• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher

Wondering if anyone can help me on freebore and OAL measurements and seating depth on dasher. I’ve been through all 6 pages here and some others and I see a lot of “.010 jump” and such but not many base to ogive figures.

I’m new to dasher but not to reloading by any means. I’m measuring for seating depth using a hornady OAL tool and planned to run 105 jlk but not sure it’s going to work.

I have a Robert gradous 6 dasher barrel for my AI I picked up recently on here supposedly low round count.

Here is measured OAL for 3 bullets
105 JLK 1.892”
107 smk 1.855”
115 dtac 1.918”

Is this even close to normal?

Picture of 105 jlk attached, no way can I run even a .050 jump and have reasonable bearing surface in neck. Are there really freebore that long guys are using? Do I just load it where I want it and not care what jump is? View attachment 7120034

Yeah that seems a little off. I have a barrel from Gradous as well. It’s cut for 105 hybrids. My BTO is 1.838” at the lands so I load to 1.818” for a .020” jump. I do not use the Hornady tool though as I think there are better methods.

Yeah that seems a little off. I have a barrel from Gradous as well. It’s cut for 105 hybrids. My BTO is 1.838” at the lands so I load to 1.818” for a .020” jump. I do not use the Hornady tool though as I think there are better methods.

What method do you prefer? I measured multiple times with each bullet and it was very consistent but open to trying other ways to see if I’m not getting it right.

I have done the cleaning rod method as well in the past, but not on this project if that is what you are suggesting.

What method do you prefer? I measured multiple times with each bullet and it was very consistent but open to trying other ways to see if I’m not getting it right.

I have done the cleaning rod method as well in the past, but not on this project if that is what you are suggesting.
I take the ejector and firing pin out of my bolt. Take a dummy round seated long and put it in the bolt and run it forward. If it won’t close or there’s any resistance, eject and seat it another .005” in. Repeat until the bolt handle starts to drop on its own. When you get a free falling bolt you’re there. I usually drop to seating .001” when getting close. Most accurate method I’ve found. I’d be curious if there’s a difference in this measurement vs the Hornady tool.

May be the same. May have gotten yourself a shot out barrel. Any idea on the actual round count of it?

I am checking into it with member I bought it from. He’s a pretty active member here so don’t want to doubt his word too much just trying to figure out why so long.

I will try that method, the bolt close on my AI might be a little on the stiff side to be successful with that method but will give it a shot.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I am checking into it with member I bought it from. He’s a pretty active member here so don’t want to doubt his word too much just trying to figure out why so long.

I will try that method, the bolt close on my AI might be a little on the stiff side to be successful with that method but will give it a shot.
Was your chamber cut for the Norma dasher with long neck by any chance?

Yeah I’ve never messed with an AI so I can’t gurantee it. Try it without a round and see if it drops freely. If not then don’t even bother.

Well it’s not marked Norma dasher and sure wasn’t advertised as such.
It may not be marked as one. My last Lapua Dasher barrel was shot out at 2500 and I just measured 107's in it at 1.863". My barrels have been chambered with the 105 Hybrids as the main bullet. I did shoot quite a few 107's tho.

What’s everyone getting for BTO length with 105 hybrid on a .104 freebore?

Using the wheeler method, I’m getting about 1.772 or 1.773 is touching the lands (barely feel some resistance).

So was looking at a 1.75 BTO to start. First time with dasher, so I want to make sure this is in the ballpark.

I just measured a base to ogive in a .104 freebore virgin chamber with a 105 Hybrid and I got 1.780". Nice to see some very close numbers from others. That barrel shot amazing last night. All the loads shot under 1/2 MOA with a couple bug holes groups.

Wilson 26" barrel
32.4 grains varget
105 Hybrid seated .020 off the lands
CCI 450
Lapua hydroformed brass

Average velocity was 2,960 FPS.

The Wilson barrel blank was $170. This is the 3rd Wilson I have chambered in 6 Dasher and they all shot bug holes.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I just measured a base to ogive in a .104 freebore virgin chamber with a 105 Hybrid and I got 1.780". Nice to see some very close numbers from others. That barrel shot amazing last night. All the loads shot under 1/2 MOA with a couple bug holes groups.

Wilson 26" barrel
32.4 grains varget
105 Hybrid seated .020 off the lands
CCI 450
Lapua hydroformed brass

Average velocity was 2,960 FPS.

The Wilson barrel blank was $170. This is the 3rd Wilson I have chambered in 6 Dasher and they all shot bug holes.

What kind of barrel life have you been seeing with the Wilson?

What kind of barrel life have you been seeing with the Wilson?

I have 1,150 on one right now. Still shooting good. Only 600 on the second one. So I really don't know yet. Do you have suspicion that they won't last long?

I have 1,150 on one right now. Still shooting good. Only 600 on the second one. So I really don't know yet. Do you have suspicion that they won't last long?

No clue. Was incorrectly assuming you had burned through one when you said it was your third.

Thanks, I did yesterday and was shooting 105 hybrid with 30.0 grains of Varget jammed .030 and was averaging 2731fps. First shots down the barrel

Thanks, I did yesterday and was shooting 105 hybrid with 30.0 grains of Varget jammed .030 and was averaging 2731fps. First shots down the barrel
That sounds about right. Chrono again after 100 and 200 rounds. It may increase. My 2804 was after 200 rounds. Still the same after 250.

Considering the jump to 6 Dasher soon, and I wanted to ask a few questions. How much freebore would you all recommend for a 1:7 twist barrel set up to shoot the 110's, while leaving enough room for a back up plan of 105 Hybrids if the 110's don't shoot well? Does anyone have a reamer print/spec that would accomplish this, and recommend someone to make the reamer? This may be a stupid question, but could I use a tubb custom 6XC seating die on a dasher? Just trying to figure out what all I'd need to make the switch.

I'd be going the FF Lapua case route either way. I'm bad for wanting my cake and eating it to, so I realize there might be some necessary trade offs.

Thanks

Considering the jump to 6 Dasher soon, and I wanted to ask a few questions. How much freebore would you all recommend for a 1:7 twist barrel set up to shoot the 110's, while leaving enough room for a back up plan of 105 Hybrids if the 110's don't shoot well? Does anyone have a reamer print/spec that would accomplish this, and recommend someone to make the reamer? This may be a stupid question, but could I use a tubb custom 6XC seating die on a dasher? Just trying to figure out what all I'd need to make the switch.

I'd be going the FF Lapua case route either way. I'm bad for wanting my cake and eating it to, so I realize there might be some necessary trade offs.

Thanks

I shoot the dasher with a .150 freebore that works great for me with both 112s and 105s, even as it erodes. I’ll see if my smith has the print.

I would not use an XC die with a dasher

Reactions: OzzyO20
26" Mullerworks 1-7.75 twist
Omega suppressor
35.1 grains H4350
105 hybrid
CCI BR4
2955 FPS
ES 15, SD 5

Made a cold bore shot on a 6 inch plate at 970 yards with it yesterday. Elevation was consistent at 1260 yards but the wind was kicking my butt.

Anyone running the A-tips in Dasher yet? What kind of results are you seeing? Got in on the pre order of Alpha Brass from A-team Precision so hopefully be doing load development before the snow flies.

Reactions: Cornerstonearmory
First rounds of dasher development left me with one standout load so far.

32.6 varget
105 hybrid .015 jumped
SD: 7
ES: 19

Need to clean those numbers up, but I’ll take it for starting. 4 shots in about .2moa. 5th (likely me) opened it up to .38 moa

All well within numbers that won’t be the reason I miss a shot.

Garrett, give the Barnes 112 match burners a shot. Richard and I have had great luck. Easy to tune, cheap, not super touchy. Shoot better than 110 SMKs
Mid 32s to low 33s of Varget or similar will get you 2900+ without riding close to pressure

I'll look into them. I'm pretty stocked up on the 110 A-tips but I'm willing to try some other stuff. I know I can always revert back to hybrids.

Reactions: rsbhunter
112 Match Burners
32.2 Varget
2864 fps 27" Bartlein 1-7
.030 jump
ES 8

Reactions: Olen_4504
105 Hybrids
32.2 Varget
Cci 450
26” Krieger
.020 jump

Faster than I was looking for. Started with 32.6 but that put me close to 3020 FPS. Would’ve had to back down to 31.8 to get close to the popular 2960 node but repeated 32.2 testing gave great SDs and less than 1” of vertical at 500 yards so it’s what I landed on.
822DB127-43B0-47C6-A8C1-71056ED6683F.jpeg

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I've burnt through a couple dasher barrels in my last rifle, and ordered everything today to build a new one. I've been playing with my 223 for a while now and really like cfe223 because there is zero need to weigh each charge. Just powder dump it. Dead on every time.

So, my previous loads on my other barrels match everyone else's on here. 32.4-32.8 varget is money. But has anyone tried cfe223? If it would shoot I'd load all my match ammo on my dillon without a doubt. Seen the new 6.5 staball from Winchester is catching on to dasher guys too.

I've burnt through a couple dasher barrels in my last rifle, and ordered everything today to build a new one. I've been playing with my 223 for a while now and really like cfe223 because there is zero need to weigh each charge. Just powder dump it. Dead on every time.

So, my previous loads on my other barrels match everyone else's on here. 32.4-32.8 varget is money. But has anyone tried cfe223? If it would shoot I'd load all my match ammo on my dillon without a doubt. Seen the new 6.5 staball from Winchester is catching on to dasher guys too.
Never tried cfe223 but yes you’re right, the new StaBall is catching my attention. Been seeing shooters say the same thing. Loading with a powder dump and it’s money every time.

First time I loaded a batch up with cfe, first 10 were on the money, checked every 5th one for a while, was perfect,finally said I was wasting time checking. No reason not to use a progressive press with that stuff

Reactions: CV_Ag
105 Hybrids
32.2 Varget
Cci 450
26” Krieger
.020 jump

Faster than I was looking for. Started with 32.6 but that put me close to 3020 FPS. Would’ve had to back down to 31.8 to get close to the popular 2960 node but repeated 32.2 testing gave great SDs and less than 1” of vertical at 500 yards so it’s what I landed on. View attachment 7159676

what did you want for speed?

Its shooting about 2970 now with 700 rounds on it. But the temp has also dropped about 50 degrees. Same load so could be barrel, could be temp?

I did on the first Dasher I started to load for, cfe 223, 105 hybrid, cci 450. The fireform load was great accuracy wise, then 33.5gr shot excellent once fireformed, 2940fps. We ran with that load till Oct, temps dropped up to 50 degrees, and we lost a bunch of speed. The plan was to hunt antelope and deer to 400 yards, being it was not guaranteed I would be present, I had to redo the load with H4895 in a hurry. H4895 not the most stable, but way better than cfe and we shoot it all yr long now w/o incident.
The rifle was built for a 12 yr old, I was not convinced they could overcome any dope discrepancies if it would be used w/o me being there, reason for the switch. The Dad really has no interest in rifles, and the kid retains 33% of what I teach him, lol

I did on the first Dasher I started to load for, cfe 223, 105 hybrid, cci 450. The fireform load was great accuracy wise, then 33.5gr shot excellent once fireformed, 2940fps. We ran with that load till Oct, temps dropped up to 50 degrees, and we lost a bunch of speed. The plan was to hunt antelope and deer to 400 yards, being it was not guaranteed I would be present, I had to redo the load with H4895 in a hurry. H4895 not the most stable, but way better than cfe and we shoot it all yr long now w/o incident.
The rifle was built for a 12 yr old, I was not convinced they could overcome any dope discrepancies if it would be used w/o me being there, reason for the switch. The Dad really has no interest in rifles, and the kid retains 33% of what I teach him, lol

Awesome info!! Thank you

Awesome info!! Thank you
I also tried cfe on the 2nd dasher with a 110 sierra, FF went well, I could not get it to my expectations once formed though. I thought the slower powder perfect match for the heavier bullet, was not in this case. Ended up shooting RL 16, even slower powder that is a hammer of a load. 205M primer.

Just tried AR Comp with the Dasher, and it appears to have a lot of potential. It definitely is beating Varget in terms of ES/SD.

105 hybrids, cci 450's, fully fire formed Lapua brass. 400 rounds on a bartlein 5r 7t.

29.5: No chrono data
30.0: 2940 ES 10 SD 3 (10 shots)
30.5: 2976 ES 5 SD 1 (5 shots)

Bolt lift was normal at 29.5 and 30, with a touch of heavier bolt lift at 30.5. Accuracy was great, 1/2 moa or better at 700-1000.

Just tried AR Comp with the Dasher, and it appears to have a lot of potential. It definitely is beating Varget in terms of ES/SD.

105 hybrids, cci 450's, fully fire formed Lapua brass. 400 rounds on a bartlein 5r 7t.

29.5: No chrono data
30.0: 2940 ES 10 SD 3 (10 shots)
30.5: 2976 ES 5 SD 1 (5 shots)

Bolt lift was normal at 29.5 and 30, with a touch of heavier bolt lift at 30.5. Accuracy was great, 1/2 moa or better at 700-1000.
I have been kicking around trying AR Comp too, look at the bottom right number of this pic, unheard of, which makes me think AR comp even better in 6BRA
Capture3.PNG

I have been kicking around trying AR Comp too, look at the bottom right number of this pic, unheard of, which makes me think AR comp even better in 6BRA
View attachment 7176374,

And with a case capacity of 41.2, a 28” tube, and 29.7 gr, which is the 1.279 node @ 2920, the barre life calculator says 3600+ rounds.

Reactions: 702lineman
Seems pretty wild if this is even close to accurate barrel life wise.

AR Comp @ 2920 FPS
1572823304715.png

Varget @ 2950 FPS
1572823407243.png

Reactions: 702lineman