• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Update on Lapua vs. ADG brass:

I finally got to go out and run my first 50 Lapua-cased rounds through my 300. Just been too freakin' busy with "real life"

Specifics:
- Lapua virgin brass
- RL26 powder
- Berger 230 Hybrids (also some 245s)

Initial thoughts:

- My go-to load with ADG was 72.3 gr of RL 26. That got me 2865ish in average velocity.
- To get the same today with Lapua, it took 73.5. I also had 4 rounds loaded with ADG @ 72.3 to validate conditions, and I got the expected results.
- As I was working up in 5-round groups, the SD started great at 72.3 gr (yes, I started at my go-to as I knew Lapua has more capacity) - it was 6.7, but only 2790 fps. It was a one-hole group too. Would be a great load to play with if it wasn't so damn slow. Then the SD ballooned, topping 10 on all other loads (even 15+ on one) until I got to the aforementioned 73.5 gr, where it dropped ever so nicely back down into exactly the range I was getting with ADG at that velocity.
- One big caveat to the above statement: this was all with virgin brass. Virgin brass with ADG got me significantly higher SDs (10s, if memory serves), before it dropped back down to the expected 6-7 range for once-fired+
- Now I can't wait to get these 50 cases prepped and back out to the range to test.
- I also played with 245s, but didn't go high enough in the ladder. However, similar results were seen vs the slow group with the 230s at the ~2800 mark where I had a clean 1-hole group and a 5.5 SD. Too. Damn. Slow.
- I had loaded to a max of 73.8 - shame on me. I'll go into the 74s next go and hope the extra case capacity from the Lapua cases will enable me to get to the ~2860 range with this bullet. Previous attempts with ADG stopped me with a heavy bolt lift just short. If I can get to my velocity sweet spot with 245s - oh happy day.

TLDR:

- Initial results from Lapua are showing as superior vs. the same with ADG (virgin brass) - more to come after I test with once-fired.
- Accuracy from the virgin Lapua brass was exceptional.

Another update on Lapua vs. ADG - this time from the brass prep side of things:

- On depriming (hand deprimer), I found that the Lapua brass takes significantly less force to get the primer out vs. ADG. What does this mean? No clue (yet).
- While annealing, I found that the ADG brass took 1.8 seconds in my Annie Annealer to get the neck and very top of the shoulder to 750 deg F (Tempilaq). The Lapua took 2.5.

This leads me to believe (though I am not sure) that the Lapua brass is a more dense alloy. Weighing cases, I found just north of a 2 gr difference (~255 for Lapua, ~257 for ADG), but given the volume difference, I think the density increase supposition holds true.

Great, more unobtanium products. its like they only do small batch limited runs. they supposedly do 6.5 PRC also. Ive never seen any.

Reactions: STLSteve86
Great, more unobtanium products. its like they only do small batch limited runs. they supposedly do 6.5 PRC also. Ive never seen any.

Good that they're getting in, though, because they will at least alleviate some of the demand on Lapua and ADG. I'm sold on Lapua and anything that makes it more available is a good thing.

I'm in the process of building a 300 PRC with an Origin LA and Proof prefit (or at least that's the plan). So far I have been able to track down everything but some RL26 or H1000. I did get Ramshot Magnum to at least get me going though.

If anyone is looking, I found brass at Rockin S Precision in OK. Saw a random comment online and found my way to his FB page and basic website. I called and he said he has 3000+ ADG and a bunch of Lapua 300 PRC. The 100/ct boxes of Lapua were actually a bit cheaper than 50/ct boxes of ADG. He also had 245gr Berger EOL's in stock so I got a couple boxes of those to try out. Ordered Monday and the box showed up in ND today already, so I am pretty pleased.

f1SFmp5h.jpg

I'm in the process of building a 300 PRC with an Origin LA and Proof prefit (or at least that's the plan). So far I have been able to track down everything but some RL26 or H1000. I did get Ramshot Magnum to at least get me going though.

If anyone is looking, I found brass at Rockin S Precision in OK. Saw a random comment online and found my way to his FB page and basic website. I called and he said he has 3000+ ADG and a bunch of Lapua 300 PRC. The 100/ct boxes of Lapua were actually a bit cheaper than 50/ct boxes of ADG. He also had 245gr Berger EOL's in stock so I got a couple boxes of those to try out. Ordered Monday and the box showed up in ND today already, so I am pretty pleased.

f1SFmp5h.jpg

Will they ship?

I was perusing their Facebook page. It looks like they will but you have to call to make an order because they're still revamping their web page. Everything seems legit otherwise, but don't know for sure.

I talked to Andy on the phone for a good 15 minutes or so about components, what else he carries, the crazy weather up here, tractors, gardens, a bit of hunting and ranching in western ND, and probably more I'm forgetting. Super friendly and easy to talk to, so I had no problem handing over my CC number to him over the phone. He just had me text him my address while we were on the phone, and then responded the next day with a picture of the tracking number for my shipment.

Has anyone seen any 375 Ruger brass locally?

(My local sportsman’s only ever had 3 boxes and I was only able to get 2. Can’t find available anywhere online other one site that appears to be a scam.)

Would you be willing to ship if you find it still in stock?

My local sportsman only has 1 bag/box of Hornady 375Ruger brass.....I think I sold every piece of 375 Ruger brass in the country in a week...heh. I've seen it come back in stock sporadically.

Reactions: drummachinejoe
My local sportsman only has 1 bag/box of Hornady 375Ruger brass.....I think I sold every piece of 375 Ruger brass in the country in a week...heh. I've seen it come back in stock sporadically.
Ahh, okay.
Haha very true! Thanks to you I got excellent results and good value. I bought it back when you started the conversion thread.

Wish I had snagged all that I could find at the time…oh well, hindsight. Haven’t seen any more in months.

Reactions: b2lee
I've switched over to Lapua brass now...but I still keep 100 pieces of the 375 Ruger brass. My opinion is...the 375 Ruger brass that Hornady makes is FAR superior than the 300PRC brass they make. Should be the same...but it isn't.

Reactions: drummachinejoe
I've switched over to Lapua brass now...but I still keep 100 pieces of the 375 Ruger brass. My opinion is...the 375 Ruger brass that Hornady makes is FAR superior than the 300PRC brass they make. Should be the same...but it isn't.
Only have 100 pieces of once fired Lapua.

Yeah, that’s so strange that the 375 is so much better. I remember seeing the blown/overstretched primer pockets.

Guess I’ll just keep looking out for whatever I can get Lapua, Hornady 375, & now Peterson.

I've switched over to Lapua brass now...

I finally got around to measuring seating forces of my fired Lapua brass:

Average: 38.2 lb
Standard Deviation: 1.67 lb

Compare that to the measurements I took with ADG for my Mandrel Musings thread where, for non-neck-turned cases, I got an average of 44.7 lbs and an SD of 4.37 lbs.

That's a large difference. Unfortunately, I did not get to shoot them today because, well, shooting nearly 50 37XC rounds takes both a lot of time, and a toll on your shoulder.

EDIT: And this is why when Lapua makes a case for a particular rifle, you frikkin' shoot Lapua.

Anneal your brass...then spray the necks and coat the bullets with Hornady OneShot....you can get single digit seating force...heh.....but your MV will drop.

I honed the inner necks with a bore brush and emory cloth on a hand drill once a while back. I had read about annealing possibly causing a red oxide that could interfere with neck tension. They were fully prepped annealed/neck turned/mandrel sized etc.. so the honing was the final step. I did it mainly to see what works and to see how jewel smooth I could get them. They did seat noticeably easier, but I can't remember the results. It was more of a curiosity/learning process.

I got the WFT trimmer the other day, seems to work great, I'm hoping that will help my next round SDs. I'm just soooo excited about brass prep...

Hello Guys it seems impossible to find 245gr berger LR. Any luck anyone?

They should start staying in stock a little better. Some of us were buying them by the pallet to get through this season. When you can shoot up to 5k of them in a year....you tend to grab them by the pallet.

Reactions: LakuNoc
I'm in Europe; based on what actually exists to buy here, I'll be getting a 300 PRC semi-custom made soon out of a Remington 700 action.

Purpose is long range target shooting, but may also hunt with it if I'll be in a fixed position like a high seat.

Plan on using the 225 ELDMs, but can't rule out wanting to use something heavier later on.

Any advice for barrel length and twist rate? Was thinking of 26 inch, 1-in-9 but I'm open to ideas.

I'm in Europe; based on what actually exists to buy here, I'll be getting a 300 PRC semi-custom made soon out of a Remington 700 action.

Purpose is long range target shooting, but may also hunt with it if I'll be in a fixed position like a high seat.

Plan on using the 225 ELDMs, but can't rule out wanting to use something heavier later on.

Any advice for barrel length and twist rate? Was thinking of 26 inch, 1-in-9 but I'm open to ideas.

26" and 1:9 is pretty standard and a solid option. It'll shoot up to the 230s atips and keep them adequate stable. Some folks here like the 245s/250s I don't think they're are best served in 300 prc but if you want to shoot those or copper solids you'll want to opt for a 1:8 twist.

Otherwise the barrel length you're comfortable with to achieve the tentative velocity you're trying to target and 1:9 will do what you need it to do.

Was thinking of 26 inch, 1-in-9 but I'm open to ideas.

This would be right on - a little longer (heavier) than you may want if you're going to hunt with it, but for targets it would be great. As @Andrevius says, for heavier solids, you might want to go with a 1:8. My next barrel (currently on order) is a gain twist 1:9 - 1:8. I'm just not sure of how long this bullet shortage will be, and I want the option of going heavy on the solids.

If there is no disadvantage in using a 1-in-8 I might just get a 1-in-8...... is there any disadvantage?

On the action, due to supply shortages of firearms parts in Europe, I may need to find a good condition used donor rifle and get it rebarrelled. Am I correct in thinking that if I buy a Remington 700 300 Win Mag, I can pull the action/bolt and use that for a 300 PRC?

Edit - I guess only the action needs to be good condition on the donor rifle.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking that if I buy a Remington 700 300 Win Mag, I can pull the action/bolt and use that for a 300 PRC?

I rebarreled a 300 WM to my first 300 PRC. As long as you're replacing everything else, then it should be fine. It's just that tolerances, machining, etc. on a base R700 action can be suspect.

Are you willing to bleed gold coins?

It's ridiculous. And 230s almost never pop, and when they do, it's ugly. When I rebarrel, it'll be about when I run out and it will be solid time.

300 PRC build finally completed. Barrel break in done. Now starting up the load process and looking for some advice. It's a hunting rifle, so really want to stick to a hunting bullet if I can.

I've almost got too many component combo options that it's giving me analysis paralysis ;) . Here's what I've got. What combo would you guys start with keeping in mind I have crap tons of it all?
Bullets: Berger 205, 210. Hornady ELD-X 212, 220.
Powder: H1000, Retumbo, RL-26, N565, N568, N570

I see a lot of loads with the 215 and 230s, but not as many with the above bullets. Game dies with target bullets all the time...I know...but I'd still prefer a bullet designed with some terminal game performance in mind. I'm trying to track down some 245 EOLs, but no luck yet.

300 PRC build finally completed. Barrel break in done. Now starting up the load process and looking for some advice. It's a hunting rifle, so really want to stick to a hunting bullet if I can.

I've almost got too many component combo options that it's giving me analysis paralysis ;) . Here's what I've got. What combo would you guys start with keeping in mind I have crap tons of it all?
Bullets: Berger 205, 210. Hornady ELD-X 212, 220.
Powder: H1000, Retumbo, RL-26, N565, N568, N570

I see a lot of loads with the 215 and 230s, but not as many with the above bullets. Game dies with target bullets all the time...I know...but I'd still prefer a bullet designed with some terminal game performance in mind. I'm trying to track down some 245 EOLs, but no luck yet.

A friend of mine just got Berger 205s for hunting and is doing load dev now. So far, so good - much better than Hornady. Another uses 214gr Hammer Hunters and likes them quite a bit. They have the benefit of being available, if more expensive than Berger list price.

EDIT: As for powder, RL-26 is the best, imho. H1000 can work, but is harder to find. A friend uses N565 and likes it, but I have no direct experience. No one I know has used N568 yet. Retumbo is seemingly the hardest of the bunch to find.

A friend of mine just got Berger 205s for hunting and is doing load dev now. So far, so good - much better than Hornady. Another uses 214gr Hammer Hunters and likes them quite a bit. They have the benefit of being available, if more expensive than Berger list price.

EDIT: As for powder, RL-26 is the best, imho. H1000 can work, but is harder to find. A friend uses N565 and likes it, but I have no direct experience. No one I know has used N568 yet. Retumbo is seemingly the hardest of the bunch to find.
568 is extremely good. Best es and SD I've found. Not the flame thrower 570 is, but what's 100fps when yer consistency is as shown.
230 atips 31 inch Bart 5r.
20220601_161859.jpg

60 rounds later....
20220430_130352.jpg

What's everyone using for trimming the 300 PRC brass? I have been using a Forster Original with a 3-way cutter and drill adapter for all of my other rifle cases for many years and it's been easy to hit a +/- 0.001" number. Seems that it's too short for the 300 PRC cases though.

At first I went right to looking at the Forster Classic that'll handle the longer cases and let me reuse my .30 cal 3-way cutter and drill adapter. I also looked a bit at the WFT/WFT2 and Giraud Tri-Way, but didn't see that caliber listed for the Tri-Way. While I'd like to jump into the full no Giraud, I don't think I'm quite to that point yet.

What's everyone using for trimming the 300 PRC brass? I have been using a Forster Original with a 3-way cutter and drill adapter for all of my other rifle cases for many years and it's been easy to hit a +/- 0.001" number. Seems that it's too short for the 300 PRC cases though.

I use the Forster with the 3-way head, but I seem to remember having to get the longer base and moving the parts over to it. Been so long, I can't remember.

Redding should offer a VLD seating stem, I was using 338 cal A-Tips for a short time w no issues w a Redding VLD seating stem.

Just a small report for load development. Shot the NF ELR Match this weekend with my 300 PRC. From the beginning I had to work with non ideal powders but landed something that worked out quite well.

71.5gr of 7828ssc with 230 atips gave me 2850fps from a 1:8 28" Bartlein with the light ejector swipe, no flat primers or heavy bolt lift in Lapua brass using Fed 210M Primers. 6/14 SD/ES averaging .4-.5 at 100.

Landed fair number of shots on the clock at most stages including two 1 mile target stages and a couple others in the 1500-1700 range. Hammered really well in the 1400s and in but had to work harder further.

78.5 gr of Ramshot Mag is showing some promise in the 2925 range need to do some seating depth testing or just finally buy a tuner as well as LRT in 88 range is giving me 3k with good spreads, but freaking can't get it to group worth a damn so more seating depth or a tuner there when I run out of 7828scc but for now I'm content with that and it's a dream to shoot. Recoil doesn't feel much off from braked 308.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleBull and BCX
Just a small report for load development. Shot the NF ELR Match this weekend with my 300 PRC. From the beginning I had to work with non ideal powders but landed something that worked out quite well.

71.5gr of 7828ssc with 230 atips gave me 2850fps from a 1:8 28" Bartlein with the light ejector swipe, no flat primers or heavy bolt lift in Lapua brass using Fed 210M Primers. 6/14 SD/ES averaging .4-.5 at 100.

Landed shots on the clock at multiple stages including two 1 mile target stages and a couple others in the 1500-1700 range. Hammered really well in the 1400s and in but had to work harder further.

78.5 gr of Ramshot Mag is showing some promise in the 2925 range need to do some seating depth testing or just finally buy a tuner as well as LRT in 86 range is giving me 3k with go spreads but freaking can't get it to group worth a damn so more seating depth there when I run out of 7828scc but for now I'm content with that and it's a dream to shoot. Recoil doesn't feel much off from braked 308.

How was the wind during the match?

Landed shots on the clock at multiple stages including two 1 mile target stages and a couple others in the 1500-1700 range. Hammered really well in the 1400s and in but had to work harder further.

78.5 gr of Ramshot Mag is showing some promise in the 2925 range need to do some seating depth testing or just finally buy a tuner as well as LRT in 86 range is giving me 3k with go spreads but freaking can't get it to group worth a damn so more seating depth there when I run out of 7828scc but for now I'm content with that and it's a dream to shoot. Recoil doesn't feel much off from braked 308.

Do you have a copy of the receipt for your PDM from Applied Ballistics for this load data?....if so, could you post the pic?

Do you have a copy of the receipt for your PDM from Applied Ballistics for this load data?....if so, could you post the pic?
I wish! They had to turn away a lot of people that were signed up including myself because of time.

They had dope validation targets at 540, 1265, 1540, and 1810. So I trued up my 4DOF app the traditional way.

I had heard A Tips needed a special stem? True?
I've got a Redding seater and wilson in line seater for the PRC.
I am loading 230gr A-Tips w/o the seating stem with no issues using Redding dies. Not sure what value the stem provides? I am shooting .2-.4 sized groups.

Reactions: Taylorbok
What load would you use for targets 700-1100 yds? Both loadings group around .350" or less

Barrett Mk22 300 PRC, 26" 1:8 Proof CF Barrel

230gr Hornady Atips
76gr RL26
2900 FPS
SD 6-8
or

208 Berger LRHT
78.5gr RL26
3055 FPS
SD 10ish