• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 Lapua Magnum **Pics Added**

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
Been working on a project for as few weeks for a client. It's in the oven as I type and will be delivered tomorrow. Pictures to follow, the title sums it up.

Surgeon XL Repeater
Surgeon DBM
27" Krieger, Modified MTU +.100" over sized (Large)
APA Phat Bastard Brake
McM A5
Jewell HVR Trigger @ 2.5 Lbs.
Badger 34mm Rings
S&B 5.5x25 PMII
All Metal in Flat Black Gun Kote
Pillar Bedded in 10110 Devcon

This biotch is a flat out pig but...........pure sex in the hand.

98c6j5.jpg

2608wvc.jpg

23jid10.jpg

2vrx2zq.jpg

2rnwle1.jpg

2ykb0gg.jpg

Re: BIG-BLACK-HEAVY-NASTY BASTARD

Strangely, I was expecting a post by Shankster. Looking forward to pictures.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strangely, I was expecting a post by Shankster. </div></div>

I'll take that as a compliment......sorta

Thats bad smoke right there............how do you like those brakes William?

Awesome as expected William

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that is truely a FAT Bastard!!! </div></div>

That's exactly what I said once it was complete. That bitch will hurt your elbow
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats bad smoke right there............how do you like those brakes William? </div></div>

I have the Lil Bastard on a 7-300 and love it. The Fat Bastard should tame the beast within.

pure sexy man.if we could get a pic of amber posing with it that would be even better..

I have a SPS Tactical in .308 with the 20" tube, as a guess, what would you say I could gain from a Lil Bastard brake? Difference between having to reset after every shot? Or being able to see shots through the scope? Felt recoil is of no concern to me, I'm a big boy lol.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS Tactical in .308 with the 20" tube, as a guess, what would you say I could gain from a Lil Bastard brake? Difference between having to reset after every shot? Or being able to see shots through the scope? Felt recoil is of no concern to me, I'm a big boy lol.</div></div>

Work on your NPOA first. Brakes dont correct problems that are happening behind the rifle.

Gotcha. Just wondering about the tangible advantages of that particular brake since I read and hear so many great things about them. Again, top notch work on another stick!!

Kelly

Now that is a good looking setup . I think I'm in love with another mans ..................................rifle !
blush.gif

The muzzle is almost the same diameter as the Fat Bastard, and that Fat Bastard is fucking FAT!!!!!

I would hate to be the one trying to shoot that thing off hand! I had a heck of a time shooting my deep fluted 28" MTU 7WSM off hand, but that one would be damn near impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The muzzle is almost the same diameter as the Fat Bastard, and that Fat Bastard is fucking FAT!!!!!

I would hate to be the one trying to shoot that thing off hand! I had a heck of a time shooting my deep fluted 28" MTU 7WSM off hand, but that one would be damn near impossible. </div></div>

At 27" the muzzle is 1.0535", the Fat Bastard is 1.115".

You're right.......this bitch is heavy, 25 to 28 Lbs is my guess. We held it up as if to shoot from a standing position, it'll find the weak spot and in a hurry.

that made my heart flutter...most of the gun dudes on this site truly understand when you see a rifle and the first thought that hits you is - man, I love it, I need to have that one...then, will my wife let me get it, what can I sell to get it...then my mind slows down and says, I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY.

William, that is a work of art.

You need to stop building such awesome guns and mow the lawn!
laugh.gif

Fantastic build

Great job William! I'm jealous of the lucky owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okiecop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to mow the lawn!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yea, goats on strike.

It's mowed now.....been slammed going in circles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...been slammed going in circles. </div></div>

For good reason. Keep up the great work.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job William.
I just got a Canon TI1, now I need to learn how to take pictures that clear. </div></div>

My White Balance was off slightly and I was in a hurry but they came out OK. Thats the great thing about digital, it's instant. When I shot film, I'd still be waiting on proofs.

William, Have you shot this yet? How is the recoil? I almost have a twin to this that I haven't shot yet. I think between the brake and the weight of the rifle it won't be moving much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William, Have you shot this yet? How is the recoil? I almost have a twin to this that I haven't shot yet. I think between the brake and the weight of the rifle it won't be moving much. </div></div>

The owner shot it three times yesterday, he never lost the sight picture. Said recoil was very managable, almost like his 308. The report and blast was a different story though
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
shocked.gif

Sweet! That's what I was hoping. Mine sports the FTE, but is probably equal in weight. Thanks

Awesome Rifle William, curious what's the cost to build something like that?

Re: BIG-BLACK-HEAVY-NASTY BASTARD **Pics Added**

That sure is a pretty looking beast William. The brake also looks very interesting, who makes them fella,s then ?

Here,s one i finished the other day on the same action.

New338.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sure is a pretty looking beast William. The brake also looks very interesting, who makes them fella,s then ?

Here,s one i finished the other day on the same action.

New338.jpg
</div></div>

If you read William original post you would know what break it is..... just sayin'

Thanks for that William.

KY shooter. I DID read Williams first post, thats why i asked about the brake. I,m in England, not America, and although i know the name of the brake, i dont know who made it, thats why i asked.

For those asking about the brake, I bought a very similar rifle from someone on here that has the FB brake. Really the only difference in my rifle is that the barrel is a little lighter and I have no problem at all with losing the sight picture. My 10yr old daughter and tiny wife both shoot the rifle and enjoy it.

I met the owner at the range today and this thing drills. Got it zeroed and chronographed. 2,705 was the average velocity. He only had the Lapua Ammo loaded with the 300's but it hammers steel like a Mac Truck. We can only shoot out to 420 yards at one of the local ranges......way too close for this beast. 7.1 moa / 2.1 mils was dead nuts on at 420 yards. Absolutely boring to shoot at that distance. POA/POI looked to be one in the same on steel through the scope.

Kicks like my 260.........so not fair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that William.

KY shooter. I DID read Williams first post, thats why i asked about the brake. I,m in England, not America, and although i know the name of the brake, i dont know who made it, thats why i asked. </div></div>

APA Fat bastard

APA stand for American Precision Arms