• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 rem vs 6.5 x 47 Lapua what do you have?

Twisted300Win MAG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
Michigan
I'm looking to put togather a new build. The idea is a rifle for my wife to shoot at long ranges. Iv settled on one of these two cartridges based on short action, light recoil, great selection of bullets with high bc. The plan is to use it for punching holes in paper and shooting steel. But want something that can put down med sized game at some distance. Want to shoot 123-142gr bullets. What do you have? Iv been reading posts on this for months Any new input would be helpfull.
Thanks.

Re: .260 rem vs 6.5 x 47 Lapua what do you have?

I'll be watching this one as well.. I'm torn over these two calibers, its a toss up! I like them both and will be building one of these in the end of November.. I already have the 1:8 MTU Bartlein in hand... I am leaning towards the 6.5x47 today... but a few weeks ago, I was big on the .260 rem. We shall see!

Both will do what you want and ballistics are similar. More brass selection with te .260.

I've got both. The 47 is much easier to find a load for and is much more forgiving. I would definitely go with the 47.

Once Lapua started producing 260 Rem brass, my choice was made. Not to say there's anything wrong with the 47. Both provide very similar ballistics, both my 260's are easy to load for, had no problems finding a good load, in fact both have been very forgiving. I have shot 123-142 with good results.

I would go with a 260 over the 47 for the following reasons:

.260 Remington brass will be much cheaper.
Federal now loads for it.

Otherwise it is the same. Just get a good reamer.

I built a 260 a couple of years ago after my gunsmith talked me out of a 6.5 x 47 build. I have over 3k on the rifle, it still shoots .5 moa, I don't know what a 6.5 x 47 can do over a 260 other than cost more for brass. I think the lapua brass is probably better but the remington 260 brass is not bad. I think you will like either. But then there is also the 6.5 creedmore, steeper shoulder angle, better case capacity than the lapua. You decide, have fun!

Flip a coin.

I have been using the 6.5x47 simply because my 600 yard BR rifle is chambered in it. I already had a combination that seems to do very well with the particular chamber my reamer cuts, already had te dies, and plenty of brass on hand.

I love my .260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Lapua made 6.5 Creedmoor brass, that would be my choice... But they don't..

</div></div>

Give them a little time. Took a while to make the .260 brass. Doesn't matter to me though. I have a CM and at $24.00 a box of match ammo from Hornady, it's one of my favorite rifles when I don't feel like loading for the .260.

Both, actually all three are great IMO.

I was torn between the three (6.5x47 lap, 6.5 CM, and 260). I chose the 260, even though I am still torn between the 260 Rem and 6.5 CM.

I think it's a no brainier. 6.5x47 hands down........(because that's what I went with). I'm only kidding. I don't think any one of the three will do anything the other won't.
smile.gif

'Nother vote fer 260 because of brass availability.

Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260 </div></div>

I went with 6.5 creed for several reasons, shorter than .260, load recipe supplied on the box and match ammo cost $24.95 per box, did not want to deal with small primer on 6.5x47 and more costly brass

I have two 6.5x47 rifles and a third in the build queue. I was originally torn between the 6.5x47, .260, and 6.5 CM. I crossed off the CM because no Lapua brass. I ended up going with the 6.5x47 as they are small primers. Not sure it's true, my thoughts are longer brass life over the .260, due to more brass around the primer pocket.

It's really a toss up, are three are great. If I wanted to shoot factory ammo, I'd choose the CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260 </div></div>
My last 6.5x47 made it 4000 rounds before going south.

My 2¢

260 can be pushed harder because of its capacity advantage.

X47 is a "better" design

If I were to build a 6.5mm, it would be a 6.5x55 SM or 6.5x55AI... Hard to argue with 55¢ Lapua brass.

In this case with Traav, I think the shooter went south not the gun! Just kidding!

I just decided to have a .260 built. As a reloader I felt no reason to pick one of the others.

I'm building a 6.5x47 Lapua. Considered a .260, but don't like the limitations on O.A.L with the VLD type bullets in an AI mag. Just my .002.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260</div></div>
This couldn't be more wrong. 4,000 is not a problem with the 6.5x47.

I have both. The 260 wasn't hard to find a good load and get great velocity. The 6.5x47L isn't giving the velocity but is a tack driver. The 260 will shoot in the 3/8" area with a 3k 130vld. The 47L will run the same bullet into the mid 2900s. I chose the middle node on this rifle as it can shoot 1/4" which is around 2840ish. They both are great 6.5 choices. So I guess I'm saying you can't go wrong with either. Something to consider if you are shooting matches with this rifle. You are going to loose some brass and rem isn't as bad as lapua.

I have both. Neither is a bad choice. I believe the 260 has more options though. The 6.4x47 is just a tad behind the 260 but unless they are side by side you would never know. Brass is biggest difference. If shooting the 142 for sure i would lean toward 260 more. I shoot 123 smks in x 47 and 142 smks in 260. I love both of em though. My x47 is br rifle and 260 is tactical style. I have been happy with my choices

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260</div></div>
This couldn't be more wrong. 4,000 is not a problem with the 6.5x47. </div></div>

I think i was thinking about the 6.5 x 284 round, isnt that the real barrel burner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt Barrel life of the 6.5x47 around 1500 rounds while the 6.5CM and 260 are around 3500? I am about to place my order for a .260</div></div>
This couldn't be more wrong. 4,000 is not a problem with the 6.5x47. </div></div>

I think i was thinking about the 6.5 x 284 round, isnt that the real barrel burner</div></div>

That's what I read, never owned one but I think 6.5x284 is good for about 1k if they are good hot rounds.

I'm going with the 47 for my build. The brass is more exspensive but it is suppose to be superior and last much longer.

But you can get the same brass for the .260. You can get high quality brass like the x47 but you can get less quality if you wanted to. More options

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building a 6.5x47 Lapua. Considered a .260, but don't like the limitations on O.A.L with the VLD type bullets in an AI mag. Just my .002.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul </div></div>

You picked the wrong reamer, my 260 started life with a 139 Scenar touching the lands with a ojive measurement of 2.150, or a COAL of 2.735.

I guess if your a BR guy the x47 would be the shit, the brass at 1.20ish or more is cost ineffective for me, I use Win 7-08 or .243 for my 260Rem, when I show up for a rifle match I got better things to do than search for my spent brass, another thing to consider is the winners all shoot 260Rem, 6.5CM or 243, that in it self should be a clue, less money shooting, less time reloading, equals more time shooting, which means better shooter, the CM is a great design, but the single source of brass is a turn off for me, but the Creed is an outstanding round, and don't ever think that because Lapua makes the brass that you'll be more accurate, or the cartridge is superior because of Lapua brass.

Thanks for the great input guys. I had previously ruled out the creedmore because I have a personal grudge with Hornady. But the round itself is pretty kick ass. So no creedmore untill someone els makes brass and I don't have to buy anything from hornady.

I've got a .260 Remington and it shoots like a freack laser beam out to 500 Yards! Beyond that it still has way less drift and drop than any of my .308s. The factory support for this round are picking up and brass are pretty easy to find/form as well. I think out of the choices it's the most user friendly of the bunch especially that there's several manufactures that are making factory match grad ammos for it now. I'd say it'll be a good build and will be the cheap"er" one to shoot out of the rest. Hope this helped.

Its a toss up. I've owned both. The 6.5x47 fits a magazine easier. the 6.5x47 is EASY to find a good load for. Its very, very tolerant.

The .260 will go faster and the brass is cheaper. .260 Rem brass is "OK" if you uniform it. Its also dirt cheap, but often hard to find. I believe its only done in seasonal runs.

I haven't/don't own either, but the Lapua brass would sway me in favor of the 47.

Is it true that 6.5x47L brass can be made from 6XC brass?

Sure it can, but why?

You loose the edge of having small primer pockets,

no way one can shoot Norma 6xc cases to the same pressures as 6,5x47L cases can be shot,

the Norma pockets will yield far sooner.

/C

I have rifles in all 3 calibers. I shoot the CM the least. Just not as accurate as the other two. I shoot the 6.5x47 Lapua the most. Its the most accurate of the bunch, very easy to load for, brass seems to last forever. I usually shoot 50rd boxes and after 30 reloads it was still goin' strong. I finally broke out another case to reload just to start fresh. And these aren't light loads. I'm getting 2900+ with 123gr Lapuas. Another plus is that I use 37gr of powder in the Lapua compared to 42gr in the 260. Don't get me wrong, I still shoot my 260 when I want a heaver punch at long range. It can be a bit difficult seeing ground splash at 1200-1400yds with the little 123 bullet.

This argument never ceases to crack me up with the incessant opined arguments of what is "better".

The bottom line is none of the popular 6.5's (6.5CM, .260, 6.5x47L) are "better" from a performance standpoint. One is not more accurate as a cartridge than another. External ballistics are external ballistics and it's the same bullet, same velocity, same twist rate. So the perceived differences are based solely on personal preference and have nothing to do with performance.

Pick the headache you are willing to deal with and press forward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This argument never ceases to crack me up with the incessant opined arguments of what is "better".

The bottom line is none of the popular 6.5's (6.5CM, .260, 6.5x47L) are "better" from a performance standpoint. One is not more accurate as a cartridge than another. External ballistics are external ballistics and it's the same bullet, same velocity, same twist rate. So the perceived differences are based solely on personal preference and have nothing to do with performance.

Pick the headache you are willing to deal with and press forward. </div></div>

I agree with mike. Ballistic wise they are the same. The only difference is brass (a little difference in case capacity, and shoulder) and cost. They are all good shooters from what I have read. I chose 260 Rem just b/c of the Lapua Brass is available, and it has been around longer. My second choice is 6.5 Creedmoor.

Between the 3 rounds I think it is all a persons Preference.

6.5 Creedmore Hornady brass is not bad. I'm at 8X firings using 41.9 of H4350. Factory match ammo at Powder Valley is 23.41.

Lapua brass for the 260 is nice but if you shoot matches that don't let you pick up your brass could be costly. Something to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't/don't own either, but the Lapua brass would sway me in favor of the 47.</div></div>

The .260 has Lapua brass also but has the benefit of other brass options also.

Personally 6.5x47, realistically bugger all in it between the 47 and the .260.

To me, doing pretty much the same with less powder makes sense with the 47.

I can also get more rounds onto a plane with the 47 which is important to me.

Terry

The X47 has NO issues with mag length at about any seating depths. The .260 with 140 class cannot say the same.

I think it is a better designed case due to shoulder angle and small primers, but will you notice it on steel? I doubt it.

both calibers are very close ballisticaly, as mentioned, there are a lot more choices in brass for the .260 compared to the lapua, with a brake the 260 kicks like a pussycat so recoil won't a problem at all, it feeds out of mags like a charm amd is easy to load for with less expensive dies than the lapua.
the .260 will do everything the lapua will and then a little more.
cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted300Win MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to put togather a new build. The idea is a rifle for my wife to shoot at long ranges. Iv settled on one of these two cartridges based on short action, light recoil, great selection of bullets with high bc. The plan is to use it for punching holes in paper and shooting steel. But want something that can put down med sized game at some distance. Want to shoot 123-142gr bullets. What do you have? Iv been reading posts on this for months Any new input would be helpfull.
Thanks. </div></div>

Close your eyes and pick.....don't think you would EVER shoot the difference (if there really is a difference)

Out of the two which has the softer recoil, all factors being equal,

Hope you dont mind the question on this thread but I think it's important, for me it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Practical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of the two which has the softer recoil, all factors being equal,

Hope you dont mind the question on this thread but I think it's important, for me it is. </div></div>

x 47 lapua has less powder capacity/recoil/barrel wear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Practical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of the two which has the softer recoil, all factors being equal,

Hope you dont mind the question on this thread but I think it's important, for me it is. </div></div>

x 47 lapua has less powder capacity/recoil/barrel wear</div></div>

less powder capacity but capable of sustaining higher pressure...

I'd bet that you'd be hard pressed to measure, much less feel or experience less recoil or barrel life