• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

The necks were EXTREMELY tight. I mandreled with a carbide mandrel and they were tough to deal with. When I seated the bullets....they were 120in/lbs to shove the bullet in....when normally I strive for 20in/lbs. Basically...I thought I was going to break my arbor press pushing them in.
Very. very tight. I had to mandrel them twice to get on the lathe, I took them down to .0145 neck wall thickness for concentricity (about .0005 off.) The primer pocket I cleaned up a little but the flash hole and interior were beautiful! Do they drill the flash hole from the inside out or through the primer pocket in?

Mile High had it on the shelf

They had a bunch less after I walked out today...

Plenty left, don't worry. Smile High Shooters Supply will make y'all happy.

@375fan - Mile High only occasionally updates their web site. Give them a call and ask for them to hold brass till you get in to pick it up.

Last edited:
My order from Creedmoor finally shipped, so those with older back orders should be seeing them soon.

Reactions: bunny too
In stock for now, no limits.

26 minutes later.. 1 left in stock, which likely means you won't get it if you are reading this now!

Last edited:
In stock for now, no limits.
And a great price!

Fast barrel?
I was trying out my some loads yesterday and my load #4;
75.5gr H1000 under a 230 gr A-Tip was throwing 2885 fps, average (of five shots) was 2884 with s SD of 2.2 (Labradar) with no pressure signs.
Hornady manual states it should be around 2760. I am using an ATv3 to measure powder. 42 degrees @ 7220'. Any ideas to the discrepancy or is this within the realm of tolerances? Barrel is a 28" Bartlien 400MOD 1 in 9, accuracy was a half inch group at 100 yards. I am very happy with the load just a little puzzled, I was not supposed to hit that velocity until two more grains (and then only 2825 fps.)
I'm at 76gr and running right at 2900fps +. Barrel length is 32" but I thought about cutting the barrel back to 30" as I don't feel the extra 2" is giving me anything extra.

I did try some rounds at 78gr. but no sense in beating anything up.

This is on a F class gun and it will hold just over a 1/4moa at a 1k yards. That was shooting both the 225 ELDM's and the 230SMK that day. Barrel is a 1-9 twist as well. My SD's where running 6.7 and that was for a 14 rounds fired. All the SD's where running 10 or less.

I haven't stretched the 230 ATIP past 500 yards yet but they are laser beams as well!

What primer you using?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Fast barrel?
I was trying out my some loads yesterday and my load #4;
75.5gr H1000 under a 230 gr A-Tip was throwing 2885 fps, average (of five shots) was 2884 with s SD of 2.2 (Labradar) with no pressure signs.
Hornady manual states it should be around 2760. I am using an ATv3 to measure powder. 42 degrees @ 7220'. Any ideas to the discrepancy or is this within the realm of tolerances? Barrel is a 28" Bartlien 400MOD 1 in 9, accuracy was a half inch group at 100 yards. I am very happy with the load just a little puzzled, I was not supposed to hit that velocity until two more grains (and then only 2825 fps.)
Id say so. Granted mine is a 24" but I am getting 2800FPS on the nose with 76.8Gr H1000 and a 230 A Tip.

I'm at 76gr and running right at 2900fps +. Barrel length is 32" but I thought about cutting the barrel back to 30" as I don't feel the extra 2" is giving me anything extra.

I did try some rounds at 78gr. but no sense in beating anything up.

This is on a F class gun and it will hold just over a 1/4moa at a 1k yards. That was shooting both the 225 ELDM's and the 230SMK that day. Barrel is a 1-9 twist as well. My SD's where running 6.7 and that was for a 14 rounds fired. All the SD's where running 10 or less.

I haven't stretched the 230 ATIP past 500 yards yet but they are laser beams as well!

What primer you using?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Fed 215M; you and your crew do excellent work Frank, I am getting 1.7" groups at 600 yards (and that is with the Wyoming wind.) Thank you!

Reactions: Frank Green
Found a pretty good load for my Christensen MPR 26" 1:8 carbon fiber. Need to play with seating depth, but pretty limited with the mag length.

Berger 245 EOL
77.1grs VV N570
Hornady once fired brass
CBTO 2.906" (0.060" off lands) mag length restricted
Federal 210

However this load had a horrible SD and ES of 18.9 and 47. Take the first shot away and it's fine, first shot was one off to right.
Shot 1 - 2807
Shot 2 - 2781
Shot 3 - 2774
Shot 4 - 2762
Shot 5 - 2760
Avg=2776

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.26.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.26.48 AM.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 49
Found a pretty good load for my Christensen MPR 26" 1:8 carbon fiber. Need to play with seating depth, but pretty limited with the mag length.

Berger 245 EOL
77.1grs VV N570
Hornady once fired brass
CBTO 2.906" (0.060" off lands) mag length restricted
Federal 210

However this load had a horrible SD and ES of 18.9 and 47. Take the first shot away and it's fine, first shot was one off to right.
Shot 1 - 2807
Shot 2 - 2781
Shot 3 - 2774
Shot 4 - 2762
Shot 5 - 2760
Avg=2776
Can’t help but notice that your shots are getting slower each time. How long are you waiting between shots?

Yeah that's odd isn't it. I wait around 1-2 mins.
In my experience that’s not enough, especially with a carbon barrel. You’re shooting in a thermos with a stainless steel liner. It takes way less heat for that steel liner to expand causing velocity loss because of how thin it is. Try getting a little barrel cooler or waiting longer.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
@LongRangeAggie Try switching to the 215M primer. It reduced my ES/SD. I shoot rather quickly on my groups...as in 5 shots in less than 30 seconds. Since my 'thing' is shooting 1 mile Benchrest...I need the most consistent muzzle velocities I can get. My friends laugh when I say I need to keep my ES under 10 and my SD at around 2-3fps. They say 'Impossible'....but alas I have achieved that with a 300PRC and a reloading process that most people wouldn't dream of spending time doing.

Here is a 1 mile group from a few weeks ago:

Berger245EOL_1mileVert.png

If you notice. The first shot is high on paper. I saw the splash behind the target and new it was a high shot. I lowered on the target and sent the other 4 as fast as I could get back on target. You see an insane vertical spread of around 2" at a mile. The horizontal was due to a 12-15mph wind that would blow and let off from second to second. While the high shot put this at a 21.619" group, I was beyond happy with the outcome of the group. I was the only one to keep 5 on target that day. That target is an IBS 1000yd Target....but shot at 1mile.

Later in the day I shot a 1000yd target and the Verticals at 1000 are just plain crazy:

Berger245EOL_1000ydVert.png

You will notice the wind monster ate me up again...but that is a 0.71" vertical on that target at 1000yds. Getting your SD and ES down as low as you can will allow you to achieve this sort of precision at long range. If the wind would have been nice that day....I could have had an epic day with the 300PRC. These groups were shot with Berger 245's, RL-26, Fed215's...and shocker... Hornady 375 Ruger Brass converted to 300PRC on like the 5th firing.

So...I suggest you try out the 215M primers and see if the Magnum primers give you better ignition and help shrink your ES/SD to a point where it won't affect you as much at long range.

BTW....these groups were shot with a TACTICAL gun...not a benchrest gun. Scope is a ZCO 5-27 with MPCT3 reticle...so don't think I went out and shot with a typical BR light gun on linear bearings with a $2500 front rest and a 50x scope...I did it with my ELR gun.

Have a great day and I hope you enjoy your 300PRC as much as I have over the last 2 years.

b2lee, how is your vertical w the 250 A-Tips at 1k and 1 mile?

b2lee, how is your vertical w the 250 A-Tips at 1k and 1 mile?

I haven't shot an A-Tip in a while. My reloading methods have evolved quite a bit since then. However, after the next two matches...if I don't get a resupply of 245EOLs...I'll be back to 230gr A-Tips...and I'll tell you then. I think I can get close to the same verticals with the A-Tips....I think the tips are close enough to give a great consistency to BC. Last year I did shoot some 5 and 6" groups at 1k with a tactical rifle with the 230 A-Tips...but I can't remember the verticals vs. the horizontals...Maybe I'll look through my saved targets in the next few days.

Thanks for looking out Defender3...........Save some for my 30 SM rifle. Hahaha.

Reactions: Defender3
They had a bunch less after I walked out today...

Plenty left, don't worry. Smile High Shooters Supply will make y'all happy.

@375fan - Mile High only occasionally updates their web site. Give them a call and ask for them to hold brass till you get in to pick it up.
Called Mile High today, said they had some and took my order. Said should ship in couple days. Waiting on email confirmation
Thanks for tip about calling them .

Reactions: TripleBull
question. I see lots of people using the Hornady 230 gr Atip (G7 -0.414) or Bergers 245 gr EOL (G7- 0.413) . Has any used the Patriot Valley Arms "Seneca Match" 212 grain? It has a (G7 - 0.461) monolithic ? If you run that through their calculator.. their 212 only has to go 2950 FPS and the AMAX would have to move at 3291 to get the same results due to lower G7 of the AMAX. Thoughts ??
pva bullet
grains-212​
fps-2950​
G7 -0.461​
250 grain
250​
3190​
0.426​
230 Amax
230​
3291​
0.413​

question. I see lots of people using the Hornady 230 gr Atip (G7 -0.414) or Bergers 245 gr EOL (G7- 0.413) . Has any used the Patriot Valley Arms "Seneca Match" 212 grain? It has a (G7 - 0.461) monolithic ? If you run that through their calculator.. their 212 only has to go 2950 FPS and the AMAX would have to move at 3291 to get the same results due to lower G7 of the AMAX. Thoughts ??
pva bullet
grains-212​
fps-2950​
G7 -0.461​
250 grain
250​
3190​
0.426​
230 Amax
230​
3291​
0.413​

You ever tried to get Monolithics to have consistent BC or MV?

Reactions: Glenn
You ever tried to get Monolithics to have consistent BC or MV?
no, I have no experience with them what so ever; hence I was asking. I was just seeing what others have experienced in pitfalls or successes.
I'm a learn from other's mistakes, since you won't have time to make them all yourself type of guy.

The A-Tips and Bergers have given me consistent speeds and BC's....I need that to score well at 1 mile+...and shooting 1k yd paper. I'm not a fan of Solids....by the time you get them to shoot good...you need to change barrels and start all over again....atleast in my experience.

pva bullet
grains-212​
fps-2950​
G7 -0.461​
250 grain
250​
3190​
0.426​
230 Amax
230​
3291​
0.413​

Rader testing form litz/AB has shown the PVA monolitihics to have pretty crap BC consistency bullet to bullet... I would pass.

I have shoot 230 atips, 220 LRHT, 245 EOLs, with good success. Solids aren't worth it in this size imho.

pva bullet
grains-212​
fps-2950​
G7 -0.461​
250 grain
250​
3190​
0.426​
230 Amax
230​
3291​
0.413​

First, the A-tip is not the AMax, it’s a newer design. I believe your BC values for both the 250 and the 230 are low.

Second, you need a 7 twist barrel for that solid bullet, which no one uses and would be useless for a jacketed bullet. And there is no way that BC holds up in independent testing. Solids are a necessary evil in larger calibers (0.375+) but generally have a history of exaggerated BC claims that don’t bear out in reality, and tend to have worse performance in transonic.

Reactions: b2lee
Rader testing form litz/AB has shown the PVA monolitihics to have pretty crap BC consistency bullet to bullet... I would pass.
I would be very interested in seeing that data. Was it taken with a sufficiently fast-twist barrel to stabilize?
and tend to have worse performance in transonic.
This is a good general rule, long and skinny things don’t like transonic. However, your transonic range can nearly double.

I was told by several reputable smiths to look at every record ever set accuracy wise. No monolithic bullets in any discipline. May be a different story for the uber elr, but nobody is shooting super small with them as of yet.

If you are shooting 375 and 416s you really don't have a choice but solids. And guys are winning ELR comps with them, mostly Cutting Edge solids as they radar very well and seem to shoot well. The CE Lazers have a lower BC for solids and i think that has to do with why they shoot so consistent. You really don't need the highest bc or muzzle or muzzle velocity to do well. Just raw consistency in the gun ammo and you as the shooter. A jacketed bullet is usually half the cost or cheaper, so the extra practice you can get for the same $$ is probably worth it shooting a bullet with a slightly lower BC.

Litz posted a bunch of info from the Knobs creek ELR 2020 and 2021 matches, they radar-ed almost everyone's gun. Looks like only one PVA bullet made it into the testing, i thought it was more. But PVA (Josh), also designed the Warren tool solids I believe, and they were the bottom two in consistency. Litz has commented that no matter the twist rate they can't get the warren tool to be consistent.

1620871277169.png

Good shooting and congrats on the win yesterday.

Good to see you and some other Hide Members out there yesterday. That was an absolutely beautiful day at a beautiful range. I've been cold and rained on just about every weekend I've shot since September. It was really nice to have just a stunning day to be around a lot of great people.

Also nice to have a 300PRC win against the big guns.

Reactions: Red1993sol and BCX
I almost shot my sons 30 SM (300 PRC Improved) yesterday but figured after 2200 yards i would be dead in the water. Either way was happy as a pig in shit to connect at 2333 yards w 338 LMAI w Warner Flatlines....

My custom sizing die from Whidden just got shipped - back to playing with the 300 next week. I had stopped because of "small chamber reasons." It's a personal problem that Whidden will help me work through :)

Has anybody measured case capacity difference between the new Lapua brass and the Hornady?