• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm-08 AI info please...

LOBO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2003
Mississippi
I'm starting to gather parts for a new build in 7mm-08. I've been wondering though about maybe going with the 7mm-08 AI instead.

Is there enough gain in the AI over the standard 7mm-08 to make a significant difference?

What's the case capacity difference between the two?

Actual velocities realized w/ the AI using 120 gr (TSX) & 162 gr (A-Max) bullets?

Best powder(s) to use in the AI w/ 120 gr (TSX) & 162 gr bullets(A-Max)?

I know next to nothing about the 7mm-08 AI, so any & all info on it will be appreciated.

Re: 7mm-08 AI info please...

I;m having one built right now smith says he shoots 120's at 3400fps ad 140's at 3100fps.

I considered it once, but decided that it was too much of a pain to fireform the brass before I could really get going with load development.

It's more fun to just shoot!

In those beauteous fields off yonder, 7mm08 AI brass will be available directly from Winchester. Then I would prefer the AI.

Enjoy,
Bob

I've always read in books when reloading for accuracy you want to fire form all your cases anyways. Then you load develop off of those. So, based on that it really doesn't matter whether its a AI fire form or a standard fireforming.

"Precision Shooting: Reloading Guide" Book Edited by Dave Brennan

This author rec. fire forming all brass before load development.

Don't you just shoot 7mm-08 loads in a 7mm-08 AI chamber to fireform the brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you just shoot 7mm-08 loads in a 7mm-08 AI chamber to fireform the brass? </div></div>

That's correct. I don't think that it makes sense to work on load development while the you're fireforming from standard to AI, since the initial conditions are not close to the same.

If you rotate through 500 pieces of brass, you're spending approximately 500*$.45=$225 for an extra step in developing a load for your rifle. Of course, it's fun to fireform the cases. It's just that you have to take an extra step before getting to your final product.

You'll most likely be happy with your choice either way.

Enjoy,
Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluegrasspicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you just shoot 7mm-08 loads in a 7mm-08 AI chamber to fireform the brass? </div></div>

That's correct. I don't think that it makes sense to work on load development while the you're fireforming from standard to AI, since the initial conditions are not close to the same.

If you rotate through 500 pieces of brass, you're spending approximately 500*$.45=$225 for an extra step in developing a load for your rifle. Of course, it's fun to fireform the cases. It's just that you have to take an extra step before getting to your final product.

You'll most likely be happy with your choice either way.

Enjoy,
Bob

</div></div>

Thanks for the info Bob!

LOBO,

Fireforming AI brass is very accurate still. I wouldn't load develop with it, but you can sure still varmint hunt or plink with it. As per my previous post, it depends on what kind of accuracy you are looking to get out of it. People who want to split hairs, will fireform even with standard chambers to make all the brass uniform with the chamber. With this thoery, There is no difference between fireforming to an AI chamber, or fireforming for chamber uniformity. Plus, a 7mm-08 has very good barrel life, and as long as you are not loading max loads, 500 fireforming rounds should last you your entire barrel life.