• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher

Ahh I see

my FB is 125 so maybe a bit long for those. I did not realize you were tailoring your chamber for a certain bullet. Never mind

I have run the A-Tips with a .104" FB which was too short. Most are running a .135" FB chamber now and that is a better option in my opinion. Planning to try a throating reamer later this year to experiment with a .150-.200" FB on the little Dasher, just to see what happens!

- Josh

I have run the A-Tips with a .104" FB which was too short. Most are running a .135" FB chamber now and that is a better option in my opinion. Planning to try a throating reamer later this year to experiment with a .150-.200" FB on the little Dasher, just to see what happens!

- Josh
Thanks I will be going with .135 FB and .274 NK but like you I’m also thinking.150 ish could also be a winner

What FB are folks running w/110Atips
I’d definitely look into going more than .135. It’ll work but you’ll be a lot better off with something closer to the .200. I know Stuteville cuts the Okie guys barrels around that. I had a barrel with .104 and for my 105s but when those got scarce I ordered a-tips. Had my barrel throated out to those specs and I’m happy with it.

I’d definitely look into going more than .135. It’ll work but you’ll be a lot better off with something closer to the .200. I know Stuteville cuts the Okie guys barrels around that. I had a barrel with .104 and for my 105s but when those got scarce I ordered a-tips. Had my barrel throated out to those specs and I’m happy with it.
Yep Wade confirmed on the .135 FB, he’s just a class act!

Reactions: CV_Ag
Anybody have a feel on throat erosion with IMR-4166? That stuff seems to be relatively easy to come by, substantially easier than Varget or H4350 anyway, so I'm tempted give it a try.

Anybody have a feel on throat erosion with IMR-4166? That stuff seems to be relatively easy to come by, substantially easier than Varget or H4350 anyway, so I'm tempted give it a try.

Ask @bohem. He uses it often

I have been using 4166 with 109’s in the dasher. I am very happy with the results so far and quit looking for Varget.
Have you monitored throat erosion? I'm mostly interested in a 'low maintenance' load, one that isn't making me tune seating depths or grind out carbon rings every couple hundred rounds. I'm not looking for a ton of speed, I'll be quite happy in the low to mid 2800's for 109's/110's. From this thread H4350 sounds perfect but it's so hard to find in quantity. I'm hoping IMR4166/4451 yield a similar experience since they're so much easier to find.

Have you monitored throat erosion? I'm mostly interested in a 'low maintenance' load, one that isn't making me tune seating depths or grind out carbon rings every couple hundred rounds. I'm not looking for a ton of speed, I'll be quite happy in the low to mid 2800's for 109's/110's. From this thread H4350 sounds perfect but it's so hard to find in quantity. I'm hoping IMR4166/4451 yield a similar experience since they're so much easier to find.
No, i really don’t care about it. It shoots in the .2s at 100 and i put 3 on our 10” plate at 1000 within 3-4 inches

You may want to try N140. Had good luck with that as well. I just dont want to run Dasher at 6 br speeds right now.

No, i really don’t care about it. It shoots in the .2s at 100 and i put 3 on our 10” plate at 1000 within 3-4 inches
How often do you have to fiddle with your load to keep it shooting that well? Are you having to scrape out the fabled carbon rings I read so much about in dasher threads?
I switched from Varget to H4350 two years ago. 34.3gr gets me 2920fps with a 105. It's been way more stable and consistent than Varget
H4350 is a magic powder, but it's tough to come by. I have 7 lbs left of a keg that I'm probably going to try first but I'm also interested in a backup plan for when this keg is gone. I'm also going to try staball for kicks because it is so darn easy to load up and works so great in my 6.5 barrel, but I'm not betting on it since it's so dirty and running under "normal" pressure will likely make that worse.

How often do you have to fiddle with your load to keep it shooting that well? Are you having to scrape out the fabled carbon rings I read so much about in dasher threads?

H4350 is a magic powder, but it's tough to come by. I have 7 lbs left of a keg that I'm probably going to try first but I'm also interested in a backup plan for when this keg is gone. I'm also going to try staball for kicks because it is so darn easy to load up and works so great in my 6.5 barrel, but I'm not betting on it since it's so dirty and running under "normal" pressure will likely make that worse.
Bruce. I just set the depth and leave it, i also run patches thru it every 100 rounds and never worry about carbon build up. Don’t overthink things, your going to drive yourself crazy

Bruce. I just set the depth and leave it, i also run patches thru it every 100 rounds and never worry about carbon build up. Don’t overthink things, your going to drive yourself crazy

I do the same. Regardless of the powder I use I always clean carbon from the chamber to the throat and 1-2 patch in the bore. That way carbon is never an issue.

Touche. There is certainly some over thinking going on here. I have about 3 weeks before I torque on the dasher barrel which leaves a void for that.

I swear. This gun/caliber/load never ceases to amaze me. I havent shot this rifle or any groups with any rifle since April. Cold bore, cold shooter, 1 year old ammo. Shot these 3 rounds then went 2 for 2 on a 6" square plate at 511, then put the damm rifle away. I wasn't even sure if the scope was zeroed for this barrel when I shot it. I believe the zero is good.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-08-27 16:18:37.570180.png

I finally torqued on my dasher barrel so it seemed only fair to post some results. These are ~100 rounds in so chances are there will be a bit more evolution on the barrel before it becomes 'stable', though I've already seen a ~20 fps speedup with HDY 105's. I'm also running virgin alpha brass so that's going to change things a touch as well after I get onto the second firing.

• 112 Matchburners over H4350 are looking like the standout so far for my goals, 34.3-34.5gr yielding right about 2800 fps with a pretty good SD of 8 (for a very small sample of 6 but good enough to revisit). These loads are just slightly compressed, it's about perfect.
  • Staball looked great with 112's at 2600ish fps but seems to have fallen apart after reaching the 2800's, both in terms of ES/SD and groups. I have enough other promising powders that I'm probably going to stop with the staball testing.
  • IMR-4166 gives great speeds and has been pretty accurate with all kinds of 105-109's (Berg hyb 105 and 109, 105 HDY BTHP, sierra 107) but I'm having trouble getting good ES/SD. It also gives great speeds with 112 MB's but accuracy above the mid 2700's was meh and also had poor ES/SD.
I see a few mid range loads in this thread with IMR-4166 (mid range being 31.something) and that's about the speeds I want to be for now. Do folks running 4166 in that range do anything special to get your ES/SD down? I've been running a .242 mandrel through the necks with a touch of oil before seating to loosen the necks up, but maybe they're too loose at that point.

First 6BR variant

6 Dasher
28” Brux 1:7.5”
Alpha OCD brass
Br-4 primer
105 vld target
SWP 32.9
2868 SD 8.8 (20 shot set)

Attachments

• AA388133-FE5F-4ACE-9CE0-52918578A3FC.jpeg
    AA388133-FE5F-4ACE-9CE0-52918578A3FC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • AFA31590-ABB2-4762-8C76-7E4F71CFC781.png
    AFA31590-ABB2-4762-8C76-7E4F71CFC781.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
Reactions: 260284
My Alpha non-OCD brass still looks good 6x fired running 107Smk at 2890-2900 fps. Anyone retired their Alpha brass yet? How many firings and what speed did you run it?

I finally torqued on my dasher barrel so it seemed only fair to post some results. These are ~100 rounds in so chances are there will be a bit more evolution on the barrel before it becomes 'stable', though I've already seen a ~20 fps speedup with HDY 105's. I'm also running virgin alpha brass so that's going to change things a touch as well after I get onto the second firing.

• 112 Matchburners over H4350 are looking like the standout so far for my goals, 34.3-34.5gr yielding right about 2800 fps with a pretty good SD of 8 (for a very small sample of 6 but good enough to revisit). These loads are just slightly compressed, it's about perfect.
  • Staball looked great with 112's at 2600ish fps but seems to have fallen apart after reaching the 2800's, both in terms of ES/SD and groups. I have enough other promising powders that I'm probably going to stop with the staball testing.
  • IMR-4166 gives great speeds and has been pretty accurate with all kinds of 105-109's (Berg hyb 105 and 109, 105 HDY BTHP, sierra 107) but I'm having trouble getting good ES/SD. It also gives great speeds with 112 MB's but accuracy above the mid 2700's was meh and also had poor ES/SD.
I see a few mid range loads in this thread with IMR-4166 (mid range being 31.something) and that's about the speeds I want to be for now. Do folks running 4166 in that range do anything special to get your ES/SD down? I've been running a .242 mandrel through the necks with a touch of oil before seating to loosen the necks up, but maybe they're too loose at that point.
This is great news, I just switched to the 112 match burners and I have a shit ton of 4350!!

Has anyone tried the hornady 108 eldm? If what did you think

I cant find cci 450's that seem to be everyones favorite for dasher but have some br4s. Are they equal or are the 450s better in the dasher?

BR4s will work just fine.

I couldn't shoot a difference between a 108 ELD and a 107 SMK with the same exact load (32.4gr Varget, Lapua FF brass, -450) to the same 1.787" BTO on my Hornady comparator. That is to say, they shot very well.

BR4s will work just fine.

I couldn't shoot a difference between a 108 ELD and a 107 SMK with the same exact load (32.4gr Varget, Lapua FF brass, -450) to the same 1.787" BTO on my Hornady comparator. That is to say, they shot very well.
Thats awesome! Im about to screw on a new barrel and haven't been able to find any bergers. Elds are avail at midway so Im going to give them a try

Has anyone tried the hornady 108 eldm? If what did you think
Another fuzzier data point: I use a proof comp prefit in 6 dasher and have shot an initial ladder with the 108 ELDM's and IMR 4166 and the data lines up with most other 105's in terms what consistent burn (reminder, this is preliminary) and there are a couple promising groups in there. They did have to be seated a bit deeper into case than say berger 105's or 107 SMK's, but tbh I'm not an expert on whether that is material or not and the groups seemed not to care. Now that my brass has all been once fired I'm going to revisit these and if the initial results hold I'm sure I'll buy more.

Another fuzzier data point: I use a proof comp prefit in 6 dasher and have shot an initial ladder with the 108 ELDM's and IMR 4166 and the data lines up with most other 105's in terms what consistent burn (reminder, this is preliminary) and there are a couple promising groups in there. They did have to be seated a bit deeper into case than say berger 105's or 107 SMK's, but tbh I'm not an expert on whether that is material or not and the groups seemed not to care. Now that my brass has all been once fired I'm going to revisit these and if the initial results hold I'm sure I'll buy more.
Thanks for the info. This will be my first dasher. I will be loading with varget , 108 eldm and atlas brass

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
I use 108ELDM a fair bit @Hedgepeth0 in my 6mm rifles.
The 108s can be found here(Down Under) for AUD$50/100 where as 105Hybrids run about AUD$74/100

As @SuperBruce said, the 108s will hit the lands earlier than 107SMK or 105s so be wary about COAL.
On a side note the 108ELDM measure a little bigger to me in diameter. You can feel the higher neck tension on seating and this plus they're cheaper is why I use them as my 6BRX and 6Dasher fireforming(jammed) load.

The 108ELDM shoot well but (just IMO) they do not compare with the 110&107SMk and 105Hybrid as a match pill.
They tend to run a bit slower across every barrel I've tried them in and they do drift a little more in the wind.

You don't know what bushing sizes people are using with the JGS Brian Allen / A-Team / TS Customs reamer and Alpha brass do you?

ETA: It appears to be a .274 neck with .105 Freebore reamer

The way I see it, the bushing size has less to do with the way the chamber is cut and more to do with the neck thickness of the brass and diameter of the bullet. I've been using a .267 bushing on Alpha brass with a berger 105 hybrid. I know some guys are using a .266. I'm using a proof shouldered prefit, so I'm not sure if that's useful info for you or not.

Ahh I see

my FB is 125 so maybe a bit long for those. I did not realize you were tailoring your chamber for a certain bullet. Never mind
Which, unless you design and buy your own reamer, leaves you taking what whoever cuts your chamber and extra $$$ cut a custom throat to meet your "wants"

not running mine real hot, 32gr H4350, Berger 105's. 2707fps. SD's and ED's nothing super 34/11. 10 shot group which is what i shoot. 75 seconds total string first to last shot. Was kinda on the cold side when i shot these, around 38degrees with north wind off to my right about 10MPH. left shot was the cold bore, then the next 9 stayed together. Had my barrel chambered for Norma brass by LRI. I have some Alpha brass OCD, i'm thinking of loading up and shooting out of this setup to see how it does. Second picture was from the evening before, factory new brass 10 rnds, then I took the brass, wet tumbled it, FL sized, bumped the shoulder .002 , necked it back to .242 and shot it again. Wanted to see how they 2 groups compared with once fired brass

Attachments

• !cid_B968CCA0-66C4-4B00-A826-5B96C623BD0C.jpg
    !cid_B968CCA0-66C4-4B00-A826-5B96C623BD0C.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 99
  • !cid_1BBC7477-DCB1-4296-A37A-6B4DC4C22489.jpg
    !cid_1BBC7477-DCB1-4296-A37A-6B4DC4C22489.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 118
not running mine real hot, 32gr H4350, Berger 105's. 2707fps. SD's and ED's nothing super 34/11. 10 shot group which is what i shoot. 75 seconds total string first to last shot. Was kinda on the cold side when i shot these, around 38degrees with north wind off to my right about 10MPH. left shot was the cold bore, then the next 9 stayed together. Had my barrel chambered for Norma brass by LRI. I have some Alpha brass OCD, i'm thinking of loading up and shooting out of this setup to see how it does. Second picture was from the evening before, factory new brass 10 rnds, then I took the brass, wet tumbled it, FL sized, bumped the shoulder .002 , necked it back to .242 and shot it again. Wanted to see how they 2 groups compared with once fired brass
Alpha brass in a Norma chamber?

You should be way gtg all the way up to 34gr. I started at 35gr and as my powder eventually dried here in Colorado I kept having to back it down. There's no pressure with 4350. You'll run out of case capacity first
What FB, brass, bullet, CBOG?