• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAW

This is a great thread! How Temperature sensitive is RL16. I’m thinking about it for a couple of calibers.
I have found Rl16 to be temp stable from 22 degrees to 104 degrees in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I did get the carbon ring, so I started cleaning more often and paying attention to the throat. A little CLR takes care of it the fastest.

How many rounds roughly before you start to see the carbon ring building up? This will be the first time ive used RL16.
I think it depends on a lot. I would clean every 200-300 rounds. More often if using a suppressor.

On another note I ordered 300 pieces of Alpha brass and a set of Redding dies today. Pretty excited for my build to get done!

Reactions: peteyen86
i just went 5-600 but with H4350. only cleaned it for a 2 day match. didnt wanna get into the 800s mid match

I ordered the Redding. $100 more. Hopefully it’s worth it. Good to hear the Hornady dies are good though.
I prefer the hornady dies to the redding dies I have. Do the reddings you ordered have a micrometer seater?

These are the hornady dies. My redding dies didn't have the micrometer seater but I found the sizing was inconsistent, particularly with the necks. I may just have a shit set though.

Hornady 7mm SAW MG Dies .jpg

I'm using a COAX press , that's why I posed the question about 7/08 seating dies as the Hornady seater will not work with the yoke on my COAX , Redding makes a micrometer seater and I have them for a couple other cartridges but I find the Forester is much more repeatable and user friendly!. What are the opinions on the Whidden Dies in a COAX press?

I'm using a COAX press , that's why I posed the question about 7/08 seating dies as the Hornady seater will not work with the yoke on my COAX , Redding makes a micrometer seater and I have them for a couple other cartridges but I find the Forester is much more repeatable and user friendly!. What are the opinions on the Whidden Dies in a COAX press?
Whidden in coax here. Just switched to coax recently dont actually know that I've seated any 7SAW yet

Hey mate,
What won't work exactly. Mine works? 7mmSaw Hornady Seater. I'm guessing older Coax presses have a smaller yoke or something do they?
20190827_183538.jpg

Reactions: Simia Dei
I think it depends on a lot. I would clean every 200-300 rounds. More often if using a suppressor.

On another note I ordered 300 pieces of Alpha brass and a set of Redding dies today. Pretty excited for my build to get done!

Would have loved to use Alpha brass. The cost to get here in Australia was just way to much to justify compared to Lapua. Even through the Alpha Dealer here.

Clayton ( WTO) has my FN PBR reciever and A3G stock and hopefully soon my Bart Marksmen contour barrel , definately going with the Alpha brass but still cannot decide on dies for my COAX. If the Forester 7/08 micrometer seater will work that would be ideal!, I'll ask Clayton when all the parts are aquired and work needed is explained to me , I would like the SAW II variant !
Bartlein said August delivery and I've been so busy at work I've yet to inquire.

Got my dies and brass today!! Can’t wait to get this build done!! West Texas Ordnance is awesome!

Attachments

• 4AF648D6-F31A-4EEC-A72E-0E510AF147DC.jpeg
    4AF648D6-F31A-4EEC-A72E-0E510AF147DC.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 47EA978A-DC1B-4E9E-A1CE-B182D4998D1E.jpeg
    47EA978A-DC1B-4E9E-A1CE-B182D4998D1E.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 136
mustang, the brass looks nice, can you post some pics of the Redding Dies please!. I spoke to Clayton yesterday to let him know my Bartlein should ship next week and got a nice estimate for his brake and barrel install along with some reciever mods for the SAWII chambering. Clayton said all dies offered are very consistent with no noticeable run-out, only slight variences between them for case sizing dimensions. I'm leaning towards the Reddings since the VLD stem is included . When the rifle is completed I plan on the Berger 175 Hunter Elites as my first choice.

Reactions: mustang-cars
Here you go. The Redding comes with the standard seating stem and the VLD micrometer stem. No floating sleeve though. The sizing due comes with the standard expander ball and a free floating carbide ball. Extra pic of the brass just because:)

Attachments

• EC6B5B2B-8057-4394-BC46-7C5EB2EEDC35.jpeg
    EC6B5B2B-8057-4394-BC46-7C5EB2EEDC35.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 4367CC18-77B2-4ED5-8DDF-7D196527CB79.jpeg
    4367CC18-77B2-4ED5-8DDF-7D196527CB79.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I know the Whiddens are expensive, but would anyone that has them share their opinions and some pics?
Thanks !

I have been sitting on a complete rifle in 7 saw for months with no time to even fire it
737 r
ACC
2 28" hv varmint barrels
1000 180hybrids
500 sorted alpha brass
Dies

Where would I go to sell it for say 90% cost?

Has anyone tried 150gr projectiles out of a short (16-20" barrel) using the 7mm SAW?

WTO shipped my rifle via ups on Saturday 10/26 so I should see it Tuesday or Wednesday !, I went with the SAW II chamber and Whidden Dies/Alpha Brass . Now I need to decide on a powder for the BERGER 175s. I reviewed the previous posts and RL 26 was mentioned along with RL 16, any data from those that have loaded both will be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

WTO shipped my rifle via ups on Saturday 10/26 so I should see it Tuesday or Wednesday !, I went with the SAW II chamber and Whidden Dies/Alpha Brass . Now I need to decide on a powder for the BERGER 175s. I reviewed the previous posts and RL 26 was mentioned along with RL 16, any data from those that have loaded both will be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!
Let us know how load development ends up. Clayton told me with the 175 and up that RL16 will give you the better velocity. I don’t have my build yet but I’ll be doing 168’s with H4350. He said the 168’s are right on the line and either H4350 or RL16. I have a lot of H4350 so I’ll start with that.

I'm heading to Sportsmens warehouse tomorrow to get some RL 16 and possibly RL 26. I plan on using the Satterlee method at first and fine tuning once I find some nodes.

I'm heading to Sportsmens warehouse tomorrow to get some RL 16 and possibly RL 26. I plan on using the Satterlee method at first and fine tuning once I find some nodes.
I use the Satterlee method on all of my loads and it works awesome! Good luck on the RL26. It’s tough to find these days!

I'm going to find some of this when it's available here and test it with the 160s.

RL 26 is nowhere to be found, however I did find some RL 16 locally and ordered and recieved some StaBall 6.5. I had hoped to shoot tommorrow but I need to clean-up my bedding job on the A-3G after it cures, maybe Sunday?

Any have data for 4350 and the 162s yet? Saw some talk of it but didnt see posted info
This is the starting load data I received from WTO:

Varget/AR2208: 40.5gr

H4350/AR2209: 43.5gr

Reloder 16: 43.5gr

If you have the short throat then you'll be crunching powder at those charge weights, I started my load dev at 39gr of RL16 when I had a short throat.

Any updated load data from anyone running the long throat? Mine rifle should ship this week.

Anyone using the saw this year for hunting? What bullet are you using? Think I’m about to contact Clayton and get a build started. Would be running a 20-22” barrel primarily for hunting white tail and mule deer. Would something in the 140-150 range be best or should I go with the heavier bullets ?

I just finished reading through all four pages of this thread. Was interested because I've been working with a 7-08 Improved 30* for the past year, and have yet to see velocities anywhere near what you guys are talking about, out of a 26" Krieger 1-9tw in sendero contour. Built mine on a stripped M700 receiver with a PTG one-piece bolt, .062" firing pin hole, mini-16 extractor. My reamer has .123" FB, and I've been shooting a lot of S168MKs, simply because I had quite a few of them. But I've seated the 168s to AICS mag length; would have to single load to find how much faster I could go by using the full case capacity. Best velocities have been with H100V at 2660fps & RL16 at 2673. Those were both FF loads in WW7-08 brass. So far, the only loads I've tried in necked-down Peterson 308 Palma SRP brass have been wtih RL23, and 44grs is compressed to the point of being crunchy, even when using a very good drop tube. Got 2512-2521fps with the S168 out of RL23. Downside to the Peterson is the need to neck turn, and it's heavier than the WW stuff, so case capacity is bound to be less than WW. Photo shows Peterson brass fireformed & loaded to FF with S168MK, neck turned and with false shoulder. I made a FL bushing die on a Newlon die blank, and used my finishing reamer to ream the sleeve out of a Forster 7-08 Ultra Mic seater.

Attachments

• DSC_1215.JPG
    DSC_1215.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 168
26 inch bbl with 175 Berger’s is getting me 2700fps plus with h 4350 And rl 16 , new barrel 35 shots so far. Alpha brass!
What’s your charge weight with the H4350 and RL16. Are you getting more velocity with the RL16?

Sorry for my late response, I finally got home from the Holiday.
Satterlee test:
H 4350
I started low , loads as follows
44.6g/2643fps
44.8g/2656fps
45.0g/2646fps
45.2g/2669fps
45.4g/2677fps
45.6g/2700fps
45.8g/2697fps
46.0g/2709fps
46.2g/2741fps
46.4g/2744fps
All loads above had easy bolt lift and primers were good with some flattening starting at 46.2g, I plan on going to 46.8g for next test!

RL 16
43.9g/2624fps
44.1g/2632fps
44.3g/2653fps
44.5g/2661fps
44.7g/2669fps
44.9g/2682fps
45.1g/2705fps
45.3g/2717fps
45.5 skipped/would not chamber? guess I F'd-up
45.7g/2727fps

pressure signs same as above with H 4350 and plan on continuing 46.5 if possible for next test!

Sorry for my late response, I finally got home from the Holiday.
Satterlee test:
H 4350
I started low , loads as follows
44.6g/2643fps
44.8g/2656fps
45.0g/2646fps
45.2g/2669fps
45.4g/2677fps
45.6g/2700fps
45.8g/2697fps
46.0g/2709fps
46.2g/2741fps
46.4g/2744fps
All loads above had easy bolt lift and primers were good with some flattening starting at 46.2g, I plan on going to 46.8g for next test!

RL 16
43.9g/2624fps
44.1g/2632fps
44.3g/2653fps
44.5g/2661fps
44.7g/2669fps
44.9g/2682fps
45.1g/2705fps
45.3g/2717fps
45.5 skipped/would not chamber? guess I F'd-up
45.7g/2727fps

pressure signs same as above with H 4350 and plan on continuing 46.5 if possible for next test!
Where you crunching any powder(compressing) loads at the those charges weights?

Not that I could hear or feel, I have the SAW II chamber and at least for load development I settle each round by vibrating the powdered case with my vibratory brass cleaner before seating bullets. I could not hear any powder while shaking loaded rounds once I got above 45 grains. I'm sure the upper loads are compressed.
I can't do much load development until January as being a postman I'm busier than a one legged man in a ass kicking contest!
I will post more results when possible.

Is anyone aware of any smiths that will chamber an Accuracy International prefit barrel in 7mm SAW? Clayton doesn't do profits.

MAJOR 7SAW CHAMBER TROUBLE HERE

I built a saw with 2 barrels over summer and am using the holiday to finally break it in but I'm stuck.
Reamer from WTO to my Smith.
500 alpha brass from WTO
New neck is .312.
With bullet seated is.313.
I CAN'T EVEN GET NEW BRASS IN THE CHAMBER.
I forced one with a rubber hammer and it came out .310.
What is going on. I assumed Clayton's alpha brass and type 1 chamber was a no neck turn combination.
I'm exceptionally frustrated and now will still not get to break this gun in?. This was my only chance to get this gun running as I live in a city and have a week off with my parents out in the country

Last edited:
MAJOR 7SAW CHAMBER TROUBLE HERE

I built a saw with 2 barrels over summer and am using the holiday to finally break it in but I'm stuck.
Reamer from WTO to my Smith.
500 alpha brass from WTO
New neck is .312.
With bullet seated is.313.
I CAN'T EVEN GET NEW BRASS IN THE CHAMBER.
I forced one with a rubber hammer and it came out .310.
What is going on. I assumed Clayton's alpha brass and type 1 chamber was a no neck turn combination.
I'm exceptionally frustrated and now will still not get to break this gun in?. This was my only chance to get this gun running as I live in a city and have a week off with my parents out in the country
I’m using Alpha brass and Type II chamber. I’ve had no problems with the virgin brass right out of the box. When I get home tonight I can measure the new necks and the once fired necks and let you know

Reactions: 1jonathan1994
I’m using Alpha brass and Type II chamber. I’ve had no problems with the virgin brass right out of the box. When I get home tonight I can measure the new necks and the once fired necks and let you know
I'm wondering if my Smith received a reamer for turning necks by accident.
I ordered a barrel, brass, dies, and reamer from WTO at the same time.
I may see if I can get Clayton. Hate to this close to Christmas

I'm wondering if my Smith received a reamer for turning necks by accident.
I ordered a barrel, brass, dies, and reamer from WTO at the same time.
I may see if I can get Clayton. Hate to this close to Christmas

I don't think he'd have any trouble speaking to you near the Christmas holiday - Clayton is good people! Just be realistic about it, obviously :)