• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester

According to the Shooters World Powder chart, that powder is directly on-par with Varget, as far as burn rate... So, I'd look for Varget load data, and start on the low-end (just to be cautious) and work-up from there. If you don't have a reloading manual, then I suggest the Berger manual, Nosler #9, and the newest Hornady manual. Those are 3 good ones to keep on your bench.

This is a screen-shot straight off the Shooters World Powders manual...

Shooters World Powder Chart.png

You might need to be just a TAD bit more specific... You know, we don't know what components YOU have on-hand, if you don't tell us... 🤷🏼
Got about a half 8# jug of Varget, 1# of cfe223, 250 Nosler 175s, 100 169 smks on the way. Have been through all the Hornady ELD stuff and it just doesn't shoot that great at my mag length of 2.79. A couple hundred CCI Br and non br large and small rifle primers. Thats what I have for .308 stuff. Had the 175 noslers shooting pretty decent with 44gr of varget but only shot a few of them, not enough to really confirm.

Got about a half 8# jug of Varget, 1# of cfe223, 250 Nosler 175s, 100 169 smks on the way. Have been through all the Hornady ELD stuff and it just doesn't shoot that great at my mag length of 2.79. A couple hundred CCI Br and non br large and small rifle primers. Thats what I have for .308 stuff. Had the 175 noslers shooting pretty decent with 44gr of varget but only shot a few of them, not enough to really confirm.
I'd stick with Varget, BR2, and 175's if you had them shooting good. Maybe try different seating depths to see if it prefers more or less jump...

What brass are you using? If you don't have Lapua .308 Win brass, get some. It's not cheap, but it's worth it, and ready to go, and needs nothing but priming and loading right out of the box.

I'd stick with Varget, BR2, and 175's if you had them shooting good. Maybe try different seating depths to see if it prefers more or less jump...

What brass are you using? If you don't have Lapua .308 Win brass, get some. It's not cheap, but it's worth it, and ready to go, and needs nothing but priming and loading right out of the box.
Im using Federal brass. I bought a ton of federal 150gr sp from walmart at 11$ a box to plink with. ahh the good ole days.
Ive been eyeing the Creedmoor sports ammo with the 167 scenar but also looking at just getting 100 pieces of Lapua from Mile High.
I keep telling myself I can get by with cheaper stuff. Im a deal hunter type.

Anyone know a good all around Varget charge for 168 gmm type load? I have some of the new 169gr smks on the way but only 100. Didnt want to burn a ton on load development even though I might end up needing to. All I have is Varget. just wanted to try 2 or 3 charges to see what it looks like then order more and fine tune depending on how they perform.

Anyone know a good all around Varget charge for 168 gmm type load? I have some of the new 169gr smks on the way but only 100. Didnt want to burn a ton on load development even though I might end up needing to. All I have is Varget. just wanted to try 2 or 3 charges to see what it looks like then order more and fine tune depending on how they perform.
I'd start at 42.0, but typically 44.0 is a good all-around load for 168gr bullets in the .308 Win, from my personal tests in various brass brands, rifles, and different 168gr bullets.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I am wanting to conserve my Varget cache for 6mm. I have not given up trying to find powder online, but I think it’ll be easier to pick up powder in my LGS. They have a good stock and selection, but it’s kinda random. So i am trying to collect a list of viable .308 powders, so i am not googling in the store. I have gone through this thread and the AR only .308 Win thread. What other powders would you run in a .308?

Reloader15
IMR 4064
IMR 4166
IMR 4895
Ramshot Tac
BLC-2
VV N550
VV 150
Shooters World Precision
Shooters World Long Rifle
AR Comp
CFE223
8208XBR
H4895
H380
H322
H355
Benchmark
I just tested out VV N133 on Berger 155.5 gr and Sierra 150 FMJBT today. 39gr of N133 was spot on at 2600 FPS with great accuracy in my two gas guns. VV site lists it as a good powder for 150gr and under bullets. I put a full post about it in the general area a few minutes ago.

Has anyone developed a load for the 308 Winchester using a 178 gr eld-x in a Remington 700R-5, Windahm Weaponry AR-10 or Remington TAC-21 using IMR-4064. So far my best results have been 40 gr of 4064. 44 grs and 45 gr may as well been a shot gun. We're going to try 40 gr again and see if 42 gr show any improvement in group size. BTW, how does rifle twist affect the bullets flight.

Im looking to get back into shooting 308 after shooting other stuff, mostly 6.5 CM for several years. My old loading was using a 178 AMAX which Ive heard they dont make anymore.

Rifle is going to be a 20 inch 1-10 twist. Probably going to use Varget for powder.

My main range has targets out to 1100 yards so that's my realistic envelope. Though I will try it out to a mile for fun, but Im not looking for a "mile load". Rifle will be mainly just a fun long range gun with maybe some light competition thrown in every so often.

So with that info what bullets would you suggest? When I stopped shooting 308 the 185 Berger Juggernaut was becoming popular but now I see there are a lot of newer designs from 168-185.

^208 eld-m for me, but not at mag length. If mag length, the 185 Juggs are still a good bet. I read the Berger 200.2 ht is quite good as well as the 208 lrht, but have yet to try either, and unsure of the velocity you could get at std length. 308 shines with heavies and slower powder when you seat them out. Could build on a long action and give your barrel a deep throat if you want to maximize the case... but then might as well go straight 284.

Has anyone developed a load for the 308 Winchester using a 178 gr eld-x in a Remington 700R-5, Windahm Weaponry AR-10 or Remington TAC-21 using IMR-4064. So far my best results have been 40 gr of 4064. 44 grs and 45 gr may as well been a shot gun. We're going to try 40 gr again and see if 42 gr show any improvement in group size. BTW, how does rifle twist affect the bullets flight.
All of my .308 Win handloads that I'll recommend were developed in a factory (other than the trigger) Rem 700 5R Mil-Spec 24" barrel.

I have some for a 175 Nosler Custom Comp, but not an ELD-X, and none using IMR-4064, they're all with Varget and LeverEvolution.

I have an M118LR ammo clone round using Nosler 175 Custom Comps, Varget, CCI 200's, and LC 7.62x51 brass... Mine is a bit hotter, and slightly longer COAL, but it's still very close in specs.

^208 eld-m for me, but not at mag length. If mag length, the 185 Juggs are still a good bet. I read the Berger 200.2 ht is quite good as well as the 208 lrht, but have yet to try either, and unsure of the velocity you could get at std length. 308 shines with heavies and slower powder when you seat them out. Could build on a long action and give your barrel a deep throat if you want to maximize the case... but then might as well go straight 284.
One of my favorite (and my rifle's) favorite loads I stumbled on about 10 years ago, is the Berger 215 Hybrids in Lapua brass with Varget and Fed 210M primers. It's a pretty damn hot load, but it's amazing, and at 100 yards, stacks 5 in the same ragged hole.

Im looking to get back into shooting 308 after shooting other stuff, mostly 6.5 CM for several years. My old loading was using a 178 AMAX which Ive heard they dont make anymore.

Rifle is going to be a 20 inch 1-10 twist. Probably going to use Varget for powder.

My main range has targets out to 1100 yards so that's my realistic envelope. Though I will try it out to a mile for fun, but Im not looking for a "mile load". Rifle will be mainly just a fun long range gun with maybe some light competition thrown in every so often.

So with that info what bullets would you suggest? When I stopped shooting 308 the 185 Berger Juggernaut was becoming popular but now I see there are a lot of newer designs from 168-185.
I shoot the 178 ELD-x out of a 20” 10 twist. Really likes 42.6 grains of Varget.

22"Bartlein 5R barrel, Big Horn action, XRG xray chassis. NF ATACR 7-35x56

attached are the results of my first reloading experience.

Alpha Munitions brass new
CCI 200 primers
Varget
Lapua SCENAR-L 175gr

BP 28.58
ALT 1237
DA 950
T 49.3
H 56.5

Edit: Forgot to add some testing I did at 43.4 and 43.8 and seating depth data. Seating depth for the 43.4 & 43.8 tests done at 2.1500. Seating depth prior as done at 2.1540

On the grouping target, on #4 the high "flyer" was a 2 click adjustment on my scope. I took a click off and shot the other 4 rounds.

Attachments

• LD.png
    LD.png
    699 KB · Views: 191
  • OCW graph.png
    OCW graph.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 198
  • OCW Target.png
    OCW Target.png
    454 KB · Views: 152
  • OCW1.png
    OCW1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 139
  • OCW2.png
    OCW2.png
    33 KB · Views: 114
  • OCW3.png
    OCW3.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 43.4 & 43.8 groups.png
    43.4 & 43.8 groups.png
    767 KB · Views: 306
  • 43.8 data.png
    43.8 data.png
    45 KB · Views: 115
  • 43.4 data.png
    43.4 data.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Seating depth.png
    Seating depth.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Seating target.png
    Seating target.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
22"Bartlein 5R barrel, Big Horn action, XRG xray chassis. NF ATACR 7-35x56

attached are the results of my first reloading experience.

Alpha Munitions brass new
CCI 200 primers
Varget
Lapua SCENAR-L 175gr

BP 28.58
ALT 1237
DA 950
T 49.3
H 56.5

Edit: Forgot to add some testing I did at 43.4 and 43.8 and seating depth data. Seating depth for the 43.4 & 43.8 tests done at 2.1500. Seating depth prior as done at 2.1540

On the grouping target, on #4 the high "flyer" was a 2 click adjustment on my scope. I took a click off and shot the other 4 rounds.

Which software is this that you’re using for the data and graphs?

Thank you
Billy

@BillyD Graph was created from data collected from my LabRadar. Which was taken off the SD card from said LabRadar. The data comes populated as you see in an excel spreadsheet.

I am getting ready to do some testing on IMR 4064 with Federal large rifle primers, virgin alpha brass and 175 scenar-l. Starting at 41.5 through 45.4grs

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyD
I didn't use the chrono for any data, all I did was shoot groups to test for consistency and POI shift compared to Varget...

But, 44.0 grains of Hodgdon LeverEvolution (the same exact charge weight as Varget that I tested) with a Nosler 168 Custom Comp in Hornady Match brass (neck-sized and shot from the same gun), with Federal 210 primers and seated to 2.010" (base to ogive)...Produced groups that were 5+ shots touching and cutting-out the same ragged hole, but shifted about 1.5" high-right (2 o'clock) from my typical POI with the same exact load, but using a different powder.

So, unscientifically, I would say they're pretty close in performance, despite all the stupidity and crap I was getting before about using it. Which had always been my experiences in the past with it, as well.

So, will LeverEvolution work great in the .308 Win? From what I can see, damn right it will. And I'll be using more in the future, and buying an 8 lb'er just to keep in the reserve tank for later if Varget gets hard to find.

I will not be doing any more load data testing with the .308 Win for a minute, as I have quite a few established loads for that gun I've developed over the years... And, I have a brand new a 5R .260 Rem to develop some loads for. Which is shooting nicely, and showing promise already, just from running 10 shots (2 sets x 5 each) through it to test max powder charge range.

@Gungnir388 I would think that the loads you are planning to try with the 4064 will be too hot. You might want to recheck your data.

@BillyD Graph was created from data collected from my LabRadar. Which was taken off the SD card from said LabRadar. The data comes populated as you see in an excel spreadsheet.

I am getting ready to do some testing on IMR 4064 with Federal large rifle primers, virgin alpha brass and 175 scenar-l. Starting at 41.5 through 45.4grs

I've gone up to 44.0 of IMR 4064 for 175 SMK's and got pressure signs there. My best accuracy load for there was at 42.0 grs with an MV around 2640 fps out of a 24" barrel.

Reactions: Gungnir388
@Gungnir388 I would think that the loads you are planning to try with the 4064 will be too hot. You might want to recheck your data.
Appreciate the catch. I took that off of the hodgdon site. Looking it up in my book, Lymans suggests 39.5 - 44.0 grs. Funny, I didn't load above 44.5 due to lack of room, sat down to do some more research and noticed yours and @straightshooter1 responses. I will pull my ones above 44 and go from there. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: straightshooter1
Capturing both a velocity node and minimal POI shift, 43.6-43.9 looks like a winner!

In my RPR + 24" Krieger Barrel 43.7 gr of IMR 4064 pushing 175 SMK's worked really well for me (COAL @ 2.860), though it's a pretty HOT load with pressure well over the SAAMI max of 62,000 psi according to QuickLoad calculations. I didn't have any pressure signs on the brass/primers, but bolt lift was slightly stiff. I also had a good accuracy node at 41.8 grs of IMR 4064.

In my RPR + 24" Krieger Barrel 43.7 gr of IMR 4064 pushing 175 SMK's worked really well for me (COAL @ 2.860), though it's a pretty HOT load with pressure well over the SAAMI max of 62,000 psi according to QuickLoad calculations. I didn't have any pressure signs on the brass/primers, but bolt lift was slightly stiff. I also had a good accuracy node at 41.8 grs of IMR 4064.
I noticed the slightest of pressure signs on the 43.9 loads. See attached pictures. Also, I am going to order quickload Friday.
load card.png
IMG_3988.jpg

I noticed the slightest of pressure signs on the 43.9 loads. See attached pictures. Also, I am going to order quickload Friday.View attachment 7594395View attachment 7594396

Your average velocities are right in line with what I recorded using IMR 4064 but my 175's were SMK's and temperature was 70°F and at an altitude of 880 ft. That might explain some differences for internal ballistics???

Reactions: Gungnir388
Your average velocities are right in line with what I recorded using IMR 4064 but my 175's were SMK's and temperature was 70°F and at an altitude of 880 ft. That might explain some differences for internal ballistics???
Hi to everibody
I did reload some amo for my mossberg atr 100 cal .308win
I did find very good node for 168 amax
.040 to the lands
44.5 VV N140
800 mps
Almost one hole at 100 meters for 3 shots
My problem it s next
This node it s ok on -5 to - 10 celcius temp.
But when temperature going to +10 , groups are very bad
I have experience with 30 06 reloading with the same powder but i didn t had this problem with
Whar do you think ?
I have to try other powder ?
VV N550 like a example
Or only to make some charges with less powder of N140
If this gun work ok with 168 gr can i try other bullets , 150 gr , 155 , 165 , 178 , 180 gr ?
Thank s a lot

Hi to everibody
.040 to the lands
44.5 VV N140
800 mps
My problem it s next
I have experience with 30 06 reloading with the same powder but i didn t had this problem with
Whar do you think ?
VV N550 like a example
If this gun work ok with 168 gr can i try other bullets , 150 gr , 155 , 165 , 178 , 180 gr ?
Thank s a lot
I use 168 ZMax - they are 168 Amax with green tip for zombies. Kin of useful right now...

I get same muzzle velocity as you with excellent groups at 44.4gn ADI2208 (Varget)
ADI .308 brass and primer of choice.
I have found ADI 2208 to be very stable from 5-40celsius
- we do not get much snow in Queensland so cant help you with the -5/10C sorry : )

My .308 is a 20", 10Twist and loves 168Zmax at all half grains - 42.5, 43.5 and 44.4

Reactions: MariusClaudiu
I use 168 ZMax - they are 168 Amax with green tip for zombies. Kin of useful right now...

I get same muzzle velocity as you with excellent groups at 44.4gn ADI2208 (Varget)
ADI .308 brass and primer of choice.
I have found ADI 2208 to be very stable from 5-40celsius
- we do not get much snow in Queensland so cant help you with the -5/10C sorry : )

My .308 is a 20", 10Twist and loves 168Zmax at all half grains - 42.5, 43.5 and 44.4
I know z max
I did use them in 223
For 30 cal i didn t get it yet but i think it s very close to a max on bc i mean
My twist rate it s 10 also
Barrel lenght 22
Brass federal nikel , but i will try others too.
I was ask for vv n550 because i know it s less temp sensitive and offer high velocity with low presure

Hi to everibody
.040 to the lands
44.5 VV N140
800 mps
My problem it s next
Whar do you think ?
VV N550 like a example
Thank s a lot

First, let me point out that our 44.5 gr of N140 is filling your .308 cases very full, to the point it looks like it may be a compressed load. I can't tell by how much as I don't know what that .040 to the lands makes your COAL. I find that a compressed load tends to react more to a large temperature range. So, at the higher temperature(s), you'll need to find an accuracy node with a lower powder charge of N140. Or you could go to the N550, where they are smaller kernels allowing you to fit more powder into the case in an effort get the higher velocities. For example, you could get 45.5 grs of N550 and use less case capacity than you're using with the N140. But, even going to the N550, with that temperature change you're likely to need to develop a different load for each end of the temperature range. You might try a lighter bullet, like 155's and that might help keep you in the accuracy node with that temperature range. But for the smaller bullet you'll need one that's jump tolerant.

Anyway . . . that's just some of my thoughts, as limited as they are, as I think about your delima.

I've read through most of this thread and it seems there's no standard bullet that works for everyone. I'm new to all of this PRS stuff. I've shot service rifle for a little while and pretty much everyone uses the same bullet.

First, let me point out that our 44.5 gr of N140 is filling your .308 cases very full, to the point it looks like it may be a compressed load. I can't tell by how much as I don't know what that .040 to the lands makes your COAL. I find that a compressed load tends to react more to a large temperature range. So, at the higher temperature(s), you'll need to find an accuracy node with a lower powder charge of N140. Or you could go to the N550, where they are smaller kernels allowing you to fit more powder into the case in an effort get the higher velocities. For example, you could get 45.5 grs of N550 and use less case capacity than you're using with the N140. But, even going to the N550, with that temperature change you're likely to need to develop a different load for each end of the temperature range. You might try a lighter bullet, like 155's and that might help keep you in the accuracy node with that temperature range. But for the smaller bullet you'll need one that's jump tolerant.

Anyway . . . that's just some of my thoughts, as limited as they are, as I think about your delima.
No
Belive me it s not compressed load
And also didn t show high presure sighns on primers att all

I did try others bullets with diffrent weights and all was give me best groups with .040 to the lands , with N550 but i didn t try to play diffrent weights of powder
I will try also to find best groups
Also i am wonder if in my gun i did get the best shots with 168 gr will work ok with other weights too ?
Or i have to try only 168 gr with a powder with no temp. sensibility like N550 ?
Where i leave it s hard to get powder
It s no flexible at all like in us or other country.
So i do not have so much posibility on this way.

I've read through most of this thread and it seems there's no standard bullet that works for everyone. I'm new to all of this PRS stuff. I've shot service rifle for a little while and pretty much everyone uses the same bullet.
Some barrels will shoot great with more variety of bullets than others. Others can be finicky (although typically less common for .308)

In my factory Savage .308 barrel, I just couldn’t get 190 SMK , 190 CC, 185 Juggernaut, or 175 SMK to shoot. Then tried 178ELD-X and holy smokes if it doesn’t love those. Multiple 1/2 MOA groups, and consistently under 3/4. From a factory barrel.

Reactions: louu
Some barrels will shoot great with more variety of bullets than others. Others can be finicky (although typically less common for .308)

In my factory Savage .308 barrel, I just couldn’t get 190 SMK , 190 CC, 185 Juggernaut, or 175 SMK to shoot. Then tried 178ELD-X and holy smokes if it doesn’t love those. Multiple 1/2 MOA groups, and consistently under 3/4. From a factory barrel.
I guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of different stuff and try it. I'm shooting the nosler 168 CCs now but haven't shot past 100 yards yet. I'm getting them going 2712 fps with varget, shoot pretty good at 100y. I'll find out Sunday if they can go 700y.

I do have a box of 100 of the Hornady 155 ELDs but I got them almost a year ago and can't find anymore, I'm not sure if they are making them anymore. I'm probably not even going to open them up if I can't get more.

No
Belive me it s not compressed load
And also didn t show high presure sighns on primers att all
Even if it were a compressed load, at the temperatures you've fired them pressure signs are not likely as the burn rate is reduced substantially and generating mild to moderate pressures.

.040 off the lands doesn't tell us anything about your seating depth, so we're/I'm just guessing. If we knew what your COAL was, we'd have a much better idea as to the available case volume for your powder, which is a big factor regarding pressure.

I did try others bullets with diffrent weights and all was give me best groups with .040 to the lands , with N550 but i didn t try to play diffrent weights of powder
I will try also to find best groups

When you're loading all of them to the .040 to the lands, you're going to have different seating depths from one bullet to another. For example, switching from a 168 to a 150, the shorter bullet seated to .040 off the lands will increase the case volume over what a seated 168 cartridge will have. So, using the same powder load and distance from the lands, not only is the lighter bullet going to produce less pressure, but also the increase in volume also contributes to less pressure. So, even though two different cartridges are the same distance from the lands, you're comparing apples to oranges.
Also i am wonder if in my gun i did get the best shots with 168 gr will work ok with other weights too ?
Or i have to try only 168 gr with a powder with no temp. sensibility like N550 ?
Where i leave it s hard to get powder
It s no flexible at all like in us or other country.
So i do not have so much posibility on this way.

I'd suggests sticking to that one bullet and simply use a different powder load for your warmer temperatures. I do the same thing here in Arizona where summer temperatures are in the triple digits and a good 50° less in the winter time. You'll just have try and find an accuracy node using a little less powder for the warmer temperatures.

I've just gotten a box of 208-gr. Amax bullets I want to try. I have IMR 4166 which in looking at burn rate charts is very close to 4064. My reloading manual doesn't have the 4166 so I'll use the 4064 charts.

Book says start at 34.5 gr and max is at 38.5-gr.

Anyone have advice for loading heavies at mag length? What were your results?

Gun is 24", 10-twist.

I've just gotten a box of 208-gr. Amax bullets I want to try. I have IMR 4166 which in looking at burn rate charts is very close to 4064. My reloading manual doesn't have the 4166 so I'll use the 4064 charts.

Book says start at 34.5 gr and max is at 38.5-gr.

Anyone have advice for loading heavies at mag length? What were your results?

Gun is 24", 10-twist.
Here's some information you might find useful:

Yes, the burn rate for 4166 is very close to 4064 and a little more of 4166 can fit in a case than 4064 of a case with the same volume.

It's hard to say what you can do compared to someone else as your mag may be longer or shorter than mine or someone else's. So, it'd be a good idea to state just what your mag length is.

My .308 mag length is 2.960 and I've only use 185 Jugs to mag length and used 40.9 grs of IMR-4064, which filled the case to 95.7% of capacity. If I put 40.9 grs of IMR-4166 in, it fill the case to 94.4%. So, you can see that the 4166 allows one to fill just a little more than 4064 of a given case volume.

If you mag length were to be identical to mine, you might be able to go up to 40.0 grs of 4166, which in this case would be 100% of case capacity. Some people might think their rifle chamber can handle high pressures and would ultimately go with an even higher charge. But you should start low (maybe somewhere between the 34.5 and 38.5) and work up as there are other factors that can be involved in increasing pressures of a load involving things like your chamber's freebore and/or temperatures you're shooting in.

Reactions: earthquake
Here's some information you might find useful:

Yes, the burn rate for 4166 is very close to 4064 and a little more of 4166 can fit in a case than 4064 of a case with the same volume.

It's hard to say what you can do compared to someone else as your mag may be longer or shorter than mine or someone else's. So, it'd be a good idea to state just what your mag length is.

My .308 mag length is 2.960 and I've only use 185 Jugs to mag length and used 40.9 grs of IMR-4064, which filled the case to 95.7% of capacity. If I put 40.9 grs of IMR-4166 in, it fill the case to 94.4%. So, you can see that the 4166 allows one to fill just a little more than 4064 of a given case volume.

If you mag length were to be identical to mine, you might be able to go up to 40.0 grs of 4166, which in this case would be 100% of case capacity. Some people might think their rifle chamber can handle high pressures and would ultimately go with an even higher charge. But you should start low (maybe somewhere between the 34.5 and 38.5) and work up as there are other factors that can be involved in increasing pressures of a load involving things like your chamber's freebore and/or temperatures you're shooting in.
You must have a Tikka, with the 2.960 oal ? as that is the length of my 175 NCC's and SMK's. I'm still working on testing bullets seated to "normal" 2.80 length to see if the long jump with 155's & 168 NCC's & SMK's effect's accuracy.

You must have a Tikka, with the 2.960 oal ?
No. I have an RPR and since the factory mags are a bit short I got aftermarket mags to be able to load to 2.960 OAL.

as that is the length of my 175 NCC's and SMK's. I'm still working on testing bullets seated to "normal" 2.80 length to see if the long jump with 155's & 168 NCC's & SMK's effect's accuracy.

I've used 168 and 175 NCC's and have loaded the 175's as far out to 2.940 as well as my 175 SMK's. But have never loaded to 2.80 OAL as I've always wanted more velocity than that OAL allows for any of the powders I've used. I feel sure you can get pretty good accuracy loading to 2.80 depending on the powder you're using . . . especially if you have a barrel tuner mounted. I get pretty decent accuracy with 168 and 175 Federal Premium Match cartridges that are loaded to that length. Custom loads with seating depths set to tune the cartridge to the barrel is far superior. Out of my factory barrel and my current Krieger barrel, the SMK's performed better than the NCC's I had, since I used the NCC's up I've stuck to SMK's and Berger's.

If you haven't already seen and read the 4 articles on bullet jump on the Precision Rifle Blog, you should read them. It may save you some time and expense in your quest for understanding how long jumps may or may not affect accuracy:

No. I have an RPR and since the factory mags are a bit short I got aftermarket mags to be able to load to 2.960 OAL.

I've used 168 and 175 NCC's and have loaded the 175's as far out to 2.940 as well as my 175 SMK's. But have never loaded to 2.80 OAL as I've always wanted more velocity than that OAL allows for any of the powders I've used. I feel sure you can get pretty good accuracy loading to 2.80 depending on the powder you're using . . . especially if you have a barrel tuner mounted. I get pretty decent accuracy with 168 and 175 Federal Premium Match cartridges that are loaded to that length. Custom loads with seating depths set to tune the cartridge to the barrel is far superior. Out of my factory barrel and my current Krieger barrel, the SMK's performed better than the NCC's I had, since I used the NCC's up I've stuck to SMK's and Berger's.

If you haven't already seen and read the 4 articles on bullet jump on the Precision Rifle Blog, you should read them. It may save you some time and expense in your quest for understanding how long jumps may or may not affect accuracy:

Did it come with the Magpul mags stock, or another AICS style mag? Which ones did you go with that allowed you to seat out that far?

Did it come with the Magpul mags stock, or another AICS style mag? Which ones did you go with that allowed you to seat out that far?

Yes, it came with Magpul AICS style mags that allowed a max oal 2.820. I purchased the Alpha mags and like them a lot better than the plastic Magpul's. There's still a website, but I don't believe they're in business any longer: