• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAW

as much as i'd love to try staball 6.5 in my 7SAW for matches to have another option. i don't know how well it would work here in CO/WY with the 30-40 degree temp swings from zero to match end. plus i have a good speed already

as much as i'd love to try staball 6.5 in my 7SAW for matches to have another option. i don't know how well it would work here in CO/WY with the 30-40 degree temp swings from zero to match end. plus i have a good speed already
I bought some for my 260 AI. I did a very mild load of 140 ELDM's going 2800 FPS winter load. I'll see if there is any change in velocity during the summer.

Anyone done a short barrel hunting rifle? Been considering a 16” suppressed 7saw 175 eldx bullets should be a good mid range deer rifle for the kids and I. Wanted to see if anyone knew some velocities for a barrel that short

Anyone done a short barrel hunting rifle? Been considering a 16” suppressed 7saw 175 eldx bullets should be a good mid range deer rifle for the kids and I. Wanted to see if anyone knew some velocities for a barrel that short
I don't see why it wouldn't work great but I'd probably stick with the lighter weights 162s to get the extra speed or I'd even consider the 150s or 145 LRX ...
You'd probably be looking at 2550-2650 out of a 16in with the 162s. Might be able to bump that to 2700 by running it hot and with Staball or RL17.

Reactions: Garett73
I now have a set of go no/go gauges if anyone needs to borrow them let me know!
1000007985.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with necking down 308 Palma brass vs the original WTO Alpha brass?
Just curious if there is any velocity difference.
Thinking about building a lightweight 22" elk hunting rifle but would like to squeeze as much velocity out of it as I can.

Last edited:
I only used necked down 308 palma brass and was consistently hitting 2850fps out of two rifles. 46gr of RL16 out of 26” barrels

I only used necked down 308 palma brass and was consistently hitting 2850fps out of two rifles. 46gr of RL16 out of 26” barrels

Have you ever used Alpha brass?
I guess my question is, if both were loaded the same, with the same components and powder charge, which on has better velocity.

Example:
I pressure out at 41.5 with Alpha brass right at about 2700.
Will Lupua pressure out at 41.5 but maybe be at 2730???

I’m not sure but I’m hoping to try some resized Fury hybrid case at some point this year maybe get another 100 - 150 FPS on top of my alpha brass loads.

Reactions: Eric_F
I got out this last weekend with some Hammer Bullets for the first time. I was shooting the 145 gr HHTs. So far I am really impressed. The most consistent bullet I think I've ever used, and definitely outperforms all other copper monolithics. I'm primarily interested in hunting, so I've been focused on bonded and monolithic bullets.

I started out with a really mild load at 39 grains of Varget and went up to 40. Think I'll test up to 41 grains this weekend.

Reactions: FredHammer
I got out this last weekend with some Hammer Bullets for the first time. I was shooting the 145 gr HHTs. So far I am really impressed. The most consistent bullet I think I've ever used, and definitely outperforms all other copper monolithics. I'm primarily interested in hunting, so I've been focused on bonded and monolithic bullets.

I started out with a really mild load at 39 grains of Varget and went up to 40. Think I'll test up to 41 grains this weekend.
I do 42.5 gr of varget on my 145 LRX load at 2.875in
You have lots of room.

Reactions: fmillik

Hammer HH and HHT lines are some of the most bug holing bullets I've shot. Easy to load also. They aren't jump sensitive. My load development with them is 1/4 what I usually have to do with cup & core.

Hammer HH and HHT lines are some of the most bug holing bullets I've shot. Easy to load also. They aren't jump sensitive. My load development with them is 1/4 what I usually have to do with cup & core.
So far with my 7mmSAW I've tried:
  • Barnes 150gr TTSX
  • Berger 168 gr CH
  • Hammer 145 HHT
  • Hornady 162 SST
  • Hornady 162 eldx
  • Hornady 150 eldx
  • Hornady 150 CX
  • Nosler 168 ABLR
  • Nosler 160 Partition
  • Nosler 160 Accubond
  • Nosler 150 ABLR
  • Swift Scirocco 150 gr
For groups, the best have been the Berger 168 gr CH and now Hammer 145 gr HHT. Everything but the Nosler 168 gr ABLR and Swift Scirocco shot at least 1.5" or better. Most shot 1" or better.

I like trying out lots of different stuff, so I have a couple of powders and primers that I switch around to see if I can get everything to shoot well.

Right out of the gate, without anything special, the Hammer's really work well. And you are right, at the bottom of my ladder at 39.0 grs, I had one bullet of the three set .1" deeper, as I was surprised how far back I had to set my seating stem. I didn't want to pull the bullet and start fresh as I was at the bottom of my powder charge and I was mostly interested in bullet speed & pressure. Still shot a clover leaf. So very jump insensitive.

So far with my 7mmSAW I've tried:
  • Barnes 150gr TTSX
  • Berger 168 gr CH
  • Hammer 145 HHT
  • Hornady 162 SST
  • Hornady 162 eldx
  • Hornady 150 eldx
  • Hornady 150 CX
  • Nosler 168 ABLR
  • Nosler 160 Partition
  • Nosler 160 Accubond
  • Nosler 150 ABLR
  • Swift Scirocco 150 gr
For groups, the best have been the Berger 168 gr CH and now Hammer 145 gr HHT. Everything but the Nosler 168 gr ABLR and Swift Scirocco shot at least 1.5" or better. Most shot 1" or better.

I like trying out lots of different stuff, so I have a couple of powders and primers that I switch around to see if I can get everything to shoot well.

Right out of the gate, without anything special, the Hammer's really work well. And you are right, at the bottom of my ladder at 39.0 grs, I had one bullet of the three set .1" deeper, as I was surprised how far back I had to set my seating stem. I didn't want to pull the bullet and start fresh as I was at the bottom of my powder charge and I was mostly interested in bullet speed & pressure. Still shot a clover leaf. So very jump insensitive.
Damn, you ain't playin!
I can find a load with a Hammer with a soft taper crimp in either the second or first PDR valley from tip. I think my 300WM 154 HHT is .120 off lands and insanely accurate. I think the reason might be the mono copper has less rifling engraving than C&C and the jumps give them the engraving they need. A machined bullet is also way more dimensionally consistent.

Anyone have photos of 168, 175, or 180 grain bergers next to the 7 SAW case - at max magazine length (2.96 ish) or seated at the lands? Trying to see how far back the bullet pressure ring is relative to the case neck. Thanks!

Anyone have photos of 168, 175, or 180 grain bergers next to the 7 SAW case - at max magazine length (2.96 ish) or seated at the lands? Trying to see how far back the bullet pressure ring is relative to the case neck. Thanks!
This is 180 ELD-M and 180 Hybrid both at 2.96xx
Not a great picture, but you get the idea

Attachments

• 20240330_084156~2.jpg
    20240330_084156~2.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Sw long rifle getting 2795 fps starting load. Havent found much time with the 25 saw lately.
Gotcha, I haven’t played much with my 7 SAW but always thinking about the next project haha.

I may have missed it in your post. What length barrel you running on that 25?

Gotcha, I haven’t played much with my 7 SAW but always thinking about the next project haha.

I may have missed it in your post. What length barrel you running on that 25?
26" Preferred Barrel Blanks has the reamer now.

I ordered up a 7saw prefit from preferred went 18” for a light weight suppressed build.

Anyone have an old set of dies? Getting ready to order some from wto figured I’d ask here first?

Reactions: santee116
I do 42.5 gr of varget on my 145 LRX load at 2.875in
You have lots of room.
Hey dude. I’m interested in building a 7 saw to shoot 139/145 LRXs.
Type 1 or 2? Barrel length? Velocity? Load data?
I’m hoping for 2850ish with a 22in pushing 145s or close to 2950 with 139s.

Hey dude. I’m interested in building a 7 saw to shoot 139/145 LRXs.
Type 1 or 2? Barrel length? Velocity? Load data?
I’m hoping for 2850ish with a 22in pushing 145s or close to 2950 with 139s.
Type 2.
Bartelin 3B
22in

I have 2 loads for 145 LRX
Varget is 42.5 at 2.875 to fit the Hawkins hunter mags in my MPA ultra lite chassis. 2850 FPS no pressure
But I'm working on switching over to staball because I'm switching my 162 and 166 loads to staball
For 145 LRX. 49.0gr of Staball gives me 2880 FPS. Could easily bump it to 49.5 - 51 but at 49.0 I have the same poi at 100y than my 162 eldm and 166 loads so if I have to shoot a deer or a bear inside of 200m I'll use the LRX. The 162/166 do too much meat damage at close range.

Haven't tried the 139 but I can get 2900 FPS out of the 162 with Staball so I don't see how you wouldn't be able to get 2950 with either varget or staball out of Alpha brass if you don't mind working the case a little bit.

Type 2.
Bartelin 3B
22in

I have 2 loads for 145 LRX
Varget is 42.5 at 2.875 to fit the Hawkins hunter mags in my MPA ultra lite chassis. 2850 FPS no pressure
But I'm working on switching over to staball because I'm switching my 162 and 166 loads to staball
For 145 LRX. 49.0gr of Staball gives me 2880 FPS. Could easily bump it to 49.5 - 51 but at 49.0 I have the same poi at 100y than my 162 eldm and 166 loads so if I have to shoot a deer or a bear inside of 200m I'll use the LRX. The 162/166 do too much meat damage at close range.

Haven't tried the 139 but I can get 2900 FPS out of the 162 with Staball so I don't see how you wouldn't be able to get 2950 with either varget or staball out of Alpha brass if you don't mind working the case a little bit.
How has the accuracy been with the Staball?

How has the accuracy been with the Staball?
Reasonable. Decent SD/ES - generally 5-7 SD, 15-20 ES over 10 shots (I use a chargemaster then trickle with a gempro 350), seems temp stable and I haven't played with seating depth but it's a consistent 3/4-1 moa over 5 shots with the odd 1/2 moa 3 shot group. Could be me.
Varget was more of a 1/2 - 3/4 but 100 FPS slower with the 162/166. Haven't fully committed to one over the other yet

Reactions: xsn10s
There's a Curtis / Terminus carbon fiber 7mmSAW barrel for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.