• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Silly question perhaps, but is the map you will provide at the start of the race the same one available from 'mytopo' that you have linked on the event webpage?

Ok, thanks. One more rule question, if I carry a back-up optic, will I be penalized if I swap sighting devices? (in reference to 'Teams' no.6)

To clarify the compass part, is it ok to bring a digital compass as long as you have a regular compass as a backup? Sorry if this has all ready been discussed but there are 8 pages here now.

Also, I just got the email regarding the tshirts and having a luminous number on them for the event. I think this is a bad idea if we are required to use these for a 24 hr event. If bad weather comes in, nobody is going to want to wear a tshirt. Also, in the hot weather I would prefer to wear something else then a supplied tshirt. Why don't you guys do something like a armband instead? That way you guys don't pigeonhole everyone into wearing a tshirt.

That email said the number would go on a provided combat shirt, not the match tshirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clarify the compass part, is it ok to bring a digital compass as long as you have a regular compass as a backup? </div></div>
Yes. You must bring what is on the required gear list, which includes at least one non-digital compass. Digital compasses are not prohibited, so you can bring one in addition to the regular compass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That email said the number would go on a provided combat shirt, not the match tshirt. </div></div>

I typed wrong and shouldn't have put down tshirt. I did see it said combat style shirt. I have worked in all types of weather and the last thing I want to have to worry about is being issued a shirt the day of an event that is going to suck regardless of how well I prepare for it. I have been issued a ton of stuff in my life and I don't know how many times I have been given something that sucks or doesn't fit and stuck with something that doesn't fit because that is all that is left. I think this might sound like a good idea and I might be whining about nothing, but I don't want to have to wear an issued shirt for this event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not required but it is a good piece of kit. </div></div>

Works for me!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not required but it is a good piece of kit. </div></div>

Do you know what brand/type of shirt we'll be given?

Is there any chance we could have a look at the shirt? I'd like to see if it's something I want over or under my other gear (affects size choice)

aw2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Non-tactical is the new tactical for all tactical operators and lowly infantry janitors.</div></div>Cory can't be serious: No Hello Kitty match shirt?!!
laugh.gif

There is not NEARLY enough velcro for all my cool guy patches.......or for me to hang my Captain America Shield on. WTF? Who is in charge of this debacle?????

Cool looking shirt! Is it hi-tech in the wicking, keeping cool department? In the heat we're going to experience, not just any shirt will do.

6.5x47

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Non-tactical is the new tactical for all tactical operators and lowly infantry janitors.</div></div>Cory can't be serious: No Hello Kitty match shirt?!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Be careful what you wish for, around this crowd...
wink.gif

I had Andy (303 Arms, Inc.) make this holster for me. Zak approved the design, and it fits nicely on the waist strap of my pack. He can make pretty much anything you want. If interested, his email is [email protected].

eb640489.jpg

Very similar to the one I made. I used a snap on the Kydex of my SERPA though instead of the fastex. Should work well. Now for the cardiovascular system....

If there is anyone who signed up or is on the wait list that has reservations about their partners commitment, or, is looking for a partner please PM me.

Thanks
Adam

Zak-
here is a question for you about the required first aid kit-
is the # of items the amount we need to start with or have at all times with us?

For example, the race starts and I have my 6 painkiller pills. Say I get a headache and take 1 of the required 6 painkillers, leaving me with only 5. Am I now violating the rules?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the consumable or one-use items, if you use them up "legitimately" then there is no problem. </div></div>

Copy.

Question may have been obvious but I have had too many First Sergeants were "bring two MREs" meant bring three if you wanted to eat anything
laugh.gif
Thanks Zak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That ranger was not worthy of it's name. It quit an hour into it's patrol. All we asked it to do was climb 6000 vertical feet in 3 miles, carrying a light load. They should have called it the "polaris sailor". Then I would have had a better idea of what it was capable of. </div></div>

LOL.....that got a chuckle outa me.

2 questions about the Land Nav:

1- Will we be allowed to use the roads and trails, and/or "hand-rail" them. Website states "Major control points (stages and challenges) must be taken in-order. Bonus control points may be taken in any order. Match briefing will take precedence." But wanted to clarify.

2- Will we be given all our objective coordinates at once or as we arrive at each subsequent point?

Sorry if this has been covered, didn't find anything...

There is no restriction about using trails, roads, etc.

We will give you a list of coordinates that comprise (1) the list of mandatory control points (doubling as the locations of the Challenges and Stages) including the order restrictions, and (2) a list of bonus checkpoints. These lists will be provided at the start of the event.

We were just down in NM for a week running the Steel Safari, and now we're getting ready for the SHC. Once that's over (late June) I'll start to publish some documents that flesh out more details that might help you formulate a plan or strategy.

One thing has been bothering me and feel free to tell me that such information will be provided at the start of the race, but I want nothing to do with the racing caravan (to use a phrase). My hope is that the race will test the land navigation, and sustainment skills of each team, not just their ability to follow another team to the same checkpoint. So the question goes like this... will all the teams be seeking the same check points at the same time? If a PM response is more better, that's cool too.

Whenever you have multiple teams out there at the same time, there is the potential for "drafting". Even at events with staggered starts (like enduro races or Baja) you get it. And even if you don't specify checkpoint order, the smart teams will all figure out the best route.

In our case we have about a dozen mandatory checkpoints (doubling as the challenges) that must be taken in a specific order. The field will spread out a lot due to the difficulty of the physical challenges. There will be many bonus checkpoints that may be taken in any order, spread out all over the place. In this sense, the more points you want (from bonus checkpoints), the more/better/faster land-nav you'll have to do, and the "drafting" teams will likely be left in the dust (or get lost).

Most challenges have a maximum number of teams that can do them simultaneously, so a "drafting" team has a motivation to pass their draftee in order to complete the challenge first.

I'll be published more match documents in the couple weeks after we finish the SnipersHide Cup (we leave tomorrow for that).

thanks

Thanks Zak. You've been great answering all these posts. Really looking forward to this.

Is it possible to confirm whether or not the shooting stages are going to be ran at night?

I have a scope that I'd like to sell but right now it's the only other illuminated one I have to run on the spotter's rifle.

If this question is not going to be answered then that's answer enough.

My partner advised yesterday he won't be able to participate in the match.

So, at this late date I'm looking for a another partner. I've been training specifically for this match and have plans to be in the Colorado/Utah area for most of July (I'm in Texas now). But can travel other places to train. I'm willing to shoot either gun.

If you have interest please PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to confirm whether or not the shooting stages are going to be ran at night?</div></div>
yes, but not long-range rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came across this photo:

6432541.jpg

Those mountains in background are Sniper Country
cry.gif
</div></div>

I was re-reading all 9 pages of posts to refresh my memory on some items and I'm pretty sure those mountains are to the East of I-15. Sniper Country is West of I-15.

6.5x47

As expected, I have received some stuff for teams that I will truck to the match from Denver. If you have any questions or concerns about the stuff you have told me is coming email me: [email protected] and we'll get it sorted.

We have a few match slots become available as a couple teams have had to drop out. Please register online if you want to compete in the 2012 24HSAC.

thanks

Will i be required to have the healstrap on pack mounted holsters in addition to a serpa lock?

Ron

Zak,

Just finished up the SHC with you guys in Douglas and had a great time.

I have a gear questions that I wanted to see if you guys would be willing to shed some light on. I have a precision LR-308 type rifle with a 3-15 power scope that I have been planning on using for the carbine rifle, so as to be able to engage the targets at 500yds with a higher level of accuracy. But the more I think about it the more I think I would be better off with my SIG .556 with an eotech holographic sight so I would be able to have a faster target acquisition and engagement. So my question is would a ar-15 type rifle with a red-dot scope be more suited to the type of shooting the carbine will be doing or would my precision LR-308 with a 3-15 scope be more suited.

Obviously, fitness, weather, speed, and equipment will all alter hydration strategies. In general, would we expect to be filling with potable water at checkpoints and treating water when needed, or should we plan on treating most of our water and filling at a checkpoint on occasion?

There will a finite amount of water available at the majority of the mandatory checkpoints. That means that you'll <span style="font-style: italic">probably</span> be able to refill no further than every about 6-8 miles. Be prepared to treat water, though.

Zak,

With the ultra dry conditions do you foresee us still using pen flares at night?

6.5x47

I could be wrong, but my guess was that the flares were intended for emergency use only, and that either way they will remain stowed this season.

What are you, team members, using for ear protection and how are you carrying it? In a perfect world I'd love to use my Sordin MSA's, to hear the metal clang of the steel reactive targets, but am afraid of damaging them.

6.5x47