• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

I came across this photo:

6432541.jpg

Those mountains in background are Sniper Country
cry.gif

If you get this on TV, you should change the name to "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN".

I'm tempted, 7 months to prepare would make it workable. I do live and hunt in the same type of terrain.

Too bad one guy can't do all the shooting, my partner can't shoot for shit but it would make it doable for a 64 year old man with COPD.

I'm tempted, I wont win, the 30 miles in 24 hours would get me, but it would be fun just to compete.

Partner >>>
Pete.JPG

Any remote estimate on how fast this match will be booked up?

Quick question: So one man carries a rifle, the other the carbine. Are they allowed to switch weapons at any given time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question: So one man carries a rifle, the other the carbine. Are they allowed to switch weapons at any given time? </div></div>The rules appear to permit it while carrying, but not for the shooting portion.

My wife and I just sent in our registration form and payment. Trainup has begun! See ya'll there.

Geb

And mailed! Done and done. Add one more team to the comp.

Montague

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to keep us upto date on how many teams enter?</div></div>
Not on a day by day basis. I can post updates periodically.

Drool!
It's highly unlikely I could get there due to work but holy shit... I'm KEEN as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to brush up on basic lock picking, pad locks, combo locks and hand cuffs. Think E&E scenario. Also knots are a good thing to know.
</div></div>

Can you be a little more specific about this? I have never been taught anything about combo locks or pad locks. Will the picks be supplied or do the competitors need to acquire them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to brush up on basic lock picking, pad locks, combo locks and hand cuffs. Think E&E scenario. Also knots are a good thing to know.
</div></div>

Can you be a little more specific about this? I have never been taught anything about combo locks or pad locks. Will the picks be supplied or do the competitors need to acquire them? </div></div>

Indeed, and how does one who's unaccustomed to picking locks go about learning this skill? I can imagine googling this and then under the new defense bill (thanks McCain you asshole) getting picked up by the military as a terrorist in training....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Indeed, and how does one who's unaccustomed to picking locks go about learning this skill? I can imagine googling this and then under the new defense bill (thanks McCain you asshole) getting picked up by the military as a terrorist in training.... </div></div>

In prep for that skill, I plan on spending a week in Sing Sing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Sing

Wish me luck
smile.gif

The intent is that none of the challenges/tests that are outside the realm of land-nav + shooting be worth a really significant number of points, but enough that you'll want to try to get them.

We would provide any specialized tools you would need, but you're not prohibited from bringing stuff either.

FYI, lock picks are not illegal (at least not in CO or UT).

As for resources, there are numerous books, internet forums, and youtube videos on the subject.

Let me draw your attention to the Competition Dynamics RO program.

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE DEAL
It's pretty simple - if you apply and are accepted to RO a match, you get a free, guaranteed slot at another CD match of your choice in the following 12 months. </span>

DETAILS- http://competition-dynamics.com/ro.php

I got six teams' registrations in the mail today. I'll be updating the "FORUM" tab link on the match web site as applications come in. Check for your team's initials.

Just as an idiot check, there is no slot for a physical signature on the application correct?

Internet here is kinda shitty and things sometimes do not load all the way.

Thanks
PJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devils_Emissary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming that "lock picking skills" doesn't entail me drawing my .40, aiming at said item and firing until successful? HAHA
grin.gif
</div></div>

That would take longer than picking the lock thereby wasting time...
grin.gif

Application just went in the mail.

Couple other questions:
Will there be water resupply points or will teams be carrying all water on them for the duration of the race?

Will checkpoints for landnav be given in MGRS or lat/long?

Thanks
PJ

We are pleased to announce that Trimble has signed up as a Sustaining Sponsor for the 2012 Competition Dynamics matches (excluding the SH Cup). Trimble makes super rugged field computers (and lots of other stuff) that is used by military snipers and others around the world. We are really happy to have the backing of a billion dollar corporation.

ReconFront.gif

We are pleased to announce that XS Sight Systems has signed up as an Associate Sponsor for the 2012 Competition Dynamics matches (excluding the SH Cup).

xs-logo-alpha.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ReconFront.gif
</div></div>Does that mean I can use my Nomad in the match?

I apologize if this question was already answered, but I couldn't see that it was when I scanned this thread.

Will this competion be open to spectators? I imagine that the only viable spots for this would be at the various check points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will this competion be open to spectators? I imagine that the only viable spots for this would be at the various check points.</div></div>
Certain areas may be open to spectators, but the course as a whole will not be and most checkpoints will not be accessible. No one other than competitors and staff will be allowed out in the race/match area without my approval.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will there be bonus points just for Using old school weaponry?</div></div>No. There is no information posted on the web site that would suggest this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, you'll have to sign a bunch of stuff when you sign in. </div></div>

My partner brought up a few good questions.
1. In reference to the above quote. What will be signing?
2. will we get to preview on the site before we spend 1,000's of dollars in Registration, transportation, equipment, lodging etc.only to find out that there is something in the fine print that is not agreeable and past the time of refund.
3. Concealed Cary Permits, yes / no ? I have done a quick check and my state does not have reciprocity with UT.
Thank you

Weird question... I can tell you as a competitor at Zak's local 3-Gun Matches and a weak competitor at the inaugural Thunder Beast Arms Team Challenge... There's no hidden print. Noting weird going one. Competition Dynamics sets up a well organized match. You'll sign a waiver to deter you from suing them if you do something stupid or fall or whatever...

I think Zak sent out some photos of the TBATC site before the match but it was pretty limited. The surprise was part of the challenge. From what I hear that area in Utah is about as good as it gets for a shoot like this.

I'm not shooting in this match as it's not my kind of deal... Basically I don't have the skill set for it... But I've turned in my application for this years TBATC... Based on last years great match, I've put my checkbook where my mouth is and will be back this year. If you want a bad ass match I would suggest any of the matches from Competition Dynamics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John7722</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, you'll have to sign a bunch of stuff when you sign in. </div></div>

My partner brought up a few good questions.
1. In reference to the above quote. What will be signing?
2. will we get to preview on the site before we spend 1,000's of dollars in Registration, transportation, equipment, lodging etc.only to find out that there is something in the fine print that is not agreeable and past the time of refund.
3. Concealed Cary Permits, yes / no ? I have done a quick check and my state does not have reciprocity with UT.
Thank you </div></div>
I'll assume questions #1 and #2 are both about the "stuff you have to sign" comment. If this is incorrect for #2, please clarify. On the registration form, at the bottom, it says, <span style="font-style: italic">"You will be required to sign a liability waiver and media acknowledgement / model release during sign-in."</span> That is the scope of what you will sign during check-in.

At an event of this style, we obviously need an acknowledgement and acceptance of the dangers inherent in any shooting match as well as the additional risks involved in adventure racing and land-nav. This type of acknowledgement/acceptance/release is required so these types of events can happen, otherwise there is too much risk to our companies, homes/assets, and livelihoods if you do something dumb.

The "media acknowledgement and/or model release" is there because we are going to have media on site and competitors may end up on film; it will put the onus on the competitor if he needs to stay anonymous.

These forms will not be available beforehand. If you have specific concerns please contact me privately.

With regard to question #3, concealed carry, it shouldn't matter. You aren't going to have loaded firearms unless you are at a control point/stage under the direction of an RO; if you choose to carry one or more of them in a pack or otherwise contained they won't be loaded; and finally at a shooting match one can reasonably expect that the competitors have the required firearms and they are not "hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John7722</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Zak Smith said:
</div></div>

I don't think this one is Zak's responsibility; instead it should be part of each team's IPB. There are lots of photos available on internet of both the general area in UT and Sniper's Country specifically. I posted one such photo above. Think of it as part of the challenge in the Challenge!!!

Sorry fellas! My smart phone is Dumb.
What I meant was:
Can we preview the paperwork that we will be signing at the Event.
As for the CC Permit. I ask this because my state Considers a hand gun loaded weather regardless of it being actualy loaded or not! if you have a hand gun with a loaded clip on your person ,but not in the hand gun! It is considerd "Loaded" and a CC is required. even at a range in view of the public weather loaded or not a CC is required.
Utah law as I read it, looks like I can Cary
I want to be100% sure