• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie

I'm using the 88 eldm's. I will say I dont have the hornady 224v case to measure the chamber. I just resized the case and inserted a bullet to 2.25. with no primer in, I just use a homemade "pusher" and go till I feel it kiss the lands.

I figure ill start at 2.30 and that would be a good start and be right around .025-.030 of a jump. If hornady comes out with a modified case maybe I'll try it and see if my chamber is other than want I got (for all I know it could be 2.35+)
They do. Here's the link

Reactions: Mtracey
These are my two main powders now and unless we (collectively) find another powder that is the equivalent to the 6.5CM/42gr H4350/140 ELD or the 556/25GR Varget/69SMK like load, I'll keep working to find an 88/90gr combo that is consistent across multiple barrels.

Have you tried varget or imr 4166? Those are the closest burn rate to cfe 223 that are supposed to be "extreme" powders and very temp insensitive. Not sure if density/volume would be right for valkyrie though.

Have you tried varget or imr 4166? Those are the closest burn rate to cfe 223 that are supposed to be "extreme" powders and very temp insensitive. Not sure if density/volume would be right for valkyrie though.
Have tried Varget briefly but didn't get very far. Might try again to see if it works better but have been busy loading for match season. I'll tinker with 224v later this month or next. I think over hit my load though with h4350, low SD, good velocity and precise enough for my purposes (.5-.8").

Have tried Varget briefly but didn't get very far. Might try again to see if it works better but have been busy loading for match season. I'll tinker with 224v later this month or next. I think over hit my load though with h4350, low SD, good velocity and precise enough for my purposes (.5-.8").

You're shooting longer barrels, right? I've got an 18" so I'm afraid 4350 will be too slow. I'll finally have time to start load development soon, so I'll see what happens.

You're shooting longer barrels, right? I've got an 18" so I'm afraid 4350 will be too slow. I'll finally have time to start load development soon, so I'll see what happens.
Yes I'm running a 26". H4350 will likely be too slow; precise and low SD but a bit slow. Varget and other slightly faster powders would almost certainly do better for efficiency in terms of complete powder burn.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
Did a cold weather test with my usual load. 4°... real feel -16. Ammo sat out for about 30min if that really does anything, they sure felt cold as ice cubes. Winds were horrible so just rang out 4.
73 eld
29.2gr powerpro2000mr
Cci450
18" rc 7tw

According to notes, fps is same as initial load testing, sd here is a little bit better but I shot a 2 more rounds the first time around, notes show 6 rds at an sd of 9 fwiw.

Avg fps is down by about 40fps according to the F1 I used after the rifle had about 500ds or so thru it at 3022fps avg. Notes show all calibers chronyed that day had an increase of 40-50fps so it may have been the F1 playing games...it finally broke a few weeks ago. That sucks because I was looking for something definitive.

Thats all I got.

Got my Hornady O.A.L. case today. I did 10 tries to see what #s I got. Highest was 2.341 ( first try and bullet got stuck in barrel). I threw that # out. That being said 7 times I got 2.325, 2 times I got 2.321, and 1 time I got 2.323.

So it looks like the LaRue 20" stealth is at 2.325".

I'm going to load up some 80 and 88 elds today. After looking over all the data ive found for these rounds, it seems there is more info out there for the 80s.

For the 88s Im going to load 5 rounds with varget. Going to see how it does at 23.4, 23.6 and 23.8grs go. Going to seat them a 2.260, 2.2.80 and 2.30 (0.020, 0.040 and 0.060 off lands).

I also figure I'll try the last of the r15 I have and just do a small test at 2.260 at 23.0, 23.3 and 23.6gr.s

I've debated trying H4895 on the 88s but it seems the workups are almost a 2 stage. Go from 23.0-24.0grs to make sure there is no pressure signs. Then a other group from 24.0-25.0 in .2gr increments and see what groups you get b4 pressure signs show up...hoping you can get to around 2800 fps.

Finally got the 224V out of the closet after a busy month and was able to confirm a good load with H4350 at 100yds, 400yds and with multiple shooters. I think this will be my go to for the next 1000rnds or so until I need to switch bullet lots.

26.8gr H4350 2.300" OAL
88 ELDM @ 2750fps

Had my buddy shoot this one:

And I shot this at 400 (4 shots):

Along with this one (5 shots) at 400:

Next trip is to the 1k range for long range confirmation.

I have a custom reamer being made to shoot 88 ELD for max case capacity out if a 26" bolt gun. COAL will be 2.42

Will be interesting to do load development with this one.

Nice! Interesting project.

I can’t really do that with my AR, but am interested in seeing your results.

I have a custom reamer being made to shoot 88 ELD for max case capacity out if a 26" bolt gun. COAL will be 2.42

Will be interesting to do load development with this one.

Dom, are you having Keystone spin that barrel? I've been super pumped to build a bolty for this specific bullet using a custom reamer.

I may hit you up to have a second barrel spun up. Send me a PM on details of reamer if you can. I'm super curious about this one.

Nice! Interesting project.

I can’t really do that with my AR, but am interested in seeing your results.

Yea I'm really interested to see what 224V can do when mag length isnt holding it back. Testing some new MDT prototype mags to feed 224V with an internal max COAL of 2.56

Finally got the 224V out of the closet after a busy month and was able to confirm a good load with H4350 at 100yds, 400yds and with multiple shooters. I think this will be my go to for the next 1000rnds or so until I need to switch bullet lots.

26.8gr H4350 2.300" OAL
88 ELDM @ 2750fps

Had my buddy shoot this one:
View attachment 7040470

And I shot this at 400 (4 shots):
View attachment 7040472

Along with this one (5 shots) at 400:
View attachment 7040474

Next trip is to the 1k range for long range confirmation.

Is this out of an AR? It would be nice to know that there’s a decent load using 88s and H4350, since I have both. I haven’t had time to work on a load of my own for it yet but am collecting good data points from others.

Yes but designed from the ground up. AICS metal mags 13rd

Hello, I'm completely new to this thread, just getting started in reloading and 224 Valkyrie in general. Been struggling to find a purpose-built mag for 224 rather than 6.8 or some other conversion from a 223 one. Do you have any more information on the 13 rounder you mentioned here? Thanks!

Hello, I'm completely new to this thread, just getting started in reloading and 224 Valkyrie in general. Been struggling to find a purpose-built mag for 224 rather than 6.8 or some other conversion from a 223 one. Do you have any more information on the 13 rounder you mentioned here? Thanks!

Im testing a prototype from MDT. It will be available in a month or two they are saying. Still making some tweaks.

AR15 build or bolt gun?

Im testing a prototype from MDT. It will be available in a month or two they are saying. Still making some tweaks.

I called MDT the other day and was asking about the prototype that you speak of, and Anthony is saying it’s for the 6br. Not a designated .224 mag. Do you have some other information?

If your using an AR platform the ARStoner mags from midway work great. So do the PRI and other 68 mags.

Reactions: Subwrx300
Bolt from MPA. Loving it so far. Kinda dove into the deep end for my first centerfire. Only experience with 22LR up until now.
Cool! Then yes, waiting for the MDTs might be best option.

On side note, how does your MPA shoot consistently? I've been very close to purchasing one but haven't seen any unbiased data on groups and consistentcy at distance. Anything you can post?

Anything you can post?

I've only got 60 rounds through it total, that's all they had on the shelf. Still breaking it in. Got some Hornady 88 gr ELDM on the way. I'll be sure to get something posted once I've got it settled. I'm limited to 200 yards at my club until I pass a qualification, then I can get groups out to 1200 yards.

What do you all think.....been trying all kinds of things to get consistency and have not had much luck. Tried this to see what the results would be, the really good es/sd don’t have the greatest groups. What load(s) would you go with to try and verify? All federal brass has the same work done to it.....primer pockets uniformed/deburred, neck turned, neck chamfered in and out, been annealing every firing....I have Starline brass ordered but is on back order. 7045962

If you don’t have pressure signs might try 25.1 and 25.2 to see if the groups tighten up. I will be playing with 80 eld-m’s and H4895 shortly. Found my node from 25.1 to 25.3. Now to try 0.035” jump and 0.045” jump to see if the groups tighten. All three of these five shot groups were were about 1moa.

Virgin starline, H4895, GM205MAR, HbN coated 80eld-m @ 1.764” CBTO 0.040” jump, 18 clicks for lock back
25.1-2944, sd3
25.2-2933, sd9
25.3-2945, sd7

The sweet spot for 80 eld-m’s jump is supposed to be from 0.035-0.045” but I’ve heard 0.020-0.040” is good as well. I will fine tune this load after I tinker with my 95smk load.

What do you all think.....been trying all kinds of things to get consistency and have not had much luck. Tried this to see what the results would be, the really good es/sd don’t have the greatest groups. What load(s) would you go with to try and verify? All federal brass has the same work done to it.....primer pockets uniformed/deburred, neck turned, neck chamfered in and out, been annealing every firing....I have Starline brass ordered but is on back order. View attachment 7045962
The .001 neck tension has consistently better groups and I'd say the 1.775 and 1.765 seating depths are pretty close (same elevation and general shape) to each other in terms of size and shape. I'd go with 1.775 and it will give you .010" of throat erosion before needing to start bumping out length. Average SD for those groups isn't bad but it's a small sample, so I'd load 40-50 and try them out at distance to see how they perform.

If you don’t have pressure signs might try 25.1 and 25.2 to see if the groups tighten up. I will be playing with 80 eld-m’s and H4895 shortly. Found my node from 25.1 to 25.3. Now to try 0.035” jump and 0.045” jump to see if the groups tighten. All three of these five shot groups were were about 1moa.

Virgin starline, H4895, GM205MAR, HbN coated 80eld-m @ 1.764” CBTO 0.040” jump, 18 clicks for lock back
25.1-2944, sd3
25.2-2933, sd9
25.3-2945, sd7

The sweet spot for 80 eld-m’s jump is supposed to be from 0.035-0.045” but I’ve heard 0.020-0.040” is good as well. I will fine tune this load after I tinker with my 95smk load.
25g of h4895 was a good node.....started to compress the charge at more than that and I’m just not sure on how much one can compress a charge or if it’s a good thing or not....was told to try and not compress charges but that maybe bad information.

The .001 neck tension has consistently better groups and I'd say the 1.775 and 1.765 seating depths are pretty close (same elevation and general shape) to each other in terms of size and shape. I'd go with 1.775 and it will give you .010" of throat erosion before needing to start bumping out length. Average SD for those groups isn't bad but it's a small sample, so I'd load 40-50 and try them out at distance to see how they perform.
Ok.....will get some loaded and go from there and try some distance shooting. 1.775 is right at the lands. Would like to get more velocity out of it also, feels like I’m chasing my tail lol.

25 grns of 4895 under the 80 eld was the sweet spot for me too.

But my gun shoots the 85grn RDF's better than the 80's so I think I'm going to order up a 5 pack of those

Reactions: RFutch
@IHFarmer07 I'm shooting 88s at 2730ish... 80s at 2900+ is pretty good. I wouldn't chase anymore; try shooting at longer range and see how it shakes out. If you aren't happy, you can always tinker a bit more.

I should add that I found a node with 80s closer to 2950-3000 but it was warm to say the least. I wouldn't shoot it in the summer months

Most consistent velocities we're 2830-2850 (best) and 2900-2930 (second best).

Last edited:
@IHFarmer07 I'm shooting 88s at 2730ish... 80s at 2900+ is pretty good. I wouldn't chase anymore; try shooting at longer range and see how it shakes out. If you aren't happy, you can always tinker a bit more.
Ya I found my charge weight in the FPS I want but I’m piddling with seating depth and primers to get it refined more but I think the cci450’s are where it is.....tried br-4’s and wasn’t impressed and cci41’s was like the cci450’s but more velocity with the 41’s.

Last edited:
Ya I found my charge weight in the FPS I want but I’m piddling with seating depth and primers to get it refined more but I think the cci450’s are where it is.....tried br-4’s and wasn’t impressed and cci41’s was like the cci450’s but more velocity with the 41’s.
I found seating depth tests to be a bit fickle also. The best depths weren't super obvious (either a flyer turning great group mediocre or a decent group but not stellar).

I ended up ignoring the "flyers" and that has proven to be a solid choice. If you shoot 4 or 5 shot groups at .010 increments from as long as you can down to 2.250 OAL, a specific band should pop out. I was looking for a cluster of 4 out of 5 tight shots on back to back groups. That gave me the window to load within. I usually choose the longer length to accommodate throat wear.

I found seating depth tests to be a bit fickle also. The best depths weren't super obvious (either a flyer turning great group mediocre or a decent group but not stellar).

I ended up ignoring the "flyers" and that has proven to be a solid choice. If you shoot 4 or 5 shot groups at .010 increments from as long as you can down to 2.250 OAL, a specific band should pop out. I was looking for a cluster of 4 out of 5 tight shots on back to back groups. That gave me the window to load within. I usually choose the longer length to accommodate throat wear.
Ah ya I’m new to reloading and this has been an interesting trip lol.....most everyone says the 80’s are a .035” plus seating depth away from the lands is where it is.....I’ll test at the lands and .035”+.

Needed to post this here as a service to any 224 Valk gas gun shooters using the 88ELDM : polish your seating stem to fit the bullet EXACTLY so it doesn't leave any rings on bullet nose...here's why.

Same charge, same bullets, same brass, same powder, same OAL and Ogive when seated... Two different seating stems: one polished with Valve grinding compound and lapped smooth. The other is new straight out of the box, unmodified.

This is a compressed load to maximize the effect of hard seating.

Shot at 388yds with a round robin, mixed pattern (no two bullets of same type shot back to back) to spread barrel heat over all groups:

Last edited:
Reactions: IHFarmer07
So what's the best way to do this?
I've done it a few different ways but the one that seems to work the best requires 5-10 sacrificial bullets, 300grit sandpaper, valve grinding compound, steelwool and JB Bore paste or Flitz and a drill with low/no wobble or run-out in head.

Remove seating stem from die. I use sticky backed 300grit sandpaper and form it around bullet tip with no overlap. Then chuck the bullet in a drill and spin into seating stem. Repeat until it's roughly shape of bullet and stem has uniform sanding marks.

Then switch to valve compound smeared on bullet; repeat process. Clean thoroughly after with qtips and brake cleaner to remove abrasive.

As bullet gets used, keep switch to new one to retain proper shape.

Then switch to steel wool in mouth of seating stem and spin bullet again (slowly, especially if it's an aluminum stem). Clean thoroughly after.

Then finally switch to JB or Flitz on a QTip until shiny smooth.

Last, check stem by seating bullet; if you have any marks, keep using JB or Flitz until no more marks.

Probably better ways to do it but I had most of that stuff on hand. Takes 15-25 mins to complete.

Is anyone running 8208 with the 80s or 88s? I realized some migrated to slower powders for the heavies, but I’m looking at the Valkyrie as a trainer barrel and want to throw and go for quick loading. I like H4895 too and it throws OK.

Thanks!

Is anyone running 8208 with the 80s or 88s? I realized some migrated to slower powders for the heavies, but I’m looking at the Valkyrie as a trainer barrel and want to throw and go for quick loading. I like H4895 too and it throws OK.

Thanks!

Yes they had......from my understanding on the FB group, they have used it but if you push the 80’s hard like you would with H4895 the chamber pressure is higher with xbr8208 according to someone there that has quick load and run it through that program.

Yes they had......from my understanding on the FB group, they have used it but if you push the 80’s hard like you would with H4895 the chamber pressure is higher with xbr8208 according to someone there that has quick load and run it through that program.

OK thanks. Do you know if they verified that with shooting? Quickload is great, just not the end all be all.

OK thanks. Do you know if they verified that with shooting? Quickload is great, just not the end all be all.
Not real sure.....I think they just went off what quickload had predicted......sounded like they was at 25.3grains with it.....please don’t hurt yourself with it(I’m sure you won’t) but that’s kind of what I had found....they never specified if they was blowing primers or why they had this conclusion on 8208.

Well had a looooong work week and finally had time to shoot some loads that was suggested to keep trying on and it payed out!!!! I loaded 15rds of 25g of H4895 cci450 .001NT at 1.775bto, 15rds of 25g H4895 cci450 .001NT at 1.765bto, 20rds of 25g H4895 cci450 .002NT at 1.740.....0.035” off( I know was supposed to load more but I ran out of primers)
A6190897-CC58-41FB-AFD9-D7AB1CCF9215.pngCF9C1273-FAC7-42A8-A788-FDD83AA267F3.png9BC1BB1C-F41A-4970-A1DC-70E6C2A877E9.png3A8105C2-08E0-47AE-88C7-5EF734A8AEF9.png

NOTICE: I had my head up my ass and measuremented the plate wrong on the app.....I up dated the the groups

Now for the pay off!!! Got time to set up a 12”x12” plate at 600yrds. Very nice day, had a 3-4mph 3:00wind, wind really didn’t affect it too much really.

0501EE29-75E2-4B2E-8FD8-90F72B7DBE5F.jpeg
I missed the first shot, adjusted and bingo!!! Top and the below was the 25g H4895 .001NT 1.775bto cci450

CF650DA6-F28D-449A-ACE3-5D02B46829A3.jpeg
This is the 25g H4895 .001NT 1.765bto cci450!!! I was pretty pumped and I’m not sure what happened to the 5th shot, maybe me maybe mirage....not sure but still fucking awesome!!

117821C7-5DE7-4793-89DD-E3FFCAC88511.jpeg
CF0B2BE2-4E58-401B-A40C-901009D0CC2F.jpeg
25g H4895 .002NT 1.740. First shot miss and connected with the next 9....buy now I’m surprised I hit the plate!! Not sure if it was me or if that’s how it actually grouped.
This was almost too easy!!
Remage bolt gun, criterion 1-6.5” twist 24” lt varmint contour, pillar bedded and detachable magazine done by me, ss12x42, 20moa seekins rail.

BIG shout out to who all helped me accomplish this!!!! Subwrx300 you were the most helpful.....thank you kindly!!!

Attachments

• 1553531255167.png
    1553531255167.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Reactions: Subwrx300