• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

Alright MFers, I was going to post a link to my apparently not-so-secret source after I went in a picked up a few more boxes.:cool:
Now that the cats out of the bag, ammostore is good to go, and entirely too close to my house to do my finances any good. Best prices on Lapua brass I've seen anywhere. I don't bother looking anywhere else for brass and ammo. If they carried powder and Berger stuff life would be too good.

My Remington 700 Swede BLM spot for up to 1200 yards, my new 6.5x55AI is going to have to find greener pastures in order to shoot 1500 yards.
18930951fc1073fd4e072708dfc32cb44234ca32.jpg

gcR2TMb.jpg

I wish we had open country like that here....

Can I come play???

What state? I am guessing New Mexico. Beautiful place where ever it is

So Cal... No kidding. I've been to San Diego and it was great. Guess my tour skipped that part....

Backspace, I can't speak for PS-G1 but I am building an improved one as well. I have seen some general comments about performance but really not much actual load data. From what I have read, it should be very close to a 6.5x284 but we will see. I think he and I are going to run them a bit different as well. My thought was to push a 140gr bullet between 2950 and 3000 fps and be happy with hopefully a 2500 round barrel life. I think he plans on seeing what the upper limits look like =-)

ut really not much actual load data. From what I have read, it should be very close to a 6.5x284 but we will see. I think he and I are going to run them a bit different as well. My thought was to push a 140gr bullet between 2950 and 3000 fps and be happy with hopefully a 2500 round barrel life.

We are getting those numbers w/o going AI so you should be able to achieve those velocities with ease.

I think so too. I am really interested in increased brass life with decreased brass maintenance. Don't get me wrong... I am sure I will work up a hot load for those windy days or to take hunting, but I plan on trying to maximize barrel life as well. So far it has been a really fun project to put together. Wish it would hurry and get built now!

What length barrel are you running yo get that with the non AI? I would prefer to go standard Swede, but AI wouldn't be the end of the world either. If this will get the 140s to 3000 out of a 24" tube and lapua brass for sub $70 per 100, then this will for sure be my next build.

We are getting those numbers w/o going AI so you should be able to achieve those velocities with ease.
I forget his barrel length, so @ 22-24" you're in the AI range at 2950-3000.
What length barrel are you running yo get that with the non AI? I would prefer to go standard Swede, but AI wouldn't be the end of the world either. If this will get the 140s to 3000 out of a 24" tube and lapua brass for sub $70 per 100, then this will for sure be my next build.
28-30" barrel, lots of load development using a very slow powder - and running much higher than book max on powder charge (although its done everyday on modern actions)

I can't speak for PS-G1 ... I think he plans on seeing what the upper limits look like =-)

Truth.
Although not just for the number sake - exactly. I plan to use my AI as a supplemental build to do some things better than my Swede, aka precision shooting past 1200 yards.

I forget his barrel length, so @ 22-24" you're in the AI range at 2950-3000.

28-30" barrel, lots of load development using a very slow powder - and running much higher than book max on powder charge (although its done everyday on modern actions)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like AI it is. 28" is long for the deer stand. We can hunt with a can here in SC too, so screw that on the end and I doubt I'll even need bullets, I can just get a bayonet. Haha

Hahaha

"Hey Backspace, tell my buddy about your point bank kill you were telling me about yesterday"

"Alright. So I was 50 paces out.."

"Wait, you told me you were point blank range!"

"Like I said, I was fifty paces out - my suppressor has damn near up his rear..."

Nearly forgot you were running a 26"
That's fantastic velocity for a 26" (not that 26 is short by any means, lets be honest).
I would't go so far as to say that's the standard as it's the first I've seen at that kind of fps and not at or over 28", and I read a lot about the Swede. But I wouldn't say it can't be done, because you're a prime example - underestimating the Swede is easy to do.

Here's a kicker to that 26" barrel. I changed lots of powder this past week so I chrono'd that load yesterday and came out with this. Picked up some speed and didn't loose my groups.

Series3 Shots:5
Min2983 Max2999
Avg2990 S-D6
ES16
SeriesShotSpeed
312985 ft/sec
322995 ft/sec
332999 ft/sec
342987 ft/sec
352983 ft/sec
----------------

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Here's a kicker to that 26" barrel. I changed lots of powder this past week so I chrono'd that load yesterday and came out with this. Picked up some speed and didn't loose my groups.

Series3 Shots:5
Min2983 Max2999
Avg2990 S-D6
ES16
SeriesShotSpeed
312985 ft/sec
322995 ft/sec
332999 ft/sec
342987 ft/sec
352983 ft/sec
----------------

<tbody>
</tbody>

That, sir, is fantastic.

here's a kicker to that 26" barrel. I changed lots of powder this past week so i chrono'd that load yesterday and came out with this. Picked up some speed and didn't loose my groups.

series3 shots:5
min2983 max2999
avg2990 s-d6
es16
seriesshotspeed
312985 ft/sec
322995 ft/sec
332999 ft/sec
342987 ft/sec
352983 ft/sec
----------------

<tbody>
</tbody>

damn!

Wow, that is fast! That is probably some of the fastest numbers I have seen for a standard 6.5x55. I will be ecstatic if mine will do this! Especially with the accuracy you are getting.

Are you sure there is no secret ingredient you aren't telling us about.... Snail Snot or frog spit.... maybe you got naked pics of a witch doctor or something!

Whatever it is, I am jealous!

Oh hardly! I can't wait until mine gets done. As a matter of fact, I think I will call and "check in" with my smith today. He has had 4 weeks... that is enough time right??? I am sure he would love to hear from me =)

LOL

Ha, I figured I was throwing mine in the htx tex I have in the corner, still undecided on glass. I just want to get it done before I turn into ghost for the hunting season

Hah, I like how we're all waiting on something.
This will be a lively thread once we actually get to shoot targets with said builds.

The Vortex 5-20HD is a great scope, no matter the Gen. That would be a nice set-up. I've used Ziess, Leupold's and a NF over the years and liked them just fine, but my two most recent Vortex scopes I have zero complaints about. Not one bad thing to say - and I just made a thread with 15 or so Pros and Cons about my $1k chassis.

I thought bout a gen 1 razor or just wait till the steiners drop in sept. Not sure, heads spinning. I need a better scope for benchrest than the sn-3x17 uso im using now, just need little more mag and a sack of cash. Im not a scope swapper from gun to gun so each gun gets its glass. Just takes little longer

I just purchased a rifle with this round also. A buddy shoots his agains my .260 and they both shoot great. However mine has a 20" barrel. I'm not worried about the loss of velocity. Thanks for the 4831 load data. I have way too much of that powder and no R22

I just purchased a rifle with this round also. A buddy shoots his agains my .260 and they both shoot great. However mine has a 20" barrel. I'm not worried about the loss of velocity. Thanks for the 4831 load data. I have way too much of that powder and no R22

What velocity are you seeing with the 20"? I'm thinking my next build will be a Swede but I prefer a shorter barrel.

Wow, that is fast! That is probably some of the fastest numbers I have seen for a standard 6.5x55. I will be ecstatic if mine will do this! Especially with the accuracy you are getting.

Are you sure there is no secret ingredient you aren't telling us about.... Snail Snot or frog spit.... maybe you got naked pics of a witch doctor or something!

Whatever it is, I am jealous!

No secrets. I just got lucky as my smith had a 6.5x55 SKAN reamer he got second hand so we decided to try it out. And it works!!! Let's me load 140s way out there.

I thought bout a gen 1 razor or just wait till the steiners drop in sept. Not sure, heads spinning. I need a better scope for benchrest than the sn-3x17 uso im using now, just need little more mag and a sack of cash. Im not a scope swapper from gun to gun so each gun gets its glass. Just takes little longer

You shoot BR? What distance and with what rifle?

Very nice sir. A lot of people here trash talk benchrest but I dont think many realize how much benchrest has contributed to shooting in general. Berger bullets for example, probably wouldnt be around if BR was not. Mr Walt Berger is in the benchrest Hall of Fame. Dave Tooley, who now is contracting for Accuracy International and Remington last I heard, got his reputation in benchrest shooting, point-blank and long range. Bruno`s Shooters supply, first catered to benchrest but is now an awesome place period. I could go on and on.

^^ I bounce around. I shoot highpower 2x a week. I usually just shoot fclass. The guys dont mind. Right now Im just shooting a 308.
300yard br once or 2x month.
y3esygab.jpg

OOHhhh..... I see how it is!

LOL

Got UPS confirmation mine is waiting on me when I get home. That was a great deal!

It's also on clearance on Midway - but that means u can't use discount codes.
About $4.50 more than amoostore for 3 boxes to where I am.

Drink up. Just don't buy all the brass up so the rest of us can still get some! LOL.

It is a fun round for sure, and I am really looking forward to playing with the improved version. My smith needs to hurry up though. My mind keeps racing and I keep coming up with other "toys" I need. For a free site this place sure is expensive!

Is this my fault? Haha. Good to see they have quick shipping. Might have to put in a preemptive order. I have a stiller tac 300 on the way and think I might drink the cool aid.

I am not sure my Smith even has the plain 6.5x55 reamer let alone the AI. Anyone have their own? Wanna share or rent?

Im not possative but if you look at the charts 6.5 creed and the 6.5 swede I belive are same piece

Backspace, if you will read back on one of the earlier posts on this thread Layton was offering up his reamer. I think it is at his smith's but I am sure you guys could work something out. I will say, with the results he is getting, I wish I had used his!