• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

329 grain 338...WTF Berger?

surgeon260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Colorado
Berger's 2018 catalog officially announced a 329 grain .338 projectile in their EOL line. Sweet, I said to myself. Just the nudge I've been waiting for to build a Lapua Improved. So I ordered a couple of fast twist Bartleins and started dreaming of the ballistics.

Well, 2018 has come and gone, and still zero word on this new bullet. And I just took a look at Berger's new 2019 catalog, and there is no mention of this bullet whatsoever! It's like it never even existed! (The new ELR solids are mentioned prominently, however.) Oh the marketing BS!

Dammit Berger. Get it together. Sorry, needed to vent.

Graf and Mid South both have them as an option but both out of stock with back-order eligible so not sure if they ever had any or just have an item number with anticipation. I wonder how fast you would have to push them to take advantage of the BC? Well, hopefully you'll find out!

With a 32" barrel, a long throat, and a case full of RL33, I was hoping for 2950+ with a Lapua Improved. Assuming a BC in the .45 range...that's a spicy meatball.

Reactions: Mr. Z and camotoe
Iam sittin here drumming my fingers.... Waitin for these..... Over a year now

I have a 33xc 1-8 twist barrel being spun up by Dave Tooley for my AI. When i spoke with Berger at SHOT I asked about a heavier bullet and was told that Brian Litz had done testing but nothing any time soon.

FWIW, I'm running the current Berger 300s at 3k FPS out of a 30" 338 LM AI. I could likely go a bit faster, but recoil is already, uh, brisk.

In any event, the OP's desired MV for such a projectile seems reasonable unless there's a big delta (between the existing Berger 300s and a new .338 EOL projectile) in bearing surface.

I could likely go a bit faster, but recoil is already, uh, brisk.

Yeah, I know what you mean. How heavy is your rifle? My rifle has a solid fiberglass (no fill) McMillan A5 and a big ass (1.400" shank) barrel...probably around 25 lbs ready to shoot. With an Ultra 338 can, the heavies should be pretty comfortable.

Yeah, I know what you mean. How heavy is your rifle? My rifle has a solid fiberglass (no fill) McMillan A5 and a big ass (1.400" shank) barrel...probably around 25 lbs ready to shoot. With an Ultra 338 can, the heavies should be pretty comfortable.
I have no idea what it weighs, but it's not particularly light (Desert Tech SRS A1 w/ heavy barrel & TT 5-25 scope). I have a TBAC brake/mount on it, but after about 20 rounds, I'm ready to shoot something a little less rowdy (FWIW, all my shooting is at a bench, rather than prone). It's not super abusive, but it's not (for me) an all-day shooter, either.

I just got this message from Betger this morning:

Unfortunately, we have not been able to release any of the new EOL bullets from last year yet. After we announced them, our order demand sky rocketed (partially from the announcement of our plant move) and we fell behind on production. They made the decision to pause the development of any new bullets until we can get caught up with our current lineup. The 6.5 is likely to be the first of the new EOL bullets release and, as far as we know, the 30 and 338 calibers are still in the works but they will be a little further behind. Personally, I'd love to see them out this summer in time for fall hunting season, but frankly I just don't know when we'll see them. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

So 2020?

If in fact Berger was bought by the same company . Was it lapua and the makers of N570 all combined now??? You can expect nothing but lies , stories and just don't give a shit about the personal use buyers of their products... How many different excuses have you heard over N570 available dates... The factory burned down. my wife's poodle ate a whole train car load... it will be distributed in 5 months and then nothing in 5 months or 10 months... We are retooling the whole factory...I don't know how many I have heard...Best bet is to just do load work up with the bullet and powder that is almost always easy to find...

So Berger decided to "pause the development of any new bullets?" Then why are they advertising the new ELR solids all over the place?

I am quickly learning that Berger's marketing department is completely full of shit.

Berger is full of shit in general, here in Australia most couldn't care less about the new EOL line we would just be happy if they sent their current range more frequently than once every 18months. They send just enough to the importer that they sell out in 20mins, if your not on the internet in that 20mins when they arrive then you wait another 18months. More chance of winning the lottery really down here.

Reactions: Simia Dei
they only have the ELR 375 CALIBER (0.375") MATCH SOLID BULLETS on brownells

Skip the Bergers. There are better 338 solids out there. I’m shooting one from Badlands Precision with a g1 of just a bit over 1.0

berger has listed this in their ballistic calculator over the weekend

no BC has been attached to it and it is not listed on their website elsewhere

Reactions: Taylorbok
Fingers crossed but not holding my breath. Still have Berger's on backorder from last spring. Starting to think we have a lead shortage.

I scaled up a .308 245 to .338 and it came out to 323 grains. I’m guessing it would be close to that same form factor. My guess is the G7 BC would be around .45.

Reactions: BCX