• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Update on Whidden dies.

A few weeks back I mentioned that I had gotten in my custom FL resizing and hydro forming dies from Whidden. Here are some notes:

- I love the FL resizing die. It is giving me spot-on consistent results on every case. For reference, I posted where my Hornady FL resizing die was giving me inconsistent results. Not so with the Whidden.
- It's tighter tolerance on the FL sizing piece than the Hornady die I was using. The first time through on all my cases I really had to put some weight into it.
- On the hydro forming die, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. The amount of hammering it takes was more than my crappy little Lee press could handle. There was also too much give on the bench where I tried it. I'm going to try and find a cement something somewhere around my house - AND - I ordered a used Rock Chucker off eBay to bear the brunt of the force.
- More to come on the hydro die after the Rock Chucker arrives.

Funny I have the Whidden FL sizing die and have gotten inconsistent sizes. Same also with the micrometer seater from whidden, actually the seater had been VERY inconsistent. Never get that with any of my Redding or Forster dies, they are all spot on and repeatable.

Funny I have the Whidden FL sizing die and have gotten inconsistent sizes. Same also with the micrometer seater from whidden, actually the seater had been VERY inconsistent. Never get that with any of my Redding or Forster dies, they are all spot on and repeatable.

Interesting. I'll measure my next run of 50 cases and post the results on the resize.

Interesting. I'll measure my next run of 50 cases and post the results on the resize.

I'll be interested to see the data. The Whidden reloading tools I have are all excellent performers but a guy I know that is a skilled handloader that got a Whidden seating die that was a lemon. He sent it back and Whidden got him a good replacement.

I’ve had someone recommended 338 cip mags and someone else recommend 300 cip mags. I’m starting a build and unsure which will feed better.

300 wm mags feed right out of the gate. 338 mags have to be bent a little.

I have a 300 prc ,am looking for starting charge of v565 with 212,215 or 225 bullets. Any help would be appreciated.
My accuracy node for 225 ELD-Ms and vihtavuori n565 is 78.5gr ...so I would probably start at 75gr and load up one each every .5 grains...and you will probably see them punch one hole from 78 to 79 grains

Started my journey north today... Stopped by Bass pro shop in Macon Georgia a few mins ago and bought 6lbs of retumbo...and 2lbs of RL-33...they are out...I'll stop by about 5 more on the way home...you guys better beat me to them if you want retumbo.

They had zero RL-26 and h1000

Reactions: LakuNoc
There is probably 40 1 lb jugs of h1000 at a gun store near me. They are high on the price but it's at least available.

I’ve had someone recommended 338 cip mags and someone else recommend 300 cip mags. I’m starting a build and unsure which will feed better.
I use 3.850 cip accurate mag for 300 rum works great

Attachments

• prc-07957 - Copy.jpg
    prc-07957 - Copy.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Reactions: rfurman24
Get a go gauge and use a piece of blue painters tape on the end for the nogo for a field gun. If it's for a elr specific or bench rest use the brass method and turn the neck if that's your preference. But use the brass your going to use not just any brand.

Reactions: gdonley308
I’m keeping an eye on them. There’s no preorder or anything listed on the website yet. Just some social media stuff.

They are about 46 miles from Rockcastle Shooting Center down near Mammoth Cave, KY...I can't imagine them NOT testing their brass in the real world there with long distance shooters. Maybe I should start the annoying campaign of saying, "Hi...driving through on my way to Rockcastle....how about I sing by and pick up 5 pieces of 300PRC and do some ladder testing?"

Like over...and over...and over ;)

In the next few days I'll be loading up some 250gr A-Tips with some RL-33 and Retumbo. My barrel is a 28" 1-9tw Bartlein. I won't get to the range until Sunday or maybe as late as next Monday. I'll do a Satterlee load work up using most likely the MagnetoSpeedV3 because I'm terrified of the muzzle blast damaging the Labradar. Forecast says I'll probably be shooting in about 48F temps at an elevation of around 900ft ASL.

I'm not expecting good results with this setup. I'll only be able to shoot out to 300 yards. I'll be looking for some tiny hint of a destablized bullet. I will report back when I have data....oh...Brass will be 5x hornady.

Reactions: Joeydias3
In the next few days I'll be loading up some 250gr A-Tips with some RL-33 and Retumbo. My barrel is a 28" 1-9tw Bartlein. I won't get to the range until Sunday or maybe as late as next Monday. I'll do a Satterlee load work up using most likely the MagnetoSpeedV3 because I'm terrified of the muzzle blast damaging the Labradar. Forecast says I'll probably be shooting in about 48F temps at an elevation of around 900ft ASL.

I'm not expecting good results with this setup. I'll only be able to shoot out to 300 yards. I'll be looking for some tiny hint of a destablized bullet. I will report back when I have data....oh...Brass will be 5x hornady.
I have no worries about my Labradar. It should be placed right next to your dials on your scope. It won't be near your muzzle.. with a break tou can have it way way back

Reactions: max1840
I have no worries about my Labradar. It should be placed right next to your dials on your scope. It won't be near your muzzle.. with a break tou can have it way way back

The brake is an APA Lil'B...and it'lll blow your hat off your head at a 45 degree angle at 5 feet. I'll just stick with the Magneto when I only really want to know MV.

The brake is an APA Lil'B...and it'lll blow your hat off your head at a 45 degree angle at 5 feet. I'll just stick with the Magneto when I only really want to know MV.
Nice, I have the same break on my 300 PRC and Warbird. Hat is still intact and Labradar is still good as new...

They are about 46 miles from Rockcastle Shooting Center down near Mammoth Cave, KY...I can't imagine them NOT testing their brass in the real world there with long distance shooters. Maybe I should start the annoying campaign of saying, "Hi...driving through on my way to Rockcastle....how about I sing by and pick up 5 pieces of 300PRC and do some ladder testing?"

Like over...and over...and over ;)
Lol send some my way! I’ll pay shipping... I guess!

Finally made it to range with the 300....
So box ammo eld match was 2890....
225 match with 77 grns of H4831 2945....
These correlate ?

Any one have a go to app for ballistic/drop calculator??
Using strelok....tried the hornady app (way off for me)...strelok pretty close for me...

Reactions: Joeydias3
These correlate ?

Using strelok....tried the hornady app (way off for me)...strelok pretty close for me...
My 4dof kestrel and ballisticsARC line exactly

But you have to have the Same input data.

Good data in good data out

These correlate ?

If you used the 4dof and it was way off recheck your inputs. I'm a 1/10 at most off out to 700 iwth everything I shoot. I've shot to 1420 with waterline vertical in multiple temps from 45to 7 so far with a 162/7mag.

Reactions: dfp dfp

I just sized 65 cases. All but one measured within .0005", which could easily be accounted for by difference in pressure I apply to the calipers. The one came in at .001" below.

I just sized 65 cases. All but one measured within .0005", which could easily be accounted for by difference in pressure I apply to the calipers. The one came in at .001" below.

Interesting. Hopefully I can find time in the next two weeks to run some more and see what the deal is with mine...

Are you measuring base-to-datum? Are you using a Hornady or Forster caliper accessory? I need to have Whidden make me a 300 PRC case gage. I get great repeatability with them.

I've been working a lot of over time after taking a week off for Thanks Giving. I still intend to get out Tuesday and shoot some 250gr A-Tips. Work up loads with Retumbo, N565, and RL-33. I don't presently have any H1k or RL-26. I'll start low and go to about 80 grains each and get some velocities. If I only take one rifle, I'll use the Magneto Speed V3.

Barrel will be 28" Bartlein with a 1-9tw. I'll only be able to shoot out to 300yds max. Don't feel like traveling very far when all I'm doing is load development. Looks like the weather will be some snow. probably shooting temps at 32F/70% Humidity/Altitude of 900 feet...so a DA should be around -1200 or so.

Are you measuring base-to-datum? Are you using a Hornady or Forster caliper accessory? I need to have Whidden make me a 300 PRC case gage. I get great repeatability with them.

The measurement was was post-sizing (obviously) base to datum. Pre-sizing is 2.190" and my desired is 2.188". All of what I would call the 64 "compliant" cases were at 2.188" or 2.1885". The one that was out was 2.187". This is using the caliper accessory provided by Whidden with the gauge - only because I just keep the Hornady set up for my 6mm. As an aside, I didn't know Forster made one - nifty set up on that piece of equipment. Thanks for the intro to it :)

I also have a Whidden sizing die for my 6mm BRA and I just sized 100 of those cases with very similar results - 2 of the 100 fell .001" short, the rest within 0/+ .0005".

As a note, I don't do a hard cam-over when I size. I take the press to an easy stopping point, then apply slightly more pressure. The inaccuracy in the "slightly more pressure" could be the culprit in the small amount and of variance I'm getting.

Tnx for replies...
Agreed...good data in...good data out...
Just about the story of everything...

I will redo the hornady app and see if any different...(I may have toggled something incorrectly)
I'm about 1/10 off with strelok...same data entered in hornady but a whole mil off...

Was really just double checking apps...may have to stay with strelok..

DigN the crap out of the 300 tho...been a blast at the range....thinking of a build chambered the same for hunting....looking for less than the 22 pound MPA...

Tomorrow should be FUN!!!! I'll go out in the morning and shoot some 225 ELD-M's and some 230 A-Tips and get some data....and make some empty brass. Then come home and load up some 250 A-Tips and do a Satterlee load development with Retumbo, N565 and RL-33.

RFW0D6P.png

Tnx for replies...
Agreed...good data in...good data out...
Just about the story of everything...

I will redo the hornady app and see if any different...(I may have toggled something incorrectly)
I'm about 1/10 off with strelok...same data entered in hornady but a whole mil off...

Was really just double checking apps...may have to stay with strelok..

DigN the crap out of the 300 tho...been a blast at the range....thinking of a build chambered the same for hunting....looking for less than the 22 pound MPA...

Got a 300PRC in the works for hunting. Sendero profile barrel. 9 twist for shooting the 230 Berger’s at target and game.

Reactions: dfp dfp and b2lee
What reloading dies are everyone using? How are the Hornady match dies? I usually use the Redding S full length sizer and Forster micrometer benchrest seater. I can't find either commercially but thought I read somewhere that you can special order the redding die. My build will be complete if PVA ever ships my barrel out.

I'm using the Hornady Match dies...with Hornady brass...when I upgrade my brass...I'll upgrade my dies.

Reactions: catalyst81