity.

These cartridges produced 2 inches of spread at 50 yards,
5 inches at 100 yards and 12.5 inches at 200 yards.
All on cartridge quality, not transition caused spread.
The bullets pass back down through the sound barrier between 75 and 100 yards.
If the transition had any effect, then the double the distance triple the spread rule
should have shown a major jump in spread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fester47
Not 50rounds but here’s 2 10 round groups of Eley Tenex wind was 3-5mph

Attachments

• 2EC16BCB-C3C7-43C7-B4CC-9CBA68631738.jpeg
    2EC16BCB-C3C7-43C7-B4CC-9CBA68631738.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 731F0831-C06B-4266-85B0-52BBD1B2C21B.jpeg
    731F0831-C06B-4266-85B0-52BBD1B2C21B.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 89
This cartridge has an mv well above the transonic region.
Passes through the sound barrier just before 100 yards.
Yet no keyholing visible on target. Clean holes in the backer.
Spread in direct relation to distance traveled, no different than I see
from standard velocity 22lr. No big variations relative to time of flight.
Results due solely to cartridge quality, not muzzle velocity.

These cartridges produced 2 inches of spread at 50 yards,
5 inches at 100 yards and 12.5 inches at 200 yards.
All on cartridge quality, not transition caused spread.
The bullets pass back down through the sound barrier between 75 and 100 yards.
If the transition had any effect, then the double the distance triple the spread rule
should have shown a major jump in spread.
The MV is indeed above the transonic zone, which is approximately 900 to 1350 fps.

Two questions come to mind.

How are you calculating that the bullet passes through the sound barrier before it reaches 100 yards? With an MV that averages 1650 fps, that would require a significant drop in velocity within 100 yards.

Are you concluding from this experience that transonic turbulence doesn't affect the flight of all .22LR bullets, these bullets only, or something else?

Morning G.

G1 factor of 0.08, mv 1706 fps, 24.7 grain bullet weight gave me a graph and interval calcs.

AM-JKLXhUqViuyKLTQQx2EbGmV71WL-d7SEe4S1fTsgZ3lkhbRhTTntPgiXt2nx4BhIRAla3W4uHhBtD5g5beE_W2Bf8PGEGJk6tmbsn1wn66G8CATXXjAA80U38_v6Ndl3pkJf-8XL11LIqhSuo8RCRydUW=w809-h403-no

I've come to think there was a good reason for the shape of the 22lr.
It is minimally affected by supersonic transition, but folks still blame transition
for loss of accuracy, which is actually caused by manufacturing defects.
That goes back to that 140 grain 308 study that showed tumbling due to transition.
It sticks in the memory and is a handy excuse for poor results with hi-v 22lr.
The 22lr is not a long slender tail heavy projectile.
It's a short, stubby round nose bullet, chosen for how well does across a large range of velocities.

Last edited:
Thanks for showing the ballistics chart.

I've come to think there was a good reason for the shape of the 22lr.
It is minimally affected by supersonic transition, but folks still blame transition
for loss of accuracy, which is actually caused by manufacturing defects.
That goes back to that 140 grain 308 study that showed tumbling due to transition.
It sticks in the memory and is a handy excuse for poor results with hi-v 22lr.
The 22lr is not a long slender tail heavy projectile.
It's a short, stubby round nose bullet, chosen for how well does across a large range of velocities.
Was the shape of the .22LR bullet established before the advent of high velocity rounds?

Most, if not all, .22LR ammunition prior to 1927-1928, was what is now considered standard velocity ammo -- that is with MV's typically under 1100 fps. I don't know if the original black powder .22LR ammo was faster.

An interesting tidbit about the early .22LR ammo is that it was originally without a crimp as it was designed for single shot rifles. Its use in repeaters resulted in more need to withdraw a round from the chamber without firing. The lack of a crimp often meant that the bullet stayed in the barrel and only the casing was withdrawn. In revolvers, the loose bullets could move beyond the cylinder to lock it up. Crimping ammo was begun reluctantly as it was believed to affect accuracy, at least with black powder ammo. It's not clear if this belief was correct. But it didn't affect accuracy when other, less smoky, powder was used.

In any case, while manufacturing defects can and do cause a loss of accuracy, it's important to keep in mind a significant difference between high velocity ammo, non-match standard velocity such as CCI SV, and .22LR match ammo. Only the latter is made to the closest tolerances with great attention given to component consistency and manufacturing consistency.

High velocity and non-match standard velocity have more generous tolerances in order to meet minimum standards and, additionally, to keep prices low enough to satisfy shooters for whom price may as or more important than utmost accuracy.

As a result, non-match ammo doesn't have to have manufacturing defects to have a loss of accuracy. The loss of accuracy is relative to match ammo, which is made to different tolerances. Non-match .22LR ammo simply isn't made to be as accurate even when there are no manufacturing defects. It's not in its DNA.

I hear ya' G.
My OCD causes me to describe any irregularity from the ideal as a defect.
MV spread....defect. Sloppy seating....defect. Damaged bullet.....defect.
Out of spec brass...defect. Uneven crimp....defect. But that's just me. :D

Some folks don't see those problems as defects.
Probably the same ones who claim sub moa with minimags at 100 yards, all day long.
Wize-adze? Me? Absolutely. ;)

Reactions: camocorvette
What about ammo that is lubed .
do you start with a clean barrel ?
what is the effect if you shoot cci sv ammo after the lubed ?
do you clean it before you shoot the cci sv

Mrt...rifle is cleaned after each session.
I purchase enough of each sample to adjust the scope
and recoat the bore with the current ammunition.
Usually 3 or 4 boxes. Try it at 50, 100 and 200 yards,
same day and conditions for comparison.

All 22lr is lubricated, even the copper plated hi-v.
Some is greasy, some is hard wax, but all are coated.

Results when swapping brands depends on cartridge quality.
Nothing makes crappy ammo shoot better. External ballistics is why.
If the bullet is damaged or suffers major mv spread, you get strays,
leftover lube doesn't help, no matter how many internet posts claim otherwise.
A single 5 shot group simply proves the dice rolled your way.
Just another random act of accuracy.

Last edited:
This is something i watched a shooter do was wiping the lube of his ammo .
this shooter said this is his way if testing ammo
he must know what he is doing has the best money can by

I'll play! Full disclosure.. I suck, the Kestrel LIES, and I can't read wind worth a crap but got a handle on it-ish. :LOL: Anyways, Bergara B14R with a DeadAir Mask (and a MagnetoSpeed bayo hanging off the end as well), and SK Standard+.
Full size IDPA target...
200yardround2.jpg

First three shots didn't detect and I had to crank up the sensitivity...
200yarddata.jpg

Hey Nut.... wasn't all that difficult to accomplish, was it?
Next time, pay attention to those wind shifts, watch those vegetation movements.
Wait for the lull, then squeeze. Standard plus is adequate for short range use,
but for 200 yards, use a midgrade or better to minimize cartridge defect caused strays.
You should be capable of sub 5 inch 50 shot groups,
with some decent ammo and a bit of patience to wait out the wind.
Try it again, better ammo, let's see what you can do.

Don't forget to drop a scale next to the results for the pic. ;)

Hey! Where's my rifle pron?
View downrange and setup pics if you please. :D

Last edited:
Hey Nut.... wasn't all that difficult to accomplish, was it?
Next time, pay attention to those wind shifts, watch those vegetation movements.
Wait for the lull, then squeeze. Standard plus is adequate for short range use,
but for 200 yards, use a midgrade or better to minimize cartridge defect caused strays.
You should be capable of sub 5 inch 50 shot groups,
with some decent ammo and a bit of patience to wait out the wind.
Try it again, better ammo, let's see what you can do.

Don't forget to drop a scale next to the results for the pic. ;)

Hey! Where's my rifle pron?
View downrange and setup pics if you please. :D
Rifle Pron coming up!
Rifle Pron.jpg

Could have sworn I had a pic of down range... I'll get one this weekend when I go back armed with some SK Rifle Match and Biathlon!
P.S. The -0 circle is 8" if that helps but I'll dig out some scales!

Last edited:
Went and tried again with Rilfe Match this time. A 99 round sample size gave an SD that was a smidge smaller but ES is larger. Winds were running 0 to 4mph at the bench and the grass at the target said there wasn't a breath of wind up there. This is too much fun and I know I can do better! On to the pictures and results...
50@100-1.jpg
50@200-2.jpg
50@200-3.jpg
50@200-6.jpg
50@200-7.jpg

All center of mass Nut.
Equivalent of 223 at 450 yards by time of flight.
Minimal wind cut way back on spread. :D

Reactions: nikonNUT
All center of mass Nut.
Equivalent of 223 at 450 yards by time of flight.
Minimal wind cut way back on spread. :D
Knowing my left from my right would help too! 🤦‍♂️ Might have gotten my windage hold backwards for a few shots <cough> :LOL:

Reactions: mrt949
Went back and tried again with SK Standard+. Full disclosure only 34 shots as I had to re-zero but losing the suppressor (and the MagnetoSpeed bayo) really helped! I'd guess the vertical shrunk by about 35%. Gonna do it again tomorrow with Rifle Match....
200NoSuppressor.PNG

Same rifle pron. Same view. :LOL:

Daaaayyyyyuuuuummmm 545!

If you hadn't a caught them hot and weak cartridges,
that'd a been a sub 4 inch group...jumping carp crap! :D

Bet the ES was 65 fps based on the hi-low points of impact. :(

Last edited:
Daaaayyyyyuuuuummmm 545!

Daaaayyyyyuuuuummmm 545!

I don’t think there is any way to avoid those odd ball rounds unfortunately. This is the lot that showed best during testing at Lapua. Super cool time chatting with Luke while we watched our 3 T1x’s get tested for best lots. BTW all 3 of our T1x’s favored diff lots. I didn’t expect to see just how much of a difference there was between 3 guns being that they set up identical. After seeing the results in person there is no way I could have tested to that level on my own.

Haven’t done this yet but I like the idea. Will post some groups next time we go to the range. Been shooting ten shot groups out to 300 yards on 18” steel plates. Have tried 400 and 500 yard shots but the wind was not cooperating either day. Fun stuff!

I have done a lot of ammo testing. Numerous brands from Lapua center x to CCI and nearly everything in between. My particular set up likes Fiocchi 300 match. If we are plinking Federal auto match shoots well too. I can consistently shoot 1 moa or less with either. Anything else and the groups open up to as much as 2-3 moa. Ammo is everything especially when it comes to rimfire! You will not get sub moa groups with a $2.50 box of ammo. Fiocchi 300 runs about $14.00 a box here when you can find it. It is good stuff! Standard deviation is between 5-10 FPS if memory serves me correct.

The trigger is the other part of the gun that helps with tightening things up. We use ours to practice for ELR since we cannot shoot beyond 1500 yards here locally. 500 yards with a 22LR is about the same as shooting a mile with a 300 WM. I’d say a little harder considering we have done the latter with some measure of success but not been to consistent with the 22.

We are shooting a custom T/C 22 Performance center 10/22 with an Athlon Argos Gen 2 6-24 on it. It is a fun little set up. I look forward to posting some pics and data in the future. It will be fun and interesting to see the results. Good post!
6A145588-B200-4DE9-997B-16961E28063D.jpeg

Reactions: mrt949
I don’t think there is any way to avoid those odd ball rounds unfortunately. This is the lot that showed best during testing at Lapua. Super cool time chatting with Luke while we watched our 3 T1x’s get tested for best lots. BTW all 3 of our T1x’s favored diff lots. I didn’t expect to see just how much of a difference there was between 3 guns being that they set up identical. After seeing the results in person there is no way I could have tested to that level on my own.
What I am always amazed about is that to my knowledge, nobody, no engineers, no physicists, not even Chuck Norris can quantify why certain apparently identical guns prefer different ammo.

I mean, a gun seems to be just a tube with score marks twirling down it. Amirite?*

As a society, we can model nuclear explosions, but this problem makes people (+ ammo & barrel manufacturers!) shrug their shoulders, push the brim of their hat back, look to the heavens, sigh, and talk about magic. Lol 🧙‍♂️

* Like many so-called “simple” things, I’m sure it’s not so simple at all.

Reactions: Paladin300
All I Can tell you with my experience working in the firearms industry for 20 + years
It's called stacking of tolerances .
You have a high and a low .
You get what you get .
Had 2 identical T.C .Contenders 32 hr mag had to have 2 different loads
Go figure

...and CCI 17 grain 17hm2 rated 2010 fps tried at 200 yards

AM-JKLVmc-ocuMPdM8M2z__Z80rXFaByT_pt5gLZeS6Aghp47CInhqVEi1dQ32fkWdRiQBaZwF2Gl1xHSj0uvFn884PlglUeI7KJ9zRmwnHLz6qBBMPp7AdI2Ar-dAIeUF_-W4ssP0bzC_lZ1kTzjg9PyKRD=w356-h475-no

CZ 455 SOF Lilja on the Sinclair

AM-JKLUhXxw87RIHYY7_o25e66Lfd2o6sKU5ldTrtpQHnLZQm98MmCy44siC8fFji4MpetBI77bFSyXuP14qxA0aZnj8cXgsFhad-lBwXLmNhlyqL235_GCbDMkgrsbtOYlxnRFpfD9guZ-i5H-hB5qSiA5I=w321-h497-no

It's CCI hunting ammunition, good enough for center of rodent out to 100 yards.
At 200 yards some keyholing is visible, elongated bullet holes when the bullet is yawing at impact.
It's not intended for precision paper punching. Visible cartridge problems, loose crimps,
uneven seating, bent tips, angled case mouths all cause spread.

AM-JKLW4SP9TgI90W5jlvUgZSwUe9Lk0nM-6j2qaU54erfhuICzlmPCPkBKQui8L4dRmyf8tMCetzGloRH-hlr1sBcbCvol0WGh5JhPuscR1MFYuau6a1zQG0VSerANzJPSDMC8dCGW-f9pGkCq1S4Wu0915=w374-h643-no

About 9 inches of spread at 200 yards, 3 inches at 100 yards and 1 inch at 50 yards.
1 fail to extract due to a split neck.

Ballistic chart for the hm2

AM-JKLUGyCn70MtZqMZuejQTMBeIDsGR5dTYpq_H5FXHTJijC68ZXFBD0gjHtks8wERPCCNBvCojwG0kj7qf6YnySPRGawfT8YdCmsRpOM61fnPZL5xI_XwkNIMCYlpI-jEtjh5QWIbhr-b5BWhvalit86Ko=w723-h564-no

At 2010 fps with a 50 yard zero, bullets should impact 16 inches below point of aim.
Using the 50 yard scope zero established earlier in the morning, the slightly higher average chronied mv
doesn't agree with the chart, mine are averaging a lower point of impact.

Another Saturday morning, another couple of boxes at 200 yards.

Arrived about 9 am and had the 200 yard range to myself.
well, except for tiny...

AM-JKLUsagWfxYfP-iniSLnVdYlyy8rdbnvtbLoWQt6T4GqHEiIGEaqVq4Ws5xCUuySdYJvRaFKOstIX_2cxq8SFPwZ7Xou9CBNAB5h0VQWVC8rgBBbVbYiR15U6p1ZcatjNzSds98oMluIMRU4aEKITrz9y=w395-h326-no

That's an adult pygmy rattlesnake.
Colors are perfect for hiding in the pines and palmettos around the range.
Not so effective on a concrete background.

AM-JKLXEm_297eepFSD3M4aZljlYHBpf_spvbUAvi8q7P6nUsQfE46FwUC8fuumz3pwFCYu1j1DSxlbv0YwxYq3qE5I83WjbKhUapDEDpoiDyZ_5Ee7SWeOQ3kYBwlPcRODVa4vxgR12Dp_f1tEElXzQMvBo=w442-h397-no

Installed the Lija heavy barrel in the original Fuglie.
See what difference there is when skill is uneeded.

AM-JKLUiBprhwgxF9RdSooWdfQ2PQCeI3wzHblXKiFm-bD2Rq3i48I9Uhtz2t63WDt5ZOqaQFdHyd7VCuKGxtU8WTceYJImyZ2aBzF9jE_23Tio0RveXt2y7D8onCf8dH9N5bzQVJUkWY2hnGnEkqQiCrwoP=w712-h459-no

AM-JKLVbv9tdMqwrqcXplRsdelBPAAT5spMqnBiLCG4WN-IVuHYPOmRZig2ZqPwUGdK2MhffE8e2UuGiVAEhktOTeNDyvfoMN6gyjmfMjeOyn_FHxpNwrv0HE58pyXe_0bcAGp1VTw5LyXWvCUYZds8czXt3=w449-h326-no

AM-JKLVYh45neIRZSdioQhIdJPQ37Nw0U4n-iS5_k_lv4-aPOGxYSUqb1L00hWGNUuTPZbuzFSTbI22EK_P6CvUEeg5dKWyVK1tdyaE7iwVgyaj63CfDCyoNnxCFoTdm3z8nX1ijmJ15LVxcW1RzirGT3Co-=w541-h643-no

Hornady 17 grain VMax 17 hm2

AM-JKLV1DmluviK9kQfWQwt6OL0AfqEa3QlSN9vcNWgJTGQhhOg85zFLG03RoVrWfDJNL_wxeZoAYEk2ObxZnU_ndg8BH9KblCrrhhEbpXLenlt_X2fAtPF6BHnmtzMZxt5Y-7ZeIcMAsS1PHqCl4A3VVr__=w446-h529-no

Visual inspection before shooting showed typical CCI made cartridge problems.
Uneven seating, tilted bullets, bent tips and loose crimps.

AM-JKLVdbk-mbc7DaLb5O9cQQagNRH1bQkYuXo8qxiBPrW30o-7evZVDzdJnlyqxNzhDZpBs9oqeK1IMD1M1UwwT3KvxfI61UR0f_bXXHB9oa9TWZBt30KQTwocm-GfzeV9e1QYqsSTH9ZntWma3nkfYCXY4=w551-h462-no

AM-JKLXeAbb93wB5FGmPow8oFU9Fk7Ksp0Nle5YtCpXYi_GRrXFoXTXDSJwKKDtcqPJumlRsr_7Gz_zSzBsRugkM2JMI-SOgJ1pyrR8fQEYv5VaInERe8-zXbOYbuql60NXBVV3_ZJ_TEgSXJVquawVi9vF6=w564-h494-no

This has been typical of all my recent hm2 purchases.
The CCI VNT was so bad it was unable to stay on an 18 by 24 backer at 100 yards.
A known problem and CCI is replacing the 2 bricks of VNT with VMax.

Results from first box of Hornady...

AM-JKLWBWH70p6GJyst67tEIbO1DCo3E43jAEulEtKVdA0AOCiUd-tBcbPB5deWun15dr_1SwG_ProwXNfxXlnZIDsnPRkkYIDgGUdszsAO1YeTUCrR5a4_s-9EILEfDAvLLMJ_VzPYJYEkDAXwELsnjk2Bn=w501-h643-no

KH is keyholing....the 17 hm2 hits 1350 fps at about 150 yards.
That's the beginning of the transition from supersonic to subsonic.
Doesn't exit transition, about 950 fps until about 350 yards.
The spitzer bullets exhibit instability in the transonic region.
Change in center of pressure from heel to nose causes yaw.
That's why those keyholers are showing up at 200 yards.
Out to 150 yards the spitzer ballistic tips are okay.

AM-JKLWNd3eAVXxjiBLSVZkoOKM3NnUGkd0cX1deH7llIzp3usDS9X35s6fvitx_CRlvohCbDGMMaeNJ4J3mM6qezFe3fNpEagU89VerwlWZ0gt2dWan92cZTd_gu0BOabFyDH6UgMkuP4sU6wbk9ytXOd6o=w435-h643-no

Not much difference in results between Fuglie and Son of Fuglie.
The problem isn't me, or the setup, or the rifle....just what you get from CCI made rimfire ammunition.

At 200 yards 7 to 8 inches of vertical.
At 100 yards expect 2.5 inches of spread.
At 50 yards there's going to be about 0.8 inches of spread.
At 25 to 30 yards it'll be perfect for head shots on squirrels or rabbits, offhand.

CCI VMax 17 grain 17 hm2

AM-JKLUmy1xIS4Jxk-iaHiBu_jz-KOd9kySKVFfRU5welmsEfqFk9H68d2sg2F92oeovcMWqrw3NehiqKSYRbh_NZXZskMLJU3i5SDUYnESxdteXzu9K6fjDlb1Ezf0zPjU1C7h1R4uEObDFG6n0GhUY2ycB=w364-h455-no

CZ 455 Fuglie Lilja

AM-JKLXL6GsZCPkzg6ed8Qk1w6htPtQc7igMwjHB8_PggJrJgKTCJdxeIJv60MDZUMI-sU9wEoKJhqe3T2tdN9mzLCbE8nkmWgJM9CZWS6dyYq71NXZNjZQ8Q2pOmGb95c1gF-F83l4rD0HGkmHvSNsg3MUS=w421-h507-no

At 200 yards with conditions almost perfect,
just over 6 inches of vertical...

AM-JKLXBwbIMmN-enTePZLegZc8R9VQbEfyqX58XEvtYRY7UuUs3lehB4DDOqaZHM1cZ-d2tJfDE98KnSXO6pGOakx6-C8Cl69wx08Sw0MtHCQn6fK-b020Yc9szssBfVNDake1A7W3MoRTTp-u3YciagJkD=w548-h521-no

6 inches at 200 yards
2 inches at 100 yards
0.7 inches at 50 yards

KH is keyhole, multiple impacts show yaw (red)
Out to 150 yards no problem.
At 200 yards transonic zone affects stability.

Hornady VMax 17 grain 17 hm2

AM-JKLVlvGzVaVYZYWsKvQdCy9QfKE859CBjbTfU_rlHgx1kx4a4KEBlI63YWU25FedkLL-fU-DBwoAmjoE5zGQ_lVGnU9uUkaJT5G6eJNOLCb3G_9TrVUfTQJh_Dw4AjAGEVRNBSQhKWkOT7ZdOdSlG9p3J=w414-h577-no

CZ 455 Fuglie Lilja

AM-JKLVh-iU_K1RGYxaOv5bDWQi4MmX4MnK33zPgmPKujz5ee8RgAEJZq1esQKFltwkQr_VVo6Q6ZwBulUmR4h_QOp3pnR8XgybDa-FIQVSYyG9lZQCg9CSInvFRo89oDTChuy0pAdQAQCcLADBmBbLbS3DN=w437-h591-no

More keyholing showing up

AM-JKLXx0Lg1ZkfMbGLkxjhsvHAIr1BqquL9QtykH8uy1gqOPPI2gM4QBT5lJgsAXHsgwFi7gbaZGWYPyOwe1Kd08Xo64cgKGih3vEqNjtwn2BCNuKZ4YuaNRT5HRwOx8z-BzZzDKW53Ldp2JDT9m0pyLd7o=w516-h637-no

Same results as the CCI VMax hm2.
Lilkely because the Hornady is relabeled CCI VMax.
Same assembly line, same components, different labels and headstamps.

Eley 17 grain 17 hm2 made in 2005

AM-JKLUdaTCbAxKWsN-XVOqaLNCL8gZfQnysu0r3eRIHVcJxzjzWlZUvzKIr-pmsen9K4PLBG5WfZtCLpC9orTewBUZZBeHRe38pv2L-IP0TNTMcglIYgt1RD4ynyvP7YXUOSTOkzOsoCPPyc1QMufNTY71u=w396-h513-no

CZ 455 Fuglie Lilja

AM-JKLXUQVtJWcYlTyr_h0Om-Jq0giW4l8Fgm_MxuuYGJGp6bfqXHVoLN6mKaqJHhDMydqV2pKe1nmYAKkG_lEKSGPYnP1kVhvkBo2X0n5FSJ0W7-V6uHOtcKRDVJsecDBqhUJVCgAAhUJejk5-CJ472YAMm=w420-h493-no

Typical of the hm2 cartridges from the original production, occasional split necks.
Any fail to extracts and the culprit is the split brass.

AM-JKLUSE2sPBVbafIJr_nL2oqHUSD8Wq2L1PjUzXvnTkXFtEPSUCO8yekOKTprdACGjv3g0F4qIgsxaZJFcZdHY6w-0VAeJV5IAmTSD_hUkKTMG9HlGni-fZHlaCfPWtAvhr7cEmheeTVJckIYkJJsrBw31=w452-h463-no

Similar results to all the other hm2 tried.
It's hunting ammunition, not intended for precision shooting.
Keyholing showing up with the Eley also.
Spitzer bullets don't deal well with the transition.

AM-JKLWqErbZY6yxz2ndSq8gNTdlqPfLgMnROhCfyEhqX9EMxRhWsYth8wPZfGNy63xIajVcSn0_yYU0HNh02rlhdOnMWPj78iPtFnQtDnq-ZiIWrqc6GtO-54Czx_jgvW99JYrQPNSZHC7ojvl_P-1iyTsq=w493-h517-no

Now I need to find the Hornady NTX 15.5 grain 17hm2.

The 17 hm2 ballistic tip suffers from the same annoyances as the 17 hmr ballistic tip.
Loose crimps, uneven bullet seating, variations in cartridge dimensions and mv spread.
It's varminting ammo, center of critter and meat spray.

Last edited:
This stuff ? It’s a couple /few years old
Pm me your address and I will send you a box for testing , I’ve shot it and the same brand in 17Gr , 17Gr was way better in basically new ruger m77 17m2
1656545022893.jpeg

When did you make the shooting setup .give a decription with photos if you can

If y'er asking about the barrel block Fuglie, previous post...

I've intended to do this for some time. Finally its happened. Once again the vertical dispersion SD is the "same" as the 20 shot groups I use for the bulk of my testing. 10 isnt enough 15 is min above 20 is a waste of ammo unless its good therapy. Which it is for me.
I enter each POI into a spread sheet with notes. This lets me pull group data on a lot of ammo and compare how it did in different rifles or compare 20 shot groups vs 50 etc. Plot out how it did at 50 vs 100 etc. or any other way I find useful.

Shot at 23⁰c 986 hpa 4-6 mpr 11-1 wind I'm in the open so no funny berm stuff going on. 1098 fps ave both rifles
20220711_184609.jpg

Ultimatum Deuce IBI 1-12 Eley Match
20220711_184647.jpg

Rim X IBI 1-12 Eley Match wind really got me 🤷‍♂️ held 0.2 mil right to 0.4 mil left.

Looking good CRPS...

Ya' have to pay attention to detail at any distance,
but at 200 yards y'er focus has to be intense in order to maintain decent results.
My best is right at 4 inches of spread for 50 shots with the 22lr, limited mostly by ammo quality.
Break out the Shilen 223 F-Class and my hand loads, I can cut that in half, even with wind.

Last edited:
Thanks Justin! I've enjoyed watching what you all come up with. A few years ago I did a test comparing shots per group to see what was best for drawing solidish conclusions. But it was fun to do this again.

This is actually part of a bigger test I'm doing. I have a barrel I can run in my Deuce and RimX. I can also adjust headspace so both these groups are the same barrel and ammo but different actions and headspace.
Both are in MDT ACC chassis and I shoot prone with bipod and rear bag.

CCI VMax 17hm2 17 grain
200 yards CZ 455 Lilja Fuglie

AM-JKLVGgG1ULsNVV4IBdMCKv4gRLz4UNASvfznKQb94G3HV5TNGfpPrvoo9oCa2qzeBp1nfFF47FuLIFYfCrtTBkayCWtX2fo0qFjENAb0If707gREEy7VoJXWrR5hudy9jMUdLr0SGEZEa6jjJ0Ut7zNgQ=w439-h549-no

AM-JKLWhSXsWGELbNPiC4nVsoblLtoc0c-TwmNOC8v6Xwgs8YZ4GZGwF8Nht5X2LH6SA4rod8QW3k2St0ADcuNFILs5_mEagoUMDDpA05lNA2M14c2C8CTxD8qFpQmvzy3wHlfx0cTZU4a7Bmij3Xo-NAaDA=w530-h592-no

AM-JKLWZK-lQvvqTdmVSbnyZuOSu10iZsIq88bi3-6d67YtrHjyLIzU6WommIlFwf-reW1_i4DyOTQiTZmz99xY131gWQUJMUZ-BY8A0fotzk4AE8YsYCeMC3UyW2oCo0GDCN1AN0cVSj9ubXUhUsIkzsgNp=w430-h418-no

No split necks this box.
Only a few keyholes.
Still mv related vertical spread.

200 yards produces 6 inches of vertical
At 100 yards expect 2 inches
At 50 yards about 0.6 inches of vertical spread.

Reactions: RegionRat
Finally found some Hornady 15.5 grain NTX 17 hm2.
Took it to the range this morning to find out what it would do at 200 yards.
Almost no wind, hot, humid, overcast and had the range to myself.
Started shooting at 8 am, done at 8:45. Only a couple moments
when I had to wait out a slight breeze stirring the weed tops.

AM-JKLWICRtRCE81-ZPJ8emNV7F5qXfpW-YCLMi26V9-xxHoa9VvM3OA7HTS9Sa1umnlCIF4NSvGzfdIW-2bxwLXl0YUIuxl0aDFwC74PP384ckKlFted_Syej6SLkPUEr4f1yrOhhlFgvvkbOcBsM_HMLHh=w407-h550-no

Fuglie and Lilja at 200 yards

AM-JKLU9tn8jha51yQpiizgvBHZT12IawtE5RlD93-srLLLhbXXDJlPPJldFp31C1a9Wlmq-er4IVszE-LTwy6WiwB7Q_c51hsWHKo5wykA-iMPCmmW6ZoectlfYY8re79gTV42M_NyPuhQVj9ygUzuaD_Tc=w426-h487-no

AM-JKLUjnbvajFZYO150KbsPAdOjaUjBgy-iP3L2Kog7sUaYcyIt57h2Pg6YEcmr9TAOigIwQElfAHGIAh65jo_Q7r3g0dz0_9NNxOLzsR4DE8ok-p3TNH-DVVjcAxoo8IghLdFg73AhmQD82SUbPrVWfdQv=w601-h556-no

Almost every shot keyholed.
The 1.5 grain difference from the 17 grain VMax
looks to be enough to totally destabilize the NTX
as it drops below 1350 fps. ES of 150 fps,
spread worse than the 17 grain VMax.

I have a Vudoo with a 20" MTU Ace. I shoot Lapua ammo pretty much exclusively.
With the current ammo situation lot testing means you buy multiple bricks when you can then shoot it and hope for the best.
Some will be excellent, some you can live with and others you wish for a refund, LOL.
Most all of the ammo looks good at 50yds, separation of the lots start to show at 100yds but getting out to 200 is where the wheels will come off for some.
Shooting PRS is what I do most, with time constraints and quick decisions on wind holds sometimes with the longer shots (175yds and out) I am left wondering what happened especially when target placement gives you zero feedback on misses.
So this brings us to the 200yd thread when I begin Shooting a bench silhouette match (chickens 86yds, pigs 122, turkeys 175, rams 205) that has a sheet metal backer plate for the targets so you get to see everything. In this match you have 10 minutes for your 10 shots, almost like F-class you get to watch and wait for conditions.
So I'm shooting the rams seeing the flash as they fall, impacts are within my wind bracket and then one dips out 6" below the waterline. This is what prompted me to run all my lots through a test at 200, this morning was perfect as there was virtually no left to right, the vertical dispersion shows in all it glory. Sorry I could not run 50 rounds at each target although promising lots were repeated for 20.

Red dots are 1.5"
20220717_155202.jpg

Reactions: Gleedus
This thread should be a sticky. I look here and at the 50 at 200 on rimfirecentral quite often.
Wind beat me down hard at a little match yesterday. I'm shooting CCI SV, the guy who won is shooting SK yellow box.
Looking at your reviews of both boxes.... ammo didn't beat me. The dude is a legit good shooter.

I will post a couple of 200 yard groups. No chrono data. Only 5 shots each. I simply have no interest in shooting long strings at paper. Rather squirrel hunt or take a nap. I shoot the groups to determine where to adjust the sights for longer shots on crows.

First target was shot to get data for custom
Reticule. No concern for windage. Details written on both targets. Note lack of vertical in first target. It was shot prone.

The large dot on the 200 yard target is 2”.

I am aware that these targets will be called “wallet groups” but really don’t care. They represent what my rifle does in good conditions. I don’t test in other than near perfect conditions.

Groups were shot prone with sling or sitting with sling and backrest.

My accuracy expectation at 200 yards is sub 4” under field conditions. Anything over is my fault. My average is about 2.5”. Occasionally I do a good bit better.

Both the rifle and ammunition were carefully selected over years of testing. Several dozen top quality rifles and countless lots of ammo.

Rifle is in bottom photo.
8D00317A-1443-4CC9-9F19-1F2352ECE920.jpeg
63A8C0F3-86DF-403C-9FAA-2E34A7A2D642.jpeg

4D91468B-F93B-4EBD-A40B-8A802907819B.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember back in the early days of this SH Forum (Rimfire) - we use to send 25 shots down Range from 200 yards at a 5 Inch gong... We sure had a lot of fun with that! (y):)

Reactions: Topstrap
This thread should be a sticky. I look here and at the 50 at 200 on rimfirecentral quite often.
Wind beat me down hard at a little match yesterday. I'm shooting CCI SV, the guy who won is shooting SK yellow box.
Looking at your reviews of both boxes.... ammo didn't beat me. The dude is a legit good shooter.

Switching winds throws a big wrench in 22 shooting at 200. Shoot that CCI and some center x or eley match at 200 in calm conditions and I bet the groups are way better with CX or eley.