• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 PRC? Info and why you would chamber it

AR_longranger

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2018
Anyone heard anything on the 300 PRC? Seems like an interesting non belted magnum, I know a lot of people dont like the belt, just wondering if it can do more than say the 300 win mag or 300 norma magnum.

Rich now has a 300prc Sherman improved that can shoot/firefirm with loaded 300prc. Makes the cartridge much more appealing to me at least.

In factory form it has the ease that come with Hornady offerings. Just buy factory ammo and shoot. If you’re into handloading/customs it offers little over win mag in factory form.

Not all of these apply to everyone. Especially people who reload, and especially people who reload and get custom reamers made for match-grade barrels.

Vs. the Norma:
Pros:
More efficient powder burn
Fits in a standard magnum action (not Lapua bolt face)
May have an easier time keeping ES/SD down

Cons:
Less velocity, maybe 100-150fps

Vs. 300 win mag
Pros:
More velocity
Same story with ES/SD. It was designed around existing propellants to have an efficient, consistent burn
No belt
Probably better accuracy potential out of a factory rifle

Cons:
None from a performance standpoint. You probably won't find near as much factory ammo available for a while; until/unless it catches on.

Vs. the Nosler
Pros:
Factory match ammo, SAAMI chamber set up for long heavy LR bullets and accuracy
Non-rebated rim, better feeding

Cons:
Less velocity

It falls somewhere between the 300 win mag and 300 Norma for velocity, it's set up specifically for long range/accuracy, and is an efficient case designed around existing propellants. The only overall downer I've seen is that so far, it only fits in CIP length magazines, otherwise it would be a simple re-barrel swap from 300 win mag in most factory rifles. If you hate on Hornady brass, I believe others are already gearing up to produce it.

I like to think of it as 6.5 Creedmoor's big brother. Very similar approach/concept in its development.

Limited brass is also a current con of the 300 PRC when compared to the Norma.
If the 300PRC captures 5% of the WinMag market it will be 5 or more times the size of the 300 Norma market, brass won’t be an issue unless the PRC just flops.

Hence the "current". Fact is we can speculate all we want, but limited and quality brass is a real con at this point.

Not all of these apply to everyone. Especially people who reload, and especially people who reload and get custom reamers made for match-grade barrels.

Vs. the Norma:
Pros:
More efficient powder burn
Fits in a standard magnum action (not Lapua bolt face)
May have an easier time keeping ES/SD down

Cons:
Less velocity, maybe 100-150fps

Vs. 300 win mag
Pros:
More velocity
Same story with ES/SD. It was designed around existing propellants to have an efficient, consistent burn
No belt

Cons:
None from a performance standpoint. You probably won't find near as much factory ammo available for a while; until/unless it catches on.

Vs. the Nosler
Pros:
Factory match ammo, SAAMI chamber set up for long heavy LR bullets and accuracy
Non-rebated rim, better feeding

Cons:
Less velocity

It falls somewhere between the 300 win mag and 300 Norma for velocity, it's set up specifically for long range/accuracy, and is an efficient case designed around existing propellants. The only overall downer I've seen is that so far, it only fits in CIP length magazines, otherwise it would be a simple re-barrel swap from 300 win mag in most factory rifles. If you hate on Hornady brass, I believe others are already gearing up to produce it.

I like to think of it as 6.5 Creedmoor's big brother. Very similar approach/concept in its development.

My Norma produced single digit ES and SD without even trying. It's easily the most accurate magnum I've ever loaded for .

The only way I'd chamber a PRC is if I wanted to cuss at brass .