• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm mag vs 7mm wsm ??

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
what is the difference in those two .....besides powder capacity and the different length actions? Is the WSM supposed to be slightly more accurate or what.....seems like kinda splitting hairs. velocities are almost the same...more ammo choices with the full size cartridge. How about throat life? What am I missing?

thanks, J

Re: 7mm mag vs 7mm wsm ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballistic twins. Take your pick. </div></div>

Werd.

J, if you want to check one out, let me know. I have a APA built 7WSM... currently waiting on a new scope though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None that I know of. I have both. </div></div>

not having a belted case and using less powder to get the same velocity is not an advantage?

Feel free to tell me about the disadvanges of a belted case, then while your at it go into depth on charges Vs velocity. Keep in mind Im looking for actual personal experience and not just old myths that get hashed and rehashed around gunshops and the 'net.

That's plausible. But the driving force behind the shortmags could just as likely have been a mandate from marketing to dream up another neato magnum offering so they could sell more guns and ammo.

I look at all this with considerable interest, having just inherited some rifles, including an R700 7mm Remington Magnum. Since the barrel is a sporting taper; it's unlikely there will be any really serious match load development. But as a sporter in relatively nice condition and a somewhat more common (if aging) chambering, it's worth working up a hunting load for it, I'm guessing.

Greg

I might say pre Obama brass availbility for the 7Mag was somewhat easier. Now you're hard pressed to find most everything. Worst case you could neck up/down some of the other belted mags (264WM,300WM,8mmMag,etc.)I have a 7Mag and love it, but action length is not an issue for me, nor should it be when you're building a 12# plus rifle anyways. IMHO.
Justin

Advantages of the WSM can be a lower Extreme Spread due to it's shorter powder column. This eliminates vertical string at long distance.
One of the reasons the 6.5x284 is so successful over the the longer
6.5x06 in long distance competition.

For that reason alone I would choose the WSM case over longer belted case.

Also, the 7 Rem mag is notorious for being spikey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long action 7 rem mag, short action 7wsm.. Easy as 1-2-3. </div></div>

Bingo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Advantages of the WSM can be a lower Extreme Spread due to it's shorter powder column. This eliminates vertical string at long distance.</div></div>

In theory yes, but in actual application, I never found this to be the case. Both my 7mmRMs and 7WSM run sub 15FPS ES. I attribute this to carefull loading practices, not case design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, the 7 Rem mag is notorious for being spikey.
</div></div>

LOL! I wonder how many rifles and bbls chambered in 7mmRM I have to go through before I find a "spikey" one???

We all have our favorites that work well but statistics prove me right that short cartridges dominate in competition. No theory involved.
Ask any F class shooter why he shoots a 6.5x284 in a long action instead of a 6.5-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL! I wonder how many rifles and bbls chambered in 7mmRM I have to go through before I find a "spikey" one???</div></div>

That's just a well known fact.

At 2.170" oal, is the .284 win really a short-action ctg? Hell, I use a LA for .308; so I can load 180-200gr bullets and the .308 oal is .155 shorter than the .284win.

Anyway, reason the 6.5-284 boys go long action is Bullet Length. Gonna shoot 143smk and up in your 6.5-284 you gotta go long action.

Can't really understand why nobody necks UP the .284 to .338 or .30 for longrange. Who needs a barrel burner these days? Who needs a 6.5mm anyway when 6mm does the same job with lighter bullet weight, less powder and markedly less recoil and longer barrel life?

The belted magnums shoot fine if you setup your chamber so headspace is on the shoulder. I would like a .472 head diameter ctg with .500 body in oal equal to full-length H&H ctgs. A .308-284 would be a marked step up from the .308, especially if AI chambered. There is your .300wsm, but in normal bolt-face. Be one helluva an AR-10 chambering. Even the .308AI is a nice enhancement. Who needs a 7mm for anything?

Anyone wants to buy a couple hundred 7mm brass and 162/175 bullets, and an unfired 7mm BDL takeoff barrel, I will make you a deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL! I wonder how many rifles and bbls chambered in 7mmRM I have to go through before I find a "spikey" one???</div></div>

That's just a well known fact. </div></div>

Thats about a well know fact as these "facts"-

Belted mags dont shoot well

Belted mags are hard to load for

Belted Mags are hard on brass.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 2.170" oal, is the .284 win really a short-action ctg? </div></div>

It is in my short actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway, reason the 6.5-284 boys go long action is Bullet Length. Gonna shoot 143smk and up in your 6.5-284 you gotta go long action.</div></div>

Not in my short actions. I load 140 VLD'S at 3,000 mv no problem.

You still doesn't answer why they are using the 284 case over the 06
case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who needs a 6.5mm anyway when 6mm does the same job with lighter bullet weight, less powder and markedly less recoil and longer barrel life?</div></div>

I hunt mine on large game. 6mm's don't cut it for me in that application. Good paper punchers tho.

Run the numbers and you will be surprised at how much energy a 115gr 6mm carries downrange when it's launched at 3000+ FPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so there isn't any advantage to the short magnums?? </div></div>

the short action is a huge advantage in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run the numbers and you will be surprised at how much energy a 115gr 6mm carries downrange when it's launched at 3000+ FPS. </div></div>

How did this get into a rem mag vs wsm convo? Random shit sometimes.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run the numbers and you will be surprised at how much energy a 115gr 6mm carries downrange when it's launched at 3000+ FPS. </div></div>

How did this get into a rem mag vs wsm convo? Random shit sometimes.....

</div></div>

Sorry about the OT post. I should have quoted this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt mine on large game. 6mm's don't cut it for me in that application. Good paper punchers tho.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry about the OT post. I should have quoted this

</div></div>

Just wanted to say that.

Im in the process of building a 7mm wsm with a long action. I wanted to be able to load my rounds and not have to worry about them being to long to fit in my box mag. I dont think there is enough difference between the 2 to be an issue. They will both shoot well and 7mm bullets have an awesome BC.