• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.50 BMG to .416 barrett brass

Sotahirvi

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
Northern Sweden
Do anyone on the forum make .416 barrett brass from .50 BMG cases? Need some info on how this is done if i'm going to build myself a rifle. I got .50 brass in quite good supply.

Re: .50 BMG to .416 barrett brass

CH4D has a 5 die set you will need. Give Dave a call at 740-397-7214 He is a real good guy. You will also need a .400 neck ream to thin the neck down from the swaging of the neck. You will need a good press, Imperail sizing wax, anealer, and all of the other regular pieces and parts you would use for a .50 like trimming, primer pocket tools, etc. etc. etc. etc. Have fun.

Thanks! Gonna take some measurements on the .50 brass an see. I know a guy that mayby could help me to manufacture some dies so i will see. Anyway.. anyone have some pics of the process?

Check Barrett's online store often.They usually have once fired brass very resonable and if it's as good as the Barrett IMI 50 brass I got from them it is great stuff.You will save your self money and a bunch of effort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jumbo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Barrett's on line store often.They usually have once fired brass very reasonable and if it's as good as the Barrett IMI 50 brass I got from them it is great stuff.You will save your self money and a bunch of effort.</div></div>
^^^^
this is the way to go. I would be very hesitant on trying to make your own dies. But hey it's your money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jumbo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Barrett's on line store often.They usually have once fired brass very reasonable and if it's as good as the Barrett IMI 50 brass I got from them it is great stuff.You will save your self money and a bunch of effort.</div></div>
^^^^
this is the way to go. I would be very hesitant on trying to make your own dies. But hey it's your money </div></div>

I think you're both right. But the thing is that this friend of mine is quite good on the lathe and he is willing to make this into a project too. Thanks for the link to the picture! The idea is to try to do this in three steps by taking a case cut to proper lenght and first taper form it to the lower part of the shoulder, secondly form the neck part, and finally run them thru a full lenght sizing die without the decapping pin and sizing button. Of course they will be neck reamed, trimmed and fireformed. A good annealing will also be called for....

Found the inspiration here http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/M48/blank2m48.htm