• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

22" Grendel(.264lbc) range report

Scottmilk9

Custom AR builder
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2004
Arizona
www.sdrifles.com
First let me set the stage:
My .260 bolt gun went down a week before i left for Oklahoma for the OTS match. So i built up a 22 inch grendel and put my 3.2x17 USO on and loaded ammo. Shot a 5 shot group at 500yds and drove 14 hours to OK.

My ammo is 123gr Amax with IMR 8208 powder(28gr) using lapua brass and remington small rifle primer. My velocity is 2515fps.

We shot some real long range targets(for a small framed AR)mostly stuff over 700 and the longest being 1135.

We did a 71 cold bore, which is no problem and some 100yd stuff. I had one of two gas guns there so i had to drop mags while moving, since bolt back and no mag was required, which is no big deal.

We shot in some canyons and mostly UKD stuff, we used laser range finders and helped our buddies until firing started. We had 3 stages like this where we had 10 targets and either 2 or 3 shots to hit the target. Let me tell you, the OK wind over and through canyons is tough.

I hit a few closer targets 500-600 a couple 700-750 targets and i hit one at 920, but my best shot was hitting the 1135 target. I admit there was some luck involved but when i seen the splash on steel i was ecstatic.

All in all if i had some more time behind the grendel i would have placed better, but i had no expectations with a build that was 4 days old and 22 rounds down the tube.

Just another point of interest, target size was no larger than 18x18.

Re: 22" Grendel(.264lbc) range report

damn, not one comment! Any other grendel guys got some distance stories? I know the folks who have grendels are beleivers, trying to make the nay sayers beleivers as well with facts and actual shooting of this cartridge.

I will say, this makes me want to move forward on purchasing one
smile.gif

Sounds like some good shooting as well.

How about a picture of this rifle?

That is a heck of a shot and if you built the rifle I am sure it drives tacks!

Hey Scott,

Have you shot any factory ammo through it? What barrel did you end up using? Any issues or complaints about the rifle/cartridge?

I've been considering Grendel for a bit, but I don't have the time to reload and haven't found any solid info on good factory rounds (5 or 10 shot groups).

i have shot 123 hornady through other grendels of mine and have had great success. I also tried 130gr scirroccos from AA and they wouldn't group worth a darn in my gun.

I use my own barrels, lilja blanks. No issues or complaints, resize brand new brass to your chamber and you will have no issues whatsoever. I also run a JP adjustable gas block so i could control the gas and the ejection pattern.

I've gotten under 3/4 inch with the hornady 123's. I heard good things about others out there, but have no first hand experience yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn, not one comment! Any other grendel guys got some distance stories? I know the folks who have grendels are beleivers, trying to make the nay sayers beleivers as well with facts and actual shooting of this cartridge. </div></div>

I shoot a 22 inch 6.5 Grendel made by JP. I have had a lot of success with the 108gr Lapua Scenar using Ramshot Xterminator out to a 1000 yds. I've been getting 2740 fps with this load.

Nice to see that the lack of velocity isn't holding you back in realistic events. That has been my only concern in going with a 6.5 AR. It will be interesting to see a comparison with your 6WOA. I assume you are going forward with that project???

I'm currently contemplating having a 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved upper built by Whitley. The T40i will drive a 105/108gr bullet to 2900 fps. The T40i would be a superior bet to the WOA IMHO.

There is no doubt though that the Grendel is a phenomenal round given its size.

I'm ordering 10 6woa barrels tomorrow. I know one of the guys who shoots with us in the winter(from flagstaff) shoots or used to shoot the turbo, not sure which one, but he liked it.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the superior statement as the 6 WOA has more case capacity(6.8 vs a 6.5) but I'll definitely compare notes to show all the other people on the fence the difference between the 2 calibers.

One determining factor which has me super interested is the cheap brass with a small rifle primer.

Unfortunately I wasn't on Scott's squad in OK, but I've seen him kick ass with the 264LBC plenty of times. I would have dug seeing the 1135 hit for sure!

Trying to sell a couple things to get him to build me a 6WOA since I now have a 6mm boltgun and will have pills around. The SR primer is attractive, should be able to run higher presures than a LR in the same case capacity....

The Grendel is one of my favorites on the AR frame for guys that want to deer hunt with their AR. I've built a lot of them with worn out high-power and F-Class barrels. Cut 6-8" off the chamber end of a 30" worn out Krieger and after your done it looks like a new barrel through the borescope and shoots just as well. And yes, the guys knew I 'utilized' shot out target barrels since they got a good price break and they shot very well too.