• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

What reloading dies are everyone using? How are the Hornady match dies? I usually use the Redding S full length sizer and Forster micrometer benchrest seater. I can't find either commercially but thought I read somewhere that you can special order the redding die. My build will be complete if PVA ever ships my barrel out.

Im using the 300 PRC Type S die. It is considered a "custom" You can get them from Accurate arms and ammo.

They are a main supplier of Redding dies and when calling Redding directly they sent me to Accurate Arms and Ammo to place the order. Great people.

Im using the 300 PRC Type S die. It is considered a "custom" You can get them from Accurate arms and ammo.

They are a main supplier of Redding dies and when calling Redding directly they sent me to Accurate Arms and Ammo to place the order. Great people.

how much do they charge for it?

I’m looking at ordering a whidden FL bushing die and micrometer seater with stem for 215 Bergers

how much do they charge for it?

The Redding Type S FL and Competition seating dies are currently in the "custom" lineup and are stupid expensive, $490 right now for the bushing FL die and the competition seating die set. Ouch.

The tech person I spoke with on the phone at Redding said the 300 PRC dies will move out of the "custom" line and be a regular production item hopefully by end of January / February 2020 at which time they'll be priced the same as the other regular production dies in the same die series-- so about $250 for a FL type S bushing die and competition seating die set.

Based off that phone call I decided to start off with the Hornady match bushing die set and pickup the Redding dies later.

I have to admit, I kind of like the Hornady FL bushing sizing die and really don't see a compelling reason to change to the Redding. It even uses all my Redding bushings. While I do prefer the full length case support of the Redding Competition seating die over the way the Hornady seating die is made, and while the micrometer on the Redding die is easier to read than the Hornady die, the Hornady seating die is producing some very accurate ammo. Not bad for a die set that costs $65ish if you use a discount code...

That's still pretty expensive for a neck bushing die but we're crack addicts looking for good brass.

I agree its expensive. It looks like I paid $137 for mine when I looked back at the invoice. Was worth it for me as I have not had consistent results with Hornady stuff in the past.

does anyone have experience with a 300PRC in a 10 twist?

my smith just got in two extra 32" straight contour bartleins. but both 10 twist. doesnt have a use for them

probably gonna use one for a 308 barrel for tac class. but debating a 300PRC/300 Sherman Magnum or a 300SS with the other

i'd want to push 215/230s

i'm not in the mountains. average DA -1000 to 3500

my smith just got in two extra 32" straight contour bartleins. but both 10 twist. doesnt have a use for them

probably gonna use one for a 308 barrel for tac class. but debating a 300PRC/300 Sherman Magnum or a 300SS with the other

What elevation are you typically shooting at?

What elevation are you typically shooting at?
max of 1000 above sea level. more in the 300-800 range. i live in boston.

berger and JBM both put me around 1.4ish which seems to be questionable

also debating doing a 300NM improved, but that's almost stepping up big cost wise just to sue two barrels i could just use with 185/200s from a 308

max of 1000 above sea level. more in the 300-800 range. i live in boston.

berger and JBM both put me around 1.4ish which seems to be questionable

also debating doing a 300NM improved, but that's almost stepping up big cost wise just to sue two barrels i could just use with 185/200s from a 308

I’d say that’s wise. With the heavies available now for the bigs 30s it would kind of slow

Shoot Dave Tooley a note. I though I heard him saying they shot the PRC into the 1.1 area with still good results. Giving up a little BC but from my conversations with him he said 10 and 9 twist is splitting hairs (for my uses at least). I have one thats a 10 twist but Im also using it as a hunting rifle at 5-10k ft elevation with the 215s. So not really apples to apples with that rifle and your use.

The 300 Norma's used to be all 10 twists...

Pre PRC, as in 300AI or 300 HSM, we shot 225 BT's and Amax's in 10 twists with no problems.
The bullet I shot that had an Sg of 1.1 was a BIB 187 gr. 30 cal FB. in a 14 twist. Most consistent shooting barrel I've ever had.

Reactions: Dooby and b6graham

RL 26. 1lb or 8Lb in stock I just bought some.

Walked out the door and forgot the 250gr A-Tips loaded with Retumbo/N565/RL-33.. DOH!!!

However, I did manage to take the big box of ammo that I wanted to do temp stability of the N565 loaded with 225gr ELD-M's. I was pleasantly surprised to see not much reduction in velocity in much colder conditions. I dropped about 1fps per degree F. Today was slightly cold....35F when I shot....some would call that 'mild'...but I couldn't shoot less than a 1/2" 100yd group to save my life because this southern boy was shivering a little....micro shivers. Vertically was great....side to side was bleh.... so 78.5gr of Vihtavuori N565 pushing a 225 ELD-M equals:

300PRC225N565.png

6th firing on Hornady brass....SD 4.0...ES of 11...time to anneal ;)

Shot out of this old thing:

300prcground.png

Notice the Cerakote on the bolt wearing away....notice the carbon after the muzzle brake. #NOSAFEQUEENS Rifle was built to work...not look pretty in a locked safe....and yes...it's about to get a detailed cleaning and a bedtime story.

Last edited:

Yes i reamed out a low round count 308Win 26" varmint profile 1:10T barrel with my 300prc reamer. 1K yds 4" group with Hornady factory 300prc ELD match 225g. First session out after zeroing it. I first tried a new 1:8T barrel that i chambered with the 300prc reamer and it shot a 7 foot group. Same distance, ammo, barrrel manufacture and contour. I have some 1:9T blanks i will try later.

Reactions: Pools1
Walked out the door and forgot the 250gr A-Tips loaded with Retumbo/N565/RL-33.. DOH!!!

However, I did manage to take the big box of ammo that I wanted to do temp stability of the N565 loaded with 225gr ELD-M's. I was pleasantly surprised to see not much reduction in velocity in much colder conditions. I dropped about 1fps per degree F. Today was slightly cold....35F when I shot....some would call that 'mild'...but I couldn't shoot less than a 1/2" 100yd group to save my life because this southern boy was shivering a little....micro shivers. Vertically was great....side to side was bleh.... so 78.5gr of Vihtavuori N565 pushing a 225 ELD-M equals:

MhtQMmR.png

6th firing on Hornady brass....SD 4.0...ES of 11...time to anneal ;)

Shot out of this old thing:

Ftq8bt2.png

Notice the Cerakote on the bolt wearing away....notice the carbon after the muzzle brake. #NOSAFEQUEENS Rifle was built to work...not look pretty in a locked safe....and yes...it's about to get a detailed cleaning and a bedtime story.
Thanks. Been thinking of trying some n565... although isn't it close to or same as RL26? As someone else speculated.

Thanks. Been thinking of trying some n565... although isn't it close to or same as RL26? As someone else speculated.

Well...since I can't find any RL-26...I don't know...I do find it really close to Retumbo....Maybe Sunday I can finally shoot some 250 A-Tips with RL-33. I'll hopefully be a Thunder Valley Precision....so I can test out if my barrel twist rate stablizes enough to reach way out and hit stuff....or will it start knuckle balling on me. We'll see.

At least with the flatlines in a 30in barrel, N560 and RL-26 are the same speed according to Warner’s QL settings. N565 is a bit slower than both N560 (20 fps) and N570 (10fps) but is by far the fastest temp-stable-ish powder.

I posted some data from today over in the Reloading Thread 250gr A-Tips look promising so far in my rifle. However, After shooting lasers with the 225gr ELD-M's today...I don't think the price difference is worth it until I start trying for stupid distances...maybe Mile - 2500 yards....and I don't know yet how much better they would be over the 230's yet. MORE TESTING!!!!

10 years ago I was shooting 308 out of my Remington 700 Police with a Bushy HDMR mounted to a 45MOA Badger base. Running 175 SMK's and getting my rocks off hitting 1000yd steel targets with 50%+ accuracy. Today with the 300PRC, 1000yd was boring. I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

Point, pull, bang!

I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend and shot well...or atleast shot.

Question: With Redding's Custom Seating Die, do I need a stem as well or will it be able to seat the A-tip as is? Any experiences here?

I'd probably try one of Redding's VLD seating stems and see how it fits on the A-tip.

Yes i do anneal after every firing or after every other. Yes i will anneal RCC brass, will keep you posted.

apologize if i missed this...are you annealing the RCC brass? Would you happen to be using an AMP for annealing? If so, what is your AZTEC code?

I've spoke to RCC and AMP and they both are working together to see if it's possible. RCC mentioned to me that their brass needs higher temperature to anneal.

AMP has told me that they are working on a AZTEC pilot code for the 300 PRC RCC brass.

Reactions: ultraviolet
kinda painful to think about sacrificing a piece of RCC brass to get your own code isn't it?

I'd probably do 2-3 firings on it and hope someone else bit the bullet and sent in some test brass...heh

kinda painful to think about sacrificing a piece of RCC brass to get your own code isn't it?

I'd probably do 2-3 firings on it and hope someone else bit the bullet and sent in some test brass...heh

Yea it is lol...RCC was suppose to send me a few extra cases for that purpose. However, i think they forgot. Got exactly 50 cases ?

I did speak with Jeff today. Having issues chambering a case. Shoulder too wide. Will have to try and re-size and re-chamber. Hopefully this works.

This was my fault, i didnt have chamber specs yet and ordered blindly. RCC willl work with you to rectify the issue. Great customer service!

Update: I'm a dumbass! I used the wrong die...a neck die instead of a FL die. Luckily i had a spare set of Hornady dies which included a FL Bushing die. This worked out, I'm now able to chamber my $6/case brass ?.

Last edited:
You got to pay at both ends?
What do you mean "pay at both ends"?

I didn't have to ship back the Brass.

On another note, anyone notice how deep the primers are seating? (RCC). I'm a bit worried about light strikes...or not enough contact/energy to set off the primer.

That's like Christmas twice in a week! Been MIA doing 215 BHT proofing (holding .5 to 600 - can't wait to get these to distance), doing a 6.5 PRC work up (highly recommend so far.) plus rigging up an off barrel Magnetospeed mount. (happy to share design if interested.) Thanks again for prompting me to check my email!

Reactions: Joeydias3
I was deep in the woods over the holiday and when I hit a peak my phone started going off with all my emails and txt. I scrolled through them and was like work...nope....nope...nope...nope...and then saw the register for ADG 300PRC brass....I was like hell yea I'll get on the waiting list from the middle of no where.

I just wish they had asked how many they think we'll buy. Some people will just do 50 and do some load testing. Some will do 100...and some will do 200 and load for comps. A few may get crazy and do a lot more. I think I'll do 100 to start off with and do my testing. Load some hot loads and see how many reloads I can get out of them before loose primer pocket.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and stay out of drunk tank on New Years!

Reactions: Dpp and Forrest
I have 200 of the ADG 6.5 PRC brass and it’s excellent to work with, looking forward to the 300 PRC brass, I pre ordered 400 !

FYI,
This afternoon I ran an OCW with both N565 and Ramshot Magnum. 80g of Retumbo was producing 3000fps. I started with N565 and found a node right at 3025fps and 80g. The Ramshot seemed to be about 50fps for any given charge weight. Although it had wider nodes.
I’m going to shoot groups next weekend and see what kind of ES I can get.

Damn I hope I can end my dependence on Retumbo

Reactions: b2lee
FYI,
This afternoon I ran an OCW with both N565 and Ramshot Magnum. 80g of Retumbo was producing 3000fps. I started with N565 and found a node right at 3025fps and 80g. The Ramshot seemed to be about 50fps for any given charge weight. Although it had wider nodes.
I’m going to shoot groups next weekend and see what kind of ES I can get.

Damn I hope I can end my dependence on Retumbo

A little clarification if you could. What bullet you testing? And you said Ramshot seemed to be about 50fps?...slower or faster? I'm a big big fan of the N565.....especially in the 250gr A-Tips....Retumbo was disappointing with the 250's for me.....well...after I saw what N565 could do.

A little clarification if you could. What bullet you testing? And you said Ramshot seemed to be about 50fps?...slower or faster? I'm a big big fan of the N565.....especially in the 250gr A-Tips....Retumbo was disappointing with the 250's for me.....well...after I saw what N565 could do.
My bad, shooting Berger 215g. Ramshot was slower.

Not reading through 42 pages. What real world velocity are you guys seeing w 215 Berger's from a 24 inch?

Not reading through 42 pages. What real world velocity are you guys seeing w 215 Berger's from a 24 inch?

Not a 24 inch tube but I have a 26 inch tube here. I Only shoot the berger 215s in this gun.

76.9gr RL26 3018 fps
79.26gr H1k 2980 fps

Without pressure. Hornady brass. Going abother grain higher I was losing primer pockets after 3-4 firings with 80.5 grains of H1k. Didnt take RL26 over the 76.9 yet. But no pressure there. Seated at 3.705 coal.

Reactions: aaronk and BCX
Anyone put over 1,000 rounds through their 300 PRC yet? Interested in barrel life/accuracy. We are putting a lot of powder through these 30cal barrels...when a lot of us come from backgrounds of 308's, 6.5 Creed and similar.

I had 1000 rounds in a 300wm pushing Berger’s 230s at 2800 fps using retumbo. Did 2k with it regularly and shot fine before being sold.

Looking at building an 300prc for a new ELR gun and to shoot the NF ELR match.

Read through most of this, excited to get to shoot it.

Reactions: Dooby and b2lee
Anyone put over 1,000 rounds through their 300 PRC yet? Interested in barrel life/accuracy. We are putting a lot of powder through these 30cal barrels...when a lot of us come from backgrounds of 308's, 6.5 Creed and similar.
i believe sherman has put 1600+ through one of his 300 Sherman Magnums

I know of a barrel that has north of 2000 rounds on it that is still shooting well. I need to get a hold of the guy and see if we can maybe bore scope it and test it for velocity and accuracy. By no means claiming that to be the "standard". I think I'm still in the 500-600 range on mine. Trying to save it for some ELR Comps next summer.