• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 AI with CCI 450 primers?

propulsionclimbing

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2006
Flagstaff. AZ
Anyone use cci 450 primers in the 223 AI or is this primer too hot for the 223? I have quite a few on hand, but am running low on cci 400 and fed 205. Since the 450's are hotter, would I need to load down on the powder charge? Thanks in advance. Just trying to make due with what I've got and still keep the 223 AI up and running. By the way, this is in a bolt gun.

Re: 223 AI with CCI 450 primers?

I would definitely try it. Any signs of pressure in the first couple just back off a little. I have substituted magnum primers in place of standard with no complications.

Eddie

Thanks a lot. I just loaded up a few and am going to give them a try. I backed off a couple grains on the powder charge. I hope they work. I'm almost out of regular small rifle primers.

i have personally shot, rem, rem benchrest, cci small rifle, cci small rifle magnum, winchester small rifle,federal small rifle and federal small rifle mag in my 223ai

all go bang when i pull the trigger and no pressure signs, i am running what i call a mild load in mine though, 3060fps w/75g a=max but it works all year down here in florida and it get hot and humid

oh yeah, shot them all one day, 5 shot groups at 100yds with all the different primers, the differences were minimal and now i just shoot what i can find

I use to run CCI 400's. Well with primers no where to be found, I had 4k of the 450's on hand. I made the switch.

I ran my same load and they avg 20-30fps more.

This is encouraging. My .223AI should have its barrel soon, and I have everything I need to start loading but SR primers. I have about 500 CCI450s left over from an old project, so I'd love to be able to use them.

I mainly started using them because I use H335 and most reloading manuals call for a magnum primer with it. I have probably shot 1500 rounds with the 450's and H335 without any issue.