• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 6.5 Creedmoor w/140Amax hand loads

OneShotJim

Technical Sergeant
Minuteman
I recently acquired my first 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm very pleased with how it shoots. Here's a picture of the rifle:

6pt5CreedmoorbyJimHarrison.jpg

Specs:
FN SPR action
McRee Precision chassis
Brux 26" 8in twist barrel
Weaver Tactical 4-20x50mm scope

Here's my target to set & confirm 100yd zero.

100yd140Amax42pt0gn.jpg

This was using Hornady 140gn Amax w/42.0gn H4350.

Also tested at distance which included first round hits on both 10x12 inch rectangle and 6 inch circle steel targets at 325, 415, 550 and 685 yards. (Sorry no pictures - the targets weren't freshly painted so lots of hits on each.)

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy!

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor w/140Amax hand loads

What velocities you getting out of the Brux at that length with that charge of 4350?

Gun looks good!

Jim,

Glad to see you got it up and running. Hope it is serving you well. Those are nice groups and a good report. Try 42.9 for the hell of it as my other creed loves that load and they were cut with the same reamer. Runs about 2860 out of my gun

My average velocity for 12 rounds over a Pro Chrono was 2751 fps - that's with the 42.0gn of H4350. For what it's worth, the SD was 13fps, but that's not really enough rounds clocked to get a reliable SD.

Here's an update from a recent visit to Gun Site Hills. Shot from 100yd to over 700 and here are the results. All with 140 Amax, 42.0gn H4350. The weather was nice & sunny but cool, 40F when I started to about 50F when I finished. Winds were light, 0-4mph & alternated at times from 6 o'clock to 12, with or against with very little effect.

400 yards

400yd6pt5CMAnaly2013-01-18.jpg

500 yards (later learned this target is a little shorter, ~490)

500yd6pt5CMAnaly2013-01-18.jpg

600 yards

600yd6pt5CMAnaly2013-01-18.jpg

680 yards

680yd6pt5CMAnaly2013-01-18.jpg

And finally, 715 yards (This was after my lunch break. The lowest impact was my first shot after the break & was a definite "slips" due to the shooter.)

715yd6pt5CMAnaly2013-01-18.jpg

I'm still very happy with how this 6.5 Creedmoor shoots. And a big thanks goes to both Killswith Engage, the original owner, and to Frank Proctor of Way of the Gun, who patiently helped improve my consistency (which obviously needs more work).

Those are some excellent groups.... and that rifle is sweet.

I am salivating over a 6.5C and these pics are not helping.!!
smile.gif

Ya those are dandy groups.. abd thats an awesome powder choice. My lapua loves h4350

Nice rifle and awesome shooting. Can't go wrong with a Customblue made stick.

Great shooting Jim and glad it's shooing for you! Can't argue with performance like that. All the props should go to the shooter and the builder...custom blue. For those that don't know. Gerald Kuthy builds rifles that simply perform off the charts routinely. If you need something built give Gerald a try and you won't be disappointed.

Doug

Quite right. Thanks also to Gerald Kuthy of Custom Blue for building a real shooter! I don't know Gerald, but I think the way this build shoots speaks for itself; there's no better endorsement than how a rifle performs.

I'm still giving some credit to Killswitch E. though. His legwork and wise choice of superb and very cost effective components definitely helped make this a great build.

This long range stuff sure is fun!

thanks Doug and Jim

Its alway good to hear back on a build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customblue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks Doug and Jim

Its alway good to hear back on a build

</div></div>

Great to see you here Gerald!!!! I'm glad you are getting to see the results of your hard work!

Doug

I just loaded Some 6.5 creedmoor this evening I did 41.0 Gr of H4350 with 140Gr A-max. I can't wait to get my bottom metal back so I can shoot it! I will give a report next time I get out to the range.