• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher

I have a .104 freebore in this barrel, but may bump that up on the next one.

That’s the same FB I have. Is the boat/bearing surface junction on any of the bullets you tried below the shoulder/neck junction on the brass?

That’s the same FB I have. Is the boat/bearing surface junction on any of the bullets you tried below the shoulder/neck junction on the brass?

Yes. The 108's for sure are seated quite far into the case and I could snap a quick picture if you'd like? Playing around with the 110 SMK's and 105 RDF's, I had them all seated pretty deep.

In saying that, I am getting really good speeds out of my Dasher now and I jump the 108's 0.030" for pretty consistent groups :)

If it works it works. I was just curious since it has such a short neck. What are your speeds now?

I’ve had an interesting venture so far with my dashers load development. I’ll post this here in hopes it helps save someone else time and barrel life.

I am 400 rounds in now, including 100 rounds from a match.

I could not get this thing to group at 100 to save my life, SDs were very good, but groups were shit. With both 105 hybrids and 112s, see picture.
To save a lot of picture uploading take my word for it that groups were like this among 4 different powders, two bullets and every seating depth imaginable.
7347571D-5CD8-4517-AE3C-E4A3D014862A.jpeg

I thought there was something wrong with the thing, and my gunsmith thought there might be too. But I had a match coming up and said what the hell, the SDs are good, I’ll just fireform this hydro brass and at the very least I’ll have fireformed brass by the end of the match. Well, I took first place in the match. Did not expect that. But just goes to show 100 yard groups aren’t everything.

In talking with my buddy after the match about how shitty this thing shoots, he said try neck tension and that his dasher liked more than usual. I’d never needed to do anything but the standard .0015 to .002, so I went home and loaded up a string with various neck tensions with every bushing and mandrel I had available. Pic below.
49623C70-0EA6-46C7-B6EF-B8A5B93681F4.jpeg

Interesting....some definite improvement there. However the added neck tension brought my pressures up too much and my primers were very very cratered, to the point they were starting to extrude into the firing pin hole. (Load was 32.4 of H4895 at 3000fps) So I decided the final task would be to go and revisit lower nodes I’d seen show up in testing before.

And here we are..
112gr Barnes Match Burner
31.6gr H4895
.015 off the lands
.265 neck bushing
2886fps SD: 2.6
Yes, that is 5 shots.
B55878CD-2BBB-4113-8ADC-73BFDEE61C1C.jpeg

105 Hybrid
31.4gr H4895
.015 off the lands
.265 neck bushing
2951fps SD: 2.0
D726D053-E36B-497F-B2C3-51EE3248853A.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been using 31.5 gn of varget under a 107smk. Cci450 primer. 20 thou off the lands. Been shooting really well for me at 2920fps

I’ve had an interesting venture so far with my dashers load development. I’ll post this here in hopes it helps save someone else time and barrel life.

I am 400 rounds in now, including 100 rounds from a match.

I could not get this thing to group at 100 to save my life, SDs were very good, but groups were shit. With both 105 hybrids and 112s, see picture.
To save a lot of picture uploading take my word for it that groups were like this among 4 different powders, two bullets and every seating depth imaginable.
View attachment 7069864

I thought there was something wrong with the thing, and my gunsmith thought there might be too. But I had a match coming up and said what the hell, the SDs are good, I’ll just fireform this hydro brass and at the very least I’ll have fireformed brass by the end of the match. Well, I took first place in the match. Did not expect that. But just goes to show 100 yard groups aren’t everything.

In talking with my buddy after the match about how shitty this thing shoots, he said try neck tension and that his dasher liked more than usual. I’d never needed to do anything but the standard .0015 to .002, so I went home and loaded up a string with various neck tensions with every bushing and mandrel I had available. Pic below.
View attachment 7069870

Interesting....some definite improvement there. However the added neck tension brought my pressures up too much and my primers were very very cratered, to the point they were starting to extrude into the firing pin hole. (Load was 32.4 of H4895 at 3000fps) So I decided the final task would be to go and revisit lower nodes I’d seen show up in testing before.

And here we are..
112gr Barnes Match Burner
31.6gr H4895
.015 off the lands
.265 neck bushing
2886fps SD: 2.6
Yes, that is 5 shots.
View attachment 7069872

105 Hybrid
31.4gr H4895
.015 off the lands
.265 neck bushing
2951fps SD: 2.0
View attachment 7069875

Patrick,
That is quite the difference from the early loads... dang, you have it dialed in now!!

Good to see another good powder option in H4895.

Just out of curiosity, what bushing were you using before settling in on the .265 bushing?

You water check this load Patrick? I was blowing primers at 31.0 grains of 4895 during the rain matches, VPRC and Frontline. Went back to Varget because of that.

so i think im going to try a dasher, might be a dumb question, but am i able to just use once fired br brass and fire form it?

so i think im going to try a dasher, might be a dumb question, but am i able to just use once fired br brass and fire form it?
Yes. Most people either load it long so it jams into the lands or create a false shoulder. These methods both help create a better form to the new chamber. That or you can hydro form it. Some people are paying to have it hydro-formed as well. I know some very high level PRS shooters just load it 30 thou into the lands and shoot it and have great results fire forming. Others swear by other methods. Me personally I do the easy way and jam and shoot.

Reactions: Mallison
Yes. Most people either load it long so it jams into the lands or create a false shoulder. These methods both help create a better form to the new chamber. That or you can hydro form it. Some people are paying to have it hydro-formed as well. I know some very high level PRS shooters just load it 30 thou into the lands and shoot it and have great results fire forming. Others swear by other methods. Me personally I do the easy way and jam and shoot.

Hydroforming 500 pcs sucks and really takes 2 people. Use U shaped shims under the die to adjust headspace and it will fit tight in your chamber for fireforming.

So I just got my hydroformed lapua brass from Rimefiremike. I thought I read to anneal before loading the first time with how much the brass has already been worked. Is that true?

Should I put it through a mandrel or sizer die at all or just anneal, load, and shoot?

Simpy16,
I have run the brass I made for you through a Forster full length size die and then tumbled the lube off as the last step in prepping the brass.

Since the new Lapua 6 BR brass is annealed from the factory, I haven't bothered annealing mine before shooting the first time after hydroforming, but do anneal on each firing after that first one.
I have put about 500 rounds of newly hydroformed brass through my rifle doing this and not had an issue with a single piece of brass yet. Most of those 500 are now 2 or 3 times fired.
That being said, it won't hurt anything if you anneal before loading the first time.
Whether you anneal or not, the brass should be ready to load. I've been averaging .25 moa or better when shooting for group size on paper with the first firing of the brass.

Reactions: Mallison
Don't waste your time with XBR8208 in the Dasher, it's not nearly as accurate or consistent as VARGET.
That's discouraging. I wanted to make a Dillon friendly practice load for 105 hybrids at the same velocity as 32.4gr of varget.
Would 8208 work better with the 95tmk?

Back to the Dillon powder thrower...would ramshot TAC work under the 105hybrid to 2950? It meters good through mechanical throwers.

What about 2000MR?

I'm pretty sure Varget, 4166, and 4895 only play with electronic throwers.

That's discouraging. I wanted to make a Dillon friendly practice load for 105 hybrids at the same velocity as 32.4gr of varget.

Back to the Dillon powder thrower...would ramshot TAC work under the 105hybrid to 2950? It meters good through mechanical throwers.

What about 2000MR?

What about 2000MR?

I have not tried this yet, but it would be a very easy load on a progressive press?
9DD0DD10-3C94-4836-95D0-F6DB038B801F.png

You don't know whether your gun will like it until you try it. You should be able to make speed with it, somewhere around 30.5-31gr of XBR will get you in the same ballpark as Varget load with a 105 at 2950 fps.

I've heard of some guys having success with XBR, and it shot great for me at lower speeds (see earlier in this thread).

Reactions: RC101

What about 2000MR?

I've ALWAYS been interested in trying RamShot TAC with a Dasher, to take advantage of the Dillon thrower. TAC seems to meter like water, and it's what I used for 223 with good results. I've even used TAC with 308 and 155gr Noslers for the sake of easy loading on a Dillon. If I had more time, I'd certainly mess with TAC in a Dasher, but haven't been able to. If you try it out, let us know your results. I'd be very curious.

My dasher barrel will be here tomorrow.

27” HH
.150 Freebore
7 twist m24 contour
Brass from @Rimfiremike

I’ve got 105s and 112s on hand. But will be focusing on the 112s as they have shot great in my 6BR.

I’ve got RL16, H4895, 4166 and varget on hand. Lots of H4895 so I am hoping to use that. From what I’m reading H4895 may be a bit fast for the 112. Didn’t have an issue in 6BR though.

i use 4895 for 110s SMKs ... they love it.

Picking up a pva hawk hill barrel
Will fireform 300 pcs of brass using varget and 205m primers and some 105 rdf blem bullets
I want to be at 3000-3050 with match loads
Currently shooting br but not happy with my speeds

Picking up a pva hawk hill barrel
Will fireform 300 pcs of brass using varget and 205m primers and some 105 rdf blem bullets
I want to be at 3000-3050 with match loads
Currently shooting br but not happy with my speeds

Speed is really not important (have you looked at your ballistics calculator and run the wind for different speeds?) having a rain safe load and not trashing your brass is important. Unfortunately you don’t really get to select a speed and should shoot it where you find accuracy. 3000-3050 is too hot for most barrels unless you’re around 30”. I run a 27” hawk hill and 3000 is way too hot.

My fireform loads will be the normal 30gr jammed
I’m hoping to be able to get 3000fps with berger 105 and 4166 powder and cci primer
I can get stupid speeds with a ball powder in my br, but not temp stable at all

Thought I was seeing people getting 3000 with a dasher ? Am I mistaken

Every barrel is different, it’s hard to say what you might get. You might hit pressure at 2925, someone else might not hit pressure until 3025. 3000+ and a rain safe load is very unlikely from a dasher. 3050 and not trashing your brass is unlikely.

Average speed for PRS shooters with a Dasher 105's in a 26" barrel is ~2950. I'd take take a rain safe, easy functioning 2900 fps over a hot 3000 fps any day.

If you're running around the low to mid 32gr of Varget range you're likely in the sweet spot, and just be happy with whatever speed your barrel gives.

Ok, thank you
I’ll keep ya updated once I get my barrel and do some tinkering

I bought some hydroformed brass and went out with my Dasher for the first time today. I had planned to burn through around 50 rounds to get the barrel broke in a little and then do some basic loads that increase in grains of powder to see what my barrel likes or to see if I can find a pressure point. The first 50 rounds shot no problem and I instantly fell in love with the cartridge. When I went to the "load development" rounds I had 1-2 in each 5 round test group that I could not get my action to close on, nothing, no budging. I tried several times and could not figure out what the problem was.

I am wondering if those pieces of brass were not formed properly in the shoulder and thus would not allow it to see in far enough? Anybody have any other thoughts. Is there a way around this to get the brass to work or would it need to be pulled and discarded?

Measure out the fired brass, then measure out the pieces that did not fit and see what the difference is. You could also set up your sizing die based on the fired round for a little shoulder bump, then run the brass that wouldn't fit through the sizer, give it a quick check in the rifle to see if it chambers. I'm guessing you didn't have the rounds that wouldn't fit loaded too long and you were jamming them?

That was basically the road I was going to venture down to see if I can get them to work. No, the rounds shouldn't have been too long. they were all the same seating depth just different powder charges, but I am going to confirm that as well before I pull them.

That was basically the road I was going to venture down to see if I can get them to work. No, the rounds shouldn't have been too long. they were all the same seating depth just different powder charges, but I am going to confirm that as well before I pull them.
If the cases we're stuffed full you could have some spring back from the projectile not wanting to stay logged because of powder occupieng all of case volume... Just a though, it's happened to me before

Has anyone played with the new 115 RDF in the Dasher yet? I have a few blems that I'm going to try a load for but I'm not holding my breath after my experience with the 105's.

Has anyone played with the new 115 RDF in the Dasher yet? I have a few blems that I'm going to try a load for but I'm not holding my breath after my experience with the 105's.

I haven't tried the 115 RDF's yet, but am looking forward to hearing how they work for you.
I know a lot of people hate on the 105 RDF's, but I paid $14/100 shipped for the blems I have and they are averaging 0.4 MOA groups for me. No sorting/measuring/weighing... just load 'em and shoot.
Sure, my 108 ELD loads average 0.2 MOA, but those are $30/100 shipped.

The good news is the RDF's and ELD's both shoot to the same point of impact in my rifle and have the same dope out to 1000 yards, so I have some pretty inexpensive practice ammo. Actually use it in some matches as well if that's what is loaded and ready to go.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
105 Rdf we're garbage in my dasher. Played with way to many of them trying g to find a load and nothing better than just under 1moa. Didn't change a thing but swapped to Berger 105 hybrid and boom 1/4 moa like buttah.

I loaded some yesterday and am heading to the range tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. The 105's shot ok out of my rifle.

Thought I was seeing people getting 3000 with a dasher ? Am I mistaken

The "high node" can be around 3020-3050 fps, but I wouldn't chase it. I'm on my 4th dasher barrel and it shoots well at 3030 fps... 1st barrel I've had that'll do that speed.. Most seem to like 2940-2960 as others have mentioned.

Reactions: Patty
Shot the 115's this weekend with quite promising results! I didn't shoot for groups yet, but I did a ladder test with FF'ed Lapua brass and Varget, to which I found pressure in my gun around 2890 ft/s, and a very promising node around 2825-2840 ft/s. I will load up some for accuracy and get back to you guys!

Shot the 115's this weekend with quite promising results! I didn't shoot for groups yet, but I did a ladder test with FF'ed Lapua brass and Varget, to which I found pressure in my gun around 2890 ft/s, and a very promising node around 2825-2840 ft/s. I will load up some for accuracy and get back to you guys!
@MDT_Josh Curious to know what BC numbers you would get with those. I am at 2870 with 110 SMKs right now and while they shot well at the last match I did I need to get them out and true up the ballistics on them just a little. Curious if I could increase BC and speed a little with these 115s.

i shoot 110 SMKs, got some H ATips 110s incoming, excited to try them.

@MDT_Josh Curious to know what BC numbers you would get with those. I am at 2870 with 110 SMKs right now and while they shot well at the last match I did I need to get them out and true up the ballistics on them just a little. Curious if I could increase BC and speed a little with these 115s.

It's gonna take a little while for me to get out and stretch them out to confirm BC's, but I will hope to have that together by the end of the month :)

I did a ladder test with the 115 RDFs this morning. Varget and lapua brass in my 26" 1/7.5 twist barrel. I found a good node right around 2860 and saw pressure a little over 2900. I'm going to load some up and shoot in the next few days. I want these to shoot well when I was looking at the numbers.

Last edited:
- 33.0 grains reloader 15
- 105 hybrid
-26" rock creek button rifled barrel.
-cci br primers
-3000fps

After load development, this was my load exclusively. Barrel had ~2600 rounds on it before i pulled it off. Best barrel i've ever had. Going to miss it. :cry:

Wondering if anyone can help me on freebore and OAL measurements and seating depth on dasher. I’ve been through all 6 pages here and some others and I see a lot of “.010 jump” and such but not many base to ogive figures.

I’m new to dasher but not to reloading by any means. I’m measuring for seating depth using a hornady OAL tool and planned to run 105 jlk but not sure it’s going to work.

I have a Robert gradous 6 dasher barrel for my AI I picked up recently on here supposedly low round count.

Here is measured OAL for 3 bullets
105 JLK 1.892”
107 smk 1.855”
115 dtac 1.918”

Is this even close to normal?

Picture of 105 jlk attached, no way can I run even a .050 jump and have reasonable bearing surface in neck. Are there really freebore that long guys are using? Do I just load it where I want it and not care what jump is?

@Sheldon N

Working on a dasher barrel now. Went with a .104 FB and .272 neck. Picking up some hydroformed lapua brass.

Likely going with a set of whidden dies. Which neck bushing is used for this usually?

Thanks

Wondering if anyone can help me on freebore and OAL measurements and seating depth on dasher. I’ve been through all 6 pages here and some others and I see a lot of “.010 jump” and such but not many base to ogive figures.

I’m new to dasher but not to reloading by any means. I’m measuring for seating depth using a hornady OAL tool and planned to run 105 jlk but not sure it’s going to work.

I have a Robert gradous 6 dasher barrel for my AI I picked up recently on here supposedly low round count.

Here is measured OAL for 3 bullets
105 JLK 1.892”
107 smk 1.855”
115 dtac 1.918”

Is this even close to normal?

Picture of 105 jlk attached, no way can I run even a .050 jump and have reasonable bearing surface in neck. Are there really freebore that long guys are using? Do I just load it where I want it and not care what jump is? View attachment 7120034
My measurement for 107 smk on my barrel with 200rds down the tube is 1.78" BTO using the same tool. Looks like a it may be setup for another bullet or has a few more rounds down it.

@Sheldon N

Working on a dasher barrel now. Went with a .104 FB and .272 neck. Picking up some hydroformed lapua brass.

Likely going with a set of whidden dies. Which neck bushing is used for this usually?

Thanks

Go back one page on this thread, and look at @Patruck825 's results with bushing sizes.
I'm also jumping into the Dasher world. Waiting on a barreled action.