• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7x57 Graves Improved Tight Neck

blboyd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2005
Conroe, TX
boydtechsolutions.com
Guys I need some help....

I had a rifle fall in my lap from a friend... Father-in-law passed away and was an avid collector...

This is a Ruger M77 rebarreled into 7x57mm Graves Improved Tight Neck. I have a couple pieces of brass and they look like an Ackley Improved but the barrel is stamped Graves Improved Tight Neck.

Has anyone heard of this caliber or have any info on it?

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

Re: 7x57 Graves Improved Tight Neck

Have your friend look for the reloading dies for that one.

Is the barrel marked with the gunsmith's name? May you could contact them for chamber dimensions.

Good Luck

Jerry

I haven't dismantled the weapon yet to look for the smith's name. It could be on the bottom of the barrel where you can't see it with the stock on.

I haven't done a chamber cast yet. I do have a couple pieces of fireformed brass that came with it.

Thanks for the help guys!
Brandon

Is it formed from "regular" 7x57 brass? If so, and assuming your friend cannot locate the loading dies, I'd have your few pieces sent off to one of the Reloading manufacturers (RCBS, Hornady, etc) and have a die set made. You can have them custom made to your brass if you supply them. It will cost you, though. I would guess that is is just a 7x57 AI, only with a tight necked chamber. But I have been wrong before.

Kaiser Norton