• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 7mag or 7wsm or other .284cal pro's/con's

Re: 7mag or 7wsm or other .284cal pro's/con's

I dont really think you can go wrong with either. Short action with the WSM or long with the RemMag. Personally I think the belted cases are easier to reload as long as your not putting crazy stress on them. The ballistics out of both are really good and very similar especially out of a 26in barrel. With the proper handloads both cartriges can produce identical ballistics. I reload for my friends custom built 7mmSTW(Shooting Times Westerner) It pushes the .284 bullet a good bit faster than either. Its kind of one of those rounds that never really hit the main stream shooting world. I dont own a WSM personally but I know that they arent as well suited for the largest bullets in the .284 family. For some people that might be an issue, just up to what you want to do with it and what type of animals you intend on shooting at what ranges.

7 SAUM would be my choice. Well actually it is, I am putting one together right now. Better barrel life then the WSM and you can still hit almost the same velocities using less powder.

I was talking to Dave Kiff the other day about the 7 WSM & 7 RSAUM. Said they have had better consistency with the 7 RSAUM. So my next one will be a RSAUM

Kc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think, 7mag or 7wsm or other .284 cal. Rem 700, target weight 26" to 28" barrel. </div></div>

what is your intended use for the rifle?

i usually default to the straight .284 winchester for the 7mm chambering. you get good velocity with heavy bullets, good barrel life and excellent accuracy.

I have had both a 7wsm and a 7saum. If I was building a long range rifle in 7mm I would go straight .284 win and be done.