• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie

I wish they would relaunch the Valkyrie from Federal with a new bullet and just call it Valk 2.0

The misfire during the initial launch broke the idea this is a viable cartridge, and it is, just needs people who shoot to actually help out.

If Federal relaunched the caliber with a 77gr bullet this thing would work, then they need to get with Berger and do the 85.5gr along with the Hornady 88gr, and you have a nice little round.

I still enjoy shooting it

The weak point of the 224 Valk is that it is designed to fit in an AR 15 mag. For an AR that's a compromise you simply must live with, but for a bolt gun a 90 grainer seated out farther would significantly improve the velocity without increasing chamber pressures, It would also place the base of the bearing surface ahead of the neck to shoulder junction and allow the free bore to align the bearing surface into the rifling.

It needs at least 0.190" free bore, then it would be an interesting cartridge for a bolt gun.

Every great load I've had was in the 23-23.5gr range with h4895. I've got a 26" barrel that just loves to run slow. 2750 is super mild, easy on brass and the loads are all sub 1/4" and thats with both the 88gr eld and 80.5gr berger. I've seen some promise with h4350 and varget but I didnt explore it all that far.

Kinda want to see what the 95gr smk and maybe some solids would do. But in all reality I'll probably just keep my 88gr load. Depending on primer it's 23.1-23.4gr of h4895 at .060" off.
The 88 is a super forgiving projectile for sure. I think if you want the most out of the Valk you need to drop down to the 80-85grn range. Having said that…I just loaded 400 88’s for my rifles!

I would also like to see those hunting rounds from Mid South to see how the accuracy is

Reactions: TNSleeper99
I would also like to see those hunting rounds from Mid South to see how the accuracy is
Used to be able to get them everywhere. They are a 60gn Varmint round. I had great accuracy with them out of my 1:7 22” Craddock barrel. They are available on several websites right now. I think my local sportsmans even has some.

Everything I have seen and tested points toward the 80-85gr bullets preforming better BUT they usually land outside the safe pressure of the Valk and usually cause the primer pockets to loosen. The next accuracy node is always just out of reach unless some magical brass manufacture steps up, the 80gr is not a long term solution.

Used to be able to get them everywhere. They are a 60gn Varmint round. I had great accuracy with them out of my 1:7 22” Craddock barrel. They are available on several websites right now. I think my local sportsmans even has some.
I had 10 boxes in my cart, then got distracted by a call from my daughter. Got back and it would only let me order, so updated the cart. Another brief distraction and I was able to complete the transaction for 3 boxes, lol.

Anyway, I’ll try them out and if my 22” Craddock barrel also likes them, the 60gr projectiles seem to be readily available for loading purposes. I should have some powder that they’ll like. Maybe varget or c223.

Everything I have seen and tested points toward the 80-85gr bullets preforming better BUT they usually land outside the safe pressure of the Valk and usually cause the primer pockets to loosen. The next accuracy node is always just out of reach unless some magical brass manufacture steps up, the 80gr is not a long term solution.
You may be right. For now, I’m happy with the performance of the 88’s at 2815fps. Hopefully I’ll catch some starline brass in stock and start from fresh brass at this speed and see how my primer pockets do. If you all see any starline, shoot me a message.

Reactions: lash
My current load is:
25.5G H4895
Cci450
Neck turned Starline brass
80eldm’s seated at 1.710”bto
It’s around 3,000fps, not really sure the exact FPS, probably closer to 3,080 or so

Lol I haven’t updated my kestrel or StrelokPro. Ooops, that would explain things lol

Also, this starline brass is virgin, after that’s fireformed I’ll refine the load. Had around 350-400pcs to shoot through, taking awhile to go through it, don’t have many left…..25-30 to fireform.

Last edited:
My current load is:
25.5G H4895
Cci450
Neck turned Starline brass
80eldm’s seated at 1.710”bto
It’s around 3,000fps, not really sure the exact FPS, probably closer to 3,080 or so

Lol I haven’t updated my kestrel or StrelokPro. Ooops, that would explain things lol

Also, this starline brass is virgin, after that’s fireformed I’ll refine the load. Had around 350-400pcs to shoot through, taking awhile to go through it, don’t have many left…..25-30 to fireform.
I’m loading 24.1 of H4895 in federal brass with GM205 primers with the 88’s and having really good results but my brass is about done. For what it’s worth, if you’re going to shoot Hornady bullets, I’ve found the free 4DOF calculator to be more accurate vs real world dope.

Also I have a huge box of once fired Hornady brass that has crimped primer pockets. Any of you guys have a good solution for dealing with this. I’ve tried the RCBS tool for my Rock Chucker and found that it takes a lot of force and then the nipple gets stuck into the pocket and I have to slam the handle to back it out. I’d like to utilize this pile of brass if there was a solution that was more cost effective than just buying new brass.

Reactions: Jackomason
Also I have a huge box of once fired Hornady brass that has crimped primer pockets. Any of you guys have a good solution for dealing with this. I’ve tried the RCBS tool for my Rock Chucker and found that it takes a lot of force and then the nipple gets stuck into the pocket and I have to slam the handle to back it out. I’d like to utilize this pile of brass if there was a solution that was more cost effective than just buying new brass.
I've got a cabelas chamfera/deburring tool that I use on my 5.56 brass. Works fine chucked up in a drill.

Reactions: binazone
You use this to take the crimp out of primer pockets?
Yup. I don't hit it hard. And its for plinking so I'm not too worried. I can't see how it'd hurt "match" ammo.

This one was hit on the heavy side.
20220107_073801.jpg

20220107_073900.jpg

The poors will always find a way!
Worked like a charm bud! 🍻 I’ll have to drop back a bit on my charge and work back up. Not sure the difference in case capacity for Hornady vs. Federal….but you just got me another several hundred pieces of once fired brass!

Just use an actual crimp remover in a drill. Using a chamfering tool…yikes lol

Every great load I've had was in the 23-23.5gr range with h4895. I've got a 26" barrel that just loves to run slow. 2750 is super mild, easy on brass and the loads are all sub 1/4" and thats with both the 88gr eld and 80.5gr berger. I've seen some promise with h4350 and varget but I didnt explore it all that far.

Kinda want to see what the 95gr smk and maybe some solids would do. But in all reality I'll probably just keep my 88gr load. Depending on primer it's 23.1-23.4gr of h4895 at .060" off.

Shooting an 80gr that slow didn’t make Valk worth it for me.

My 77gr SMK/TMKs are averaging in the mid to high 2700s already so I wanted the speed :cool:

Just use an actual crimp remover in a drill. Using a chamfering tool…yikes lol

Shooting an 80gr that slow didn’t make Valk worth it for me.

My 77gr SMK/TMKs are averaging in the mid to high 2700s already so I wanted the speed :cool:
Thanks.

I had 10 boxes in my cart, then got distracted by a call from my daughter. Got back and it would only let me order, so updated the cart. Another brief distraction and I was able to complete the transaction for 3 boxes, lol.

Anyway, I’ll try them out and if my 22” Craddock barrel also likes them, the 60gr projectiles seem to be readily available for loading purposes. I should have some powder that they’ll like. Maybe varget or c223.
Worked up a load for a PD hunt that didn't happen, 27.0gr of XBR behind a 55gr Nosler BT, 3450fps. 24" Craddock barrel.

Worked up a load for a PD hunt that didn't happen, 27.0gr of XBR behind a 55gr Nosler BT, 3450fps. 24" Craddock barrel.
Thanks. Strangely enough just as I was reading this reply, I received a notice from MidSouth that those three boxes I ordered somehow got sold out from under me. You bastards!! 😡😡😁😉

I guess that my choice now is to get some XBR and load some up myself.

Reactions: Diverhunter
I'm shooting Berger 80.5 full bores under 25.7 grains of RL15 in my AR and the accuracy capability is very promising. A few groups < .5" at 100 yards. The barrel is a Rainer Arms 24" Ultra match with a 1:7.6" twist. I tried sierra 95 grain smk's but they would not stabilize. I have some 85 RDF's to try and also some 90 smk's to add to the list to see where my cutoff is for the heavyweights with my barrel.

I'm shooting Berger 80.5 full bores under 25.7 grains of RL15 in my AR and the accuracy capability is very promising. A few groups < .5" at 100 yards. The barrel is a Rainer Arms 24" Ultra match with a 1:7.6" twist. I tried sierra 95 grain smk's but they would not stabilize. I have some 85 RDF's to try and also some 90 smk's to add to the list to see where my cutoff is for the heavyweights with my barrel.

I’d love to try some 80.5’s but finding any is like mining for bitcoin!

Nosler 85 RDF just came back in stock so I have a few boxes of them inbound that should be here today.

Anyone try staball 6.5 in a gas gun yet? I picked Up 8 lbs and plan on trying it with 88gr elds. Hogdon show good velocity with 90s and it’s supposed to be more temp stable than cfe223 which is what I’m using now.

Anyone try staball 6.5 in a gas gun yet? I picked Up 8 lbs and plan on trying it with 88gr elds. Hogdon show good velocity with 90s and it’s supposed to be more temp stable than cfe223 which is what I’m using now.
I tried it and just couldn’t get the velocities I wanted, and poor ES/SD compared to h4895. I know powder is hard to come by right now, back when I was using cfe223 I did a “warm wether load” and a “cold weather load”. I had good results with that, even if it was a bit of a hassle.

Reactions: steve101610
I have had reasonably good results with it, but you will be compressed so loading long will help. It is not super temp stable, but it is better than a typical ball powder. It is fine for mid range plinking, but extruded powders will be best for ultimate accuracy and consistency at range.

Reactions: steve101610
I tried it and just couldn’t get the velocities I wanted, and poor ES/SD compared to h4895. I know powder is hard to come by right now, back when I was using cfe223 I did a “warm wether load” and a “cold weather load”. I had good results with that, even if it was a bit of a hassle.
I have Over 16 lbs of cfe223 and have developed a very accurate load for winter hunting coyotes. I was just curious about staball because of the higher velocity and more temp stability.

I have Over 16 lbs of cfe223 and have developed a very accurate load for winter hunting coyotes. I was just curious about staball because of the higher velocity and more temp stability.
Since you have a winter load using cfe223 I’d make a summer load with the StaBall. Like any ball powder everything I’ve seen has shown it likes the upper limit of pressure and with 88’s you should be able to find a load but probably be compressed. You might want a drop tube or an electric toothbrush to settle the powder before seating. Let us know your findings.

ya I know....I should've went .2 but I wanted more precise data.
I do it in 3 increments,There is .Not alot of difference in 1's and barely a notice in 2's, but in an increment of 3 it shows better,..Good Luck.

The weak point of the 224 Valk is that it is designed to fit in an AR 15 mag. For an AR that's a compromise you simply must live with, but for a bolt gun a 90 grainer seated out farther would significantly improve the velocity without increasing chamber pressures, It would also place the base of the bearing surface ahead of the neck to shoulder junction and allow the free bore to align the bearing surface into the rifling.

It needs at least 0.190" free bore, then it would be an interesting cartridge for a bolt gun.

I love it in my bolt gun. IIRC COAL is 2.340" and 2860 fps (again, going off memory) 85.5gr Bergers with AR Comp powder. Will hold half moa out to 700 yd. Far as I've shot it so far.

Frankly, while I still like it and think that it’s a great cartridge to start those that are recoil sensitive on, I’ve self catorigized it as a 700 yard cartridge in my AR. I realize that some are able to make it sing much farther, but that’s where I think it shines. At 500-600 it’s a laser.

Last edited:
I’ve done fine with my AR out to 800. It’s tough out to 1,000 or so. 850 at Pig River was it was good and I it’s got a small round hand guard so it’s much harder to shoot off a a bag and the props due to the handguard.

If it was a flat bottom it would be easier but who wants easy.

Don’t get me wrong. The round works at 800, but from a surety standpoint, for me, 700 is good. I’m saying that I would take Pdog shots at 700 and be confident in doing so.

Oh, and I did use a flat bottom 15” rail. On purpose.

I was simply not wanting to modify the White Oak set up. What handguard are you using?

Seekins SPR3 mlok. Very nice for a precision setup. Not as good as a handheld CQB rifle, but I think that most using 20-24” barrels are not planning for that purpose. I built mine (okay, technically assembled) using parts chosen for being heavy and precision oriented. It was meant to be a barricade/belly gun and works great for that purpose.

Reactions: TACC
I love it in my bolt gun. IIRC COAL is 2.340" and 2860 fps (again, going off memory) 85.5gr Bergers with AR Comp powder. Will hold half moa out to 700 yd. Far as I've shot it so far.
That's pretty good performance, but you can stretch your legs a little more if you want. That 85.5 has a G1 of 0.524 on the Berger web site, but with the 90 A tips you can get up to 0.585... With a longer throat you could easily push the 90s faster than you are driving the 85.5s.

Additionally with a longer throat, you can leverage the freebore (as long as its nice and tight) to align the bullet to the rifling instead of the neck like you are currently doing. Then accuracy will really improve.

The 90 atips will basically improve ballistic performance by 60 yards at 500 yards and by 120 yards at a thousand if you run them at the same speed. It would be a little better if you drive the 90s a little faster.

That's pretty good performance, but you can stretch your legs a little more if you want. That 85.5 has a G1 of 0.524 on the Berger web site, but with the 90 A tips you can get up to 0.585... With a longer throat you could easily push the 90s faster than you are driving the 85.5s.

Additionally with a longer throat, you can leverage the freebore (as long as its nice and tight) to align the bullet to the rifling instead of the neck like you are currently doing. Then accuracy will really improve.

The 90 atips will basically improve ballistic performance by 60 yards at 500 yards and by 120 yards at a thousand if you run them at the same speed. It would be a little better if you drive the 90s a little faster.
Maybe. But I've tried Hornady and always been left disappointed. Berger never has.

I do need to reach out to 1,000. But that's enuf for me.

Maybe. But I've tried Hornady and always been left disappointed. Berger never has.

You might give the 80 eldm’s a try. If you can get them close to 3000fps they will outperform everything out there to a 1000. They have a surprisingly high G7 BC of 0.258 and I run them in my 24” ar at 2925. They are jump sensitive though. They will need 0.035”-0.045” of jump to be in their zone. They are a very similar profile to the 85.5 Berger’s which my ar likes at 2779 and 0.035” jump.

You might give the 80 eldm’s a try. If you can get them close to 3000fps they will outperform everything out there to a 1000. They have a surprisingly high G7 BC of 0.258 and I run them in my 24” ar at 2925. They are jump sensitive though. They will need 0.035”-0.045” of jump to be in their zone. They are a very similar profile to the 85.5 Berger’s which my ar likes at 2779 and 0.035” jump.

I have. I've also tried the Berger 80.5s and got them well over 3000 fps. And 0.35-0.45 moa. I've never found Hornady to work well as Berger. I've tried, but ....no. In 308, 6.5CM, 223, 224V 338 Norma, etc. Now Hornady's 9mm pistol bullets are decent.

Last edited:

In my testing I've found the really high BC projectiles only shoot well if they reliably enter into the rifling perfectly straight. That's either hard to do or impossible with a short freebore and no turn necks.

We really need a long tight freebore and ideally also a tight neck.

To get a tight freebore is more difficult than one might assume as the reamer makers will fight you on it in principle, but additionally on tolerancing.

Given the difficulty getting the right diameter freebore, our last line of defense is tight turned necks. At least tight necks put you in control over what diametrical clearances are used to center up the axis of the bullet.

Using 90 atips in my 223, and with 0.004 clearance on the necks, group sizes at 100 yards were between 1/2 and 5/8", but when I reduced the neck diameter clearances to less than 0.001", I shot 100 yard groups around 0.150". This particular barrel does not have a tight freebore, but I have a new barrel blank, body reamer and a couple throating reamers that I expect will allow me to spin up nice and tight. My instincts tell me the new chamber with a minimal freebore diameter will not require necks to be so tight, but I will have the option if I feel its needed.

In my testing I've found the really high BC projectiles only shoot well if they reliably enter into the rifling perfectly straight. That's either hard to do or impossible with a short freebore and no turn necks.

We really need a long tight freebore and ideally also a tight neck.

To get a tight freebore is more difficult than one might assume as the reamer makers will fight you on it in principle, but additionally on tolerancing.

Given the difficulty getting the right diameter freebore, our last line of defense is tight turned necks. At least tight necks put you in control over what diametrical clearances are used to center up the axis of the bullet.

Using 90 atips in my 223, and with 0.004 clearance on the necks, group sizes at 100 yards were between 1/2 and 5/8", but when I reduced the neck diameter clearances to less than 0.001", I shot 100 yard groups around 0.150". This particular barrel does not have a tight freebore, but I have a new barrel blank, body reamer and a couple throating reamers that I expect will allow me to spin up nice and tight. My instincts tell me the new chamber with a minimal freebore diameter will not require necks to be so tight, but I will have the option if I feel its needed.

I get 0.35 - 0.45" 100 yards groups using either 80.5 or 85.5 Bergers, and a LE WIlson chamber type seater. With run-of the mill sizer dies (RCBS, etc) Gives me under 0.001 concentricity. All off an Atlas bipod and rear bag. I'm good with that. All without annealing, or mandrel / bushing sizing. I may play with my sizing die, and start annealing, but not really interested in turning necks or chasing freebore. That's just me. I don't get paid / make money for shooting tiny groups. :)

Last edited:
I get 0.35 - 0.45" 100 yards groups using either 80.5 or 85.5 Bergers, and a LE WIlson chamber type seater. With run-of the mill sizer dies (RCBS, etc) Gives me under 0.001 concentricity. All off an Atlas bipod and rear bag. I'm good with that. All without annealing, or mandrel / bushing sizing. I may play with my sizing die, and start annealing, but not really interested in turning necks or chasing freebore. That's just me. I don't get paid / make money for shooting tiny groups. :)
Understood, You're right we don't get paid for this stuff, but for me accuracy has become a point of frustration. I've had rifles that shoot like the devil and others that despite our best efforts at the time just disappoint.

I initially thought it was an occasional hummer barrel, but I have since changed my opinion. I did a bunch of chamber casts on barrels I have around, and studied the results. I simply found elements of the chamber dimensions in the neck and throat made more of a difference than anything else.

Guys will claim a 22BR is more accurate than a 223 and that is simply not true. What is true is that most 223 neck and throats are not designed like a 22BR. There may be some velocity spread differences, sure, but the raw accuracy does not come from any unique characteristics of the BR powder charge. Accuracy is born in the neck and throat. If the neck and throat of a 22BR is in front of a 223 case, you will get 22 BR accuracy. (Velocity spreads aside)

So my next barrel is going to be spun up as soon as the weather breaks and I'm optimistic about the results. After all these years of transitioning through inconsistent chambers, it will be nice to establish a repeatable approach that will create a winning chamber every time.

Unfortunately it's taken a lifetime to figure this out for myself and I hope the range restrictions in this tyrannical country are lifted in time for me to put it to use before I'm too old to participate.

Reactions: GetReal
Understood, You're right we don't get paid for this stuff, but for me accuracy has become a point of frustration. I've had rifles that shoot like the devil and others that despite our best efforts at the time just disappoint.
I'm chasing a 6 Dasher (bolt gun) load right now. And I've never been able to get a semi AR to shoot better than 0.8 moa. Even with a White Oak bbl and full SPR build.

I have. I've also tried the Berger 80.5s and got them well over 3000 fps. And 0.35-0.45 moa. I've never found Hornady to work well as Berger. I've tried, but ....no. In 308, 6.5CM, 223, 224V 338 Norma, etc. Now Hornady's 9mm pistol bullets are decent.
I see your point. Hornadys definitely need to be culled if you want the consistency of Berger’s. I always get a flyer here and there from my hornady eldm’s but nothing bad enough for me personally. Also they hammer game pretty well and I haven’t tried the Berger’s yet to see how they do in the 224. My other calibers they crush though so I don’t see them being any different.

Reactions: GetReal
Had a great day at the range today. 55 degrees & Sunny. There were only 3 other guys there & all shooting 308 bolt guns. None of them reload (y) . So I came home with a pile of once fired Black Hills match brass & My 6 ARC bushings delivered while at the range.

The Valkyrie also put a smile on my face today.

I posted some results in another thread from my first outing with Valkyrie & 6.5 Staball loads. Reubenski shit on my parade by showing equal results from his 223. He was getting 2800 with 75HPBT from a 20" 223. My 224 V speed was about 2770 with 77SMK & results with 85.5 Berger's sucked.

For round 2 I stepped on the gas with the Staball & got 77 SMK to 2850 & grouping well. 85.5's to 2800 hanging out the front of the windowed mag. The Berger's still did no better than 1.2" & pressure was showing at those speeds. Threw it in the safe & built a 6 ARC. Back ordered bushings had ARC on hold, so I loaded round 3 for the Valkyrie shot today.

After today I'm no longer doubting the value of this round.

Gun specs.
BCM thermal fit upper (lapped + Accushim), Anderson lower
Craddock 18" RL + 1" gas, medium profile .750 GB, 7T
Centurion M-lock 13.5 rail + Nelson 10" Arca rail.
SLR adj GB, Heathen 3p brake
Sharps XPB low mass carrier, LWRC hp bolt.
Trigger Tech adaptable set to 2.5 + Trigger tech ambi 45 degree safety
Geissele Super charging handle
Wilson/BCM mod 3 grip
VLTOR A5 spring, std A5 buffer, & tube
LuthAR stock
MK 5 HD 3.6-18 TMR scope with Leupold mount and MK machine level
IMG_6810.jpg

This was a down and dirty load test just to short list bullets and speeds for further development. Not going to bother with SD #'s since not many rounds fired. I will note the loads that showed low SD

There's not much Lever info for 224. these loads worked in my gun with my case prep etc. They may be hot AF in your gun so I'd start lower then what I've got below.

Unless noted otherwise, all were Hornady once fired, annealed, trimmed, & fucking primer stakes removed (WTF Hornady, there not mil rounds!).

Shot at 100y, bench, Ckye pod, & rear bag. All groups shot fast, but consistent speed for each group.

Baseline speed with factory Hornady 88 eldm from this 18" barrel = 2502

All loads CCI #41 primers & Leverevolution powder

Sierra 77 TMK coal 2.245 (-.005 from lands)
26.6 = 2833 low SD .750"
26.9 = 2968 .595" Plus 130fps for .3 gr holly cow.
27.2 = 2942 .452" Brass good slight ejector mark

Hornady 75 HPBT 2.215 coal (-.010 from lands)
In Hornady 1 x brass
27.3 = 2968
New Starline Brass
27.3 = 2938 SD 2.8 .596"
27.5 = 2995 Shot steel @300 Kestral check, no group. Brass & primer good, no marks.

Hornady 75 eldm 2.290 coal (.055 jump)
27.2 = 2966 1.260"
27.5 = 3022 2.915" swipe on 3 of 5 Great speed, shitty groups.

Hornady 80 eldm 2.290 coal (.055 jump)
26.7 = 2929 1.082"
27.0 = 2937 .835" pressure

Nosler 85 RDF 2.265 coal (-.010 from lands)
26.1 = 2818 .578" Brass good couple slight ejector marks
26.4 = 2863 .740" Swipes on 3 of 5

Berger 85.5 @2.285 coal (.072 jump)
26.2 = 2828 1.6" POI shifted 4" high & 1 hole looks slightly oblong
26.5 = 2866 4.5" POI shifted 5" high & 2 holes looked oblong
Berger suggests 8 twist for these so I don't know WTF is going on here. My gun hates them.

Mexican Match Federal pulled 75 TMJ with collet puller & replaced with 77TMK
These had zero neck tension once pulled. To make this work I ran the brass (still powdered) into a full length bushing die .248 bushing, then set a 21st Century mandrel die shallow & ran a .222 mandrel in just far enough.
Seated 2.245 coal

2889 fps x 5 on Chrono & 5 round group was 1.150" No pressure signs.
Still have 10 left so I'm going to try 2 more seating depths with these.

What I'll be working with for the next outing.

77 TMK 27.0 - 27.4 + seating depth
75 HPBT 27.4 - 27.6
80 ELDM 26.6 - 26.8 + seating depth
85 RDF 26.0 - 26.2 +- .005 seating depth

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the MV from this 18" barrel. The 85 RDF's were a pleasant surprise. At 320fps faster then the factory 88's hell yeah. I'd really like to try the Berger 80.5's, but I've got plenty to work with out to 1000y already.

It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up against 6 ARC Lever loads.

Had a great day at the range today. 55 degrees & Sunny. There were only 3 other guys there & all shooting 308 bolt guns. None of them reload (y) . So I came home with a pile of once fired Black Hills match brass & My 6 ARC bushings delivered while at the range.

The Valkyrie also put a smile on my face today.

I posted some results in another thread from my first outing with Valkyrie & 6.5 Staball loads. Reubenski shit on my parade by showing equal results from his 223. He was getting 2800 with 75HPBT from a 20" 223. My 224 V speed was about 2770 with 77SMK & results with 85.5 Berger's sucked.

For round 2 I stepped on the gas with the Staball & got 77 SMK to 2850 & grouping well. 85.5's to 2800 hanging out the front of the windowed mag. The Berger's still did no better than 1.2" & pressure was showing at those speeds. Threw it in the safe & built a 6 ARC. Back ordered bushings had ARC on hold, so I loaded round 3 for the Valkyrie shot today.

After today I'm no longer doubting the value of this round.

Gun specs.
BCM thermal fit upper (lapped + Accushim), Anderson lower
Craddock 18" RL + 1" gas, medium profile .750 GB, 7T
Centurion M-lock 13.5 rail + Nelson 10" Arca rail.
SLR adj GB, Heathen 3p brake
Sharps XPB low mass carrier, LWRC hp bolt.
Trigger Tech adaptable set to 2.5 + Trigger tech ambi 45 degree safety
Geissele Super charging handle
Wilson/BCM mod 3 grip
VLTOR A5 spring, std A5 buffer, & tube
LuthAR stock
MK 5 HD 3.6-18 TMR scope with Leupold mount and MK machine level
View attachment 7821574

This was a down and dirty load test just to short list bullets and speeds for further development. Not going to bother with SD #'s since not many rounds fired. I will note the loads that showed low SD

There's not much Lever info for 224. these loads worked in my gun with my case prep etc. They may be hot AF in your gun so I'd start lower then what I've got below.

Unless noted otherwise, all were Hornady once fired, annealed, trimmed, & fucking primer stakes removed (WTF Hornady, there not mil rounds!).

Shot at 100y, bench, Ckye pod, & rear bag. All groups shot fast, but consistent speed for each group.

Baseline speed with factory Hornady 88 eldm from this 18" barrel = 2502

All loads CCI #41 primers & Leverevolution powder

Sierra 77 TMK coal 2.245 (-.005 from lands)
26.6 = 2833 low SD .750"
26.9 = 2968 .595" Plus 130fps for .3 gr holly cow.
27.2 = 2942 .452" Brass good slight ejector mark

Hornady 75 HPBT 2.215 coal (-.010 from lands)
In Hornady 1 x brass
27.3 = 2968
New Starline Brass
27.3 = 2938 SD 2.8 .596"
27.5 = 2995 Shot steel @300 Kestral check, no group. Brass & primer good, no marks.

Hornady 75 eldm 2.290 coal (.055 jump)
27.2 = 2966 1.260"
27.5 = 3022 2.915" swipe on 3 of 5 Great speed, shitty groups.

Hornady 80 eldm 2.290 coal (.055 jump)
26.7 = 2929 1.082"
27.0 = 2937 .835" pressure

Nosler 85 RDF 2.265 coal (-.010 from lands)
26.1 = 2818 .578" Brass good couple slight ejector marks
26.4 = 2863 .740" Swipes on 3 of 5

Berger 85.5 @2.285 coal (.072 jump)
26.2 = 2828 1.6" POI shifted 4" high & 1 hole looks slightly oblong
26.5 = 2866 4.5" POI shifted 5" high & 2 holes looked oblong
Berger suggests 8 twist for these so I don't know WTF is going on here. My gun hates them.

Mexican Match Federal pulled 75 TMJ with collet puller & replaced with 77TMK
These had zero neck tension once pulled. To make this work I ran the brass (still powdered) into a full length bushing die .248 bushing, then set a 21st Century mandrel die shallow & ran a .222 mandrel in just far enough.
Seated 2.245 coal

2889 fps x 5 on Chrono & 5 round group was 1.150" No pressure signs.
Still have 10 left so I'm going to try 2 more seating depths with these.

What I'll be working with for the next outing.

77 TMK 27.0 - 27.4 + seating depth
75 HPBT 27.4 - 27.6
80 ELDM 26.6 - 26.8 + seating depth
85 RDF 26.0 - 26.2 +- .005 seating depth

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the MV from this 18" barrel. The 85 RDF's were a pleasant surprise. At 320fps faster then the factory 88's hell yeah. I'd really like to try the Berger 80.5's, but I've got plenty to work with out to 1000y already.

It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up against 6 ARC Lever loads.
Nice results. The 80 eldm likes 0.035”-0.045” jump for your information. I use windowed mags as well to get them to where they want to be which in my rifle is 0.045” jump. I look forward to your results.

Reactions: 357Max
Nice results. The 80 eldm likes 0.035”-0.045” jump for your information. I use windowed mags as well to get them to where they want to be which in my rifle is 0.045” jump. I look forward to your results.
Thanks I’ll try hanging the 80’s out long and see what they do. I’d really like to get those working.
I tweaked a windowed mag that gets me 2.340 without grooving lower & extension.
38710B9F-1CC1-4F28-AE65-01E1FA607857.jpeg

RDF’s don’t get much Love on here, but I wanted to try them since the ogive is located about perfect for mag length AR’s in 224.
I think these are going to be the ticket out to 1000y. I was surprised they shot so well with no load developement.

77 Tmk’s Or 75 HPBT’s <700y & that is max range for my local Gas gun matches.

My thought on the bergers is that although a jump tolerant design. The short freebore on the Valk pushes the ogive almost all the way in the case @MAG length. The bergers just don’t have the ogive well supported in the freebore. The groups with them started to tighten at 2.335 oal. Just to dam finicky for what I’m after.

Thanks I’ll try hanging the 80’s out long and see what they do. I’d really like to get those working.
I tweaked a windowed mag that gets me 2.340 without grooving lower & extension.
View attachment 7821802

RDF’s don’t get much Love on here, but I wanted to try them since the ogive is located about perfect for mag length AR’s in 224.
I think these are going to be the ticket out to 1000y. I was surprised they shot so well with no load developement.

77 Tmk’s Or 75 HPBT’s <700y & that is max range for my local Gas gun matches.

My thought on the bergers is that although a jump tolerant design. The short freebore on the Valk pushes the ogive almost all the way in the case @MAG length. The bergers just don’t have the ogive well supported in the freebore. The groups with them started to tighten at 2.335 oal. Just to dam finicky for what I’m after.
Yep I did the same thing with all my Valkyrie mags and even my 6 ARC mags as well. I only run 10 rounders in these calibers anyway. Yes the 85.5lr Berger’s liked a 0.035” jump as well in my rifle which had them around 2.325-2.33”. I have one of the longer freebore barrels though and a sammi spec throat would have most of the bullets being able to run mag length and be close enough to the lands to be accurate.

Loaded up a bunch more of those 88eldms that get no love today! Both my Valkyrie’s love them and they don’t care about jump unless you are too close to the lands.

22” Criterion by Craddock +2 gas 1:7
24” X-caliber bolt gun 1:7

Reactions: AKGuide
Loaded up a bunch more of those 88eldms that get no love today! Both my Valkyrie’s love them and they don’t care about jump unless you are too close to the lands.

22” Criterion by Craddock +2 gas 1:7
24” X-caliber bolt gun 1:7
If I didn’t find a load with the 80’s I’d still be shooting the 88’s. They are definitely not picky about jump as long as it’s not too close as you mentioned. They were happy running at 2725 in my 24” Bbl just not quite as accurate as my current 80 grain load. Consistently shooting 0.6-0.75moa all day though.