300 PRC update

JBarton

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Wyoming
Has anybody tried Hodgdon Us 869?
Slim pickings anymore. Every time you think things might be leveling out you see or here of more bs and people reacting crazy again. I'm about out of powder and bullets so I guess I won't be shooting as much as I like. I've looked at the US869. It looks like it could work, hell it is listed for most of the hotrod nosler rounds. Curious to see if anyone has tried it.

2aBaCa

Humans are amusing
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Behind enemy lines Northern Commiefornia
Slim pickings anymore. Every time you think things might be leveling out you see or here of more bs and people reacting crazy again. I'm about out of powder and bullets so I guess I won't be shooting as much as I like. I've looked at the US869. It looks like it could work, hell it is listed for most of the hotrod nosler rounds. Curious to see if anyone has tried it.
I snagged an 8# for under $200 the other day so we'll see. I couldnt find any info on use in 300PRC online though it is interesting that it's listed for all the big magnums and then the 6.5 PRC of all things.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    N570 available.

edit: Lasted ~15 minutes. Hope ya'll got some if you needed it.

That’s one difference from the Obama components rush.
    The really slow magnum powders were a bit easier to find than the common 3031-4831 range powders I seem to remember.

Reactions: themightytimmah

JBarton

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 1, 2020
    Wyoming
    Does anyone have a couple Hornady 300PRC cases that have bad primer pockets they could donate? My brother cannot find a modified case for his 300PRC rifle and I was going to make one for him. I would loan him mine but he lives about 7 hours away so I figured I would drill and tap a case if I can find one and give it to him. I do not have any with bad primer pockets yet and really don't want to use what limited amount I do have that are good.

Thanks
    Jeremy

dwent

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2019
    Does anyone have a couple Hornady 300PRC cases that have bad primer pockets they could donate? My brother cannot find a modified case for his 300PRC rifle and I was going to make one for him. I would loan him mine but he lives about 7 hours away so I figured I would drill and tap a case if I can find one and give it to him. I do not have any with bad primer pockets yet and really don't want to use what limited amount I do have that are good.

Thanks
    Jeremy

Ideally, you would want to make a modified case out of brass fired from the same chamber and bumped to whatever you normally bump it to.

At a glance it doesn’t seem like it would matter because when it’s in the chamber you’re referencing the distance between the shoulder and the ogive when you’re pushing the bullet up in the tool, but when you take it out to measure it and find your seating depth you’re measuring from the cartridge base to ogive, which is going to vary in most cases between chambers.

This is why the modified Hornady cases aren’t ideal and it’s better to make your own (from brass sized for your chamber).

The other idea, which I do because I’ve never bother to buy the obscure tap size needed, is to just note any difference between the modified case and your own cases and account for that difference in your seating depth measurements.

nealm66

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 14, 2020
    The Hornady tool has some weird threads. When I had one made for 264 Norma the guy had me resize fired brass then he said the tap and die cost a couple hundred dollars to make the threads but he already had one . Then he built a neck expander that would allow the bullet to slide but good fit.Wanted to charge me $5.00 lol. Was way more that I thought was needed. Love watching that old guy mill stuff and make it look easy.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I rushed through checkout so fast I forgot to upgrade shipping. Thanks for letting us know!

Hopefully you have it in time to fireform and shoot on the 15th. I'll spin my practice barrel on and run through 100 and see what differences there are in case volume/muzzle velocity changes....and just get a general feel for primer pockets...and shoulder bump changes in my current die set up.

phlegethon

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Hopefully you have it in time to fireform and shoot on the 15th. I'll spin my practice barrel on and run through 100 and see what differences there are in case volume/muzzle velocity changes....and just get a general feel for primer pockets...and shoulder bump changes in my current die set up.
    Maybe. It will be close. I'll still prep the neck turned Hornady just in case.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    Already received shipping notification on this brass....was kinda expecting the BIG C...or cancellation....can't wait to check some out in my hands.

bunny too

Just a cook
    Minuteman
    May 5, 2020
    Wyoming
    Mine came today
    NztI7Jd.jpg

Bradv86

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    May 18, 2019
    TX

8lb gone - 6 minutes.

1lb gone - 23 minutes.

Hope ya got it if you needed it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: phlegethon

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I see the following was posted on Unknown Munitions website:

DESCRIPTION​

ADG will not run any standard case head cases for 2021, this means no Creedmoors, 308, etc.

ADG’s production schedule UPDATED 27APR2021:

6.5 PRC- CURRENT-5/12/21, expected to arrive 5/17/21

300 PRC- 5/13/21-6/10/21

6.5 and 7 SAUM- starting 6/11/21

28 and 30 Nosler- Next, date TBA

Ultra Mags- Next, date TBA

300 WSM- NOV/DEC 2021 Tentatively

Guess what ADG?.....TOO FUCKING LATE!!!!! You starved us..and now we will feed on Lapua...you had your chance...you were a year late to the party...then you fumbled the ball....and now....now we dine on Lapua.

phlegethon

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    I see the following was posted on Unknown Munitions website:

DESCRIPTION​

ADG will not run any standard case head cases for 2021, this means no Creedmoors, 308, etc.

ADG’s production schedule UPDATED 27APR2021:

6.5 PRC- CURRENT-5/12/21, expected to arrive 5/17/21

300 PRC- 5/13/21-6/10/21

6.5 and 7 SAUM- starting 6/11/21

28 and 30 Nosler- Next, date TBA

Ultra Mags- Next, date TBA

300 WSM- NOV/DEC 2021 Tentatively

Guess what ADG?.....TOO FUCKING LATE!!!!! You starved us..and now we will feed on Lapua...you had your chance...you were a year late to the party...then you fumbled the ball....and now....now we dine on Lapua.
    I don’t see any Lapua SAUM or WSM brass coming out, suspect ADG will do OK even if we all wish they had more capacity.

themightytimmah

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 12, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Anyone with Creedmoor Sports back orders on Lapua Brass gotten a ship notification? I backordered in April, have seen inventory pop up elsewhere and I’m hoping I get that notification soon.

bunny too

Just a cook
    Minuteman
    May 5, 2020
    Wyoming
    Anyone with Creedmoor Sports back orders on Lapua Brass gotten a ship notification? I backordered in April, have seen inventory pop up elsewhere and I’m hoping I get that notification soon.
    I backordered in December and have not got notice yet, however I have an associate who backordered in October and he has received shipping confirmation.

bunny too

Just a cook
    Minuteman
    May 5, 2020
    Wyoming
    Excited to be doing my first .300 PRC load testing this morning (if the snow lets up!) Five rounds each; Lapua brass, Hornady 230 gr. A-tip, H1000 from 74 to 77.5 in half grain increments. Anyone want to share a favorite load (1 in 9 barrel)? (@b2lee I am looking at you :).)

phlegethon

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Excited to be doing my first .300 PRC load testing this morning (if the snow lets up!) Five rounds each; Lapua brass, Hornady 230 gr. A-tip, H1000 from 74 to 77.5 in half grain increments. Anyone want to share a favorite load (1 in 9 barrel)? (@b2lee I am looking at you :).)
    You better pull that trigger with a long string if you try one of @b2lee’s loads, LOL.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I don't have any load data handy for H1000....mainly because I have a 29.5" barrel and the one before was 28"....so needed a slower burning powder to take advantage of the longer barrel.

But...If you are using an ATV3 to drop your powder....I would load ONE load of each...go shoot them into the bank....find a speed you like that doesn't show pressure...and just use it.

Like...I have a RL-26 load where I simply pick 75.0gr..because it is easy to remember...gives me a speed I want...and a pressure I want....and as long ast the ATV3 drops to the same kernel...or half kernel off...I'm golden and don't need to develop a 'velocity node'....I can simply skip straight to the seating depth nodes.

bunny too

Just a cook
    Minuteman
    May 5, 2020
    Wyoming
    I don't have any load data handy for H1000....mainly because I have a 29.5" barrel and the one before was 28"....so needed a slower burning powder to take advantage of the longer barrel.

But...If you are using an ATV3 to drop your powder....I would load ONE load of each...go shoot them into the bank....find a speed you like that doesn't show pressure...and just use it.

Like...I have a RL-26 load where I simply pick 75.0gr..because it is easy to remember...gives me a speed I want...and a pressure I want....and as long ast the ATV3 drops to the same kernel...or half kernel off...I'm golden and don't need to develop a 'velocity node'....I can simply skip straight to the seating depth nodes.
    I am running a 28" , I will start looking for RL-26 (my charts show RL-26 as a faster burning powder than H1000.) As always thank you for your advice. Right now I have H1000, Retumbo, VV565, Ramshot Magnum, Ramshot LRT and RL-33 for my magnum powders.

Last edited:

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    b2lee, is that RL26 out of your 29.5” barrel? What bullet and speed are you getting out of it. Thanks.

Well....my reloading has a lot of caveats. You most likely can't replicate my load....running a pristinely smooth Bartlein barrel with a custom freebore....so pressures are going to be different...especially since I coat my bullets...so my speeds are less now than what they were....since my pressures are down.

But...245gr Berger EOL doing about 2880fps on a 75F day at 900feet Above Sea Level on a Wednesday Afternoon shooting North/North-East in April at a Latitude of above 40* North.....heh

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    Damn Coriolis effect always gets me when I turn around and shoot the wrong way on my range. :ROFLMAO:
    The funny thing is...when you joke about it...then a few years go by and bullets/powders/equipment progresses to the point....of where now you have to start calculating that in.

ForgeValley

Can't cheat the mountain
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    The funny thing is...when you joke about it...then a few years go by and bullets/powders/equipment progresses to the point....of where now you have to start calculating that in.

Oh no, I totally get it is a thing. I just haven't done any of what I would call ELR shooting, max 1200 right now. Just joined a range with a one mile target and have a rifle chambered in 300 Norma, so it will be fun to play around with it.

ETA - Oh crap, this is the 300 PRC thread... have a barrel in that as well. :)