• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

Then it doesn’t really matter. They all shoot the same.

Bullet Switch:
With the Berger 105 hybrids being non-existent and no sign of when they will be available, if ever... I'm going to switch bullets. I'm narrowing it down to the 107smk, Berger 108 Elite hunter or the Hornady 109. This will be using Varget and Federal primers. Sole application is PRS matches. Suggestions? Or am I putting too much thought into it?

Reactions: Hardshot
I've found 107smk to be very easy to tune in bra and gt, 108 elite in 6cm a bit more work. 109eldm was pretty easy in a gt as well. G7 on all these bullets to water line at 1k yards for me has been 0.282 to 0.289 so all very similar. Pick which one the rifle likes!

My experience with the the BRA I rate the 108 Elite Berger’s and 108 BT Berger’s my best choice. I do have 107 SMK but they sit on the shelf as a back up if I run out of 108 Berger’s. I use N-150 and H-4895 over Varget as I don’t want to stuck with low availability of Varget in the last few years.

Reactions: KingNothing88
Bullet Switch:
With the Berger 105 hybrids being non-existent and no sign of when they will be available, if ever... I'm going to switch bullets. I'm narrowing it down to the 107smk, Berger 108 Elite hunter or the Hornady 109. This will be using Varget and Federal primers. Sole application is PRS matches. Suggestions? Or am I putting too much thought into it?
You’re putting to much thought into it. It’s hard to find a 100-110grain bullet that won’t shoot. My only advice is buy enough for a barrel if you can.

Bullet Switch:
I couldn’t find Bergers either for a long time and have been shooting the Hornady 108 gn ELD-M and they shot good out of my Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro II. Give them a try. I don’t think you will be disappointed…

Reactions: KingNothing88
While I haven't tested any 110 A-Tips, I did just test these new 106 DOD A-Tips with Varget that Powder Valley is selling and they are stupid accurate.

28" Bartlein HV 7.5
Lapua brass
CCI 450
30.2gr Varget
0.01" Off Landa
2866 SD 4

4.3mil @ 700yds

I did no load workup, just took my 105 Hybrid 6BR load and seated them 0.01" off lands because my x47L 135 A-Tips love 0.01 off.

I shot 7 shots at 100yds to zero. After getting my poa matching my poi I had 3 shots go through the same hole. I moved right to 700yd to true and check accuracy...

Dialed 4.2...and this was my first 3 shots. Tad low but this group measured 1.108" CTC or 0.151 MOA

I then turned it over to my 13yr old son who went to town shooting some impressive 600yd groups (3.3mils) with this load 1.169" CTC or 0.186 MOA

Anyone try 110 Atips with varget? Thinking about trying them out but haven’t seen any data from anybody.
110 atips do okay in my 6bra. Found them to like 2830fps with varget in alpha brass. Haven't found the perfect seating depth but tried everything from 10k to 70k jump 1/2 moa and a lil smaller is the norm. I may need try a different powder.

While I haven't tested any 110 A-Tips, I did just test these new 106 DOD A-Tips with Varget that Powder Valley is selling and they are stupid accurate.

28" Bartlein HV 7.5
Lapua brass
CCI 450
30.2gr Varget
0.01" Off Landa
2866 SD 4

4.3mil @ 700yds
Estimate on the g7 bc on these Dom? 284 or so?

Last edited:
110 atips do okay in my 6bra. Found them to like 2830fps with varget in alpha brass. Haven't found the perfect seating depth but tried everything from 10k to 70k jump 1/2 moa and a lil smaller is the norm. I may need try a different powder.

Estimate on the g7 bc on these Dom? 284 or so?

Hmm. How would I figure that out? These don't have a published BC as they are a DOD bullet.

I used the Hornady 6mm 106 TAP AB Custo. Curve in my Kestrel, plugged in my MV and corrected from there...

Reactions: lash
Hmm. How would I figure that out? These don't have a published BC as they are a DOD bullet.

I used the Hornady 6mm 106 TAP AB Custo. Curve in my Kestrel, plugged in my MV and corrected from there...
You know your mv, input the bullet weight/length in kestrel with that days atmospherics, see what BC value required 4.3 mil of elevation at 700y. The problem with a 700y bc Calc, a 281-286g7(example values) would still prob all have same dope within 0.1 mil @ 700y. Rifle shooting good waterline, which yours clearly is, and 1200yd is where you'd really be able to true the bc/drops in. I ordered some those 106 atips after seeing your success. Will have to air them out and see what happens.

Reactions: DH302 and Tx_Aggie
You know your mv, input the bullet weight/length in kestrel with that days atmospherics, see what BC value required 4.3 mil of elevation at 700y. The problem with a 700y bc Calc, a 281-286g7(example values) would still prob all have same dope within 0.1 mil @ 700y. Rifle shooting good waterline, which yours clearly is, and 1200yd is where you'd really be able to true the bc/drops in. I ordered some those 106 atips after seeing your success. Will have to air them out and see what happens.

Gotcha I'll build a new Kestrel profile with bullet measurements and see...

FWIW there's a curve in 4DOF. I've always had good luck with 4DOF, but ymmv.

Running a few bullets at the same conditions (5000 ft, 59f, 50% rh, 2800 fps, 7.5 twist, no wind, angle, etc) I got the following elevation corrections at 1200 yds:

Berger 105 Hyb: 11.14
Berger 109 Hyb: 10.50
Sierra 107: 11.34
Hornady 106: 10.91
Hornady 108: 11.13
Hornady 109: 10.83
Hornady 110: 10.36

Assuming the data is sound, you're looking at a skosh behind a Hornady 109, I'd swag it in the .285 G7 ballpark.

FWIW there's a curve in 4DOF. I've always had good luck with 4DOF, but ymmv.

Running a few bullets at the same conditions (5000 ft, 59f, 50% rh, 2800 fps, 7.5 twist, no wind, angle, etc) I got the following elevation corrections at 1200 yds:

Berger 105 Hyb: 11.14
Berger 109 Hyb: 10.50
Sierra 107: 11.34
Hornady 106: 10.91
Hornady 108: 11.13
Hornady 109: 10.83
Hornady 110: 10.36

Assuming the data is sound, you're looking at a skosh behind a Hornady 109, I'd swag it in the .285 G7 ballpark.
That'll be close, I waterlined the 109eldm out of a 7.5tw at 2830fps around 0.285-286 g7 and looks like the 106 atip will be 283 maybe 284 or so. Thats good for a 106gr bullet. Newer lots of 107smk have been around 280, competing well with the 105hyb, plus cheap and available.

Anyone try the 100 grain Seneca Solids?

No, but I did lob a lot of the 95s out of an 8t BRA barrel. I liked them a lot.

ETA: I used 8208, also 30,8 grains. 30k of ran about 2950/28” barrel. Averaged about 5/8 but very consistent down range and in the wind.

Last edited:
@Robbva has the answer you seek
They group every bit as tight at 100 yards as the Bergers and Scenars from a battle rifle on a bag and a bipod. Anxious to see if the 304 BC /drag curve holds up at distance at Black Bear.

Attachments

• atip.pdf
    369.8 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Defender3
They group every bit as tight at 100 yards as the Bergers and Scenars from a battle rifle on a bag and a bipod. Anxious to see if the 304 BC /drag curve holds up at distance at Black Bear.
How soon will you be able to get to BB and what distance are you going to test at?

Anyone have the recommended OAL for a 70gr Sierra Blitzking in 6mm BR Norma?
I'm getting 1.642 CBTO or 2.100 OAL with 1 bullet diameter inside the neck excluing the boat tail.

Anyone have the recommended OAL for a 70gr Sierra Blitzking in 6mm BR Norma?
I'm getting 1.642 CBTO or 2.100 OAL with 1 bullet diameter inside the neck excluing the boat tail.
I've had good luck with many the sierra tipped and non tipped bullets 15-30k off touch of lands.

I've had good luck with many the sierra tipped and non tipped bullets 15-30k off touch of lands.
I can't get anwhere near the lands with this barrel on this bullet.
I can get 0.020" off the lands with an 87gr Hornady V-Max.
I'm preparing OCW tests for both of these bullets.
Tomorrow will be the first rounds I put down the barrel.
I've never shot or loaded 6mm BR before.

I can't get anwhere near the lands with this barrel on this bullet.
I can get 0.020" off the lands with an 87gr Hornady V-Max.
I'm preparing OCW tests for both of these bullets.
Tomorrow will be the first rounds I put down the barrel.
I've never shot or loaded 6mm BR before.
Dedicated varmint round with the 70s? Most guys with that plan go with zero to 0.050 freebore. The whole caliber diameter of seating depth minimum is old wives tale stuff. I ran my long freebore 6bra in a 140k freebore with 105s that we're maybe seated 170k into the neck jumping 40k and it shot amazing. As long you have 120-130k of bullet supported by the neck, you'll be good.

Dedicated varmint round with the 70s? Most guys with that plan go with zero to 0.050 freebore. The whole caliber diameter of seating depth minimum is old wives tale stuff. I ran my long freebore 6bra in a 140k freebore with 105s that we're maybe seated 170k into the neck jumping 40k and it shot amazing. As long you have 120-130k of bullet supported by the neck, you'll be good.
I really wasn’t planning to shoot this caliber but someone I knew bought a barreled action for the action itself and sold me the barrel for next to nothing. Other than the caliber and twist raté there are no markings as to who made the barrel.

It’s a 1-10 twist which is why I’m using light bullets.

I shot the 87gr V-Max yesterday with promising
results.

I’ll be shooting the 70gr this morning.

What surprises me the most is the lack of any heat in either the casings or the barrel compared to my 6.5 Creedmoor.
The barrel was virtually the same temperature the ambient air.
The casings were the same.

Pretty impressed with the 110 ATIPS so far.
Load was 30.2 Varget
.020 off the lands.
Holding about .2 less elevation and .1 less wind compared to my Berger 108bt load. Other perk with the atip is they leave a silver mark on the impact which makes it easier to make corrections.

Attachments

• F1F1CE77-67A7-486C-AD1B-43257BEEEEF2.jpeg
    F1F1CE77-67A7-486C-AD1B-43257BEEEEF2.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 16EEFA78-48FA-4FE9-ABC9-4A3063A0A80B.jpeg
    16EEFA78-48FA-4FE9-ABC9-4A3063A0A80B.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 66
Figured I would share a little info.
Just got in some alpha 6br to try, measured new lapua unfired at .200 line .468.
Measured alpha at .467. Fired lapua is. 470.
Kind of skeptical if the alpha is going to expand enough to grip the chamber tight enough to not have pressure problems.

Gripping the chamber, which it will have no problem doing, does nothing to change chamber pressure.

If anyone here has one of the Criterion 6BR barrels from Northland Shooters I'd love to hear your thoughts. Looking at doing one of their off the shelf pre-fits for my Origin or a couple of the Savage small shank barrel nut options as the wait time is 12-20 weeks otherwise. Thanks if ya have any experience with their barrel work.

Last edited:
If anyone here has one of the Criterion 6BR barrels from Northland Shooters I'd love to hear your thoughts. Looking at doing one of their off the shelf pre-fits for my Origin or a couple of the Savage small shank barrel nut options as the wait time is 12-20 weeks otherwise. Thanks if ya have any experience with their barrel work.

I don't but I did just test/review Urbanriflemans 6BR (Wilson Blank) Savage small Shank nut barrel prefit and it was a hammer. If you're looking for a nut barrel with fast turn around and cheap price that hammers I wouldn't sleep on it...

105 Lapua Scenar-L

105 Hybrids

105 Hybrid load 300yd

Reactions: Haney and lash
I don't but I did just test/review Urbanriflemans 6BR (Wilson Blank) Savage small Shank nut barrel prefit and it was a hammer. If you're looking for a nut barrel with fast turn around and cheap price that hammers I wouldn't sleep on it...

105 Lapua Scenar-L

105 Hybrids

105 Hybrid load 300yd

I have three barrels from Bradley , all shoot very well . Last time I ordered it only took a few days and my barrel was in the mail . Great guy that will guide you answer all your questions on the phone .Inexpensive is a nice bonus .

Reactions: padom and lash
Well looks like I can't go wrong with that one thanks Padom. I've read good things about Criterion was just putting a feeler out in case someone had one directly spun up by Northland Shooters. Thanks....the BR has been a long time coming. Takes me a long time to move on things, back and forth. Been so pleased with 6.5 doing what I needed it to that I dragged my feet foreevvvverrrr.

Reactions: lash and padom
Gripping the chamber, which it will have no problem doing, does nothing to change chamber pressure.
There’s quite a bit of info of guys showing “pressure” signs with the Alpha BRA brass at very low velocities due to the case dimensions and it not expanding.

Reactions: dhuf and DH302
There’s quite a bit of info of guys showing “pressure” signs with the Alpha BRA brass at very low velocities due to the case dimensions and it not expanding.
If you could measure the actual pressure, you’d see that it’s well within acceptable limits. What you may get is added bolt thrust though.

Alpha specs their own reamers a lil different than what everyone has been doing with lapua for last decade. They need smaller base chambers and dies that size less at the web area.

I’m pretty sure that @Mike Casselton tried it a couple years ago, but can’t remember the results. My guess is that StaBall Match would be a better fit, since it is faster and similar in use to Varget.

1701023198591.png

I’m pretty sure that @Mike Casselton tried it a couple years ago, but can’t remember the results. My guess is that StaBall Match would be a better fit, since it is faster and similar in use to Varget.

View attachment 8281694

Oh I didn't even know this S-Match existed?! Shows how out of touch I am these days.

Thanks a bunch for that info!

Anybody tried cramming Staball for heavy bullets into their 6mmBR?
Yeah, I used original StaBall on the BR with 105s. I got 2825fps through a 22" barrel.
It worked fine, but it developed a carbon ring pretty quickly.
Could have been caused by the powder charge. My experience is that ball powders operate best at maximum charges.

Since there isn't production data listed, I won't post my charge weight.
Don't ask.

Staball match is slightly faster than regular Staball and should be a great powder for the BR.