• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Creedmoor / 8.6 Creedmoor

@Kevin Brittingham did Facebook nuke the the_official_q page? I typed in the page in the FB search bar and the page wouldn't come up, Akdodge88's page came up and the_official_q was in the text of his page but a dead link. WTF FB?
The page still pops up on my Facebook and Instagram. On Facebook they are under Q, LLC

Older thread revival, sorry. Just found out about this cartridge. For subsonic uses, seems to me that the .338 Spectre would be a better choice for bullets to 300 grains. .338 bullets over 300 grains aren’t common. And the Spectre fits in an AR 15. Thoughts on that?

Yeah for subsonic use I don't see what this would have over a Spectre other than marketing. Spectre is rarely talked about but a good round.

Sorry to resurrect (again), anyone heard of any updates on the 8.6?

Yeah for subsonic use I don't see what this would have over a Spectre other than marketing. Spectre is rarely talked about but a good round.

Well if they do it like blackout, then it will be good factory support and ammo versus a bunch of reloading and custom shenigans

image.jpg

Q has something on their Instagram now about a 12.5" Fix with a 1/4 twist. Not much new information but I'm starting to hold my breath for Shot release next week??

I hope the year + wait was so there can be at lease some support from larger companies like Hornady

Reactions: deersniper
Any news from Shot Show on this cartridge? It piqued my interest but I can’t say I’ve read or heard almost anything on it.

Reactions: rlsmith1
My patience is wearing very thin... If nothing happens by this summer, I'm throwing a 13.5" barrel on my AR10, suppressing it, and running MK319 through it

Good Q&A linked below:

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/8-6-blackout-a-2020-update-with-qs-kevin-brittingham/

we’ll have new silencer that is launching at the end of this quarter. It’s a stainless-steel silencer called the Pork Chop, and it’s for the 8.6 Blackout and .338 cartridge.

It’s the size of our Thunder Chicken…and it uses a Cherry Bomb muzzle device that is just larger. Because people are going to need to get paperwork going, we want to have these available in the next few months.

in a bolt gun, does this hypothetical round provide any benefits over a 338 fed?

If it’s like 300 whisper v 300 blk, more better factory support for firearms and ammo and scopes

I would imagine that the heavy 338 subs have a pretty similar trajectory to the 30 cal subs and if so the optics would probably work just fine.

Reactions: deersniper
Another benefit is truly being hearing safe with subs through a can vs a semi auto which to me is big deal when you spread all those shots over years and eventually decades of hunting.

Yeah I was somewhat joking. Took that gun in on a package deal years ago. Finally able to shoot it now that Hornady makes ammo

I thought about 458 socom but you don't get high bc bullets

BC doesn't mean as much at subsonic speeds. The coefficient of drag below the speed of sound is very low for all bullets. At 500yd it's less than a 100fps difference in retained velocity between a 75gr .224 ELD-M and a 250gr .30 cal A-tip with both starting at 1050.

I've dabbled in this subsonic thing quite a bit lately and while I can get the accuracy that I want pretty easily, an extreme spread of 20fps on the muzzle end nets like a 1.5-2ft elevation difference at 600yd, and the target moving 5-10yd closer or further starts to matter dramatically. It is still extremely fun on appropriately sized steel plates at distance, though. May need to start doing BR-level brass prep and get a tight reamer made for 300 blackout.

Last edited:
Personally I've copped out due to silencer selection and just mess with .30 cal. .300 blackout and a super-long freebore .30 luger with 190 Sub-Xs.

If you're worried about terminal performance your bullet selection is limited to purpose-made expanding subs (solids, Sub-X, etc.) or appropriately sized pistol bullets that normally operate at 800-1200fps. Problem with solids and pistol bullets is they're usually not too heavy.

Still very much a world of compromises.

BC doesn't mean as much at subsonic speeds. The coefficient of drag below the speed of sound is very low for all bullets. At 500yd it's less than a 100fps difference in retained velocity at 500yd between a 75gr .224 ELD-M and a 250gr .30 cal A-tip with both starting at 1050.

I've dabbled in this subsonic thing quite a bit lately and while I can get the accuracy that I want pretty easily, an extreme spread of 20fps on the muzzle end nets like a 1.5-2ft elevation difference at 600yd, and the target moving 5-10yd closer or further starts to matter dramatically. It is still extremely fun on appropriately sized steel plates at distance, though. May need to start doing BR-level brass prep and get a tight reamer made for 300 blackout.
This is very solid advice! An old friend of mine got his PhD from an Ivy League school in aerospace mechanical engineering and gets paid a ludicrous salary to play with wind tunnels, there are very few people on the planet that know more about airflow than he does. We were discussing riding positions while cycling and he said that aerodynamic drag is an exponential growth function meaning the faster you go the more it matters and the slower you go the less it matters. Heavy slow moving projectiles are surprisingly stable in flight and fly very consistently, don’t take my word for it, go play around with some and you will see for yourself.

You could run a 9mm can with a .358 winchester. Probably have to make a mold and cast some heavy lead pills.

ETA: Another little bit of help, pistol cans will work with subsonic loads; muzzle exit pressure is low enough. Just don't run full-house loads through it. Know of at least 1 wrecked booster from trying the sub-x vs. full house loads in .30-30. Sub-X was fine, 2000+fps full house load, not so much.

Reactions: Dirty D
When you look at the ballistics on the 338 Fed / 8.6 Creed, a 230 gr ELD-X stays supersonic a long ways. In my mind, the 338 Federal is the 6.5 Grendel of the AR-10 (with subsonic capability) and the 375 Raptor is the 300 BLK big brother.

I haven't looked at ballistics in a while on the 8.6 Creed (wanted one but doubt they will come out with anything in the next year commercially) so maybe I'm wrong on the Grendel comparison. The 230 ELD-X at 2200 fps stays supersonic to 1000 yds and has 1000 ft/lbs of energy at 700 yards. I'm kinda in the dark about how fast a 230 ELD-X can be pushed out of the Creed / Federal case

Not sure if the Federal will seat a 230 ELD-X (long bullet) without eating too much into case capacity. If anyone here has experience with the 338 Fed and a 230 ELD-X or similar projectile I'd love to hear about it. Seems like a great way to shoot supersonic to 1k and be able to shoot subs