• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A cool (and heartbreaking) find

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
So, my wife was digging out the wood shed at our new place and found some old letters (with 6 cent stamps on them, boy scouts I think), and this.

250639_1570003670398_1844673127_1013470_5192563_n.jpg

Remington 721 according to the action. No idea on serial number yet, not caliber. Not sure I am going to go to the trouble of doing even that. Might just clear lacquer it and build a show box for it for shits and giggles. Not certain if it is worth the time cleaning it up. What say you guys?

Enjoy!

Re: A cool (and heartbreaking) find

Bolt handle is gone, trigger group is rusted in place, barrel has rust inside it (not totally sure yet if it is unloaded, stored outside for now till I make it safe).

Caliber is unknown (at work without my calipers) and I can not bring it inside (I work in a jail. Even rusted firearms are a no-no).

Still need to get the serial number to find out if it is stolen and return it to the owner.

Get some Oxy Pho and dunk it and soak it for a couple of weeks. It will clean it up and preserve what is left. JMHO

Clear laquer and shadow box it with the letters. Hang it on the wall over the fireplace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coast2coast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool find. Is it action seized? </div></div>

Common sense would say yes.

Nothin a little Sulfuric acid and Rodine 31A cant fix.
wink.gif

So, is the 721 action any good? Is it worth cleaning up and new components? Or just buy a new action for the work this one will need?

And yeah, action seized to my knowledge. I have not looked at it super closely, but is pretty rusted. Guess common sense says it is a decoration now...

I saw the bolt handle was missing. I wondered if you found out the hard way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very carefully slide a rod down the bore and measure it to see if it has a round in the chamber. </div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking. I just have to wait till I am off duty to dink around on it.

Bolt handle is still somewhere in the shed, I think....still curious where the remnants of the stock are...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it worth cleaning up and new components? </div></div>
What would make you think this was a good or viable option??

The 721 is an old action they made them from 1948 to the early 60's and built very well and strong. I would be afraid to try and rebuild that action considering the condition it is in.. besides it might be stolen or worse yet used in a homicide
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> besides it might be stolen or worse yet used in a homicide
shocked.gif
. </div></div>

That's what jumped at me right off.

Murder weapon buried in the ol' woodshed............

So the rest of the story:

A felon did not want to get busted with possessing a firearm and buried his rifle and shotgun in his wood shed. That story is many years old. No one wanted to go dig up the shed to confirm the possession, and so the story has been passed around.

Found out the guys name, and that is the previous owner of my house. Rifle is clear, never reported stolen.

Wife is digging up the wood shed for the side by side shotgun that is out there!
grin.gif

That's pretty cool, not that it really matters but were you able to find out how long ago it was buried?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, my wife was digging out the wood shed at our new place </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wife is digging up the wood shed for the side by side shotgun that is out there!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Can I send my woman to you for training?

gee.. some guys have all the luck.... All I ever found in this house was FIX ME signs....

Great find bud...

Did the letters have anything to do with the buried firearms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is the 721 action any good? Is it worth cleaning up and new components? </div></div>

Sure! Spray some KROIL on it an let it soak overnight. Good Stuff.

Let us know how it shoots...

So far no shotgun. We have one more shed to dig through. Going to wait until we extend it (currently houses the rabbits). So we will see if we can find a shotgun or not.

Doubled: Not sure I want her sharing secrets. We are still looking for gold...or at least something NOT rusted and useless.

Goatphius: Unfortunately no, the letters had nothing to do with the rifle.

StanwoodSpartan: Check your PM box.

So..... let me get this straight.

You found an old rusted rifle that was buried on prison grounds?
And you dig it up? I would put it back in its grave and run away... if might have lives on it. If you get my drift

wink.gif

FYI, When Remington began shipping the very first M721's they were anxious to get them out the door, but hadn't received the serial number roll stamping fixture, so they engraved the first (not sure how many - 4 to 6 months) rifles that were shipped inside the LH raceway accross from loading port. These were nearly all 30-06 cal.