• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A few bedding tips (Pic Hvy) Sav,Rem,Howa NU PICS

On a Howa I don't tape the action at all anymore. I use to if Inwas going to paint it myself after bedding. I just fill in any hole that I don't want epoxy in with clay and use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release. After 2 to 3 coats of that I buff and then spray with the slide mild release for a little extra insurance. I let that dry (gas off) before I let the Devon touch it. That normally gets me the fit I want. The Howa front lug is about perfectly shaped to give you a positive exact position in the stock. If it is a solid stock and its bedded properly, you should be able to take it in and out of stock and be very close to zero.

On a Howa I don't tape the action at all anymore. I use to if Inwas going to paint it myself after bedding. I just fill in any hole that I don't want epoxy in with clay and use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release. After 2 to 3 coats of that I buff and then spray with the slide mild release for a little extra insurance. I let that dry (gas off) before I let the Devon touch it. That normally gets me the fit I want. The Howa front lug is about perfectly shaped to give you a positive exact position in the stock. If it is a solid stock and its bedded properly, you should be able to take it in and out of stock and be very close to zero.

Thanks for the reply Scimitar,

Regarding the older Sakos .... just thinking, as you don't tape the Howa due to its angled lug shape, maybe I should only tape the front vertical part and maybe the sides of the recoil lug as in the photo. Leaving that curved front section of the lug untaped to help position the action in the stock as you say the Howa does.

What is your thoughts on that?

DSC_1057 (Medium).JPG

What a very good post, thanks for putting this out I know it was a lot of work for you