• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher

I ran some tests with 4166 and Berger 109’s last week. Running 32.5g i was getting 2922 fps and from the hits at 1000, just as accurate as the Varget load. Have more testing, but really hope 4166 works out.

Reactions: 260284 and Shawd43
I ran some tests with 4166 and Berger 109’s last week. Running 32.5g i was getting 2922 fps and from the hits at 1000, just as accurate as the Varget load. Have more testing, but really hope 4166 works out.
keep us posted on the 4166, I have a jug sitting by just in case I don't find anymore varget as my last few pounds are slowly dwindling.

109’s with 30.0 varget. No load development. Just 30.0 varget with 109 0.30 ish off lands for the first few hundred rounds. Barrel sped up from 2780/90

Is this with peterson brass? And you liking it?
I am about to jump into the dasher world.

So hey folks, sorry I'm a bit late here, but looking at IMR 4166 for dasher as Varget is really tough to get right now. I have heard good things about this powder as an alternative (only in times like this) to Varget. I just bought an 8lb jug of 4166, maybe for use in practice vs. matches? Thank you for everyone's help!!!

Try N150 . I couldn’t find Varget and went with N150 since there is no shortage of that powder locally.

really happy with it.

Reactions: mthomas001
Its good to see some other powders listed than Varget, my supply is getting short as is everyone's, looking at 4166 any others? RE16? I have used 8208 as well in the past but it's just as scarce as Varget.

Shooters World Precision (Red label on the container) has been really good and IMR 4166 has been Awesome so far. I have heard that Shooters World can be very temp sensitive but honestly I find a fair amount of variation in MV in big temp swings no matter what I use.

Shooters World Precision (Red label on the container) has been really good and IMR 4166 has been Awesome so far. I have heard that Shooters World can be very temp sensitive but honestly I find a fair amount of variation in MV in big temp swings no matter what I use.
Good to hear. I think 4166 is my next stop. Ill post my results once I test it.

I ran a small test with 4166 and ran it out to 1000. 7.5 mils, not quite as fast/flat and no pressure so far.

I snagged the last 2 lbs at the shop today. trying to decide if I run load development now or wait unit my Varget is completely gone. I was hoping for more but Ill gladly take what I can right now.

2000 MR seems to be of decent stock locally but Im not sure it really fills the void of Varget. Trying to find options since Varget and 8208 XBR are both scarce.

i just got 8lbs of single 1 lbr's from brownells last week of 8208. gotta keep an eye out and not rely on the notifications.

Been testing slower loads the Varget and 4166 with 109s, both of the below were .2-.4 MOA

Bartlein 1:7.5 26 inch
Laupa Brass
BR4- Primers

31.3 Varget- Flat spot between 31.2 to 31.5 running at 2840
31.4 4166- Flat spot between 31.3 to 31.6 running at 2835
Thanks for the info!! Bear with me here, but when you said "flat spot", did you mean that your MV's were very close together from 31.2-31.5 with Varget and 31.3-31.6 with 4166? Many thanks again!!

Thanks for the info!! Bear with me here, but when you said "flat spot", did you mean that your MV's were very close together from 31.2-31.5 with Varget and 31.3-31.6 with 4166? Many thanks again!!

Yes sir basically it was where the MV did not have that much variation between loads meaning you have a window where you know it will be consistent. Between 31.3 and 31.6 there was 15 FPS difference......31.3-31.4 5 FPS difference.......31.4-31.5 5 FPS difference......31.5-31.6 5FPS difference.

Reactions: mthomas001
Yes sir basically it was where the MV did not have that much variation between loads meaning you have a window where you know it will be consistent. Between 31.3 and 31.6 there was 15 FPS difference......31.3-31.4 5 FPS difference.......31.4-31.5 5 FPS difference......31.5-31.6 5FPS difference.
Awesome thanks!!

Has anyone tried the Berger 108 Elite hunter on game, yet? Wondering how they perform on wild pigs and deer.

I’m on my 3rd Dasher barrel. I also have one at A-Team Precision to be chambered. I’ve been testing the lower nodes with 107 SMK’s, 105 Hybrids and the 109 LR Hybrids. I’m really liking the SMK’s and 109’s slower. 2880-2900 for both. Very accurate and easy extraction in wet conditions.

Reactions: mj1995
Has anyone tried the Berger 108 Elite hunter on game, yet? Wondering how they perform on wild pigs and deer.

I’m on my 3rd Dasher barrel. I also have one at A-Team Precision to be chambered. I’ve been testing the lower nodes with 107 SMK’s, 105 Hybrids and the 109 LR Hybrids. I’m really liking the SMK’s and 109’s slower. 2880-2900 for both. Very accurate and easy extraction in wet conditions.

the 109 hybrid has been fantastic in my dasher. In virgin brass I am running them about 2920.

Reactions: NELAshooter
Question: I have brand new 6BR Lapua brass that has been hydroformed to 6 dasher, should I be AMP annealing this before I run it thru my Forster full size die? I need to size it because the neck is opened up as if it were fired so I can’t just mandrel it and the load.
once I get a few fired brass I will use a Harrell’s die based on that size to size the rest with appropriate bushing then mandrel size then load. That is my plan. Thanks for any help

Question: I have brand new 6BR Lapua brass that has been hydroformed to 6 dasher, should I be AMP annealing this before I run it thru my Forster full size die? I need to size it because the neck is opened up as if it were fired so I can’t just mandrel it and the load.
once I get a few fired brass I will use a Harrell’s die based on that size to size the rest with appropriate bushing then mandrel size then load. That is my plan. Thanks for any help

I wouldn't. I'd size it, load a bullet and shoot it. I'd anneal after the first firing.

I just finished firing 200 virgin Alpha brass. Will start load devt next week and share results. With the virgin brass, primers were PITA to seat; hard bullet seating as well even with dry neck lube.

Alpha has to be fired to start load development ? And can you start load development with brass from DJ's and HuntsLongRange.com or does it need to be fired one time .
Thanks

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Alpha has to be fired to start load development ? And can you start load development with brass from DJ's and HuntsLongRange.com or does it need to be fired one time .
Thanks
Based on other members’ experience, there’s quite a bit of difference in muzzle velocity and pressure signs between virgin and fired alpha brass. No idea about Hunts and DJs.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I can verify both subjects. Hunts hydro brass needs no FF to do load development but I would run them in a mandrel before loading.
Alpha needs to be FF at least once. There was a very noticeable difference between virgin and 1xF but some people are seeing differences after 2x and 3x fired. I quit using it after 1xf bc I hated those fucking primer pockets. Ill keep them for a rainy day tho. Lapua over everything

Reactions: RickyK and CV_Ag
When you use the proper reamer you don’t have issue. No difference between virgin brass vs twice or 3x fired.

BLKWLFK9. , What size mandrel are you using ? Any experience with Norma 6 Dasher Brass ? I have one box on the way until i get my brass from Hunts !!!
Thanks

BLKWLFK9. , What size mandrel are you using ? Any experience with Norma 6 Dasher Brass ? I have one box on the way until i get my brass from Hunts !!!
Thanks

It's the Sinclair 6mm neck turn mandrel. Sets it for .002 neck tension

Reactions: RickyK
Thanks
Also, the norma brass won't fit in your chamber if your chamber was cut for lapua brass. Ive never used it because they don't make it anymore and well, lapua over everything. Ive heard its pretty soft brass as well. The necks on the norma brass are longer than lapua necks (norma actually had that part right) so if u want to use it, you're going to have to trim all your brass down to lapua specs.

Reactions: RickyK
Thanks. , I just bought the norma until I can get rolling with the Lapua . Should have my gun in about 2 weeks ...

I have a Norma chambered dasher and the norma brass has been very good. I have 1100 rounds on my original 150 pieces. I just anneal them every second or third firing.

I haven't seen any loads with Vihtavouri N540. I snagged some from powder valley in case I run out of Varget and can't get more.

Quickload says 31.5 grains of N540 with a 105 Hybrid is the same pressure and within 7 FPS of my normal 31.0 Varget load. I just went and shot 15 rounds of the 31.5 N540 and I could not tell the difference from the Varget load except for the after smell. Same zero, group size, and velocity.

28 inch bartlein 4 groove 1:7.5 twist, Hydroformed Lapua brass, CCI 450. Both loads were 2,915 FPS or at least close enough they went into the same waterline at 825 yards.

Reactions: evtschromd
Can anyone tell me the loaded diameter of 6 Dasher Alpha Brass OCD with a 105gr Berger Hybrid Target? Trying to order my sizing bushings right now and Midway has all sizes in stock. I just didn't want to order 10, it adds up.

Promising results with 105 Rdf and RL16. I also tried H4350 but rifle didn’t like it. I only fired 3 shots per load to conserve primers. Pulled 3rd shot on grp 3 but vertical still looks good (4 out of 5 groups would have been sub half moa). I’ll will load 33.9, 34, and 34.1 gr next trip.
3791E918-60B3-45EE-8DFE-E6273AEE6F60.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge
Jumping into the Dasher pool. I have 400 of the Peterson brass, a couple hundred Sierra 107s to break in the barrel, and a couple thousand of the Berger 109s for after break in. Had the barrel chambered with a .104" FB and a .275" neck for the thicker Peterson brass. I have Varget and Rl16 to play with, any idea on a starting load for both powders? Going to send some fired brass to Harrells for a bushing die as soon as I get 3 firings on some.