• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5X06 Build progress

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
So after a few years of being teased by a mate.... I have decided to build a longer range rig.

I sold my savage 22-250 that I built up for some funds and bought a Remmy 700 .270 and Shilen 6.5 Barrel.

We decided to build 2 of them and played with the idea of 6.5 SAUM and the 284 version but in the end we went with the 6.5-06 as it will be the best for our usage.

Down here in NZ we don't have the same amount Custom options available to us and so we have to import some gear from the US or Canada... So the MDT LSS is on it's way now as we are after a more mobile Rifle but having said that, we are going to use a Bell and Carlson M40 stock on the other for build reference and just because it was available also.

The main criteria for the Rifle are Accuracy of course... Low Recoil as I am starting out on long range so the heavier recoil is not favorable to me but as my technique gets better that may change and the last thing is mobility.

We are likely to carry these rifles around a bit so they will be fluted and cut to 26"

I'll post photos as we go!

So we have the Action and Barrel together.

We have left the Barrel at 30" and will chop back an inch at a time to record the speed loss if there is any.

Ben who is doing the build reckons it's a great caliber and should do well... the link below is Ben shooting and he has some knowledge when it comes to distance.

We are using 2217 powder and it gave us 3200 fps

With 140 Amax it will put 5 rounds into 3.5 inches at 760 yards

With 1/4 less drop than my 7rem and 300wm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mXfvgF8FP8

The Rifle is mounted in a Choate for now as we wanted the most stable platform we could have for load development... so far she weighs in around 21lb.... A nice light carrying rifle.....

It will be Chopped back to 26" and will look pretty similar to the new "Long Range" 700 Rem have produced.