• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5mm Creedmoor vs 6.5mmx47 vs .260 Rem

I have been asked before why not look at the Ackley Improved. But to be honest, once I get my 6.5 back, I will probably start working on a 6mm Creedmoore. I was afraid of the barrel life of it more in the past un till I read what was stated here. Plus, I wanted a 6.5 to use for hunting every now and then but mainly its a comp. gun. I have heard of guys shooting both based on how many targets are out past 700yds. I've heard guys going with the 6mm when most of the shots are inside of 700yds. If its match with a good number of targets outside that range or windy weather then they can go with the bigger 6.5 slug. Just a thought.

I'm interested in the low recoil and smooth follow through after recoil of the 6mm round, plus self spotted hits. I have a little help on my next stock purchase, just have to put in the order and wait time, but it will go on a 6mm. Most likely the Creedmore due to I've seen brass available.

I'm interested in the low recoil and smooth follow through after recoil of the 6mm round, plus self spotted hits. I have a little help on my next stock purchase, just have to put in the order and wait time, but it will go on a 6mm. Most likely the Creedmore due to I've seen brass available.

You have a 6.5x47 coming correct?

If so my suggestion would be to buy barrels and components for the 6.5x47L rather than doing another rifle, scope, mount, rings, etc, on and on. Then practice to your hearts content, this is where you'll benefit the most. Believe me there isn't much difference in felt recoil between the 6's and 6.5's when they are both braked or suppressed. Heck my friends 6.5 Creed had less felt recoil than my 6x47L did. Both had brakes, his rifle was lighter but had a more efficient brake. My 6.5 Saum has about the same felt recoil as my 6x47L. Why? it has a huge brake and is much heavier. Not only that but there isn't much difference in wind drift between 6 and 6.5 either(not Saum). Usually .1 mil at 1000Y but inside 700Y about the same. Only the very top shooters can both hold and estimate wind within .1 mil.

BTW, the top shooters got where they are at by doing tons of practice and I'll go out on a limb here and say that most matches are won or lost on the positional stages, that and being consistent by not making multiple mistakes.

Where are you in Alabama? If you are close to Bham you are welcome to shoot my 6XC, 6 Creed, or 243 if you want to feel what it's like.

Man, you want believe this. I have been typing a response to steve123 for 30min. just to have all that work get deleted. The screen said I timed out or something. I had typed up a nice response for all to hear regarding shooting.
Where are you in Alabama? If you are close to Bham you are welcome to shoot my 6XC, 6 Creed, or 243 if you want to feel what it's like.

Right on the Chattahoochee River. I'm a river rat. Learned to shoot distance by shooting at Painted Head Turtles sun bathing on rocks, or popping their heads out the water. Lol

That's good to hear your advice is like what I've been told by competitive shooters. The guy helping me build my gun almost made the top 3 at the Cup this year. He advised me to not worry about any matches this year but to just worry about putting 800 or so rounds down range and gather dope. Like you said, positional stuff tends to get people. I have told myself that once my dopes down, to shoot in different positions only. People tend to get relaxed and comfortable shooting lieing down and also get caught up on groups. I been told to focus on first shot hits and not on groups or the magic of what the gun will do. I just love shooting and tend to be in my element when doing so. You know how some guys poke out their chest or try to act macho when at the range? I'm not like that but relaxed and at home. In my element I've been told. Oh, PatrickChewing I'll shoot with you anytime. Thanks. I got some property here and will be building different shooting stations on it and may be able to get out to 1,200yd from elevation. Hell, I need to help host a match here.
You have a 6.5x47 coming correct?

If so my suggestion would be to buy barrels and components for the 6.5x47L rather than doing another rifle, scope, mount, rings, etc, on and on. Then practice to your hearts content, this is where you'll benefit the most. Believe me there isn't much difference in felt recoil between the 6's and 6.5's when they are both braked or suppressed. Heck my friends 6.5 Creed had less felt recoil than my 6x47L did. Both had brakes, his rifle was lighter but had a more efficient brake. My 6.5 Saum has about the same felt recoil as my 6x47L. Why? it has a huge brake and is much heavier. Not only that but there isn't much difference in wind drift between 6 and 6.5 either(not Saum). Usually .1 mil at 1000Y but inside 700Y about the same. Only the very top shooters can both hold and estimate wind within .1 mil.

BTW, the top shooters got where they are at by doing tons of practice and I'll go out on a limb here and say that most matches are won or lost on the positional stages, that and being consistent by not making multiple mistakes.

Researching what velocity gains internet commandoes get from various cartridge improvements is pointless. There is no standardized pressure to make for a decent comparison - to say nothing of varying brass, bullets, COAL and barrel length.

Very few good comparisons can be made.

Secondly, the SLR case isn't an "improvement" in the typical sense, because it nets a decrease, rather than an increase in case capacity. Altering a shoulder angle from 20º to 30º is not going to net you ~150-200fps.

Just rechambered my Tikka 595 .260 to 6.5 SLR. Factory 23.7" barrel, new in 260 had 200 rounds through it when I rechambered it. In 260 had 139gr scenar and 43.5 gr ADI2209, clocked at 2720fps with 0.0004" case head expansion, 8SD, 18ES. 44.1gr started giving erratic velocity and 5-6 ten thousands case head expansion.
Set barrel back 2mm for new shoulder, existing neck and throat.
Same load of 43.5gr ADI2209 gave 2810fps with 0.0004" case head expansion, SD6 ES 19. Using Lapua 260 brass, neck turning and reaming for donut as part of case forming to 6.5 SLR, only have to do it once! All velocity measured over PVM21. Have T3 Sporter 260 with almost 1800 rounds downrange. Going to rechamber that too, now. 6.5 SLR works for me.

I was told most of the reamers and dies were heading out to New Zealand. Why is the 6.5 Super LR/S so popular there but seems so slow to catch on here? Would love to here anything you have to say about this round. Its just a bigger Creedmoore and even bigger Lapua. You know with that brass specs. it has to be a great round! Keep us posted.
Just rechambered my Tikka 595 .260 to 6.5 SLR. Factory 23.7" barrel, new in 260 had 200 rounds through it when I rechambered it. In 260 had 139gr scenar and 43.5 gr ADI2209, clocked at 2720fps with 0.0004" case head expansion, 8SD, 18ES. 44.1gr started giving erratic velocity and 5-6 ten thousands case head expansion.
Set barrel back 2mm for new shoulder, existing neck and throat.
Same load of 43.5gr ADI2209 gave 2810fps with 0.0004" case head expansion, SD6 ES 19. Using Lapua 260 brass, neck turning and reaming for donut as part of case forming to 6.5 SLR, only have to do it once! All velocity measured over PVM21. Have T3 Sporter 260 with almost 1800 rounds downrange. Going to rechamber that too, now. 6.5 SLR works for me.

[MENTION=57689]ChrisNZ[/MENTION]

Thanks for that data point, it's the most apples to apples one I've seen.

Question: Were you also using Lapua brass while still chambered in 260?

To be clear, I am not hating on the SLR cartridge design... I rather like it, and consider it the 243/260/7mm08 that should have been. But, its not a magic handful of miracles as some seem to think.

[MENTION=57689]ChrisNZ[/MENTION]

Thanks for that data point, it's the most apples to apples one I've seen.

Question: Were you also using Lapua brass while still chambered in 260?

To be clear, I am not hating on the SLR cartridge design... I rather like it, and consider it the 243/260/7mm08 that should have been. But, its not a magic handful of miracles as some seem to think.

Am using Lapua 260 in T3 Sporter, have 400 cases I've cycled through 4 1/2 times, with shoulder bump, trim, full clean and anneal after every third firing, otherwise just neck size with Redding comp s type neck bushing dies.
Robert Whitely was a pleasure to deal with and great service from 6mmAR.com for 6.5 SLR dies.
I had 100 new 260 Lapua cases for Tikka 595 that were twice fired, opted to use those for reforming to 6.5 SLR.
I decided to try the 6.5 SLR as I felt it was a 260 optimised, 30 degree shoulder and longer neck for less throat erosion. I'd read about increased velocity but that wasn't the deciding factor. Longer barrel/throat life and more efficient shape. Like a 6.5X47 but in 260 length. I do think a 26" or 27" would be optimum for the burn rate of ADI 2209 (4350) Don't believe in hammering brass or gun, so 0.0004" is my limit on case head expansion. It's subjective to the brass but still a better indicator than primer or bolt lift. Also, 2209 becomes erratic at top loads, so no point in squeezing velocity at the expense of ES or barrel life.
Had the spare 260 in the 595 and decided to test it out. Very promising so far. Accuracy has been definately the same, if not better at around 14mm c-c, while case forming too!
Will post more info once I'm into my second firing of formed cases. Wet winter weather cuts into range time.

Most likely he was because he chose to use what he had on hand I'm guessing since using the Lapua brass isn't recommended due to the donuting issue always created, because of much thicker shoulder being formed into a neck. If he had used Rem. or Win. brass all he would have had to do is resize it. So I'm welling to bet the bank he choose his once fired 260 Lapua brass. I've been told buy the main sellers of the 6.5 Super LR/S reamers that most of them were heading to New Zealand. They are doing all I're homework for us, with this round concerned. I can see them right now, shooting a Red Stag using a suppressor, in a back drop that looks like The Lord of the Rings setting. Beautiful country, beautiful. A large long range shooting culture there for the population size. Please, New Zealand guys keep us Americans informed on your tests and results with this slowly up coming super star.

Thanks friend, would love to come visit and hunt within that beautiful land of yours. Good luck and please put me down for more of your test information. This maybe my go to round in the future and my preferred muzzlebreak would eat up any extra recoil this round may have at top loads for spotting my own hits. Thank You, BullyDog
Am using Lapua 260 in T3 Sporter, have 400 cases I've cycled through 4 1/2 times, with shoulder bump, trim, full clean and anneal after every third firing, otherwise just neck size with Redding comp s type neck bushing dies.
Robert Whitely was a pleasure to deal with and great service from 6mmAR.com for 6.5 SLR dies.
I had 100 new 260 Lapua cases for Tikka 595 that were twice fired, opted to use those for reforming to 6.5 SLR.
I decided to try the 6.5 SLR as I felt it was a 260 optimised, 30 degree shoulder and longer neck for less throat erosion. I'd read about increased velocity but that wasn't the deciding factor. Longer barrel/throat life and more efficient shape. Like a 6.5X47 but in 260 length. I do think a 26" or 27" would be optimum for the burn rate of ADI 2209 (4350) Don't believe in hammering brass or gun, so 0.0004" is my limit on case head expansion. It's subjective to the brass but still a better indicator than primer or bolt lift. Also, 2209 becomes erratic at top loads, so no point in squeezing velocity at the expense of ES or barrel life.
Had the spare 260 in the 595 and decided to test it out. Very promising so far. Accuracy has been definately the same, if not better at around 14mm c-c, while case forming too!
Will post more info once I'm into my second firing of formed cases. Wet winter weather cuts into range time.

I thought the barrel life would be on par with the 6.5x47Lapua, thanks. I've researched this round from top to bottom for 2 months now. Super feed back!