• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 ARC

A 6ARC doesn't make sense when you can do the same thing with less constraints with a 6BR.

But like Greg said, "You can milk anything with nipples."
Like I said, it makes sense when I already own a bunch of 6 ARC stuff - factory ammo, brass, bullets, powder, dies, etc. Makes no sense to go for a different caliber just because I can fit it in the action.

Like I said, it makes sense when I already own a bunch of 6 ARC stuff - factory ammo, brass, bullets, powder, dies, etc. Makes no sense to go for a different caliber just because I can fit it in the action.
Ahhh, now the tangential reasons come out...

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Ya for sure I understand your points. I’m surely not arguing just thinking out loud on a forum lol. I know from a couple reputable guys one in particular that I respect his knowledge that the 22arc blows the 6arc away in an ar15. He was shooting one at the quantified performance finale and we spoke on it then.

I'm excited to see a SAAMI version of the 22 Grendel come to market, especially from Hornady, because their support may make it more likely to stick around than the Valkyrie.

But TBH, other than the availability of factory ammo for those who don't want to reload, I can't see any advantage the 22 ARC might have over the 22 BR in a bolt gun.

I'm excited to see a SAAMI version of the 22 Grendel come to market, especially from Hornady, because their support may make it more likely to stick around than the Valkyrie.

But TBH, other than the availability of factory ammo for those who don't want to reload, I can't see any advantage the 22 ARC might have over the 22 BR in a bolt gun.
I have no doubt 22 ARC is superior to 6 ARC in an AR in every way accept splash/energy on target. My 18" Valk is the balitic equal to my 22" 6ARC I'm already invested in Valkyrie and it's working well. If wanting to shoot factory ammo 22 ARC makes sense.

For a bolt gun I toyed with the idea of 224 Valk, but ended up going 22 GT for my Tika & have 6 GT on an ARC action. No regrets. Same HS gauge, 1 SAC die, 2 bushings, & same AICS mags for 22GT - 6.5Creedmoor.
No drama & a lot of good powder options.

I have no doubt 22 ARC is superior to 6 ARC in an AR in every way accept splash/energy on target. My 18" Valk is the balitic equal to my 22" 6ARC I'm already invested in Valkyrie and it's working well. If wanting to shoot factory ammo 22 ARC makes sense.

For a bolt gun I toyed with the idea of 224 Valk, but ended up going 22 GT for my Tika & have 6 GT on an ARC action. No regrets. Same HS gauge, 1 SAC die, 2 bushings, & same AICS mags for 22GT - 6.5Creedmoor.
No drama & a lot of good powder options.
You should do your Valkyrie in a bolt if you like the Valkyrie. I had Fritz at black canyon do a long throat and this Valkyrie bolt I have is so freekin awesome. Still new to me and working up a load but first try is already looking great. That’s honestly what has me all hyped up about another 22 call bolt. With it potentially being the arc in a bolt gun. This Valkyrie is for my wife and it’s so impressive that now I want a 22 bolt for myself!

You should do your Valkyrie in a bolt if you like the Valkyrie. I had Fritz at black canyon do a long throat and this Valkyrie bolt I have is so freekin awesome. Still new to me and working up a load but first try is already looking great. That’s honestly what has me all hyped up about another 22 call bolt. With it potentially being the arc in a bolt gun. This Valkyrie is for my wife and it’s so impressive that now I want a 22 bolt for myself!
Isn't Fritz the same guy that modded the AI bolt for Franks Valkyrie?

Honestly I grin ear to ear shooting the 22GT, it's a laser. The decision was a practical one for me. Already had a doner Tika with 308BF, so all that was required was a barrel, Alpha Brass, and a SAC bushing for the modular GT die. Also I'm at see level. Frank was getting 3050 from his Valk, but stepping on it pretty hard with cfe 223 to get their. With the 22GT 3050 with 88's was my fire forming load with 6.5 Staball & old Wolf primers. Put 20 rounds inside of .9" without trying. Feeds perfect from unmodified ARC mags. So far I've tried 6.5 Staball, RL 16, RL 15.5, H4350, & N555. There was no clear winner, liked them all. At modest speeds the Alpha brass is going to last a long long time & barrel life will be good if I can keep my foot off the gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoner69
Yes Fritz was actually franks recommended guy to do Valkyrie work. He also ended up doing a 7 Sherman short for me, fantastic gun smith for sure! Is the gt brass easy to buy and affordable?

Also if running 88 in the gt at 3050 your mild load what do you expect for barrel life?

Yes Fritz was actually franks recommended guy to do Valkyrie work. He also ended up doing a 7 Sherman short for me, fantastic gun smith for sure! Is the gt brass easy to buy and affordable?
Seems like Alpha has been running it regularly. In stock at Blue Collar now for $125 per 100.

Also if running 88 in the gt at 3050 your mild load what do you expect for barrel life?
If I keep down at that speed I'd expect 2500+

I think If you push the Valk over 3000 then barrel life would be about the same. You'd just have a much bigger box of clapped out Valk brass by the time the barrel id dead. Starline is probably the best brass I've used in the Valk & it's not as good as Alpha.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Frank told me they got 8k out of a Valkyrie barrel
Wouldn't surprise me with 2750 factory loads.

To not completely derail this thread. I'm hoping to raise the goal post for 22ARC this weekend.
Shooting the new Hornady 62gr ELDM-VT from the 18" Valkyrie.
Lever
XBR
H4895
Staball Match

Then we'll see how the 22 ARC stacks up.
It wont be fair since Hornady as of now is not planning to offer factory 62 VT loads for the Valk.
It would be very interesting if @Ledzep could load a comparison 224 vs. 22ARC with these 62 VT's at the 58K SPC pressure vs. 52K Grendel using their proprietary blended powder. That would have my full attention if the ARC in-fact rained supreme. I suspect speed would be close, but ARC likley would be easier to tune.

I will say this, the 22 ARC has an advantage with the Grendel case head. More meat around the primer so should hold up longer. Everything comes with a price though Grendel bolt is weaker than SPC. Also sadly the mags for SPC cases are still better.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Isn't Fritz the same guy that modded the AI bolt for Franks Valkyrie?

Honestly I grin ear to ear shooting the 22GT, it's a laser. The decision was a practical one for me. Already had a doner Tika with 308BF, so all that was required was a barrel, Alpha Brass, and a SAC bushing for the modular GT die. Also I'm at see level. Frank was getting 3050 from his Valk, but stepping on it pretty hard with cfe 223 to get their. With the 22GT 3050 with 88's was my fire forming load with 6.5 Staball & old Wolf primers. Put 20 rounds inside of .9" without trying. Feeds perfect from unmodified ARC mags. So far I've tried 6.5 Staball, RL 16, RL 15.5, H4350, & N555. There was no clear winner, liked them all. At modest speeds the Alpha brass is going to last a long long time & barrel life will be good if I can keep my foot off the gas.

6GT is the Goldilocks of mid capacity .473 based cartridges. Not too small, not too big. Neck up to 25, neck down to 22. Great barrel life and enough capacity to push heavy-for-class.

What is real world normal load not speed demon loads going to provide in barrel life in a 22gt? And what to expect in a 22arc bolt gun. I’m narrowing a 22 build down but I don’t want to be burning barrels up fast. I shoot too much for a caliber like that. 22br life?

What is real world normal load not speed demon loads going to provide in barrel life in a 22gt? And what to expect in a 22arc bolt gun. I’m narrowing a 22 build down but I don’t want to be burning barrels up fast. I shoot too much for a caliber like that. 22br life?
I would be surprised if a 22GT went over 2000rds. I would be happy if it did 1800. I would also doubt a 22BR would be a meaningful improvement on barrel life. Probably better, but probably not by much.

I was goofing around at the loading bench this AM…
In case anyone needs motivation….
IMG_9468.jpeg
IMG_9469.jpeg
IMG_9467.jpeg

Valkyrie is awesome, our Valkyrie bolt gun is a sensational shooter at base pressures. Like the looks of your shooting lane.

How was your accuracy?
It was good with 2 of the 4 powders & decent with 1. Lever & XBR were best & within 3fps of each other. I’ll measure some groups tomorrow. The Lever load has some head room to go higher, but 3175 is pretty damn fast from an 18” & I’m trying not to kill brass. With the XBR I’d consider 3175 max, but it shot very well & brass looked good.
All loaded 2.285 since all my 6.8 mags allow 2.295-2.3”

BTW the Valk is a 7T

Ordered a 20” satern barrel. 1-7 twist. 5r rifling. Rifle length gas. We will see how it goes. Comes with a headspaced bolt to.

Ya. I'm using a +2 in a 22 Grendel. Had to use a JP Variable Mass with all the tungsten buffers to minimize the brass gouging. Don't know why 22 ARC would be different.

I predict a lot of posts on the forums about guns destroying brass when the lower end companies start producing 22 ARC barrels and uppers. Between Hornady brass, .22 bores, and cheaper rifling.

Pretty sure we aren’t even gonna load for this rifle. 16.5” proof carbon, mdt hnt26, mac bros evo II action. Alpha 22arc reamer.

88eldm Factory ammo

IMG_2907.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:42:04.643910.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:42:04.643910.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:41:06.465598.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:41:06.465598.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:39:06.549202.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-23 10:39:06.549202.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 50
6GT is the Goldilocks of mid capacity .473 based cartridges. Not too small, not too big. Neck up to 25, neck down to 22. Great barrel life and enough capacity to push heavy-for-class.
The 250Goldilox is the Goldilocks in the AR15 platform which was created before the 6ARC was released…. It has the ability to push the .257 110gr ELDx/ 110 Sierra Game Changer 2600fps from 20” tube and 90gr- 100gr well over 2850fps… I love when someone works on something that brings more innovation..Thanks for the 22ARC because it brings the REMEDY!
You’ll never see a pro golfer shoot the whole course with one club!!

Attachments

• 61602694613__66007B6A-0CAE-45AD-A6ED-1E11A60E4E49.jpeg
    61602694613__66007B6A-0CAE-45AD-A6ED-1E11A60E4E49.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 250Goldilox.jpeg
    250Goldilox.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 66166094611__01D6692F-E0AB-4396-AA07-5F607090124D.jpeg
    66166094611__01D6692F-E0AB-4396-AA07-5F607090124D.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 55
The failure to thorough with cartridge development has killed cartridges that I enjoy for different reasons. It seems that the industry needs to revisit the interviews that several of the engineers that work on the M-16 project…. I makes me SMH as to why the industry still treats the AR15s with very different cartridges ,that uses very different powders and much larger projectiles as it’s a 5.56NATO….. the Valkyrie works fine with a rifle+2 gas system…. I hope that they figure that out before the.22ARC shares the same fate as the.224Valkyrie

Got the new satern barrel today finally. Looks nice. Works well so far. Dont tear up brass at all for first 20 rounds. Very nice light recoil. Using a jp silent capture spring and a adjustable gas block with a BCA side charge upper.

Reactions: JR1200W3
Got the new satern barrel today finally. Looks nice. Works well so far. Dont tear up brass at all for first 20 rounds. Very nice light recoil. Using a jp silent capture spring and a adjustable gas block with a BCA side charge upper.
What did you shoot? Factory ammo? Speed and bullet?