• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Range todan with RCC brass and 230 A-Tip H1000 powder. Extreme spread of 7FPS with 5 rounds. I’m more than happy with performance.
Also 3 shoots group at 800 yards.
I can’t ask for more than this I’m very happy with results.

Attachments

• 3B1DB57C-4448-491A-B974-4AAEDC061F67.jpeg
    3B1DB57C-4448-491A-B974-4AAEDC061F67.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 167
  • 64A49D2E-46CB-4923-BB25-B38AA660B010.jpeg
    64A49D2E-46CB-4923-BB25-B38AA660B010.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 160
@LakuNoc Here I am at work and getting jealous of that 800yd group. Nice! I'm assuming you are doing that accuracy node around 78.5 grains. Nice ES and MV. With the holidays coming up...I may get to stretch out to 1500yd next week...maybe. 600-800yds for sure.

@LakuNoc Here I am at work and getting jealous of that 800yd group. Nice! I'm assuming you are doing that accuracy node around 78.5 grains. Nice ES and MV. With the holidays coming up...I may get to stretch out to 1500yd next week...maybe. 600-800yds for sure.
I'm sorry that you have to work. But I'm sure you will be replicating same groups very soon with your 300 PRC.
Yes that is node
78.5Gr of H1000
230 A-Tip
RCC brass

Just weird on the node. Using Hornady brass...I have a node there on the 230 A-Tips with both Retumbo and N565.

Reactions: LakuNoc
Range todan with RCC brass and 230 A-Tip H1000 powder. Extreme spread of 7FPS with 5 rounds. I’m more than happy with performance.
Also 3 shoots group at 800 yards.
I can’t ask for more than this I’m very happy with results.
Sweet nice job proper prep pays !

Reactions: LakuNoc
Does RCC brass allow for higher pressure since they use strength alloys?
Well look at it this way higher pressures are based in design up alloy design Of case and action Ant powder types . Simply ply put take this prc case run at the same pressures you get 20 plus shots . That should answer
Your question. Will it be advertised at higher pressures ???? No I think not not unless designs were taken in design in a cartridge built for it.
Thanks for bringing this up, "The flat bottom on the bottom of the Rcc brass is needed this creates a sharp edge Orphis keeping pressure from finding the flash hole. When designing cartridges hydro dynamics must be considered" When I first saw that long flash hole I was thinking something similar but started to think it may also increase the Venturi effect and focus the ignition further into the body possibly creating a more consistent burn. Just a thought, I have no idea if it holds any weight.
The longer flash hole increases fuse time Cfm is controlled threw length or diamiter

But Theis, your design combines high strength brass and high strength action, right? (a system approach) I'm just making sure people don't think they can push an action unrealistically hard just because they got better brass.
The point that Theis has made is already being done in our group or camp alliance with several companies involved. My self. John pierce pro Martusheff The 20x action and 800 series actions were designed for monster Cartridges running at way above normal pressure levels 420 blitz, 375 mars ,408 colossus , 416 colossus, 420 enforcer, 458 Goliath . Theis is part of this alliances and specialized cartridges are already in the works for his applications . Greatness begins by starting with design with advancements in mind it starts from the ground up

I am looking to build a 300 PRC on a REM 700 action that has been trued and a 4.0” Wyatt’s mag box installed. Will this mag box be an issue with this or could I run a shorter Wyatt’s mag box even though it is fitted with the 4.0” box?

I get what you guys are saying, so let me clarify my take on the situation.

First, if I wanted a wildcat to be real and actually have availability beyond my own workshop I would take brass availability as a number one consideration. More specifically, parent cartridge. Look at plethora of cartridges that nearly fizzled or completely died because no one made acceptable quality brass for them, OR made brass that was simply ridiculously priced - it's one and the same really. "Ridiculously priced" consumables might as well be non-existent. Sure, you'll have the 100 guys in the world that buy into the wildcat of choice program, but that's as far as it will go most likely.

Second, I think it's great that a company offers this service. Any service offered in the industry is a good service, regardless if anyone will use it or not. They aren't selling R&D brass here though. 300 PRC is not a wildcat! At first I thought they were capitalizing on the fact that no one else makes 300 PRC brass - then I saw their other prices. Makes Lapua pricing look like Dollar General! Buying a decent quantity from RCC right is a serious investment. If Lapua made it, 1/3 the cost and top-notch quality. Shooters just don't care how it's manufactured if it is truly quality and attainable.

Again, I'm not bad-mouthing the company in any fashion. I truly think it's a bonus to the industry that is also very unique in operation. At the same time, they better have alternative means of revenue because selling (attempting to anyhow) brass at the price isn't going to keep the power bill paid. If they want to cater to the benchrest realm that is just fine, but they can't expect to pass benchrest costs over to tactical shooters.

EDIT: Perhaps for ELR it makes sense to a degree. Any improvement in internal ballistics is key, of course.
No one has grand ideas that a off sized wildcat to become commercial even though all new parents started some where. With design comes performance . With performance comes want . With want comes manufactoring . Elr and specialized use is a market that has value to be exploited. That what is available is found lacking . With lack comes capitalizations

Reactions: jetmd
Ok thanks. I didn’t think there would be an issue. So is the 1-9 twist going to be enough even for the 230-250 a tips?
Perhaps I would consider going faster 1-8 or 1-7 for possible use of future lathe turned bullets

Well I put in an order for 60x 300PRC and 60x 375EnABLER brass from RCC. I’m deployed until the end of January so it’ll be a few before I can give an opinion.

That being said, is anyone using IMR8133 for their 300PRC? I have that and H1000. If the IMR8133 doesn’t suit me with the Enabler, then I’d like to use it with the PRC.

There is no maybe. We've chrono'ed every round with a LR and have 200 down the tube, shooting 40 to 60 rounds a day. Comparing box to box, the range of SDs has been from around 18 to 21 with a global box average SD just under 20. In spite of that, the factory ammo has performed better than it's specs would suggest. Last time out we quickly got on target at 2400 then spanked that bitch steel like a red-headed stepchild.

Goinghunting, we have a 30" Bartlein 1:9 in an AX-MC. I'm staring at a box of 230 A-Tips and thinking about how good it will shoot with handloads. With the 338LM barrel in the AX, handloads typically run in the 5 to 8 SD range.
What powder do you use for the 338lm?

I will be performing test on RCC brass with different powders N540, Retumbo, RL and H1000 to see what kind of FPS i will be getting and to see what kind of pressure point i will hit.
Will keep posted everyone.

Having a.300 PRC being built. Does anyone know if other ammo manufacturers are going to jump onboard with the cartridge? Any rumors? Sure would be nice to see allot more choices in factory ammo and brass.

Having a.300 PRC being built. Does anyone know if other ammo manufacturers are going to jump onboard with the cartridge? Any rumors? Sure would be nice to see allot more choices in factory ammo and brass.
ADG brass

Alpha unknown ammo plus othercusstom ammo too I'm sure would

Took the 300PRC to the range today to get my scope dialed in for some ELR Saturday. I need to temper my expectations....I tend to think I can always shoot 1/4 MOA...but today wasn't it...as far as 100yd groups go. I did have a nice 5 shot 3/4" group at 240 yards...and then things went down hill when my body started shaking from the chills....bones got cold and it was over.

The highlight of my day was letting two guys at the range shoot my rifle. 22.04lbs with an APA Lil'B muzzle brake...and when they pulled the trigger...the look of surprise of the non-existent recoil was priceless. The comments of before they shot of "I don't like chassis systems" to after they shot: "I gotta get me one of those...how much?".....to the look on their faces when I gave them a ballpark figure of what the rifle costs...heh....

Going back to their rifles...is probably the same feeling when I look through $3600 Glass.....and then go back to my scope....I frown :(

Good day at the range...even if it took me a few hours under the blankets with the heat on to get my body to not shake.

Took the 300PRC to the range today to get my scope dialed in for some ELR Saturday. I need to temper my expectations....I tend to think I can always shoot 1/4 MOA...but today wasn't it...as far as 100yd groups go. I did have a nice 5 shot 3/4" group at 240 yards...and then things went down hill when my body started shaking from the chills....bones got cold and it was over.

The highlight of my day was letting two guys at the range shoot my rifle. 22.04lbs with an APA Lil'B muzzle brake...and when they pulled the trigger...the look of surprise of the non-existent recoil was priceless. The comments of before they shot of "I don't like chassis systems" to after they shot: "I gotta get me one of those...how much?".....to the look on their faces when I gave them a ballpark figure of what the rifle costs...heh....

Going back to their rifles...is probably the same feeling when I look through $3600 Glass.....and then go back to my scope....I frown :(

Good day at the range...even if it took me a few hours under the blankets with the heat on to get my body to not shake.
Some day you'll learn the power of kerosene

This is what concerns me....I built my 300 PRC when the round first came out...

I really want to build a 6.5 PRC to replace my 6.5-284 as well...But I just dont know if these PRC cartridges will ever catch mainstream steam!

I dont want another 300 norma situation ..

bench

I really want to build a 6.5 PRC to replace my 6.5-284 as well...But I just dont know if these PRC cartridges will ever catch mainstream steam!

bench
You're trolling right?

Don’t be a dumbass like me and have a coyote come out at 300 yards and forget to put your ear plugs in with a 5 port beast brake. My ears are still ringing 5 hours later.

Need a suppressor

Ouch...I double up on earpro...and usually people have to remind me i'm still wearing my foamies. Nothing like being in a convenience store buying a coke and snack cake...and some chick behind the counter ask why you are wearing earplugs....like 2 hours after you left the woods....electronic muffs still attached to the top of my head...looking all dorky.

I'm up to 6 coyotes this fall season....but they weren't with the 300PRC...heh...that'd be just a tad overkill. I'd really like to draw an Elk tag though.

Reactions: Dpp and b6graham

b2lee you will be ringing steel at 2000 yards with that PRC soon!

Reactions: b2lee and Dpp
You're trolling right?
Not at all!
Who else is making brass and factory loaded ammo besides Hornady?

I know 1 other company is making 6.5 prc brass but I just don’t know how mainstream it will actually go!

I really want the 6.5 prc due to its similar ballistics to the 6.5-284 with factory ammo options....but I don’t want to end up with 2 reload only calibers that are ballistically the same thing.

bench

Not at all!
Who else is making brass and factory loaded ammo besides Hornady?

I know 1 other company is making 6.5 prc brass but I just don’t know how mainstream it will actually go!

I really want the 6.5 prc due to its similar ballistics to the 6.5-284 with factory ammo options....but I don’t want to end up with 2 reload only calibers that are ballistically the same thing.

bench
who made factory ammo for 6.5 Creed? who DOESNT make it now?

yeah it took a bit. but we already have ADG making brass. peterson may be close behind and they make ammo too. Prime. it may not be spring 2020 but both PRC cartridges are growing

bench
I can’t imagine, with all the companies starting to chamber rifles in this round, the other ammo manufacturers would let Hornady corner the market? I wish Starline would make brass for us. As DOD is using it, maybe it won’t die like the Norma?

This may not mean much, but my limited social media time is spent mostly following hunting and shooting pages. Most custom gun builders post pictures of their completed rifles before they ship them out. As of late I am seeing 6.5 and 300PRC builds being posted almost daily.

I'm in the process of having a 6.5PRC built myself. Hate em or love em one thing I do like about hornady is they stand behind their cartridges so there will at least always be 1 option lol.

Reactions: Ledzep
and 28 Nosler

until the 7PRC comes out

I have a 25% seekins cert I am saving until after shot show, if hornady announces the 7PRC I'll order a Havak in that, if not I'll order a Havak in 300PRC.

Exciting time of year!

Reactions: b6graham
which after 6 or so years is still just a wildcat?

doing a short and a long action 7mm based on existing 6.5PRC and 300PRC would be more successful quicker
7SAUM? It can be both short AND long action. Like the 6.5PRC.

This may not mean much, but my limited social media time is spent mostly following hunting and shooting pages. Most custom gun builders post pictures of their completed rifles before they ship them out. As of late I am seeing 6.5 and 300PRC builds being posted almost daily.

I'm in the process of having a 6.5PRC built myself. Hate em or love em one thing I do like about hornady is they stand behind their cartridges so there will at least always be 1 option lol.
I’m going to be working up loads for the heavies 230-250gr. Hornady’s brass leaves something to be desired. If we had more ammo manufacturers, we’d have a better brass selection. Off subject, but when 10mm auto got popular, everyone started writing to the ammo companies. It made a difference. In the last 5 years almost every manufacturer makes a 10mm load. I’ve already started contacting Federal, Remington, Sig, and Winchester about how much demand there is for this cartridge.

Reactions: clark33
I’m going to be working up loads for the heavies 230-250gr. Hornady’s brass leaves something to be desired. If we had more ammo manufacturers, we’d have a better brass selection. Off subject, but when 10mm auto got popular, everyone started writing to the ammo companies. It made a difference. In the last 5 years almost every manufacturer makes a 10mm load. I’ve already started contacting Federal, Remington, Sig, and Winchester about how much demand there is for this cartridge.

That makes total sense, if there is enough of a demand someone will step up to supply

Reactions: TripleBull
Update on Whidden dies.

A few weeks back I mentioned that I had gotten in my custom FL resizing and hydro forming dies from Whidden. Here are some notes:

- I love the FL resizing die. It is giving me spot-on consistent results on every case. For reference, I posted where my Hornady FL resizing die was giving me inconsistent results. Not so with the Whidden.
- It's tighter tolerance on the FL sizing piece than the Hornady die I was using. The first time through on all my cases I really had to put some weight into it.
- On the hydro forming die, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. The amount of hammering it takes was more than my crappy little Lee press could handle. There was also too much give on the bench where I tried it. I'm going to try and find a cement something somewhere around my house - AND - I ordered a used Rock Chucker off eBay to bear the brunt of the force.
- More to come on the hydro die after the Rock Chucker arrives.

I’ve had someone recommended 338 cip mags and someone else recommend 300 cip mags. I’m starting a build and unsure which will feed better.

I have a 300 prc ,am looking for starting charge of v565 with 212,215 or 225 bullets. Any help would be appreciated.