• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 4-12x40 Diamondback Thoughts?

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
Anyone know much about the Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback? I'm looking for something to hold me a few months while I wait for my Viper PST. Ship date just got pushed back till July
frown.gif
. Obviously it's not a Nightforce. It's not even a PST. I'm just looking for something semi-decent to shoot 100 yards off a 308 while I wait for my PST. I'll probably either sell it or move it to a Ruger 10/22 after the PST comes in.

Re: 4-12x40 Diamondback Thoughts?

I have a good friend that has one on his 30-06 and he's very happy with it for a hunting scope. I looked at one the other day at the local SG store. Decent enough for a $200 scope.

You might also consider a standard Viper. The glass will be a little better if you care. But if you're just punching paper at 100 yds. I would think the Diamondback would be sufficient.

John

All this scope will ever do is shoot at or less than 100. I might take it on a small game hunt with the 10/22 or something, but really just paper at 100.

If you've got another idea in the 200$ scope range I'm all ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you've got another idea in the 200$ scope range I'm all ears. </div></div>

Nope. You pretty much came to the same conclusion I did. Decent glass. Not too much money. BDC reticle for hunting. Great Vortex customer service. I really cannot think of another scope for $200 I'd take a chance on.

John

I've got a Diamondback on my AR, and it works well for me. My son-in-law liked mine so much he now has two of them. I think you'd be happy with a Diamondback for your application.

Anyone know what size buttler scope caps these things take? Or I suppose I should just give Scott @ liberty optics a call on Monday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what size buttler scope caps these things take? Or I suppose I should just give Scott @ liberty optics a call on Monday. </div></div>
I'm using 18 eye and 28 objective on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ag76</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what size buttler scope caps these things take? Or I suppose I should just give Scott @ liberty optics a call on Monday. </div></div>
I'm using 18 eye and 28 objective on mine. </div></div>

Ok, thanks. Scott gave me a call back and took care of me.

Good choice. I threw one on my 10/22 and was impressed with the clarity of it. Really not a bad little scope for the price.

Wanted to give some feedback on the scope. Just had it out yesterday to put it through the paces.

I was impressed for it's price range. It's not a nightforce, it's not a pst, but it's not a bad little 200$ scope. The capped turrets have a reasonable feel, and the adjustments are true. I put two shots down range at 50 yards, adjusted 32 clicks for 8 MOA and put the next shot 8MOA higher than the last.

Moved to a 100 yards, first shot group was only 1/2 MOA high and left, I adjusted and put the next 3 5 shot groups down range at 1MOA. Hopefully I'll learn to shoot a little better and we'll see what the rifle can do, but I'm completely stoked about the whole thing.