• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

284 Winchester LR rifle

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
I'm thinking about building a 7mm LR rifle. After looking at all the options, I wouldn't mind a 284 Win. It's almost as good as the short magnums and would certainly have longer barrel life. Is the brass still readily available? Has anyone out there built one?

Re: 284 Winchester LR rifle

Lots of guys have built them and use them successfully in many forms of competition. Best brass out there is Lapua for it, but you have to buy the 6.5-284 and neck it up (1 step) to the straight 284.

Here's a thread that may help with other questions that you're bound to have with regards to caliber choices and application.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1877441&page=1

I have a .284 Winchester which does just fine. Like the man said 1 step to neck up. Works nice with either 168/180 Berger's or 180 JLK's. Very easy to load for. Mine showed a preference for CCI BR2 primers & H4831SC with all bullets. I didn't have any 162 Hornady's but I'm sure they would work also. The H4831SC shot so well that I didn't even try any other powders.
Good Luck with your build.

95LTZ...Have you tried the new Hornady 6.5-284 issue? I use their 6.5 Creedmoor in my LR-10 and find that there is very little variation in brass thickness and it seems to be holding up real well as far as # of reloads go.

No, I have not tried Hornady's brass. I ordered 300 pcs. of Lapua 6.5x284 & haven't had the need to look for anything else. I am one of those that de-burrs the flash hole/turns the neck and inside/outside chamfer & trim to length once all pcs. are once fired. By that time I have a load worked up so I'm good to go. The next project is to weight sort all the prepped brass. The things we do for little holes in paper.
Semper Fi

well I can not add anything they have hit the nail on the head. Lapua brass and neck it back up. its what I do.

A properly loaded .284 Win (long) will drive circles around a 7mm Rem Mag.

7 WSM lacks quality brass. 7mm/300 WSM would be better but .284 Win works so well that I do not see any point in a 7 WSM target rifle. You do need a long action but so what ?

I debated the same thing 2 months ago. I went with the 284 win. I built it for strictly an F-Class gun. I think it would be a great tactical gun also. Great bcs on the bullets. Laupa brass neck it up and ready to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with 280 Rem if you're going with a long action. Just my $0.02 . </div></div>

But is there any advantage to go .280 Rem over the .284 Win?