• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Last edited:
Since you can get it as an add-on, I decided to wait. I wanted to read around about standard versus low force options. I'll typically be around 2 or 3 thou of neck tension. You got standard?

ETA:

I've got the standard. The Wilson dies will give you great consistency from a concentricity perspective, but that still leaves neck tension consistency. When I first got the K&M press, I was surprised at the variation in seating pressure that I was getting. It was what led me to move to using a mandrel. Now, 85-90% fall within +/- 10 pounds, and those that don't get outsorted as fouling/fun rounds.

Understood. I'm a mandrel believer for the same reason. Likewise, neck bushings or custom ground sizing dies are the ticket for minimum working of the necks. For the 300 PRC, I plan to move to a custom sizing die with a bushing, hopefully this fall or winter. I've been wanting to move to and arbor press with the Wilson seating dies for a long time but the list is always longer than the wallet is fat.

For the 300 PRC, I plan to move to a custom sizing die with a bushing, hopefully this fall or winter.

I think I've got to get a new custom die. Even though my new 300 chamber was made using the same reamer, it was cut on a new CNC machine with tighter tolerances, which I'm presuming led to the slightly smaller chamber I measured (~.001 - .0015). Now, my current custom die doesn't size down enough on rounds out of the new chamber, and smaller chamber = higher pressure = faster rounds.

I took the new 300 out yesterday to put rounds 51-100 through it, loaded at the same charge weight as my last, and they were running about 30 fps faster (2889 fps vs ~2860). That took me out of the accuracy node, and caused high ES and SD, not to mention mediocre grouping.

I also tested a new hillside steel target stand I came up with. I'll be putting out a video showing how to construct (extremely easy and quick) and me hitting it hard at 850 yards to test its viability. One small modification and it will work really well. I should work on pretty much any slope that you could walk up to place it.

And oh yeah, I just got my new DIY target hit indicator to work. That's another video for later this year.

Reactions: TripleBull
Saturday the winds were about 20mph with 30mph gusts.... switchy and twitchy as hell.....the dreaded 8 o'clock and then suddenly 4 o'clock winds. They were pushing 1 out of 5 off paper and giving me an unscoreable target :(....at 1 mile.

With 1187 rounds through the barrel...my last group at 1 mile had an estimated 6 inch verticle...but my horizontal with the twitchy winds pushed one 10" off the paper for a Zero score. It would maybe have been an 18" 5 shot group....almost all horizontal.

The point being...so far....the barrel still has some long range life in it. We will see in a few weeks when it gets to go out to maybe 3000 yards....most likely 2700yds.

Anyone use a bdl setup for the 300prc? Waiting on terminus kratos 4" box to fot a wyatts bdl setup. Joel said the next batch should have the 4" accomodation. Mahalo

I took the new 300 out yesterday to put rounds 51-100 through it, loaded at the same charge weight as my last, and they were running about 30 fps faster (2889 fps vs ~2860). That took me out of the accuracy node, and caused high ES and SD, not to mention mediocre grouping.

This very thing happened to me. I went to my 2100yd range. I only had 14 rounds on the new barrel. But I chrono’d all my shots and you could watch the rounds climb in mv and slip out of the accuracy node. I only have 43 round down the barrel now but it climbed 41 FPS. It settled around into a velocity node around 2950 FPS. At which time I was getting consistent hits at 2100yds.

This very thing happened to me. I went to my 2100yd range. I only had 14 rounds on the new barrel. But I chrono’d all my shots and you could watch the rounds climb in mv and slip out of the accuracy node. I only have 43 round down the barrel now but it climbed 41 FPS. It settled around into a velocity node around 2950 FPS. At which time I was getting consistent hits at 2100yds.

My thing is a little different. This new barrel should be close in performance to the last barrel - same reamer, same smith, same manufacturer, same twist, same length. But the chamber is a bit smaller because the smith used a new CNC machine to cut it, which is more accurate and has less wobble - to the tune of about a thousandth of an inch. So I'm seeing slightly higher pressures, and thus velocity.

Reactions: JB.IC
Anyone using a universal primer decapper?
Curious which one to purchase. The one I use for my 6.5 is to small vertically

Anyone using a universal primer decapper?
Curious which one to purchase. The one I use for my 6.5 is to small vertically

Harvey Deprimer all the way. Very quick to use, less effort than a press, and you can do it anywhere. Also, the pins are like... well... steel. Because they are hard steel. I swear they feel like AR500 (don't know what they are). I "wasted" money on extra pins when I bought it because I've never come close to bending or breaking a pin.

Harvey Deprimer all the way. Very quick to use, less effort than a press, and you can do it anywhere. Also, the pins are like... well... steel. Because they are hard steel. I swear they feel like AR500 (don't know what they are). I "wasted" money on extra pins when I bought it because I've never come close to bending or breaking a pin.

Never seen that one before. I'd probably rather have that one over the Frankford Arsenal one that everyone seems to be using....eventhough the Harvey doesn't have a little catch reservoir.

Personally I use the MIghty Armory Magnum on a separate old RCBS IV press that is dedicated to non-precision functions.

Never seen that one before. I'd probably rather have that one over the Frankford Arsenal one that everyone seems to be using....eventhough the Harvey doesn't have a little catch reservoir.

Personally I use the MIghty Armory Magnum on a separate old RCBS IV press that is dedicated to non-precision functions.

I've played around with the Franklin, and it works fine, but there is an elegant simplicity to the Harvey that I love. And as to the catch reservoir, I deprime over a trashcan, and don't miss it at all.

Tip if you buy the Harvey: You don't need both large rifle and small rifle primer pins. They make both, but I just keep the small rifle in all the time and it works like a champ - no need to change.

I've played around with the Franklin, and it works fine, but there is an elegant simplicity to the Harvey that I love. And as to the catch reservoir, I deprime over a trashcan, and don't miss it at all.

Tip if you buy the Harvey: You don't need both large rifle and small rifle primer pins. They make both, but I just keep the small rifle in all the time and it works like a champ - no need to change.

Thanks!! I’m going go give the Harvey a try. It will also allow me to deprime my 375EnABELR according to the max case specs on their website.

Think I have my 300prc finally dialed in. Been a real struggle between trying to order things in stock and reloading equipment issues. I got a Browing Xbolt Max Long Range. 26" barrel 1/8 twist. Feel like I have it dialed in now.
225ELDM
Hornady Brass
Cci 250 primers
78.1gr Ramshot Magnum
Ave@2871
Sd 7
Es 18
5 Shot spread.
(Prefer 10 rounds for info, but I'm running low supplies)
Was playing with the 212ELDX with H4831 but I've ran out of 212s and H4831. So I'll be hunting with the ELDMs. Had the ELDX avg. @3001.sd 6. Not sure how the ELDx would have done at 1000+. Probably would have been fine.

Found out my old balance beam doesn't balance well anymore, that was probably the biggest thing to work out. Haven't messed with neck tension before either. Learned all about that. My velocity had 20-80fps swings. Shot up a few hundred rounds before I figured those two things out. Finally got the velocities down, but the gun wasn't shooting well. Also learned not to try for accuracy while the magneto speed is attached. Lol. My other bull barrel rifles this wasn't a problem. Accuracy was still missing. Got consistent velocity but bullets everywhere.
Muzzle brake.
I switched muzzle brakes so I could see my hits. It was my muzzle brake giving me issues. Put my suppressor on and I was good to go. Phew. Been out shooting twice a day almost daily for the last month trying to get this thing going. Next outing I will try 2000yards for giggles :)
Here is my 620yard group with the ELDMs
Screenshot_20200903-160017.png

Here is my 3 shots at 1mile. On a 20x20 target. My first time at a mile. I have a bushnell scope and ran out of dial. Was holding over. My spotter walked me in. 2nd shot was just a few inches above target.3rd shot connected. 4th and 5th hits. Wind was blowing 6mph. Dialed a lil for wind too and it worked.
Screenshot_20200903-193226.png

*Had the welder out and I patched a bunch of holes in all the targets. Before I took a photo.

@jeepguy88 what’s your impression of the Ramshot Magnum? Powders getting so hard to find and other then a little vit N 565, ramshot magnum seems to be available.

@jeepguy88 what’s your impression of the Ramshot Magnum? Powders getting so hard to find and other then a little vit N 565, ramshot magnum seems to be available.
It doable.
It's available. Lol.
I was able to order 6lbs from powder valley. Last month.
No complaints. This is my first magnum, so don't really have much to compare too. I was having trouble finding anything in stock, and saw a write up on ultimate Reloader using Ramshot Mag. Also looking at Ramshot load data they don't have published data for the 225eldm. I took a small gamable trying it out, but again couldn't find much else and I'm short on time.
Got it work for me using the 225elms. I thought the 212s didn't like the Ramshot, so I tried the H4831 before I found it was my scale giving me fits. Ran out of 212s before I could try the 212s with Ramshot. Seems like accuracy wise some people are getting a tiny bit better groups with different powders.
Overall I'm happy with it.

Reactions: Devildog
Something else worth noting, when I did my velocity test with ramshot and 225eldms I got to 78.8 and got some ejector marks. Stopped there. 78.5gr was 2999fps and 78.6gr was 3001fps. Thought 78.5 would have been the super sweet spot. I loaded 5 @ 78.5gr. 4shots where 2997-3002fps and I had 1 at 2865fps. Not sure If that was my brass prep or? Decided to go with the lower node of 2871fps.

Getting into ELR, after a long time not shooting.
Of course maybe not a great idea right now with very little ammo, but I have components enough for a season or two. Bought 300 PRC brass and Atips. Have some H1000 and H4831, and 215M primers.

I'd like to get a 300 PRC, just for ELR, not hunting.

Looking for suggestions on possible build around 2k or less? Or maybe a good rifle to start with. Rifle only, I have some good scopes.

I was thinking a Bergara HMR or LRP. Would like some suggestions on custom or semi-custom builds or other options around the $2k budget?

I used to shoot and reload a lot. Used to do CMP years ago as well, so I've got some fundamentals.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Getting into ELR, after a long time not shooting.
Of course maybe not a great idea right now with very little ammo, but I have components enough for a season or two. Bought 300 PRC brass and Atips. Have some H1000 and H4831, and 215M primers.

I'd like to get a 300 PRC, just for ELR, not hunting.

Looking for suggestions on possible build around 2k or less? Or maybe a good rifle to start with. Rifle only, I have some good scopes.

I was thinking a Bergara HMR or LRP. Would like some suggestions on custom or semi-custom builds or other options around the $2k budget?

I used to shoot and reload a lot. Used to do CMP years ago as well, so I've got some fundamentals.

Thanks
Mike

Probably not what you are looking for but a local guy bought one of these and it's a good shooter for the $:

I’m being lazy here, what’s the consensus on reloading dies? I mostly use redding or forsters dies but I don’t see 300 prc dies on forsters site, I can get redding type s which I‘m good with just not sure if the seating stem works with A tips. Saw hornady’s match grade set they look ok they have a seating stem for the A tips but no one has a .334 bushing for sale.

I’m being lazy here, what’s the consensus on reloading dies? I mostly use redding or forsters dies but I don’t see 300 prc dies on forsters site, I can get redding type s which I‘m good with just not sure if the seating stem works with A tips. Saw hornady’s match grade set they look ok they have a seating stem for the A tips but no one has a .334 bushing for sale.

I've been playing with a couple different dies lately due to my new chamber being smaller than my last. The issue I found with the Hornady dies is that they are fairly large in diameter - at least .532, with a spring back to .533 after sizing. If your chamber is at all to the small side, then this is an issue.

How about a Redding Type S with .334 or appropriate bushing. Take the decapping pin and expander ball out and throw it somewhere. Get you a mandrel die with the appropriate sized mandrel for your brass thickness and desired neck tension....then get an LE Wilson 300PRC Bullet seating arbor press die.

Want to talk about near perfect rounds...these things will eliminate any excuses for shooting poorly....atleast from that part of your reloading/shooting.

@b2lee i normally decap on a designated press with a lee decapper. So I normally take out the decaping pin and expander like you said. i don’t have any experience with a arbor press, I don’t have any worries about using one just hadnt gone down that road yet but I was on Wilson’s site early this morning and they had everything in stock. Which seating stem do you use standard or vlds for the A tips? Sounds like a good way to go, thanks for your insight.

Last edited:
@Devildog once you start seating with the LE Wilson Arbor die...and notice how perfect the out come is....you will be blown away. My LE Wilson bullet seater die is sooooo precise....when the brass goes up inside the die...it is supported on all sides. I used to check my loaded rounds on a concentricity tool....now I don't bother with the ones from the LE Wilson die...because they are spot on....everytime.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Range Report/Ladder Test

Rifle: CA MPR CF 300 PRC 26" 1:8
Suppressor: SC Omega
Scope: NF NXS
Bullets: Beger 215 HT and 245 EOL
Powder: VV N565
Brass: new ADG ran through Sinclair .002 mandrel
Primer: F210M
Chrono: MagnetoSpeed V3
Temp: 97 deg F

Berger 215 HT
CBTO: 2.930" (.020 off lands)
COAL: ~3.708"

(grs) - (fps)
77.0 - 2907
77.2 - 2920
77.4 - 2913
77.6 - Bad reading, adjusted V3
77.8 - 2956
78.0 - 2949
78.2 - 2962
78.4 - 2954
78.6 - 2979
78.8 - 2996
79.0 - 2979
79.2 - 3007
79.4 - 2996
79.6 - 3020
79.8 - 3038
80.0 - 3033
80.2 - 3038
80.4 - 3032
80.6 - 3035
80.8 - 3044
81.0 - 3065 (little harder on bolt lift, no ejector marks)
81.2 - 3095
81.4 - 3082
81.6 - 3080
81.8 - 3082
82.0 - 3103 (hard bolt lift and strong ejector marks)

4rds of 80.2: Avg=3049 SD=6.9 ES=16

Berger 245 EOL
CBTO: 2.903" (.070 off lands)
COAL: ~3.738" (longest mag would allow)

73.8 - 2751
74.0 - 2727
74.2 - 2741
74.4 - 2745
74.6 - 2753
74.8 - 2751
75.0 - 2765
75.2 - 2773
75.4 - 2787
75.6 - 2787
75.8 - 2795
76.0 - 2807
76.2 - 2829
76.4 - 2809
76.6 - 2820 (hard bolt lift and ejector marks)

I also loaded four rounds of the 215 at 80.2 just for the hell of it, see attached pic for 3 shot group at 500yds.

Seems like my nodes are around 78.0-78.2 and 80.0-80.4 for the 215. And 74.7 and 75.5 for the 245.

Going to load up 5 of each in those ranges and then mess with seating depth on the 215.

Attachments

• 215 HT.PNG
    215 HT.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 245 EOL.PNG
    245 EOL.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    725.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
@LongRangeAggie Thanks for testing out the 245 EOL's with VV 565 and ADG Brass. I know you have a 26" vs my 28" but the speeds seem disappointing to me on the 245....I push the 250 A-Tips at 2950 or so...but I'll re-frame from showing you the head of my brass.

I don't load my rounds magazine length though...because for my activities using these rounds...I'm going really really long...and can single feed them.

@LongRangeAggie Thanks for testing out the 245 EOL's with VV 565 and ADG Brass. I know you have a 26" vs my 28" but the speeds seem disappointing to me on the 245....I push the 250 A-Tips at 2950 or so...but I'll re-frame from showing you the head of my brass.

I don't load my rounds magazine length though...because for my activities using these rounds...I'm going really really long...and can single feed them.
Yeah I thought I would be up to high 2800s low 2900s with the 245. I’ll probably just stick with the 215 at 3050ish. We’ll see which groups better...

I called Berger a while back and they said to run N570 with the 245. They were getting max 2826 with Hornady brass. They said they only got max of 2731 with N565.

I called Berger a while back and they said to run N570 with the 245. They were getting max 2826 with Hornady brass. They said they only got max of 2731 with N565.

Did you ask them to send you some N570?...heh Atleast N565 is in stock now. I'm thinking of selling my Retumbo and buying a new truck ;)

Im gonna chime in since I have not found a reliable source for people who are shooting lighter projectiles such as the 208 and 215 berger. I built this rifle with the intention of it being a do it all from point blank to shooting across the country to get a deer. (Trying to be funny).

My rig is built on the following.

ARC NUCLEUS
GEISSELE SUPER 700 TRIGGER
PROOF SENDERO C.F 1-9 TWIST FINISHED AT 26"
McMillan Game Warden
Atlas Worxs BDM with CIP AICS MAGS.
Built by Phoenix Custom Rifles with their custom remer with a .140" shorter F.B compared to SAMMI.

Currently with 215s (surepressed) and RL26 at 76.5gn and CBTO of 2.665" I achieved a velocity of 2977fps and sd of 9 in a 10 round string. No pressure signs at 110* and 4400' DA I made this load just to be able to get the rifle zeroed but made 3 consecutive impacts at 630 yards with guess dope on a 10" plate. Felt like I hit the easy button on that load.

With 208 Bergers and 77.7 to 78gn H1000 with a 2.665" Was hovering in the 2925-2935fps range. I will be continuing my development today to see how the 208s will do.

Accurcy has been meh, As I had to source some real action screws since the BDM kit did not come with them as they utilize factory screws. FYI Red Hawk Rifles sells allen keyed action screws that fit factory bottom metal.

Hope the range trip today makes me grin.

Im gonna chime in since I have not found a reliable source for people who are shooting lighter projectiles such as the 208 and 215 berger.

Pretty sure there is some load data here:

Most of that came from this thread.

Reactions: RanchhandTCR
Bah...I gotta get to the range soon to dial in a load for some 250 A-Tips for 2000+ yard targets. I'm still running the same barrel until the next one is delivered. About 1200 rounds and it is still shooting acceptable vertical. I worked today on Labor Day and will work every day until Next Tuesday....then maybe a range day and some ELR next weekend.

Maybe I'll just take a guess at the powder load from a previous test...seat them long...and show up at the comp....heh

Guys I’ve had a lot of issues with some recent rifle builds: failed triggers, brass, and scope. The trifecta of issues that has killed a lot of my time.

I say all that to lend an excuse why I’m too lazy to do a quick search. I’m defeated.

BR-2 or 215m? I have both and don’t care which one I use. Will be used with VV N565

Guys I’ve had a lot of issues with some recent rifle builds: failed triggers, brass, and scope. The trifecta of issues that has killed a lot of my time.

I say all that to lend an excuse why I’m too lazy to do a quick search. I’m defeated.

BR-2 or 215m? I have both and don’t care which one I use. Will be used with VV N565

I'm currently using 215M's with VV N565 and 230 and 250gr A-Tips.

I was using 210M's and hand no problems at all. However, with the recent problems with finding primers...I've switched to 215M's...because I can buy more than I can afford. Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $29.99 locally....supposed to only buy one at a time....generally I grab a box everytime I go in...now I have a decent stockpile. Yesterday when I went in...I bet they had more than 200 boxes of 1000 primers on the shelf...and everyone of them were Large Rifle....different brands and quality...but all LRP.

So...While I haven't used any BR-2's....I haven't really seen a difference between 210's and 215's....even at the one mile targets and beyond.

I'm currently using 215M's with VV N565 and 230 and 250gr A-Tips.

I was using 210M's and hand no problems at all. However, with the recent problems with finding primers...I've switched to 215M's...because I can buy more than I can afford. Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $29.99 locally....supposed to only buy one at a time....generally I grab a box everytime I go in...now I have a decent stockpile. Yesterday when I went in...I bet they had more than 200 boxes of 1000 primers on the shelf...and everyone of them were Large Rifle....different brands and quality...but all LRP.

So...While I haven't used any BR-2's....I haven't really seen a difference between 210's and 215's....even at the one mile targets and beyond.

thats a very good point. Thanks for sharing. I need to check my sportsman’s warehouse and do the same thing. I’m running low on BR-2s but if 215m are in-stock I’ll follow the same idea.

Btw.....a little load development today at the short range gearing up for this weekends TVP ELR Invitational. Today I was trying to play with seating depths to get better groups and rezero my scope for the 250 Atips instead of the 230 Atips. I loaded up my pet load of VV N565 and seating depths of OAL 3.8565, 3.8610, 3.8680, 3.8720, 3.8770, and 3.8825.

I got group sizes of .751, .690, .450, .500, .689, and 1.01. The last one was me....probably should have been around .750.

On the 3.8680 load that shot the .450" group I got a muzzle velocity on 5 shots of: 2901, 2908, 2901, 2906, and 2905. Overall...the muzzle velocity didn't change that much between each seating depth.....28" Bartlein 1-9tw.

1200+ rounds down the tubes...this barrel has seen its best days and is fading quickly...but I'll take a 2.8SD, MV over 2900 with a 250gr A-Tip...and a sub half inch group.....that was today...tomorrow it could be like a light switch and turn off. Today was a beautiful 75F, 60% humidity, 900ft ASL, with a light 5mph 6'oclock wind.

I miss the days when this thing could shoot atleast one sub .250" group out of 5...but alas...those days are over for this tired thing. Maybe it can get me through just one last event.

Need a quick sanity check.

230 Berger Hybrids. RCC brass. 215m. N565. 30” Barlein 8twist.
about 80 rounds down the tube

71.0 - 2825fps
72.0 - 2884fps

Does that seem slow? 2960-2970fps is where I’m seeing pressure.

I've read the majority of posts here and I appreciate the time people have taken to detail their loads, experience, etc.

I'm going to join the 300 PRC club shortly. I have an AXMC coming (300WM) and Dave Tooley is spinning up a 300PRC barrel for me. Finally located some ammo, some components (N565, Berger 220s, Hornady brass) and ordered some LE Wilson "stuff." One of these days I hope to find some RL26 and I'm on too many wait lists to even remember (including for ADG brass).

I shoot regularly at Quantico to 1,035y (using a .260R) and have the ability to stretch to a mile a few times a year. I thought I'd cheat a bit and move to the 300PRC.

I may have missed it along the way, but has anyone developed the QuickLoad specs for the 300PRC?

71.0 - 2825fps
72.0 - 2884fps

What is the case volume of a fired piece of RCC brass? Nothing wrong with 2884....I'm the speed demon...but I'm starting to back my loads down some....#5 firing of ADG brass....already throwing away pieces for loose primer pockets :( Yep...time to back the 250 Atips down to a milder load of the lower 2900's....heh.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
I may have missed it along the way, but has anyone developed the QuickLoad specs for the 300PRC?

While not Quickloads...I did do the spec on the 300PRC for GRT Tools...Or Gordon's Reloading Tools....pretty dead on for my real world data as well. I also added the 230 and 250 A-Tips....one day I'll play with some Bergers....probably on my next barrel...which will be soon.

71.0 - 2825fps
72.0 - 2884fps

Most loads for a 230, N 565 are in the 76 -77 gr range getting 2865 to 2925 velocity.

Reactions: phlegethon
Most loads for a 230, N 565 are in the 76 -77 gr range getting 2865 to 2925 velocity.

Yea...but RCC brass is lathe turned brass that has a lot less internal volume available...so you have to start a lot lower and work up. With Lathe turned brass you have to be really careful with trying the hot pet loads listed online.

What is the case volume of a fired piece of RCC brass? Nothing wrong with 2884....I'm the speed demon...but I'm starting to back my loads down some....#5 firing of ADG brass....already throwing away pieces for loose primer pockets :( Yep...time to back the 250 Atips down to a milder load of the lower 2900's....heh.

no idea on the case volume. I’ll have to check when I get them when I clean up the brass.

I don’t get why so many others are getting similar speeds or faster but with 24-26” barrels and I’m running a 30”

I'll just say it's not a 300 Norma so you shouldn't expect the same velocities using 10 grs less powder. Upper 2800's are all I would expect with reasonable loads. Extreme velocities mean extremely short brass life and to some degree shorter barrel life. Nothing is free. YMMV

true. Thanks for the reminder

Reactions: Rogue2Sierra
no idea on the case volume. I’ll have to check when I get them when I clean up the brass.

I don’t get why so many others are getting similar speeds or faster but with 24-26” barrels and I’m running a 30”
On the internet everyone’s rifle shoots 2-300fps faster and group sizes are at least 50% lower than you usually see in reality.