• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread

Closer to Krieger and Bartlein or closer to Criterion, BA and the like? How do they shoot?
I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. Anything 5.56 gets shot with an LPVO, and it eats my established loads I already have, I don't do load development anymore. It shoots blaster 55gr around 1.5" and 69/77gr stuff around .8". Maybe it can shoot better but thats about all I can do with 6x and a lighter gun. The 6mm Grendel has shot quite a few .5" groups but I would call the average slightly bigger than that. But again, I'm the wrong guy to ask, I pretty much only shoot groups on paper to zero the scope then once in a blue moon after that to verify zero. Once it shoots where I point its time to go hit things.

Also, as an owner of Criterions and BA's, I wouldn't put them in the same tier.

Last edited:
This is the 6 lb 308, with a Leupold Mark4 M3, already zeroed for the 168 eldm at an average of 2756 fps.
I have more 308s than any other caliber, 8 at one time. Might be down to 6 or 7.
Barrels 16, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, & 30 inches. The 20", and the 26" were shot out at 8000 rds each. One 18" was taken off cause it did not preform well, and was a BA barrel. Replaced by a Proof barrel. Usually ya get what ya pay for, sometimes a cheap barrel will preform. But I believe you're better of spending at least mid price range for a barrel.
My light 16" is a shooter, with the 168 eldm, the newer 169 & 177 SMK.
But I also like the 18" Proof, in AR 10s I also have a 24" in the AR.
They are all easy to shoot, but for really long range it would be the 30" 8 twist shooting 230 Aips at 2620 fps.
I'm busy with other projects at this time.
A 6.5 twist 8.6 blackout bolt gun...and a 338 Ruger Compact Magnum for the AR 10 has just been chambered and assembled.
Loading for it now.
What handguard is that ? Smoke Composites ?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. Anything 5.56 gets shot with an LPVO, and it eats my established loads I already have, I don't do load development anymore. It shoots blaster 55gr around 1.5" and 69/77gr stuff around .8". Maybe it can shoot better but thats about all I can do with 6x and a lighter gun. The 6mm Grendel has shot quite a few .5" groups but I would call the average slightly bigger than that. But again, I'm the wrong guy to ask, I pretty much only shoot groups on paper to zero the scope then once in a blue moon after that to verify zero. Once it shoots where I point its time to go hit things.

Also, as an owner of Criterions and BA's, I wouldn't put them in the same tier.
I'd be happy with that, especially if its pretty consistent.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
What handguard is that ? Smoke Composites ?
Jacob Grey carbon fiber 1oz and I believe 3 oz for the mounting hardware and barrel nut. Titanium muzzle brake 1 oz. Titanium bolt carrier. Roam magnesium upper. Fluted SS barrel slightly heavier than a pencil but I wanted a more accurate barrel than a pencil, by saving weight elsewhere a heavier barrel was installed but still making a light, but accurate AR 10 capable of .5" accuracy for 5 shots at 100yds.

Reactions: bfoosh006
It aint no 308 Win...but a 338 RCM, finish weight 7 lbs 11 oz. Without scope. 18" fluted barrel I chambered.
Shot some nice grouos first time out, with the hunting bullets I tried.
Speer 200 gr were 2700 fps, 225 gr 2500 fps, and 250 gr GS were over 2400 fps, and 160 gr Barnes copper also shot nicely with the first powder I tried.
Most are running 3200 ft/lbs of muzzle energy from the ARs 18" barrel.
Good enough for most hunting as is, but further testing with different powders, and bullets will be fun.

Attachments

• 20240418_212631.jpg
    20240418_212631.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240421_100219.jpg
    20240421_100219.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240421_095749.jpg
    20240421_095749.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 37
@jLorenzo

16" 308 for you. ADM UIC 10 builders kit. 16" fluted rifle length gas. JP LMOS BCG, SCS buffer system. Super smooth recoil impulse. 155 Palmas at 2700fps, and 125gr blems at 2820fps. But the Barnes 130gr TTSX at 2800 are the nasty business. Love this gun.

1000004436.jpg

@jLorenzo

16" 308 for you. ADM UIC 10 builders kit. 16" fluted rifle length gas. JP LMOS BCG, SCS buffer system. Super smooth recoil impulse. 155 Palmas at 2700fps, and 125gr blems at 2820fps. But the Barnes 130gr TTSX at 2800 are the nasty business. Love this gun.

View attachment 8401953
What powder do you use to get the 155s to 2700 with a 16"?

TAC. It's a beast in short barrelled 308s
Nope..it ain't TAC, 16" starting loads are over 2800, and moving up to 2875 to 2880 with 155 Palma bullets.
With 155s, tipped 155s 2900. But wouldn't run them there.
My 168 ELDM load average is 2756 fps, with small 5 shot groups, which is my go to load, with this barrel along with 169 and 177 SMK....the heavy load is 208s at 2442 fps from the 16" barrel.
And the gun is 6 lbs, of carbon fiber, titanium, & magnesium.
Most of these loads are one tenth under maximum loads in the manual.
Not all barrels give the same velocity. My 16" is only about 10 to 15 fps slower than the 18" with same load.

Attachments

• 20230905_150313.jpg
    20230905_150313.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 21
Nope..it ain't TAC, 16" starting loads are over 2800, and moving up to 2875 to 2880 with 155 Palma bullets.
With 155s, tipped 155s 2900. But wouldn't run them there.
My 168 ELDM load average is 2756 fps, with small 5 shot groups, which is my go to load, with this barrel along with 169 and 177 SMK....the heavy load is 208s at 2442 fps from the 16" barrel.
And the gun is 6 lbs, of carbon fiber, titanium, & magnesium.
Most of these loads are one tenth under maximum loads in the manual.
Not all barrels give the same velocity. My 16" is only about 10 to 15 fps slower than the 18" with same load.
Leverevolution?

Nope t
Leverevolution?
Nope...tried Leverevolution, its good in the 6 mm ARC...but not the 308...it won't get the velocity, even the velocity some have claimed...I chronographed those loads they recommended, plus accuracy wasn't near as good.
Look at the Speer loading manual, you'll find 2000MR.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Nope t
Nope...tried Leverevolution, its good in the 6 mm ARC...but not the 308...it won't get the velocity, even the velocity some have claimed...I chronographed those loads they recommended, plus accuracy wasn't near as good.
Have you tried 2520 or 2200?

PSA Sabre-10A1

Overall a very nice AR10. Swapped to a SL-S stock to use the limb-saver recoil pad and Arisaka bag rider. Trigger is pretty nice but my reset feels sticky. I have a SSA-E laying around I might throw in it. Factory crush washer was so warped it wouldn't slide off, I'm surprised I didn't ruin the threads trying to get it off. Running a Mk5 3.6-18 and Sandman-mil on a Area 419 universal adapter.

Waiting on my projectiles to get here tomorrow so I can start load development for this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    825.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6836.JPG
    IMG_6836.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6834.JPG
    IMG_6834.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6833.JPG
    IMG_6833.JPG
    446.1 KB · Views: 54
PSA Sabre-10A1

Overall a very nice AR10. Swapped to a SL-S stock to use the limb-saver recoil pad and Arisaka bag rider. Trigger is pretty nice but my reset feels sticky. I have a SSA-E laying around I might throw in it. Factory crush washer was so warped it wouldn't slide off, I'm surprised I didn't ruin the threads trying to get it off. Running a Mk5 3.6-18 and Sandman-mil on a Area 419 universal adapter.

Waiting on my projectiles to get here tomorrow so I can start load development for this thing.
1713829307281.png

I can't help but want one of those and the Sabre 110 whilst finishing my LM8 lol.

How's the weight? Please post your accuracy results the QVD review had surprisingly good results accuracy wise.

I am thinking either Rainier or Krieger what do you think boys?

Nope t
Luv me some 155 Palmas, do you tweak seating depth or just load to mag length?

Reactions: 45-90
I am thinking either Rainier or Krieger what do you think boys?
I would do Krieger in general any day. But what else do you want in a barrel? Part of why I bought this barrel weight and gas length. I was looking for a 2 to 2.5pb barrel bc I was trying to keep the weight down. Also chose the 1-10x for this reason. If you were trying to build a rifle that you can run around with and you're going to shoot 3 to 5 minute angle targets probably wouldn't do a Krieger. For building something that you're going to lay or sit behind 90% of the time to shoot and you're only going to carry it from your car to the bench, then I would do it Krieger. In this situation I opted for weight smooth recoil and pulse and something I wouldn't feel bad about ripping 125 grain blems through at a high rate of fire.

We got about a hundred thou to play with in seating depth. Any shorter than 2.72 and you are starting to lose bearing surface in the neck. Your mag will keep you under 2.82.

Depends on the rifle I'm loading for....but these were mag length on the 16" 308 which reached a top speed of 2922 fps, for 5 rds..
But 2815 to 2880 is a good place to run the 155s in my 16" barrel, depending on the 155 bullet used. The 155 Palma was good but the 155gr Sierra tipped bullets was fastest and least accurate...needed some more work on that one.
So was the 168 eldm at 2756 fps half inch 5 shots, at one hundred yds.

I would do Krieger in general any day. But what else do you want in a barrel? Part of why I bought this barrel weight and gas length. I was looking for a 2 to 2.5pb barrel bc I was trying to keep the weight down. Also chose the 1-10x for this reason. If you were trying to build a rifle that you can run around with and you're going to shoot 3 to 5 minute angle targets probably wouldn't do a Krieger. For building something that you're going to lay or sit behind 90% of the time to shoot and you're only going to carry it from your car to the bench, then I would do it Krieger. In this situation I opted for weight smooth recoil and pulse and something I wouldn't feel bad about ripping 125 grain blems through at a high rate of fire.
Definitely something to be said for being able to rip cheaper ammo through it without feeling bad. I'm looking for shooting on the smooth side as well but still doable off hand if need be. Hard to figure where that balance it. I have also considered Criterion but I worry I will be a little disappointed with groups.

Definitely something to be said for being able to rip cheaper ammo through it without feeling bad. I'm looking for shooting on the smooth side as well but still doable off hand if need be. Hard to figure where that balance it. I have also considered Criterion but I worry I will be a little disappointed with groups.
On my list of barrels was a VSeven. There wasn't enough data on them and I think they are mid length. I'm shooting 100% suppressed and wanted a short dwell. I've considered buying a mcgowen blank and having my Smith turn it to a light contour and chamber it

My critter gun. I run a 125gr Speer TNT at 3050 fps.

- 16" Seekins .308 1:11.25
- Mega Maten MML Receivers
- JP FMOS
- Geissele SSA-E
- DDC Enticer L-Ti
- iRay RH50R

View attachment 8402995
Nice setup! That's an L-ti? Doesn't look that long at all. I've waffled between an L-ti and a S-ti for months

Do yourself a favor and buy both.
Part of my indecision is I don't even have a gap to fill. I'm currently using a Dominus on my 308 and it's perfect for that role. I almost have TBAC s entire suppressor lineup, lol. I just want an Enticer. An L-ti has to be pretty redundant to an U9 tho. But at $450 for an S how can someone say no?! But hell, might as well just get it in titanium. But the L is only 2 oz and 2" longer, arghhh!🤣

Depends on the rifle I'm loading for....but these were mag length on the 16" 308 which reached a top speed of 2922 fps, for 5 rds..
But 2815 to 2880 is a good place to run the 155s in my 16" barrel, depending on the 155 bullet used. The 155 Palma was good but the 155gr Sierra tipped bullets was fastest and least accurate...needed some more work on that one.
So was the 168 eldm at 2756 fps half inch 5 shots, at one hundred yds.
I have loaded around 46-47gr of Varget with 155s for a bolt gun, what do you think would be a good area to look at for the gas gun?

I just finished loading 155's Palmas in LC brass about 10 mins ago. I started to crunch at 43gr, 2.780" COAL using a 6" drop tube.

I have loaded around 46-47gr of Varget with 155s for a bolt gun, what do you think would be a good area to look at for the gas gun?
Depends on the gas gun, 155 gr for M1A service rifle 43 grs of Varget, AR 10, 45 grs of Varget.
At 2.800" seating depth changes velocity and pressure, for the average guy and setup, factory style
I personally load my AR 10 to the same pressures as my bolt guns with an SA adjustable gas block....7 clicks down from standard loads, and run the heavy loads, so the adjusted AR 10 will take magnum pressures.
I'm currently running a 338 Ruger Compact Magnum in one AR 10, 18" barrel, at full magnum pressure on a magnum bolt boltface.
So they will take 65,000 psi loads when set up right.
Varget is generally a good accuracy 308 powder but not for every 308, or every bullet. My 16" really dislikes it, with huge S/D s of over 50 fps with weighed charges, but short range accuracy was still pretty good...maybe this was a bad lot of Varget, it's happened before, some lots in the past have complaints of being slow, slso.

Depends on the gas gun, 155 gr for M1A service rifle 43 grs of Varget, AR 10, 45 grs of Varget.
At 2.800" seating depth changes velocity and pressure, for the average guy and setup, factory style
I personally load my AR 10 to the same pressures as my bolt guns with an SA adjustable gas block....7 clicks down from standard loads, and run the heavy loads, so the adjusted AR 10 will take magnum pressures.
I'm currently running a 338 Ruger Compact Magnum in one AR 10, 18" barrel, at full magnum pressure on a magnum bolt boltface.
So they will take 65,000 psi loads when set up right.
Varget is generally a good accuracy 308 powder but not for every 308, or every bullet. My 16" really dislikes it, with huge S/D s of over 50 fps with weighed charges, but short range accuracy was still pretty good...maybe this was a bad lot of Varget, it's happened before, some lots in the past have complaints of being slow, slso.
I also have some AR Comp to try. I am still deciding whether or not to go with an adjustable gas block. The SA stays put on its setting pretty well? I have a basic 308 carbine buffer and will be going with a rifle gas tube for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah. And I typed that in wrong. 43.5gr was crunchy and it showed on target. I shot a seating depth ladder from 2.740 to 2.80 every 20 thou. with 42.5gr. . Generally shot 2565fps. 43 was 2580 and 43.5 gave an ugly group, high SDs and 2610. I was getting generally about a .6" group out of the slow Varget.

I went back to the range this evening with h4895 and Tac. 46 grains of h4895 was listed as book max but that was halfway up the neck in lake City brass. I had to bring it down to 44.5 grains which through a 12-in drop tube just didn't crunch. Loaded with just a funnel. It would have been pretty crunchy. That gave me 2770 and decent accuracy for 4rds with a ridiculous flyer. Showed a little pressure.

I loaded book max with TAC at 45.5gr and shot 2.81, 2.80, and 2.785. I got 2800 with that charge weight, some ejector swipes, and a large accuracy variation. 2.8 shot well. 2.81 shot like shit and 2.785 shot like most people would think a budget-match barrel would shoot in a 16" large frame. About an inch. I'll probably drop it down to 45gr and sacrifice 30fps for happier brass.

2.800" top center, 2.810 bottom right

1000004505.png

Interesting note, Varget and H4895 recoiled harder than TAC

I also have some AR Comp to try. I am still deciding whether or not to go with an adjustable gas block. The SA stays put on its setting pretty well? I have a basic 308 carbine buffer and will be going with a rifle tube for sure.
AR Comp, StaBall Match, 2000MR, CFE223, and 2520 look like the speed kings. Two of them being somewhat temp stable. CFE and 2520 being two of the worst powders out there for temp fluctuations. To the point where I don't even know where my 22 ARC CFE load is going to be from day to day when I take it out.

I also have some AR Comp to try. I am still deciding whether or not to go with an adjustable gas block. The SA stays put on its setting pretty well? I have a basic 308 carbine buffer and will be going with a rifle tube for sure.
Yep, SA adjustable gas block stays put, but it should be cleaned of crud from time to time.
Set up the rifle to your liking, with a quality barrel and LC brass, and a bullet it likes these are capable of hitting less then half inch 5 shot groups, when loaded on a progressive press.
Try the cheap Speer 130 gr Varmint for close range work and LC brass, at a moderate speed, lots of tiny groups...and good for varmints.

I also have some AR Comp to try. I am still deciding whether or not to go with an adjustable gas block. The SA stays put on its setting pretty well? I have a basic 308 carbine buffer and will be going with a rifle gas tube for sure.
You're definitely going to want an AGB. I use SLR AGBs. I took it a step further and tried to consider the BCG weight, tunability of the buffer and spring and gas length of minimize the infamous LFAR two-stroke recoil pattern. I'd say it worked out pretty well and between the JP LMOS BCG, SCS with tungsten buffers, and RLGS I just get a single impulse straight back punch. I don't get the second, heavy, forward-lurch, return to battery, inertia slamming forward, stroke during follow thru. Not something that affects accuracy or reliability from a bench but nice when you're shooting positionally.

The one issue I see with most AGBs is they will carbon lock over time. Yesterday when shooting three different powders with varying charge weights, I could see that I would need to retune the gas block. If I was going to continue to use some of them. There is enough variability in some of these charges that I don't think I would want to just set a gas block and leave it.

I am going to need a LR308 upper clam shell to put in a vice and put the barrel on? A regular AR15 size one wont work correct?