• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

You may want to try some N570 or Retumbo....I didn't have any luck with Retumbo...but I could revisit since I have a longer barrel now.... 29.5".....RL-33 was a no go for me. I'm pushing the 245's over 2900fps with 75.0gr of RL-26....and I get heavy bolt lift on certain pieces of brass that have 8x reloads on them.

Thanks - I just got 12 lbs of N570 (ostensibly for my new 37XC build) that I'll run some tests. This is another case of my small chamber biting me.

I was shooting factory and noted higher velocities than normal on the labradar. The 4th shot I pierced a primer so I took the rifle off the line. I got home and took the barrel off the AI and found a factory round would not drop freely into the chamber. My bore scope confirmed I have a significant carbon build up in a barrel with 354rds. I have been using bore eliminator and an occasional nylon brush, but clearly I need to up up my cleaning regiment.

I try and use my bore scope sparingly but I broke it out to find not only is their carbon in the first 6 or so inches of the barrel, I have a nice carbon ring. Anyways, I ordered some bore eliminator C4 and JB paste and until it arrived, used a gentle cleaning cycle and soaked the barrel overnight in kroil.

The C4, and a kroil soaked patch with some JB took care of the ring and carbon, so a factory round will now drop into the chamber un-impeded.

Pics show the pierced primer and the small piece of the cup that gets blown back into the AIs bolt assembly.

Attachments

• Pierced Primer1.jpg
    Pierced Primer1.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 64
  • pierced primer.jpg
    pierced primer.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Evlshnngns
I was shooting factory and noted higher velocities than normal on the labradar. The 4th shot I pierced a primer so I took the rifle off the line. I got home and took the barrel off the AI and found a factory round would not drop freely into the chamber. My bore scope confirmed I have a significant carbon build up in a barrel with 354rds. I have been using bore eliminator and an occasional nylon brush, but clearly I need to up up my cleaning regiment.

I try and use my bore scope sparingly but I broke it out to find not only is their carbon in the first 6 or so inches of the barrel, I have a nice carbon ring. Anyways, I ordered some bore eliminator C4 and JB paste and until it arrived, used a gentle cleaning cycle and soaked the barrel overnight in kroil.

The C4, and a kroil soaked patch with some JB took care of the ring and carbon, so a factory round will now drop into the chamber un-impeded.

Pics show the pierced primer and the small piece of the cup that gets blown back into the AIs bolt assembly.

You take any pictures of the ring with the bore scope before and after?

This is about as clean as I can ever get mine. Kicking myself for not taking a picture before shooting it.

Attachments

• 3DDFAD85-031F-47E7-8B48-E5A8CE4E03B2.jpeg
    3DDFAD85-031F-47E7-8B48-E5A8CE4E03B2.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: BCX
You take any pictures of the ring with the bore scope before and after?

This is about as clean as I can ever get mine. Kicking myself for not taking a picture before shooting it.
No, I didn't capture any pictures. Once I saw the ring and carbon in the grooves, I knew I needed to do better cleaning. As I said, a factory round would not drop into the chamber without force. It was hitting the carbon ring at the throat / neck, which was causing the higher pressures.

FWIW - I'll add, I'm not a slave to the borescope. I use it sparingly as you could easily get lost thinking there are issues when there are none. I only used the scope to confirm the carbon ring and build up, cleaned it out and then scoped it again to verify it was gone.

ETA - I also bought a Gen III FB. Anyone running one on an AI? Looks like APA also really upped their packaging game.

ETA II - Mailman also delivered another goodie I'm going to give a try. Anyone using an E-Dope card?

Attachments

• FB2.jpg
    FB2.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 56
  • FB1.jpg
    FB1.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 57
  • eDope.jpg
    eDope.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Wanted to post this here before it hit the for sale section. Brand new, never used. PM me if you’re interested. EDIT: SOLD.

Attachments

• 4CE2908F-7038-4338-B107-6A6152937BF3.jpeg
    4CE2908F-7038-4338-B107-6A6152937BF3.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 67E6BF86-46A0-48AE-8F16-75EC23361A8D.jpeg
    67E6BF86-46A0-48AE-8F16-75EC23361A8D.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 50
  • A5CC7DE8-E3AD-419F-8082-628AF4FD6C19.jpeg
    A5CC7DE8-E3AD-419F-8082-628AF4FD6C19.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
No, I didn't capture any pictures. Once I saw the ring and carbon in the grooves, I knew I needed to do better cleaning. As I said, a factory round would not drop into the chamber without force. It was hitting the carbon ring at the throat / neck, which was causing the higher pressures.

FWIW - I'll add, I'm not a slave to the borescope. I use it sparingly as you could easily get lost thinking there are issues when there are none. I only used the scope to confirm the carbon ring and build up, cleaned it out and then scoped it again to verify it was gone.

ETA - I also bought a Gen III FB. Anyone running one on an AI? Looks like APA also really upped their packaging game.

ETA II - Mailman also delivered another goodie I'm going to give a try. Anyone using an E-Dope card?
I run a gen 3 Fat Bastard on my 300 PRC it works very well, loud as hell but works well.
eDope? I just broke down and bought a wrist coach thingy.

Reactions: Defender3
H1000 in stock at Midsouth

Edit: aaaand two minutes later it’s gone.

Last edited:
Was it over priced?

We need some sort of group buy fund that when one of us sees something in stock they buy as many as possible then redistribute it accordingly.

Was it over priced?

We need some sort of group buy fund that when one of us sees something in stock they buy as many as possible then redistribute it accordingly.
Almost everywhere is limiting to small quantities per order. Like one 8lb jug or 5 one lb jugs.

Ok this might be a dumb question but I prefer shorter barrels. Is anybody running a 300prc in a 22” or shorter barrel? What kind of velocity are you getting? How do you like it?

Been working up a load for my 300PRC. 28" 9 twist ss proof m24 with archimedes action sitting in a KRG X-ray. Had a little issue with the heavy barrel so I made a heavy bag rider and cerakoted it. Added 1-lb 10-oz. Much better.
20210328_110148.jpg

I did a load workup with Rl26 and H1000. With 220gr ELDX that I have. I loaded in .3gr increments a grain over book max at first. Went a full 2 grains over with H1000. Never hit any pressure signs.
20210328_114007.jpg

The rl26 loads shoot better than factory eldx and eldm ammo. They shoot like shit to be honest. 5 round es 102 with 225gr Hornaday ELDM'S.
20210328_115827.jpg

I decided to adjust my turret to not shoot out my point of aim with the H1000.
I have a decent node with Rl26 between 75.1 and 76gr so I loaded up 4, 5 round lots in .1gr difference 75.2 to 75.6gr. 75.4 was great es 11, SD 4 avg 2960fps. Grouping around. 75" which was all me. Been a while since I've shot anything but prone and my bench shooting has suffered. Time to do some seating depth groups and set a load. I also have a node with H1000 I need to work up.
I'm loving the 300PRC. Hopefully I can find more reloading supplies to continue loving it.

Another set of dies going up for sale. PM if interested. Shoulder bump gauge, standard stem, 215 hybrid stem, and 230 Atip stem. $250 shipped.

Attachments

• 7D934804-5272-4A45-9E35-338F7683FEA4.jpeg
    7D934804-5272-4A45-9E35-338F7683FEA4.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 501DBA87-5EAA-4294-AE09-290C06102273.jpeg
    501DBA87-5EAA-4294-AE09-290C06102273.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 43
  • C4D2404A-F0DC-4124-B2F2-30D3D5E806EC.jpeg
    C4D2404A-F0DC-4124-B2F2-30D3D5E806EC.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 46
Almost everywhere is limiting to small quantities per order. Like one 8lb jug or 5 one lb jugs.

When I posted that up, I managed to get an order in for 10 pounds at $35 a pop. Would rather buy an 8 pounder for over $100 less but beggars can’t be choosers these days...

Reactions: themightytimmah
Was it over priced?

It came out to $400 for 10lbs after everything. Not great but not terrible... If I don't need it I can easily bring it to my local club match and get what I paid for it back.

Redistribution is problematic since shipping hazmat items is a huge hassle.

Reactions: JBarton
Firearms World let me put an 8lb jug of H1000 in the cart and proceed to checkout. about 274 plus shipping & tax a little over $300. I don't need any so just pasting this on.

Firearms World let me put an 8lb jug of H1000 in the cart and proceed to checkout. about 274 plus shipping & tax a little over $300. I don't need any so just pasting this on.

Curious if anyone has actually purchased anything from them. It’s a little suspect to me that they only take Zelle and Bitcoin as payment.

Sorry guys I didn’t make it to the payment part, thanks.

FWIW, I emailed them to confirm that they actually have it in stock and received a response confirming that it was.

I’ve never used Zelle but I understand that it pretty much just a PayPal equivalent. Maybe there is some buyer protection? Bitcoin is always shady but there seem to be more places accepting it as a legitimate currency, especially after the past wacky year.

If I hadn’t managed to get my order in with Midsouth, I might have tried it and ended up saving $50 with the 8-pound jug.

I’ve never used Zelle but I understand that it pretty much just a PayPal equivalent. Maybe there is some buyer protection?
Zelle explicitly does NOT have any payment protection. I can’t guarantee that the shop is a scam, of course, but only taking payment options that make it super easy to scam people is sketch AF.

Reactions: 6.5SH and dwent
Zelle explicitly does NOT have any payment protection. I can’t guarantee that the shop is a scam, of course, but only taking payment options that make it super easy to scam people is sketch AF.

Last time I’ll bring this up, before we all get back to talking about our illustrious PRC cartridge, but wanted to update to save anyone else the heartache that was considering this.

A friend tried to put an order in with the aforementioned place and got some email in the middle of the night about his payment not going through and wanting him to submit the order again. He turned the other way and ran. I don’t think he’s out any money but this place is shady as all get out.

The website has only been up three months and on the front end it says they take Visa, Apple Pay, PayPal, etc... but when you go to pay it’s just Zelle and bitcoin. I think probably what is most suspect is the fact that they’ve had an 8 pound jug of H1000 listed as in stock for as long as they have. Going to call this one a 100% scam....

What a scam, they're probably making $$millions$$.
They always have everything in stock.
And they dont charge Hazmat.

Screenshot_20210403-072003_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Who is running N570 w Berger 220?

I thought I'd drop a note for those that followed my 375 Ruger brass to 300 PRC conversion.

This past weekend I shot a benchrest match at TVP using the 375 Ruger brass in Match 1 of the day. 32F and wind was like 18-20mph and switching 180degress when I shot.....shooting in Tactical division we had 24 shooters. In very tough conditions I printed a couple of nice groups and won for Score in Match 1. The 375 Ruger brass gave me a couple of 7" groups and could have been magical if not for the conditions.

Match 2 of the day I shot some Hornady 300PRC brass that was pulled from the recycle bucket...due to having enlarged primer pockets. I used the new die I've been working on and won Match 2 by Group Size...with a couple of 7" groups in very tough conditions.

These tests showed me what is possible on both issues. I was very happy with the results of each test.

My 1 mile matches didn't go so well...but that was a failure on me not being able to read the wind switches good enough and couldn't keep 5 on paper in those conditions. I'd never seen a 2.5mil switch....until then.

So...in these trying times of shortages....I've tested two work arounds...and both were very successful.

The 3 directional wind at TV is crazy but good practice.

Slawson sending you a PM w my address for brass testing.

Looking for recommendations on a bore guide for Bergara Ridge Rifle in 300 PRC. Thanks

Has anybody tried Hodgdon Us 869?
Slim pickings anymore. Every time you think things might be leveling out you see or here of more bs and people reacting crazy again. I'm about out of powder and bullets so I guess I won't be shooting as much as I like. I've looked at the US869. It looks like it could work, hell it is listed for most of the hotrod nosler rounds. Curious to see if anyone has tried it.

Slim pickings anymore. Every time you think things might be leveling out you see or here of more bs and people reacting crazy again. I'm about out of powder and bullets so I guess I won't be shooting as much as I like. I've looked at the US869. It looks like it could work, hell it is listed for most of the hotrod nosler rounds. Curious to see if anyone has tried it.
I snagged an 8# for under $200 the other day so we'll see. I couldnt find any info on use in 300PRC online though it is interesting that it's listed for all the big magnums and then the 6.5 PRC of all things.

N570 available.

edit: Lasted ~15 minutes. Hope ya'll got some if you needed it.

That’s one difference from the Obama components rush.
The really slow magnum powders were a bit easier to find than the common 3031-4831 range powders I seem to remember.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Does anyone have a couple Hornady 300PRC cases that have bad primer pockets they could donate? My brother cannot find a modified case for his 300PRC rifle and I was going to make one for him. I would loan him mine but he lives about 7 hours away so I figured I would drill and tap a case if I can find one and give it to him. I do not have any with bad primer pockets yet and really don't want to use what limited amount I do have that are good.

Thanks
Jeremy

Does anyone have a couple Hornady 300PRC cases that have bad primer pockets they could donate? My brother cannot find a modified case for his 300PRC rifle and I was going to make one for him. I would loan him mine but he lives about 7 hours away so I figured I would drill and tap a case if I can find one and give it to him. I do not have any with bad primer pockets yet and really don't want to use what limited amount I do have that are good.

Thanks
Jeremy

Ideally, you would want to make a modified case out of brass fired from the same chamber and bumped to whatever you normally bump it to.

At a glance it doesn’t seem like it would matter because when it’s in the chamber you’re referencing the distance between the shoulder and the ogive when you’re pushing the bullet up in the tool, but when you take it out to measure it and find your seating depth you’re measuring from the cartridge base to ogive, which is going to vary in most cases between chambers.

This is why the modified Hornady cases aren’t ideal and it’s better to make your own (from brass sized for your chamber).

The other idea, which I do because I’ve never bother to buy the obscure tap size needed, is to just note any difference between the modified case and your own cases and account for that difference in your seating depth measurements.

The Hornady tool has some weird threads. When I had one made for 264 Norma the guy had me resize fired brass then he said the tap and die cost a couple hundred dollars to make the threads but he already had one . Then he built a neck expander that would allow the bullet to slide but good fit.Wanted to charge me $5.00 lol. Was way more that I thought was needed. Love watching that old guy mill stuff and make it look easy.