• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

Lack of experience speaking

Lack of experience is an odd statement. I tried it and it didn’t give the desired results. Maybe bad experience or unusual experience, but it was my experience. I saw no reason to continue down the path as I found a powder that worked and moved on.

I use a 8” drop tube the same as I need to load PPC .When I ran out of Varget and H-4895 I switched over to Vihtavuori N-150 and will never turn back .The boys in England have been using it in the benchrest world for years. I don’t know why it took so long to hear about it over here .
By chance do you what the charge is with the N 150?

No drop tube.
So I don't have a drop tube, but I did pressure testing today. Lapua brass, Hornady 105 bthp, cci 450 primer. seated .02 off the lands. Started at 28 grains and went to 31.4 and stopped. Once I got past 31. The bolt became a little stiff on the lift. Once I hit 31.4, it was very noticable. Had some swipe marks on the brass too. Think I might be done with this experiment. Which is unfortunate because I have 2 pounds of H4350 left from my 6cm
IMG_20230205_150249_hdr.jpg

Hard bolt lift is to much
Yeah I figured as much. I just had high hopes when I read 34 grains, and others using that much powder in a 6br. I think if i put 34 grains in mine, I'd have a catastrophic failure. Haha

By chance do you what the charge is with the N 150?
I’m running N-150 in My BRA 108 Berger’s. I work a ladder test to get to 31 grains in my 28” barrel. I would start lower and prove your own safe load . I love this powder all the way up to 6.5 creedmore.

Hey Guys... here's a new one. So I get off the phone with a buddy. He was about to have a 6BR (Kreiger) spun up for his action (Zeus). Sounds good so far right? Here is where it got weird to me. He made mention that getting 6BR in Lapua was difficult, but he had obtained some Alpha brass. He's then told, "sorry NG on Alpha, only Lapua" on this barrel.
So, what makes this throat so different that he can't run Alpha brass?

Hey Guys... here's a new one. So I get off the phone with a buddy. He was about to have a 6BR (Kreiger) spun up for his action (Zeus). Sounds good so far right? Here is where it got weird to me. He made mention that getting 6BR in Lapua was difficult, but he had obtained some Alpha brass. He's then told, "sorry NG on Alpha, only Lapua" on this barrel.
So, what makes this throat so different that he can't run Alpha brass?
Maybe/probably neck diameter is thicker on Alpha.?

While today was not the day to shoot for groups, it was a good day to practice in the wind. Hahah. 41F and 17MPH sustained with 25-30MPH gusts.

I wanted to test 105 Hybrids/Varget in this PVA Bartlein 1:7.5 6BR barrel. Its 0.113" FB. Ive shot 105's in my previous 6BR barrels but never in this one. Loaded up 1x Lapua, 30gr Varget and 105 Hybrids just barely kissing the lands... Shot them at 200yd in this crazy wind.

Honestly, for as windy as it was I was surprised how well they shot at 200.. Yes, I got a gust that blew at one out of the group on every group, but 4 shots all measured 1/4moa or less. Gonna load up 50rd or so to test at 500-700yd on the next calm day. I also have 2000 Lapua 105 Scenar L's coming to play with.

These are all 5 shot groups shot at 200yd, I only measured 4 shots on each group.. I left out the 1 shot in each group that got blown out of the group by the wind. No development is needed with how well its shooting. Will post up results at 500-700yd with this load on the next calm day.

Reactions: steve123 and lash
Ok, that's fine... but that can be turned.
Im left scratching my head on this.

I would ask for a print of the reamer the smith is going to use.... I have no problems shooting Alpha and Lapua in my 6BR's... I do have to drop my Lapua load as Alpha brass shows pressure sooner but thats about it.....

Reactions: Hardshot
I would ask for a print of the reamer the smith is going to use.... I have no problems shooting Alpha and Lapua in my 6BR's... I do have to drop my Lapua load as Alpha brass shows pressure sooner but thats about it.....
Ever shoot Peterson? Seems available.

Ever shoot Peterson? Seems available.

I have actually. I have 200pcs right now and Ive shot 100pc of it with my 29.4gr H4895 107smk load. Its good stuff but I had to drop my Lapua load in Peterson brass as it showed pressure... So drop down a grain and work up...

Another windy ass day but a little warmer... 49F and Sunny with a switching 12-15Mph wind. Shot the same load as yesterday but at 300, 600 and 636yd today..

28" Bartlein 1:7.5 HV
PVA Chambered 0.113fb
30gr Varget
105 Hybrids
1xLapua
Just kissing lands

For how windy it was and it kept switching directions, I was surprised with these results today. Very happy with them with ZERO load development but thats typical with 6BR. It shoots everything I throw at it! lol

636yd.... Just under 3" 5 Shots

Lapua brass
105 Berger Hybrid
Varget 30.2 grains
BR4 primers
2823 fps
ES 3
Just had a 600 yard match
45 shots / 3 strings of 15 shots @ 600 and measured under 4 inches ( counting wind and mirage )

Reactions: Schütze and lash
Any one load any varmint rounds with Hornady 58 grain vmax? I have plenty of brass and want to load up some gopher rounds.
I have plenty of higher weight bullets but sadly Ohio doesn’t have great natural backstops to run 105s.

Question for all of you 6br shooters in relation to shooting PRS matches - why pick the 6br over any of the other variants? (especially if you have switched from dasher, bra, brx, etc. )

Is the potential and real accuracy of the 6br noticeable over the others? Or is it just academic? And @padom stated earlier in this thread that any load he produces for the 6br just shoots - is it that way with the variants? Or is that a unique characteristic of the 6br where the difference is actual and noticeable?
thank you

Question for all of you 6br shooters in relation to shooting PRS matches - why pick the 6br over any of the other variants? (especially if you have switched from dasher, bra, brx, etc. )

Is the potential and real accuracy of the 6br noticeable over the others? Or is it just academic? And @padom stated earlier in this thread that any load he produces for the 6br just shoots - is it that way with the variants? Or is that a unique characteristic of the 6br where the difference is actual and noticeable?
thank you

Some people just like the extra ease of the br over the other variants. If you can’t get hand stamped brass for the others then fire forming is involved in different degree’s. Now you can get dasher brass, and bra brass so that isn’t the case as much any more. In general though the bra and br seem to have easier tunes than a dasher. That doesn’t take anything away from the dasher as the dasher’s record speaks for itself, the br and bra are really just hitting the easy button.

Like I mentioned above I am kind of new to the br. I’ve had it about a month and 500 rounds. I also own 2 bra barrels with 2800 rounds and 100 rounds. I’ve owed a creed and spend time with an xc. Now I won’t comment much on the xc as it’s what I have the least experience with. The BRA and BR are mind blowing easy. Everything from fire forming, break in to load development just shoot. You’re choosing what shoots the best but over 90% of them still shot better than my best creed loads. The creeds are awesome but burn throats, prone to carbon rings (all calibers get it but my 6 creeds got them quick) and required a little more to stay in tune.

Between the bra and br there isn’t a clear winner for me. The option of factory ammo is there for both as if that was the case you can just grab Lapua 6br ammo and shoot it in both and it shoots good in both. The br is slightly easier technically if you want to look at it with the fact there isn’t the step of fire forming (wasting barrel life) yet technically you should once fire brass anyways (fire form to chamber) before optimally developing a load so if you play by those rules it levels the playing field. The BRA has the advantage of possibly longer brass life and less trimming, and hitting the higher node with the sharper shoulder, hiding pressure better and a touch more powder. in my case that’s 1.2 grains and only 30 fps so is it worth jt. I can get more out of it but that’s where it shoots.

Here is an example of the fire forming loads and barrel break in of the new BRA barrel from 2 days ago and that was also a random load, with a powder I haven’t used in a bra, with a bullet I don’t have experience with seated .005 thou off. So you can see both the bra and br are extremely easy
24CEAB3F-4B7C-4A1F-85CA-7EED7B555EB3.jpeg
9FA18B00-B7A9-4A22-B194-965A4E56EEBF.jpeg
7680E1FE-CDFB-4A1D-B85A-A7C16E24396C.jpeg
C8B56A52-1505-4447-AD3C-19595FE77EFA.jpeg
7667A359-729B-4090-9CC2-63301CEEBACF.jpeg
8A511ECF-0395-44FA-98E3-8D325B825EFE.jpeg
21676C8E-D06F-4D54-BE64-672C9064458A.jpeg

Last edited:

thank you
Currently many top PRS shooters recommend a 6mm projectile such as Berger 105 Hybrid launched at 2820-2860 fps to minimize recoil and assist with seeing impacts and misses. 6BR does that easily with known data so load development almost zero.

6BRA and 6Dasher similar but can be sent down range faster if you want/need. In the Southeast, I see a lot of dashers, BR, and BRA with some 6GT and 6 Creedmoors. I shot out my 6XC barrel and rechambered to 6BRA (already had a 6BR).

Anyone use berger 95 vld with varget in a 1-8 twist or faster?
Did load development with 105 Hornady BTHP which absolutely hammered. Then tried 107 SMK and was not that great. Still have 108eldm to try.

Reactions: Jay_223
Anyone use berger 95 vld with varget in a 1-8 twist or faster?
Did load development with 105 Hornady BTHP which absolutely hammered. Then tried 107 SMK and was not that great. Still have 108eldm to try.

107smk/29.3gr H4895 is stupid accurate in my 6BR's...

I actually just picked up a few thousand Lapua 105 Scenar-L to play with in my 6BR. Will post results up once I test them

What kind of speed are you getting with the 107 smk / h4895
I'm curious as well. I went from the 105 hybrid and 105 match burner at 2820/2840 with H4350 to the 107 smk and they just don't want to get above 2800 without a lot more powder

105 Berger Hybrid 1.776” bto
28.9 grains of IMR 4166
Alpha brass
Federal 205 match primers
2775 fps

There was a node at 30.2 grains going 2880 fps but it shoots amazing at the above load. I have some N140 to test later since 4166 is no longer being made. I dropped 5 shots at yesterday’s Regional PRS match for second place. One hit behind the winner. I’m loving this little cartridge!

Reactions: lash
I'm getting 2775 ish with 32.6 grains of H4350 under a 112 Barns MB.
All load work-up was done at 40° and proved Hot when ambient temps were at 73°. ( I was really just wanting to see how hard I could push this little case). I will need to re visit to find lower node to prolong brass and barrel life, but this thing flat out shoots
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_1667.jpg
!

This is 980 yards with strong 12-20 gusts.
Once I found my wind ( 2 mills) I was on target and only had 4 rounds left. Not too bad on the vertical string and I'll take the horizontal as it was definitely the wind.

I just finished loading up a new batch of Lapua brass with a 105 Lapua Scenar-L over 30gr Varget touching lands.

Picked up a few thousand of these 105 Scenar-L a few months ago and finally getting around to testing them out. I've shot plenty of 6.5 139gr and 123gr but this is my first time shooting Lapua 6mm bullets

Be interesting to see how they compare to my 105 Hybrid and 107smk loads.

Will be shooting them out of my 28" Bartlein 1-7.5 PVA /TL3

I just finished loading up a new batch of Lapua brass with a 105 Lapua Scenar-L over 30gr Varget.

Picked up a few thousand of these 105 Scenar-L a few months ago and finally getting around to testing them out. I've shot plenty of 6.5 139gr and 123gr but this is my first time shooting Lapua 6mm bullets

Be interesting to see how they compare to my 105 Hybrid and 107smk loads.

Will be shooting them out of my 28" Bartlein 1-7.5 PVA /TL3

Very interested to see your results and velocities. I have an ATX with a 26" Bartlein 1-7.5 and have been shooting factory Lapua, which is sloooooow, at 2670ish. Scott from AI says 30.2grs of Varget over the 105 Scenar in Lapua brass is the bomb.

Reactions: Hardshot
Very interested to see your results and velocities. I have an ATX with a 26" Bartlein 1-7.5 and have been shooting factory Lapua, which is sloooooow, at 2670ish. Scott from AI says 30.2grs of Varget over the 105 Scenar in Lapua brass is the bomb.

I'm interested as well. My typical speed with a 105 Hybrid and 107smk is 2830-2840... after I shoot this new brass I'll do a mini ocw with these scenars around my existing loads with H4895 and Varget.

Reactions: Defender3
Just got back from shooting the 105 Scenar-L's at 200yd with virgin brass and 30gr Varget. They were touchig to slight jam...

For no load work up, they shot pretty darn good. I shot them over the LabRadar and they were actually a tad faster than my 105 Hybrids and 107smk. I chrono 30rd and the avg was 2850 with single digit SD's..

After zeroing at 100yd, I shot most of them at 200yd on paper and banged a little steel. Ill now do a mini OCW and seating depth test with these to see what they like best. But I shot multiple .2-.3moa groups at 200yd with nothing over half moa and I was dealing with a 5-10mph wind. All in all, they shot great.

Reactions: lash and Defender3
Just got back from shooting the 105 Scenar-L's at 200yd with virgin brass and 30gr Varget. They were touchig to slight jam...

For no load work up, they shot pretty darn good. I shot them over the LabRadar and they were actually a tad faster than my 105 Hybrids and 107smk. I chrono 30rd and the avg was 2850 with single digit SD's..

After zeroing at 100yd, I shot most of them at 200yd on paper and banged a little steel. Ill now do a mini OCW and seating depth test with these to see what they like best. But I shot multiple .2-.3moa groups at 200yd with nothing over half moa and I was dealing with a 5-10mph wind. All in all, they shot great.

Appreciate the updates.

FWIW - When I was speaking with the AI guys, they said they stopped chasing the lands and simply loaded 60-90thou off with the BR. If it shot, it shot, if not, they worked another load. Rational was headspace could literally change each match they shot; 20 off wasn't 20 off after a match.

Appreciate the updates.

FWIW - When I was speaking with the AI guys, they said they stopped chasing the lands and simply loaded 60-90thou off with the BR. If it shot, it shot, if not, they worked another load. Rational was headspace could literally change each match they shot; 20 off wasn't 20 off after a match.

Honestly, Ive never shot that far off the lands in any of my BR's. Its not a barrel burner caliber like a 6cm, etc. I havent had to chase the lands or see accuracy drop off till close or more than 4000rds.

Reactions: lash
People scoff at me when they ask my method for jumping Bergers.
Find the lands, whatever that may be, it's an arbitrary value..... so whatever it is, it is. Find it and give the micrometer on the seating die a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Lock it down for the rest of the barrel.
It's almost too easy. Find the speed they want to run out of that barrel, and go.
Conversely, 6CM, 22-250, etc. or other throat burner cartridges and other bullets, you'll burn up a barrel trying to find what makes it happy. Couple hundred rounds later, back to square one.

Last edited:
Reactions: padom
The Scenar-L's??? I just started load development, so I haven't trued my final load at distance yet. I'll post up when I do shortly
Yeah, the Scenar-L, sorry. Looking forward to the results. I had great luck with the 139’s in my 6.5x47. Probably going to pick up a thousand to test out.

From left to right top row 29.2 29.4 29.6 29.8 30.0. All with 105 Berger Barrel is a strightjacket 1-7.5 21”. Suppressor is a TB ultra 9. Bottom row same except 4 rounds not 5. Now the fun part. Bottom right is 1 round of each and all in the same hole. So which one would you start with.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 90